• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
already have battery bitching in this thread.

IPhone users complain about battery life too, but it's just not comparable. Manufacturers have done a better job of putting ij bigger batteries in android phones, but it's still a much more common problem on that platform sue to the nature of the OS.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
hype.jpg

The correct answer is: re-schedule the chiropractor appointment.

Also, all the hp touchpad talk is silly. That device exemplifies the differences between what someone like soldier wants and what most people want. I made the touchpad op, I fought that device and software and tweaked it extensively. But that's not what I wanted to keep doing, so I sold it and bought an iPad. Anybody who has any sense and the money would've done the same, or at least gotten an actual android tablet.

Next time you see soldier post about windows phone and why it sucks, remember the guy is content with a tablet that dual boots operating systems, has no official support, and even half a year later doesn't have a working camera on the android boot. To each his own.

The real question is do you really need a see a chiropractor period? I'm joking ofcourse.....

....but also serious.

gcubed

IPhone users complain about battery life too, but it's just not comparable. Manufacturers have done a better job of putting ij bigger batteries in android phones, but it's still a much more common problem on that platform sue to the nature of the OS.

yeah, still living in the past i see. You really should check out android past 2010... alot has happened since the Nexus 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
yeah, still living in the past i see. You really should check out android past 2010... alot has happened since the Nexus 1

Lol, ok, I'll just pretend along with you that the galaxy nexus thread doesn't exist. Its getting better man, but you aren't stupid, you know power management is still an issue for android. Again, part of it is the software, part of it is the cutting edge tech, but why pretend like its not a bigger problem there than elsewhere? I dont love windows phone enough to cover up its faults or pretend they dont exist.

kehs

Banned
Lol, ok, I'll just pretend along with you that the galaxy nexus thread doesn't exist. Its getting better man, but you aren't stupid, you know power management is still an issue for android. Again, part of it is the software, party of it is the cutting edge tech, but why pretend like its not a bigger problem there than elsewhere? I dont love windows phone enough to cover up its faults or pretend they dont exist.

LTE radios have always been battery rapers.

gcubed

Lol, ok, I'll just pretend along with you that the galaxy nexus thread doesn't exist. Its getting better man, but you aren't stupid, you know power management is still an issue for android. Again, part of it is the software, part of it is the cutting edge tech, but why pretend like its not a bigger problem there than elsewhere? I dont love windows phone enough to cover up its faults or pretend they dont exist.

The last 2 phones released beat the iphone4 (not 4s) for battery life, with LTE radios.

I dont feel like posting a wall of images, but a cursory glance at anandtech shows me a lumia900 in the middle to the bottom of the pack under a lot of android devices.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5724/nokia-lumia-900-review-supersized-with-lte/3

I'm sure WP will increase as well, once you can use chipsets from this decade.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The last 2 phones released beat the iphone4 (not 4s) for battery life, with LTE radios.

*waves hand* android has no battery management issues

Your Jedi mind tricks dont work in reality, sir. I did say it was getting better, ignore what you will and pretend that it's all in the past now, I dont give a shit, but you can't control what other people post on android phone threads. The problem is not a thing of the past.

gcubed

*waves hand* android has no battery management issues

Your Jedi mind tricks dont work in reality, sir. I did say it was getting better, ignore what you will and pretend that it's all in the past now, I dont give a shit, but you can't control what other people post on android phone threads. The problem is not a thing of the past.

i'm trying to use actual tests and actual reviews of actual devices from anandtech... unless you're lumping them into the "meanies" crowd with the verge now. Not sure what else i need to do. The battery life is getting better due to better processor technology sure, but battery life is approaching latest gen iphone levels. You're like talking to a child sometimes.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
i'm trying to use actual tests and actual reviews of actual devices. Not sure what else i need to do. You're like talking to a child sometimes.

What you are saying is that android no longer suffers from power management issues? I just want to make sure I'm not misinterpreting you right now, because the last time you and I had a debate, you flat out lied about never having managed apps on android.

gcubed

What you are saying is that android no longer suffers from power management issues? I just want to make sure I'm not misinterpreting you right now, because the last time you and I had a debate, you flat out lied about never having managed apps on android.

no, i asked you what you meant by managing apps and once you explained I agreed. That entire conversation started from someone complaining about getting app updates on his phone, which is what i based my conversation on... but again, that was a 2010 problem anyway.

Android can definitely have issues with poorly written apps and can kill your battery quickly. I even admitted (post edit) that the gains are coming from processor improvements mainly, but talk time, web browsing time and video watching time of 2012 android phones all exceeds the Lumia... which will undoubtedly reverse once WP8 releases and can take advantage of the newer chips.

We have a little over an hour left for some hopefully exciting news on WP8. I always feel bad arguing about android in the WP thread. Lets get back on the hype train and let brotkasten be a wet towel

kehs

Banned
I actually set my alarm to 6 am to catch the keynote.

How fucking upset was I when I woke up this morning and realized I went in the wrong direction with timezones.

frontieruk

i'm trying to use actual tests and actual reviews of actual devices from anandtech... unless you're lumping them into the "meanies" crowd with the verge now. Not sure what else i need to do. The battery life is getting better due to better processor technology sure, but battery life is approaching latest gen iphone levels. You're like talking to a child sometimes.

Common guys can't we all just share in the down trodden low expectation shadow of the ms event in peace?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
conference starts at 9:30 does it not? He's releasing it as soon as it starts

I thought it was 9, but they were late to start the surface press conference, so who knows. If they start on time, Paul's "scoop" will be old news, since almost every conference is front-loaded. I'd rather he spill it at 9 when it starts.

kehs

Banned
I thought it was 9, but they were late to start the surface press conference, so who knows. If they start on time, Paul's "scoop" will be old news, since almost every conference is front-loaded. I'd rather he spill it at 9 when it starts.

There's probably a shitload of people with NDA expiring at the exact same time, he's just trying to capitalize by teasing it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There's probably a shitload of people with NDA expiring at the exact same time, he's just trying to capitalize by teasing it.

If thats true I expect a bunch of tech sites with pictures of Nelson pointing at windows phone 7 users and laughing at exactly 12:30 EST.

frontieruk

hey, my expectations are higher after Monday.

You enjoy listening to balmer scream developers, developers, developers? That's what this event is going to be as it'll be about the convergence of the trinity of mobile, desktop and livingroom and how RT and contracts will make microsofts Eco system the one to be on with it's write once deploy to many mantra

Pachimari

What are the great apps and games for Nokia Lumia 800 and how many GBs does it come with?

I'm thinking these I could need so far:

Nokia Drive (is it a good free GPS?)
RSS Reader (Which one is the best?)
Skype (Is there IM+? Viber? Yahoo? Windows Messenger?)
Facebook (can I share photos and statuses natively through the OS?)
Facebook Messenger (does it have it?)
Spotify (is it out for WP7?)
Sports Tracker (or does it only have Endomondo?)
XE Currency
Sound Hound
Amazon
Mail (can I use Gmail with the stock mail app?)

What are the great apps (besides angry birds, pvz and cut the rope)?

Can I see the Windows Phone app marketplace online?

Troll

Banned
iMovie and iPhoto are paid apps. Not really fair to ask for their features to be integrated..

Actually, iOS has had native editing features for pictures/video for a while now. Nothing like iMovies but you can still clip your movies, crop your pics and reduce red-eye. Simple things like that.

What are the great apps and games for Nokia Lumia 800 and how many GBs does it come with?

XE Currency
Sound Hound
Amazon

1. Nokia Drive is good
2. I like Wonder Reader
3. There is a Skype app and an IM+ app. Windows Live Messenger is a build-in feature, no need for an app
4. Build in
5. Build in
6. There's an official Spotify app
7. Official Endomondo app is available in the marketplace
8. ???
9. Official app is available
10. Official app is available and pretty awesome
11. Of course you can

Here's the link to the web marketplace: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/marketplace

frontieruk

XE Currency
Sound Hound
Amazon

Endomondo support on wp7 is a bit lacking, I found sports tracker a more reliable app

Pachimari

1. Nokia Drive is good
2. I like Wonder Reader
3. There is a Skype app and an IM+ app. Windows Live Messenger is a build-in feature, no need for an app
4. Build in
5. Build in
8. ???
11. Of course you can

Here's the link to the web marketplace: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/marketplace
Thanks, was of much help! I'll check out your link.

With XE Currency, would there be an alternative currency converter?

Endomondo support on wp7 is a bit lacking, I found sports tracker a more reliable app
So Sports Tracker is available on WP7?

NeOak

Thanks, was of much help! I'll check out your link.

With XE Currency, would there be an alternative currency converter?

So Sports Tracker is available on WP7?

I saw a XE Currency app in the marketplace, don't know if its official though.

Pachimari

I saw a XE Currency app in the marketplace, don't know if its official though.

It looks pretty official with the official logo etc. Great.

But now Windows Phone 8 were announced. To get Nokia Lumia 800 in magenta or to wait yet again for WP8 and for Nokia to hopefully design a new phone that looks like Lumia 800 with curved glass and the same size but maybe with a front camera.. =/

EDIT:
I'm checking out the Danish marketplace on that link, and it turns out a lot of those apps aren't available.

Can I somehow download them from the American marketplace and use them here in Denmark anyway?

NeOak

It looks pretty official with the official logo etc. Great.

But now Windows Phone 8 were announced. To get Nokia Lumia 800 in magenta or to wait yet again for WP8 and for Nokia to hopefully design a new phone that looks like Lumia 800 with curved glass and the same size but maybe with a front camera.. =/

EDIT:
I'm checking out the Danish marketplace on that link, and it turns out a lot of those apps aren't available.

Can I somehow download them from the American marketplace and use them here in Denmark anyway?

I think so. But forget about WP7. It's not upgradeable to WP8.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Not sure how that conference could've been any worse. Not only did they ignore current users, there was nothing exciting, nothing innovative, and the start screen changes really were for the worse.

I'll wait for more info, but as more stuff is written, it just seems to be worse and worse for current users, and if there was a big software feature for Apollo, Joe would've mentioned it. This is like e3, and now Google is given the chance to shine, lets see what they have to show, hopefully they dont bungle it like Nintendo.

Firestorm

1. Nokia Drive is good
2. I like Wonder Reader
4. Build in
5. Build in
8. ???
11. Of course you can

There's an official XE Currency app that I used. Works very well. Stores the currency rates until next time you have the app open.

Facebook Messenger isn't built-in, Facebook Chat is. Works great if the other person is online but if they're offline you'll have to go into the Facebook app. For some reason not even the People Hub has a way of messaging the person (just writing on their wall).

Skype IM is crap right now but I assume will be better with WP8. Live Messenger is awesome aside from not letting you send offline messages. Also not sure how well it syncs statuses (so if your desktop puts you on away I'm not sure if it shows you as away because I think the phone has you on online unless you manually change it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom