• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Not sure how that conference could've been any worse. Not only did they ignore current users, there was nothing exciting, nothing innovative, and the start screen changes really were for the worse.

I'll wait for more info, but as more stuff is written, it just seems to be worse and worse for current users, and if there was a big software feature for Apollo, Joe would've mentioned it. This is like e3, and now Google is given the chance to shine, lets see what they have to show, hopefully they dont bungle it like Nintendo.

When is the next WP event? They did say they wouldn't be showing user facing features, so theres a little hope for some cool stuff.

Not sure how that conference could've been any worse. Not only did they ignore current users, there was nothing exciting, nothing innovative, and the start screen changes really were for the worse.

I'll wait for more info, but as more stuff is written, it just seems to be worse and worse for current users, and if there was a big software feature for Apollo, Joe would've mentioned it. This is like e3, and now Google is given the chance to shine, lets see what they have to show, hopefully they dont bungle it like Nintendo.

Not true!

OtKHc.jpg

Milchjon

:'(

This is worse than expected. I didn't need a WP8 upgrade, but I wanted something to excite me, not something that makes the good stuff worse and improves nothing.

I thought MS was all in.

Troll

Banned
:'(

This is worse than expected. I didn't need a WP8 upgrade, but I wanted something to excite me, not something that makes the good stuff worse and improves nothing.

I thought MS was all in.

I would say they are. Actually I would go as far to say that they just went balls deep in the Lumia 900 buyers.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not mad, but I'm not a brand new customer either. WP7 will still get new apps for a while. We are not completely abandoned imo.

PG2G

I'm actually pretty happy with what they showed. They have addressed pretty much all of my major concerns.

The only negative is the update thing, but we were kind of prepared for that.

giga

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/20/3098818/windows-phone-8-app-speech-features

Man, this isn't a Siri-like API (or Siri itself). It's basically a speech recognition API that devs can use to trigger certain actions. A real Siri API (which Apple has yet to deliver) would be something that extends Siri itself when you ask it a question or tell it do something.

As an AI, it should be able to understand semantics in interpreting different ways a user might ask the phone something. This is understandably a pretty difficult thing to deliver, but those are my expectations.

Edit: Something like this: http://blog.teaapp.com/post/24212825807/tea-earl-grey-hot-what-would-a-siri-api-look-like

JaggedSac

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/20/3098818/windows-phone-8-app-speech-features

Man, this isn't a Siri-like API (or Siri itself). It's basically a speech recognition API that devs can use to trigger certain actions. A real Siri API (which Apple has yet to deliver) would be something that extends Siri itself when you ask it a question or tell it do something.

As an AI, it should be able to understand semantics in interpreting different ways a user might ask the phone something. This is understandably a pretty difficult thing to deliver, but those are my expectations.

Edit: Something like this: http://blog.teaapp.com/post/24212825807/tea-earl-grey-hot-what-would-a-siri-api-look-like

A speech recognition API is pretty neat. Up to developers to use it. I think contracts would allow for the functionality that you are linking to.

Application listens for command, speech api parses audio, app looks to see if an app for a certain contract exists, if it does, get data from app. Though the developer would have to do semantic analysis themselves.

giga

A speech recognition API is pretty neat. Up to developers to use it. I think contracts would allow for the functionality that you are linking to.

Application listens for command, speech api parses audio, app looks to see if an app for a certain contract exists, if it does, get data from app. Though the developer would have to do semantic analysis themselves.
I think the "listens for command" is the tricky part. The natural language processing is key here.

Also, app contracts are in? I didn't see a mention of it but that would be awesome.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Conflicted ignoring the update thing and just looking at Win 8 I feel like MS delivered on a lot of stuff that'll help the platform grow especially in the developer space. Yet I feel like I'm just not excited.... IDK WTF to think of how I feel about that..

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I think the "listens for command" is the tricky part. The natural language processing is key here.

Also, app contracts are in? I didn't see a mention of it but that would be awesome.
i don't think they talked about it but contracts were in that leak way back in february, just about everything in that thing was reveled today. honestly, 99% of the stuff they announced had been leaked ahead of time.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-phone-8-preview-142154

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-phone-8/windows-phone-8-unveiled-143477

kehs

Banned

PG2G

Anything about system wide search?

I'm guessing stuff like system wide search, games updates, music/video updates, etc are all considered consumer facing features so I wouldn't count them out because they weren't discussed.

I am slightly concerned by the lack of skydrive mention, it'd be nice to have found out that that works like windows 8 where app settings can be sync'd to the cloud. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

gcubed

Conflicted ignoring the update thing and just looking at Win 8 I feel like MS delivered on a lot of stuff that'll help the platform grow especially in the developer space. Yet I feel like I'm just not excited.... IDK WTF to think of how I feel about that..

i think they did a good job on showing the platform will have apps. Wait until they show consumer features before getting to meh on it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'm guessing stuff like system wide search, games updates, music/video updates, etc are all considered consumer facing features so I wouldn't count them out because they weren't discussed.

I am slightly concerned by the lack of skydrive mention, it'd be nice to have found out that that works like windows 8 where app settings can be sync'd to the cloud. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
there was an image a couple weeks back that showed that skype call screen that was shown off as well i think something about skydrive, so i'm pretty sure its in there somewhere.

clav

WP7 users have go to ly dow,

Why would you feel excited, especially for the Lumia 600 users?

You just got the axe.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

I am very simple minded. If it looks good, I'll want it.

I don't want this.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't get the start screen hate. You make it what you want and everything else like hubs and app design is still the same.

I really don't get the start screen hate. You make it what you want and everything else like hubs and app design is still the same.

It really depends if the app list is still there. I don't want that every single app I download shits up my start screen.

But seriously, it has to be there, right?

PG2G

Especially when people have been asking for the ability to have larger tiles so that more information is shown. You guys are crazy for complaining that small tiles exist when you don't even need to use them.

Edit: The app list BETTER still be there, lol. Was there something that suggested otherwise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom