• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

Whew. Just popped a ice cold Dew, and watched the Summit after work. Gotta say, Joe is a fantastic presenter. If it had been that Terry guy the whole time...bleh, was about the quit watching when Joe finally came out and started talking.

So it looks like we got the broad platform strokes today. The stuff the caused dudes like Topolsky to claim Windows Phone didn't deserve a pass anymore. Common Core, Dual core, HD resolutions, faster browser, native code, NFC, Nokia Maps(turn by turn!), MicroSD!, IT Enterprise advancements, Wallet(really jazzed about this one honestly), and... the new Start screen.

Now design wise, I'm a big Minimalist. WP7 start screen makes me happy. It's simple, intuitive, and quick. Windows Phone 8's screen, while optionally far more busy, and yeah, ugly, is now far more practical. I can build a screen around the frequency I use apps, and prioritize apps that are best used with more space, which means I can have a start screen that ideally I don't have to scroll down at all to get to an app I use frequently because I can shrink apps that either don't suit a nice large live tile or aren't used as much I liked how they typified certain user start screens based on the type of interests they held, different configurations, and I started to jones to put my specific tile use together. I never liked having to scroll down, so I ultimately like the new start. I can get to apps quicker, and we get new uses out of live tiles with bigger sizes.

So now we get to follow the bread crumbs over the next few months as they trickle out the consumer updates to WP8. Looking forward to hearing what they have to say about new UI functionality, and features.

Overall, these are the broad strokes they had to meet, nothing too innovative, hopefully we'll hear some cool stuff over the next bit that do new things we haven't seen before on other platforms. Hearing legacy phones won't get the full update sucks, especially for 900 owners, but it had to happen to take the necessary leap forward to compete as a platform. I'm a Focus owner, still locked in till November, so the timing of the generational shift is going to work well for me. Now its just a matter of seeing what all the new phones reveals are from Nokia/HTC, Apple and Android are by November. Right now there has to be something really compelling to break me from the Windows Phone platform. I hoping for a big, all chips in phone from Nokia this fall. Better be damn good.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Whew. Just popped a ice cold Dew, and watched the Summit after work. Gotta say, Joe is a fantastic presenter. If it had been that Terry guy the whole time...bleh, was about the quit watching when Joe finally came out and started talking.

So it looks like we got the broad platform strokes today. The stuff the caused dudes like Topolsky to claim Windows Phone didn't deserve a pass anymore. Common Core, Dual core, HD resolutions, faster browser, native code, NFC, Nokia Maps(turn by turn!), MicroSD!, IT Enterprise advancements, Wallet(really jazzed about this one honestly), and... the new Start screen.

Now design wise, I'm a big Minimalist. WP7 start screen makes me happy. It's simple, intuitive, and quick. Windows Phone 8's screen, while optionally far more busy, and yeah, ugly, is now far more practical. I can build a screen around the frequency I use apps, and prioritize apps that are best used with more space, which means I can have a start screen that ideally I don't have to scroll down at all to get to an app I use frequently because I can shrink apps that either don't suit a nice large live tile or aren't used as much I liked how they typified certain user start screens based on the type of interests they held, different configurations, and I started to jones to put my specific tile use together. I never liked having to scroll down, so I ultimately like the new start. I can get to apps quicker, and we get new uses out of live tiles with bigger sizes.

So now we get to follow the bread crumbs over the next few months as they trickle out the consumer updates to WP8. Looking forward to hearing what they have to say about new UI functionality, and features.

Overall, these are the broad strokes they had to meet, nothing too innovative, hopefully we'll hear some cool stuff over the next bit that do new things we haven't seen before on other platforms. Hearing legacy phones won't get the full update sucks, especially for 900 owners, but it had to happen to take the necessary leap forward to compete as a platform. I'm a Focus owner, still locked in till November, so the timing of the generational shift is going to work well for me. Now its just a matter of seeing what all the new phones reveals are from Nokia/HTC, Apple and Android are by November. Right now there has to be something really compelling to break me from the Windows Phone platform. I hoping for a big, all chips in phone from Nokia this fall. Better be damn good.

Great post.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I went through a few articles, i think this is a good overview:

• Windows Phone 8
  • NT Kernal
  • WP8 can run WP7 apps, WP7 cannot run WP8 apps. WP7 is getting the new start screen.
  • WinRTP Runtime, similar to WinRT but not completely the same.
  • Multi-Core Support (dual core phones this fall) (quad core expected 2013)
  • C, C++
  • Direct X, Direct 3D
  • Havoc Engine
  • SQL Lite Database Engine
  • 3 Resolutions - WXGA (1280x768), 720p (1280x720), WVGA (800x480). 15:9 or 16:9
  • removable microSD Storage - supports app installs
  • Data Smart - reduces data by handing it off to WiFi when available and uses browser proxy service that limits IE10 data usage.
  • New Local Scout Feature to help you find nearby Wifi hotspots. New Personal Recommendation Feature
  • New Start Screen - 3 Tile Sizes, ability to fill entire screen.
  • SkyDrive - Can be used for Music and Videos now, can be accessed from the new Xbox Music/Video apps. Will be able to navigate into Phone's storage from Web like you can with your PC.
  • Games Hub is now Xbox Games App.
  • IE10.
  • Rich Communications Suite - Apps can more easily integrate into the phone. Messaging App could add a Chat link to a contact card for example.
  • Skype - Skype Call option will appear next to Phone Numbers. Runs in background. Other Viop Apps can have similar integration. Stil a separate app.
  • NFC Support - Wallet App, can use Secure Sim.
  • Camera Lense Apps - lets third parties plug into Camera and appear as the camera App when you press the camera app(i guess you can set a default app for your camera?) Your Picture Folder will allow you to tell which camera app took the picture and let you edit it in that app.
  • App to App Communications - Windows 8 Contracts stuff
  • Bing being integrated into Marketplace search. - Automatic Lists of Good Apps that match your buying and download habits. New sections - Top Free Apps, Top Apps For You, New and Notable Apps.
  • Device Encryption - Device and Storage Card, hardware acceleration and on by default.
  • Secure Boot
  • Office 2013
  • Device Management Functionality
  • Side Loading of Business Applications - Business can become a registered App developer, "nominal" subscription fee.
  • Business can create their own hub. For example provide a panoramic view of Company Apps, links and other information for employees.
  • Nokia Maps (replacing Bing Maps?) - Global Navteg Map data, offline support, turn by turn navigation (can now run in background). Work with Voice.
  • In-App Payments
  • Voip and Location based apps background multitasking
  • OTA Updates
  • Updates supported at least 18 months
  • Ability to opt in to bypass carriers to receive updates faster
  • Nokia, Huawei, Samsung, and HTC phones coming late 2012. Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus SoC, MSM8960 , dual core krait with Adreno 225. 180 Countries. 50 Languages.
  • At&t, T-Mobile, Verizon all in late 2012.
  • Dev Tools coming, (VS) uses Hyper V for Device Emulation.
  • Zynga Games coming to WP later this year.
  • speech- app level speech integration
  • Exposing Voip and speech to devs to use in any app.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I dont know, unified notifications and full device backup still haven't been addressed. I could see that being a point of contention for the lumia 910 release.

PG2G

I think Microsoft's solution to notifications is to allow you to cram 28 icons on one screen. They have been against a "junk drawer" for the last year, I really don't expect that to change.

Windu

I dont know, unified notifications and full device backup still haven't been addressed. I could see that being a point of contention for the lumia 910 release.
there is not going to be a notification center for WP, the Windows 8 guys have said that they don't like it. They have said if a notification is important, notify the user with a popup and then put it on the tile. And i'm sure device backup is coming.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wallet?

gKqqH.png

but

Sadly people in NA have heard this promises before. None of this has actually ever panned out though. Much bigger deal for European customers. Passbook could be cool, but good look seeing anything close to Wallet in the US anytime soon. Carriers like to block this shit for their own stuff waaayyy to much.

Oh, I thought that was what rozay meant when he said "unfortunate".

Edit: Why is it scoring lower than the Galaxy S2?

We're fucked via the chipset pipeline and patients on just wtf we have available that actually has LTE in it. This year there really isn't much choice except what's already out there.

It's why earlier in this thread I told you I don't really expect anything better hardware wise on android for the rest of the year in NA. All NA carriers basically refuse to launch non LTE phones at this point.

Seems like everyone and their brother should have this figured out sometime next year, but in the mean time we've got what we've got. It doesn't appear there is any magic voodoo to fix it for fall phones either outside of whatever genius Apple themselves cook up since they have a more direct hand in the creation/supply line of their chipsets.

giga

Here's my "low hanging fruit" from earlier this year: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34379193&postcount=18677

Still lots of stuff to improve upon, but Skydrive has fixed full size photo uploads (I think) and OTA updates are confirmed so far. In addition to those, I'm hoping for a real brightness adjuster instead of just the three settings we have now. In the browser, I want a forward button and find in page. In email, I want an option to load all images as default. Something like scroll to top (or bottom) would be welcome…but that's probably not happening because the status bar still is hidden by default grr.

Edit: More! Orientation lock. Email conversation view. Google search option instead of Bing (lol). Private browsing. Draggable scroll bar.

Sadly people in NA have heard this promises before. None of this has actually ever panned out though. Much bigger deal for European customers. Passbook could be cool, but good look seeing anything close to Wallet in the US anytime soon. Carriers like to block this shit for their own stuff waaayyy to much.
Joe even said that Wallet payment options won't come to the US until next year at least because they're still working with the carriers on ISIS. They only announced support for Orange today.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah I heard that as well with regards to Wallet which still gets me back to the question.

Was there anything shown today that would actually get people on iOS or Android to make the switch? WP8 seems to be getting closer to feature parody with both the other big ecosystems, but I don't see the "one big thing" that'll make people flock to WP over those other two.

Commodore

Here's my "low hanging fruit" from earlier this year: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34379193&postcount=18677

Still lots of stuff to improve upon, but Skydrive has fixed full size photo uploads (I think) and OTA updates are confirmed so far. In addition to those, I'm hoping for a real brightness adjuster instead of just the three settings we have now. In the browser, I want a forward button and find in page. In email, I want an option to load all images as default. Something like scroll to top (or bottom) would be welcome…but that's probably not happening because the status bar still is hidden by default grr.

This has bugged me since I started using the phone. Hope they allow at least the option to choose which emails we trust to load images on emails.

Talon

Yeah I heard that as well with regards to Wallet which still gets me back to the question.

Was there anything shown today that would actually get people on iOS or Android to make the switch? WP8 seems to be getting closer to feature parody with both the other big ecosystems, but I don't see the "one big thing" that'll make people flock to WP over those other two.
Intentional?

clav

No.

There's no compelling hardware yet.

Liking what I see about Windows Phone 8. Sucks that older phones won't be getting 8 but at least we get the new start screen.

And yay for HD screen resolutions.

thirty

Banned
good news is i think this will drive nokia 900 prices low. i think we'll see them on ebay/craigslist for $100-200 used. i might bite at that price, my hd7 is just about done. i can always buy a wp8 phone later.

Commodore

good news is i think this will drive nokia 900 prices low. i think we'll see them on ebay/craigslist for $100-200 used. i might bite at that price, my hd7 is just about done. i can always buy a wp8 phone later.

Might do that too, still waiting on what the launch WP8 phones bring to the table to see if it'd be better to wait for better hardware in 2013. My focus still seems to be holding strong but I have to wonder how long it'll hang with the amount of use I put it through everyday.

Windu

they have only shown off the underlying tech, they said they still have end user features to show off that they will preview later. Its still wait and see imo.

Walshicus

I've got six months left on my contract, so it's not the end of the world for me to just get a new model when WP8 launches. It still sucks that existing phones won't get the upgrade. I'm 99% convinced that's a commercial rather than technical decision.

Commodore

Speaking of Wallet, simply in terms of two of the apps I still missed from my iPhone days, Mint and an official Chase app, I finally get one of them(Chase), and the other I get built in implementation of balance tracking (Mint). If I can't have Mint, at least I have decent balance tracking. So today at least brought some much needed mobile financial closure for me. :p

e: also finally tracked down what set up that DJ was using at the event: http://www.smithsonmartin.com/ What I wouldn't give to use one of those on my next gig.

strata8

I've got six months left on my contract, so it's not the end of the world for me to just get a new model when WP8 launches. It still sucks that existing phones won't get the upgrade. I'm 99% convinced that's a commercial rather than technical decision.

I'm actually 100% convinced that it's not. Windows Phone 8 isn't just an upgrade - it's an entirely different kernel.

venne

I think the new start screen will be a godsend for phones with ridiculously sized screens.

You can put small tiles near the bottom and medium toward the middle and the large at the top to avoid the having something in the upper corner deadzone.

Milchjon

Yesterday I was a bit depressed. But today I woke up, looked at my cyan Lumia 800, realized I wouldn't exchange it for any other device on the market right now, and everything was ok.

strata8

The new tiles will work for me if they're arranged into a rectangular pattern. For example, these are all fine (I actually really like the middle one):
StartScreen_James30opt2_gallery_post.png
StartScreen_Robin50_gallery_post.png
StartScreen_Maria35_gallery_post.png

But these two are just horrible:
7651.StartScreen_Allison218_534DB46F_gallery_post.png
StartScreen_Kari22_gallery_post.png

I'm bummed about the loss of the right margin but I also understand that it was a requirement for the quarter tiles to work properly on smaller screens.

DagsJT

Yep, they definitely look a mess to me. I'll probably just end up sticking to the current format really, maybe stretching the odd tile out.

Looking at those also makes me realise how plain my screen looks. Only the "people" tab has something different going on. Facebook and Twitter add a bit of colour but the other tiles are just plain green.

Can I change the Mail icon to the Gmail icon somehow? The Phone icon to a picture? IE to the blue IE logo?

venne

they're all horrible.

it's somewhere between Ow! my balls! and Tetris

Nah, it's silly to dedicate a full tile to something that is just an icon.

Phone, email, messaging, games, and basically anything that doesn't utilize the live tile as anything more than a counter are better suited as a tiny tile.

Microsoft should really work on improving the situation with their hardware partners.

Windows Phone 7:
tCeOF.jpg

Windows Phone 7.5:
S2eVv.jpg

Windows Phone 8:
NlMpH.jpg

CaptainABAB

Looking at those also makes me realise how plain my screen looks. Only the "people" tab has something different going on. Facebook and Twitter add a bit of colour but the other tiles are just plain green.

Can I change the Mail icon to the Gmail icon somehow? The Phone icon to a picture? IE to the blue IE logo?

Nope. Nope. Nope.

That is one of my issues with the phone - lack of customizations on the home screen. The new home screen is a big improvement.

CaptainABAB

I'm actually 100% convinced that it's not. Windows Phone 8 isn't just an upgrade - it's an entirely different kernel.

That doesn't mean it is technically impossible. It just means that with limited resources and time, they decided to not support releasing a version of the new OS that works with the old phones (along with the time required to make an installer that replaces the kernel.)

After all, this same Windows NT kernel works on single core celeron processors and it can be recompiled for any ARM processor. And it was always possible to install Windows NT over 9x on the same computer.

The only "technical" restriction would be if memory in the current phones was not sufficient to run the new OS.

gcubed

Elop on buying a Lumia 900 - "I definitely think it’s more than enough. I think that ultimately your typical customer probably isn’t all that aware of this upgrade thing"

Elop in January - "We don't want fragmentation being introduced into Windows Phone because we are beginning to see how in a certain other eco-system that fragmentation becomes a problem."

Elop on buying a Lumia 900 - "I definitely think it’s more than enough. I think that ultimately your typical customer probably isn’t all that aware of this upgrade thing"

Elop in January - "We don't want fragmentation being introduced into Windows Phone because we are beginning to see how in a certain other eco-system that fragmentation becomes a problem."

The worst CEO ever?

PG2G

It is very likely that it is technically possible to upgrade current phones. It would require OEMs to do a complete rewrite of all drivers (which im sure they don't want to do), probably a complete flash of the ROM (which carriers don't want to do).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom