• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

It is very likely that it is technically possible to upgrade current phones. It would require OEMs to do a complete rewrite of all drivers (which im sure they don't want to do), probably a complete flash of the ROM (which carriers don't want to do).

i have no doubt it is. Cost/Benefit ... not enough phones to warrant the work, and no one wants to be responsible for a complete flash of the ROM... its not something any carrier would EVER agree to do over the air.

PG2G

One plus... they are guaranteeing phones will be supported for 18 months minimum so we won't see this situation again, lol

Fjolle

I doubt that they are gonna remotely update the hardware in the phones to quad-core + whatever gimmick that will be the nfc of next year though.

(which is a good thing. I want an excuse to upgrade)

MCD

I really want to see Zune software replacement.

I'm fine with something similar to the PS Vita software.

ElNino

I really want to see Zune software replacement.

I'm fine with something similar to the PS Vita software.
What? As a Vita owner and Zune user (both on PC and Zune HD), I can't imagine what you would want them to do to Zune to make it more like Vita.

MCD

Zune is dead.

There was a rumor about it becoming a sync only software so I'm thinking it will be just like the Vita one and less like a multimedia player.

ElNino

Zune is dead.

There was a rumor about it becoming a sync only software so I'm thinking it will be just like the Vita one and less like a multimedia player.
As someone who uses Zune everyday, I can assure you it isn't "dead". The branding will change in Windows 8 and new features will likely only be added there, but the app itself will need to stay to support Windows 7/Vista/XP users.

Considering the Xbox Music service is expanding the marketplace significantly, there is no way the Zune/Xbox Music app will be just for syncing like the Vita Content Manager. There might be a syncing app for WP8 that is independent of Zune/XM, but they won't get rid of Zune.

MCD

As someone who uses Zune everyday, I can assure you it isn't "dead". The branding will change in Windows 8 and new features will likely only be added there, but the app itself will need to stay to support Windows 7/Vista/XP users.

Considering the Xbox Music service is expanding the marketplace significantly, there is no way the Zune/Xbox Music app will be just for syncing like the Vita Content Manager. There might be a syncing app for WP8 that is independent of Zune/XM, but they won't get rid of Zune.

http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-8-details-allegedly-revealed-nokia-partner-video

Zune Desktop is going away in exchange for a more native, sync relationship application i.e. the return of ActiveSync

Almost everything listed back then happened today so this is almost guaranteed.

MCD

The Zune app as it exists today in Windows 7/Vista/XP is likely to stay the same.

My understanding of this rumor is different here, in that I believe that Zune software will completely disappear and be replaced with a simple syncing only software for desktops and perhaps accompanied with a Windows 8 app. Kinda similar to the current Mac solution.

The music part of the Zune software and services will live on through Xbox Music.

ElNino

I actually like the Zune app on my PC, and within WP7. Looks nice, functions well, just works. As opposed to iTunes.
Yep, the Zune desktop app is what got me to replace my iPad with a Zune HD. The software works much better for me than iTunes did.

My understanding of this rumor is different here, in that I believe that Zune software will completely disappear and be replaced with a simple syncing only software for desktops and perhaps accompanied with a Windows 8 app. Kinda similar to the current Mac solution.

The music part of the Zune software and services will live on through Xbox Music.
The Zune software will need to still exist to support the older Zune devices, or at least all of that functionality will need to be in the new app (Xbox Music?). Even if they seperate the syncing/media player components, the functionality of Zune should still exist, only possibly with a new name.

That doesn't change anything I said. The Zune app as it exists today in Windows 7/Vista/XP is likely to stay the same. In Windows 8 there will likely be a syncing app, but there will also be an app (Xbox Music?) to replace Zune. This is still my understanding.

Zune is dead and the desktop client won't change anymore. There's no team for that and they already killed the Windows Phone marketplace in the software.

Speaking of the marketplace: Audible is out http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/bdc813dd-c20b-41f8-8646-de72fa0b365d

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Audible app is on the market: http://t.co/Qcicmjnk

Also, as I understand it, the Zune software stays for pre- windows 8 machines. They might change the branding, but that's how folks with Zune and windows phone devices will sync if they dont have windows 8.

PG2G

HTC's Windows Phone 8 roadmap: 'Zenith' flagship, 'Accord' midrange, and 'Rio' entry-level models

Finally, the big guns: "Zenith" is expected to have a 4.7-inch 720p Super LCD 2 with the same 8-megapixel sensor as the Accord, 42Mbps HSPA+, and an unnamed quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon (it looks like the Zenith and Accord may share a similar relationship to the One X and One S at retail). All three devices are slated to ship this year, with Rio and Accord coming in October and Zenith launching sometime in the fourth quarter.

Not sure if I believe this, but sounds kind of drool worthy. Don't know why they'd step back from Titan II on the camera though, guess its the same as the One X

The new tiles will work for me if they're arranged into a rectangular pattern. For example, these are all fine (I actually really like the middle one):
StartScreen_James30opt2_gallery_post.png
StartScreen_Robin50_gallery_post.png
StartScreen_Maria35_gallery_post.png

But these two are just horrible:
7651.StartScreen_Allison218_534DB46F_gallery_post.png
StartScreen_Kari22_gallery_post.png

I'm bummed about the loss of the right margin but I also understand that it was a requirement for the quarter tiles to work properly on smaller screens.

Agreed. I'm still torn on the new Start screen, but I think it could solve some problems for me.

My Start Screen is pretty much reserved for apps with live tiles that I use a lot. However, there are a number of apps that don't have live tiles (Youtube, Netflix, Amazon, Amazon Kindle, etc.) that I still use pretty frequently, but didn't want to waste the real estate on because it was just a huge icon with no information being delivered. Smaller tiles will help solve that.

I think "Metro" gets lost if you just turn the tiles into "icons". I mainly use them for quick delivery of information/notification to check it, so having a sea of icons would make WP pretty boring. However...to each their own. Clearly it's not an issue for most consumers.

Audible not available in the UK.
Nothing cool is ever available in the UK.
HTC's Windows Phone 8 roadmap: 'Zenith' flagship, 'Accord' midrange, and 'Rio' entry-level models

Not sure if I believe this, but sounds kind of drool worthy. Don't know why they'd step back from Titan II on the camera though, guess its the same as the One X

More importantly:
Starting at the bottom of the range, there's "Rio," featuring a 4-inch WVGA display, 14.4Mbps HSPA, and a 5-megapixel camera with 720p video capture. There's only 512MB on board, but the processor isn't bad — expect a Qualcomm MSM8227, a member of the company's Snapdragon S4 Plus line.
That pretty much kills any "old phones don't have enough RAM" argument.

ElNino

Zune is dead and the desktop client won't change anymore. There's no team for that and they already killed the Windows Phone marketplace in the software.
Zune is dead only in that the brand is changing, but the desktop software still exists and functions. It's possible they could change the branding on the app in pre-Windows 8 machines, and they may need to in order to support the Xbox Music marketplace, but we'll have to wait and see on that.

Gaspode_T

When I look at the screen with small icons it seems to display a similar amount of random stuff that Windows 8 does. It is something like in between the clean WP7 look and someone having an explosion of 50 icons on their Windows desktop. The fact is however that people probably tended to never swipe to list all apps, I never do it myself and the apps which I dont have pinned I just forget about.

No one ever talks about actually using their WP7...people coming into this thread probably have the Grandpa Simpson syndrome.

Anyway - I have been enjoying games I thought I wouldn't the most on WP7 lately - Battleship! Salvo mode is fun.

Also Shuffle Party - still trying to get all the stars on challenges.

Also playing an evil F2P Bug Village I am playing almost out of spite to try to get all the achievements without paying a dime, but it got bugged (no pun intended) and the stinkbugs and ant lions stopped appearing so I am not very happy.

geoDefense Swarm is haaaaaaard...I might have one of the highest scores in the world on the infinite Hard level, I thought my phone was going to melt the level played out for so long.

I've got six months left on my contract, so it's not the end of the world for me to just get a new model when WP8 launches. It still sucks that existing phones won't get the upgrade. I'm 99% convinced that's a commercial rather than technical decision.

Of course it's commercial. I guarantee that Nokia will put out phones with lower performance than the 710 / 800 / 900 next year. Afterall they keep banging on about working with MS to offer cheaper phones especially in emerging markets.

Not all that bothered though thinking more about how I use the phone. I would like the IE10 type improvements on here though. The browser is a massive back step after using xscope on my HTC desire.

On a side note, can anyone recommend some good free & paid games?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yay Audible! I just started an account recently as well. I was using the iPhone version on my wife's phone and I must say the WP Audible is much nicer.

Now where the fuck is Carcassonne????

maeh2k

I'd like some more information on the integration of apps like Skype. From what I understand any VoIP app can neatly integrate into the system. I'm wondering if that includes chat apps. So e.g. will WhatsApp (no VoIP, but chat) be able to integrate itself into the OS i.e. into the messaging app?

That would be pretty amazing and would allow Windows Phone to basically have the best version of any chat service.

tino

Banned
Correct me if I am wrong. Is Neogaf one of the biggest Windows Phone community? Or one of the most active?

Back in the day when I migrated from SA, SA had way more tech related threads. It still has but it slowed down so what. I just checked the WP7 thread on Somethingawful, it barely had 3 pages of discussion on WP8 news. I checked Arstechnica, the discussion quota is similar. (The other photography forum I hang out in does have more new WP8 threads but they are all threads making fun of Nokia. It make sense since this photography forum is gear alot older.)

So I ask you, WP experts, not counting the "WP websites", is GAF one of the most active WP7 community among the general discussion boards?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Of course it's commercial. I guarantee that Nokia will put out phones with lower performance than the 710 / 800 / 900 next year. Afterall they keep banging on about working with MS to offer cheaper phones especially in emerging markets.

Not all that bothered though thinking more about how I use the phone. I would like the IE10 type improvements on here though. The browser is a massive back step after using xscope on my HTC desire.

On a side note, can anyone recommend some good free & paid games?

ilomilo
Dragon's Blade
Dodonpachi Maximum

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Correct me if I am wrong. Is Neogaf one of the biggest Windows Phone community? Or one of the most active?

Back in the day when I migrated from SA, SA had way more tech related threads. It still has but it slowed down so what. I just checked the WP7 thread on Somethingawful, it barely had 3 pages of discussion on WP8 news. I checked Arstechnica, the discussion quota is similar. (The other photography forum I hang out in does have more new WP8 threads but they are all threads making fun of Nokia. It make sense since this photography forum is gear alot older.)

So I ask you, WP experts, not counting the "WP websites", is GAF one of the most active WP7 community among the general discussion boards?

Wordament
iStunt 2
Tentacles
The Harvest
Lets Golf 2
Words by Post

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Nope, and I'm going to avoid it from now on.

yea...well... we never wanted you anyways....jerk.

Wordament
iStunt 2
Tentacles
The Harvest
Lets Golf 2
Words by Post

dude. what?

edit:
also did you check reddit? dunno if they're still active though.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking forward to fitting more of the tiles I want on the start screen without scrolling down as well as making the calendar app a medium size tile. I wish we would could 7.8 early to "beta test" the start screen :)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Also playing an evil F2P Bug Village I am playing almost out of spite to try to get all the achievements without paying a dime, but it got bugged (no pun intended) and the stinkbugs and ant lions stopped appearing so I am not very happy.

I got every achievement in that game. Nothing I'm too proud off, and I also bought some stuff. I felt bad for paying at first, but I played that game for months every day so I dont feel bad that I threw the devs some money. Its still my most played game ever on windows phone. I can't play complicated games on a touch screen.

Tada!

GaVDJ.png

I really don't mind the absence of the dead space on the right--it looks just as good as the original.

They're trying to expand their audience. If more options equals more marketshare...there's nothing for us to complain about.

f0lken

Nothing cool is ever available in the UK.

More importantly:

That pretty much kills any "old phones don't have enough RAM" argument.

Well this is a work for XDA!!! I'm sure they can make it work, and I could find a Lumia 800/900 for second handset.

I miss so much being in WP =(

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tada!

GaVDJ.png

I really don't mind the absence of the dead space on the right--it looks just as good as the original.

They're trying to expand their audience. If more options equals more marketshare...there's nothing for us to complain about.

The base icons look weird now for things like phone because the square's got bigger but the stuff inside seems to still be fitted for the old size.

Troll

Banned
Elop on buying a Lumia 900 - "I definitely think it’s more than enough. I think that ultimately your typical customer probably isn’t all that aware of this upgrade thing"

Elop in January - "We don't want fragmentation being introduced into Windows Phone because we are beginning to see how in a certain other eco-system that fragmentation becomes a problem."

God damn

kehs

Banned
Tada!

GaVDJ.png

Dat tile size.

I'm pretty sure it's an innocent misquote by Copernicus, but that first statement is from Kevin Shields, not Elop.

Speaking of innocent misquotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom