• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the game recommendations.

Got a question regarding email syncing:
If I move an email from the inbox to an unsynced folder, will it sync just that email back to the webserver? Same with sent items? Or will it not show the email on the web interface until I sync? If i have to sync, is there are quick way to sync all my folders?

Thanks.

Gaspode_T

Of course it's commercial. I guarantee that Nokia will put out phones with lower performance than the 710 / 800 / 900 next year. Afterall they keep banging on about working with MS to offer cheaper phones especially in emerging markets.

Not all that bothered though thinking more about how I use the phone. I would like the IE10 type improvements on here though. The browser is a massive back step after using xscope on my HTC desire.

On a side note, can anyone recommend some good free & paid games?

Free:

Taptitude

Lots of others, but first...Taptitude.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Gotta love my carrier. ATT doesn't just ruin it for me, but they ruin it for EVERYONE! LoL *sad face*

I absolutely can't wait for the option of removing the carrier entirely and allowing all updates. I'm out of the warranty period anyway, they aren't going to service my phone. I will agree to any waivers just to get updates without lag. Instant WP7 Nexus device.

Raistlin

so who else wants to develop an app? i downloaded visual studio express from the microsoft site. don't really where to begin after getting my developer license. guess i'll view some vids and look up XAML and C++. anyone with any suggestions for a newbie?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516
If this were to occur, we'd need to figure out a good online CM to make it happen.

Also for simplicity, I'd recommend C#.

BTW - do you want to specifically target WP8, or something that works on both? I'd recommend the latter unless it's using something that requires the new API's. So in that case, Silverlight should be the framework (and/or XNA if it needs 3D).

joshschw

170 something signatures and it was featured on WMpoweruser.

I'm feeling lonely in my opinion that the new start screen is uglee! ;)

thirty

Banned
If this were to occur, we'd need to figure out a good online CM to make it happen.

BTW - do you want to specifically target WP8, or something that works on both? I'd recommend the latter unless it's using something that requires the new API's. So in that case, Silverlight should be the framework (and/or XNA if it needs 3D).
I agree, let's single-handedly keep WP7 alive.

we can create a flashlight app but we'll call it a water sanitizer light. we'll target 3rd world coyntries where nokia will continue to push tango phones.

seriously, I'm down for this.

I recently wrote some code for a yahoo fantasy app for WP. I would be down for doing some other app...assuming I have the same deal with MS as last Summer (all work done on non-ms property is mine)

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
native homebrew executables on stock WP7? maybe

via Pocketnow

Windows Phone verifies apps that Microsoft has approved for execution in such a native mode by checking a digital signature against the company’s certificate, stored on the phone. Without the company’s private signing key, homebrew developers can’t deliver their own apps that pass the check and run in a similar fashion.

It turns out there’s a way around this on stock firmware, even if it is a little convoluted. The trick is to install a new certificate, so you can sign an app yourself and have its signature check-out on the phone.

there's life in the old girl yet

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I recently wrote some code for a yahoo fantasy app for WP.

Fantasy ferret? I've been looking for good fantasy sports apps and haven't found any really good ones. ESPN needs to have a football app this year one way or another. I hope someone does one if ESPN doesn't bother to again.

Fantasy ferret? I've been looking for good fantasy sports apps and haven't found any really good ones. ESPN needs to have a football app this year one way or another. I hope someone does one if ESPN doesn't bother to again.

It was for fun/ personal use. +1 download for fantasy ferret because of you. I'll look into being the first ESPN fantasy app if they have open APIs :p

Raistlin

I agree, let's single-handedly keep WP7 alive.

we can create a flashlight app but we'll call it a water sanitizer light. we'll target 3rd world coyntries where nokia will continue to push tango phones.

seriously, I'm down for this.
I can't tell if you're serious or salty here :p

Raistlin

serious, going to drop Windows 8 Preview on my laptop this weekend cuz the WP7 SDK seems to not work with it. will go through tutorials and such this wknd.
Well in general, that works out fine. Apparently MS will handle conversion to WP8 ... so it should work on either.

Korey

Was there a hidden update or something? When I swipe right to my app list now, there's the letter boxes in there like the contacts list. Or was it always like that?

Oh, maybe that's what happens when your app list gets long enough.

Raistlin

Was there a hidden update or something? When I swipe right to my app list now, there's the letter boxes in there like the contacts list. Or was it always like that?

Oh, maybe that's what happens when your app list gets long enough.
Yes, it occurs once you hit a certain app count. It's 40 something IIRC (including OS apps, hubs, etc).

Raistlin

metroxda.png

that?

fuck no lol

I know some PHP, I understand CSS, very fluent in Joomla, wordpress, etc... My background is System Administration, currently working on both vmware, MS2k8 and Linux servers.

I want to get involved with W8 development, both mobile & tablet. I'm also getting a Lumia 900 soon (through work, no biggie) so it would be a great chance to participate. I dont know much C+ or silverlight, but im willing to learn!

My question: Can i join? :)

maeh2k

so was Nokia 3d maps actually confirmed, or is TechRadar just assuming?

This article flat out says that the 3d maps from Nokia are coming.

I'm still not completely sure they mean the high-quality 3D stuff and not just the 3D mode in Nokia Drive (where the ground is completely flat and there aren't many buildings).

To get those high quality 3D maps, Apple bought the company C3. Long before Apple bought them, Nokia had licensed their 3D technology for Ovi Maps (seemingly still available at maps.ovi.com when you install a plugin). I'm not sure if they still get to license the technology for phones. Usually Apple rather keeps things for itself...

Troll

Banned
I'm still not completely sure they mean the high-quality 3D stuff and not just the 3D mode in Nokia Drive (where the ground is completely flat and there aren't many buildings).

To get those high quality 3D maps, Apple bought the company C3. Long before Apple bought them, Nokia had licensed their 3D technology for Ovi Maps (seemingly still available at maps.ovi.com when you install a plugin). I'm not sure if they still get to license the technology for phones. Usually Apple rather keeps things for itself...

Yeah, that's what I thought they were doing. In the article they start to compare it to the other OS' 3d offerings. IDK, if it comes to be that would be awesome. I actually like Nokia's mapping solutions vs anyone else. Well, except Apple, I haven't used it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom