• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirty

Banned
so i looked into downgrading my laptop from W8 Preview to W7 so the WP SDK would work, but what a hassle is it to do the downgrade. i think i'll just wait on the new W8 compatible WP SDK to dabble in app development. until then i'll mess around with the W8 SDK.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
microsoft_surface_phone_8.jpg

Microsoft Confirms They Won’t Be Making Their Own Windows Phones

When Microsoft announced their intentions to jump into the hardware space with the unveiling of their new Surface tablet, the next logical question seemed to be whether or not the folks at Redmond would do the same for smartphones.

After all, the model seemed to be doing well enough for Apple — was Microsoft considering adopting a similar approach to help give their Windows Phones a new leg up?

The answer, it would seem, is no. Information Week spoke with Windows Phone senior marketing manager Greg Sullivan, and when he was posed the question, he was quick to confirm that the company had no such plans.

“We have a strong ecosystem of partners that we are very satisfied with,” Sullivan went on to say.
http://techcrunch.com/2012/06/25/microsoft-confirms-they-wont-be-making-their-own-windows-phones/

Meanwhile in Finland:
GYoP4.png

kehs

Banned
“We have a strong ecosystem of partners that we are very satisfied with,” Sullivan went on to say. Sullivan later qualified, "We just hope the US lets Huawei's devices get passed the border".

kharma45

No benefit my ass. Everyone would've jumped for joy and their stock wouldn't have taken an extra hard nose dive had they put in this amount of work.

Arguably sales might even have went up with people potentially holding back to see whether the current gen would've got WP8.

strata8

I'll be very interested to see how the new WP8 devices perform. Anandtech is telling me that the S4 is 3x faster in single-threaded performance and 4x faster in the GPU department than the S2 chipset in the current devices.

It's getting to a point where I think developers will be able to port between the 360 and WP8 devices with little modification at all.

strata8

Hey now, lets not get all crazy.

I'm talking moreso about XBLA games. Graphically basic games such as ilomilo, for example, were severely downgraded to run on WP7 and that might not be the case if the baseline for the new hardware is powerful enough.

edit: Uh, nevermind. I think I was slightly overestimating the capabilities of the S4.

MCD

Are we really just getting the new start screen in WP7.8 with no features?

I thought we are getting some stuff like more languages, IE10 and so on.

Cipherr

If WP8 is enough of a success for HTC and Samsung to release a flagship simultaneously with it's Android counterpart then Nokia will be selling millions of high end phones every month.

I think you are wrong. I think the OS can be a success on the backs of the already large and popular hardware manufacturers, and I dont think that group consists of Nokia anymore. W8 can take off and Nokia can still be left in the wake struggling. Their success is not tied 1:1 to the OS, I have no way to back that up, granted, but Ill wait and see.

We see flagships from the major HW manufacturers day 1 and people will buy THOSE windows phones and ignore the Nokia ones for the most part, no matter how 'pretty' they are.

Commodore

Damn all the blues going on with Nokia lately. Reading the 808 review over at the Verge, I can't wait till PureView hits on WP8. Just sounds fantastic. Just hope they manage to survive the clean break from WP7, the stuff they've got to be prepping for next year have got to be all in for the company.

Commodore

There's a gutter toggle now?

Oh, that's too bad.

Seriously? The gutter? I don't know, but its gotta feel...exhilarating defending something unofficially called the gutter on a phone UI you don't use everyday. Or for anyone else who are actual WP7 users right now who claim foul on the missing gutter, the gutter is barely, barely a functional design aspect of the UI. The oversized title text that implies a sideways flick is a far better message to the user of the way metro works. The gutter was just what people are calling it, a gutter, didn't do much, and now with it gone, offers up further possible ugly user customization, or not; something I'd think you'd really appreciate as Android user.

Maybe its just me, but weighing the gutter (lol) in one hand, and more points of access per screen(or less, with more info), so I don't have to go scrolling down as much seems like a nice easy choice. The gutter right? Gonna go cry myself to sleep tonight, I'll miss you gutter :(

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I disagree, I think it looks quite nice.

I'd go so far as to say it looked like total shit.

I know I'm going to be branded a hater, but the more I see of the WP8 HS being shown off with all of these different sized boxes it just ends up looking fugly x 100000.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'd go so far as to say it looked like total shit.

I know I'm going to be branded a hater, but the more I see of the WP8 HS being shown off with all of these different sized boxes it just ends up looking fugly x 100000.

So 2 sizes of tiles = beautiful UI

3 sizes of tiles = total shit?

I don't know, I can see that people might think it can look too busy but as a design concept it's still quite bold a beautiful to me.

Damn all the blues going on with Nokia lately. Reading the 808 review over at the Verge, I can't wait till PureView hits on WP8. Just sounds fantastic. Just hope they manage to survive the clean break from WP7, the stuff they've got to be prepping for next year have got to be all in for the company.

Nokia was already all-in on WP7. Which is kinda why their stock is in the toilet right now. Investors are rightly spooked that Nokia threw literally everything the company has ever made in-house into the garbage to license an OS which was already having dubious success in the marketplace, and then their licensor just threw everything in the garbage themselves to start over. I mean, how many abrupt OS transitions can a company realistically survive? Nokia is really trying to set world records here for how many OSes they can abandon without the company exploding into a fireball and burning.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Help help! People aren't adhering to what I consider to be an attractive layout!

Once it's all your own personal info, photos and apps I think it might make a difference for some people. I think it'll add a lot to the functionality of the phone as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom