• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

Nokia was already all-in on WP7. Which is kinda why their stock is in the toilet right now. Investors are rightly spooked that Nokia threw literally everything the company has ever made in-house into the garbage to license an OS which was already having dubious success in the marketplace, and then their licensor just threw everything in the garbage themselves to start over. I mean, how many abrupt OS transitions can a company realistically survive? Nokia is really trying to set world records here for how many OSes they can abandon without the company exploding into a fireball and burning.

Agreed on the latter half of what ya said. By "all in" I mean we've yet to see a fully Nokia built and designed phone from the ground up for a Windows Phone OS. The 800/900 were tweaked versions of an existing N9 model. I'm just hoping they manage to pull off a solid phone the end of this year and even further into next year with some PureView tech. I love their phone design\hardware, IMHO it's distinct and the only company giving Apple some competition in design.

So 2 sizes of tiles = beautiful UI

3 sizes of tiles = total shit?

I don't know, I can see that people might think it can look too busy but as a design concept it's still quite bold a beautiful to me.

Looks great:

xQRnk.png

Doesn't look that great:

SHkCx.png

We see flagships from the major HW manufacturers day 1 and people will buy THOSE windows phones and ignore the Nokia ones for the most part, no matter how 'pretty' they are.

I don't think you understood my point. I'm not saying that people won't by flagship HTC or Samsung phones if released simultaneously with Android ones. I am saying that this won't happen if WP8 isn't a big success and that in turn, that won't happen without Nokia being successful.
Anyhow we shall see.

joshschw

On a more serious note, does anyone here use t-mobiles prepaid plans? I'm eyeing the $30 unlimited data and 100 minutes no one to talk to plan. They offer a Lumina 710 but for $350 on their site but would ANY 710 I buy work on the plan?

Going to try to get off Verizon because my Trophy is dying more every day. Gyro/rotation stopped today. Have always had a thing for the 710-i like real buttons. If that pureview was cheaper I'd soooo want that much as I like WP though.

Thanks all.

joshschw

It looks odd, but so did the WP7 start screen when I first saw it. It's not like tiles of this size aren't already present in the OS, either - image albums are a good example.

The scale of everything is just all screwy. And if you have a big phone like a Titan those new tiles are going to be enormous.

joshschw

Do you know what we really need?

Transparent tiles and background images.

G0eJx.png

Now combine that with the new tiny tiles and we could have a new, fresh and revolutionary UI on our hands.

Lookin' good. I'll take it if it let's me specify specific fonts on a per tile basis?

Damn all the blues going on with Nokia lately. Reading the 808 review over at the Verge, I can't wait till PureView hits on WP8. Just sounds fantastic. Just hope they manage to survive the clean break from WP7, the stuff they've got to be prepping for next year have got to be all in for the company.

I think at this point it's more likely to see PureView* hitting Android than WP8, as WP8 hardware looks to be about as uncustomizable as WP7. Of course we'll have to wait until WP8 flops or Elop gets fired first.

*real PureView, not that old 12 megapixel version

Fjolle

I think at this point it's more likely to see PureView* hitting Android than WP8, as WP8 hardware looks to be about as uncustomizable as WP7. Of course we'll have to wait until WP8 flops or Elop gets fired first.

*real PureView, not that old 12 megapixel version

Where did you get that information? With WP8 they are allowed to write their own drivers.

Where did you get that information? With WP8 they are allowed to write their own drivers.

Rumours. The real PureView would require custom accelator chips that can't be easily added to Snapdragon chipset (or rather they would make the phone very expensive) . What WP8 may get is 12 megapixel version, which is basically the same camera as N8 has. Still better than most.

strata8

Rumours. The real PureView would require custom accelator chips that can't be easily added to Snapdragon chipset (or rather they would make the phone very expensive) . What WP8 may get is 12 megapixel version, which is basically the same camera as N8 has. Still better than most.
Snapdragon S4 supports up to 21 megapixels IIRC.

Tomcat

the n8 camera is not better than most

its the second best camera behind the 808

and of course you should expect an pureview wp8 on nokia world

Blackhead

Redarse

Links to these Rumors?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The scale of everything is just all screwy. And if you have a big phone like a Titan those new tiles are going to be enormous.

This is exactly the problem even if you don't use those small tiles. Everything just feels off because the "regular" squares are just so big, and will look even bigger on 4.3" + phones. It feels very much like someone trying to copy the WP7 design for another device and coming off close, but not quiet getting the whole of what makes the current Metro design great.

PG2G

I believe the HTC Titan II already uses a custom processor for imaging. If we get something other than PureView Pro initially, it'll probably have more to do with the fact that they will want a phone with a market friendly form factor.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
From the comments: "WP8 clock works exactly like wp7's. touch or slide down from top and it will show itself in the contrast color of the current theme."

that's not the same. I don't have to do anything on the current homescreen to see the clock because it was designed by people who know what they're doing, not focus groups.

Tomcat

Well, there are a couple of Symbian^2 phones that were out before N8 and had better cameras (at least on paper). Sharp SH-05C had 14.1 Megapixels, was waterproof and had 3x optical zoom.

edit: found some info in english:
http://www.nttdocomo.com/pr/2010/001495.html

i am not an expert on these japanese symbian phones (never heard of them) but having more mp doesnt mean that its better
The N8 until now had the best camera on a phone. If you have any comparisons between those phones and the N8 post them. I am interested

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
True, true.

Btw, I'm getting an Omnia 7 for my mom for 100 euros. Anything I should know about the phone as in sensitive parts, reception and shit?

It's a good phone. Been using mine for a little over a year without problem.

I've seen some complaints about low call volume but I can't say I've noticed.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
where's your god clock now, gutter haters?

qTTGv.png

http://pocketnow.com/2012/06/26/win...now+(pocketnow.com)&utm_content=Google+Reader

I was starting to think no one else had noticed this

There is no other way to put it: its bad design. Which is stunning given their laser like focus on design in 7.0 and 7.5, but it's clear there are other priorities at that team now.

Two things jump out at me: 1. looking at the current gutter, there is a bit of room to make it thinner without having to get rid of it. 2. You could have added the ability for the user to pick between the regular tile size and the double wide tile without breaking the design structure. Its the small tile that kills everything and makes it all look goofy and amateurish.

giga

Easy solution. Make a gutter at the top and make the clock as well as other things like wifi and battery always shown. I can dream…

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Easy solution. Make a gutter at the top and make the clock as well as other things like wifi and battery always shown. I can dream…

Just like IOS and Android, not sure if want, at least not unless they add a drop down functionality like in the other two.

Before the new home screen I would've said that Windows Phone isn't for people with OCD, but it would make sense now.

strata8

Two things jump out at me: 1. looking at the current gutter, there is a bit of room to make it thinner without having to get rid of it. 2. You could have added the ability for the user to pick between the regular tile size and the double wide tile without breaking the design structure. Its the small tile that kills everything and makes it all look goofy and amateurish.

How does that solve anything? The reason they introduced the small tiles in the first place is because the icon density on the start screen is ridiculously low. Look at this:
statictiles.jpg

All of those icons are completely static. They display nothing except maybe a number, and that they still take up the same space as a useful live tile is a bit pathetic. With the new start screen, I can condense all of those into the space of 2 tiles. That's huge. Even with the increased tile size, I can now make much better use of my space and put the important applications near the top instead of needing to make the decision between live and static tiles.

I don't really consider this..
omnia7.jpg

...to look amateurish at all. But that's just my opinion, of course.

JaggedSac

Not saying the new homescreen is better or worse, but in the current one, the clock is currently the only bit of info at the top that cannot be lost due to tile color. If someone wanted to see if they were are 3G or 4G or if vibrate was on, there is the possibility that a tile will cover it up. In order for that to happen, the person would have to have scrolled down a bit though because there is a bit of empty space above the tiles by default. And to be honest, I have never noticed that things could be covered up. So I think it is a non-issue.

thirty

Banned
On a more serious note, does anyone here use t-mobiles prepaid plans? I'm eyeing the $30 unlimited data and 100 minutes no one to talk to plan. They offer a Lumina 710 but for $350 on their site but would ANY 710 I buy work on the plan?

Going to try to get off Verizon because my Trophy is dying more every day. Gyro/rotation stopped today. Have always had a thing for the 710-i like real buttons. If that pureview was cheaper I'd soooo want that much as I like WP though.

Thanks all.

i have that plan with my hd7 and love it. although t-mo policy recently changed where they've stopped me from using my phone as a hotspot. it's an additional $15. otherwise, no complaints. coverage should get better since t-mo has inked deals with att for hspa+ and verizon for lte.

i am not an expert on these japanese symbian phones (never heard of them) but having more mp doesnt mean that its better
The N8 until now had the best camera on a phone. If you have any comparisons between those phones and the N8 post them. I am interested

Nope, never seen one in person. I've seen video of the Sharp phone shooting 1080p vid underwater, and was pretty impressed at the time. N8 could only record 720p, and of course didn't like water all that much. And real 3x optical zoom is pretty damn rare in camera phones.

i have that plan with my hd7 and love it. although t-mo policy recently changed where they've stopped me from using my phone as a hotspot. it's an additional $15. otherwise, no complaints. coverage should get better since t-mo has inked deals with att for hspa+ and verizon for lte.

When did this happen?

I've been sharing my internet for the past couple months and haven't had any issues. Although, I only do it maybe once every 3-4 weeks and for a few hours at the most. I haven't done it in a couple of weeks though.

venne

The complaint about the clock is stupid.

Whenever you go to the home screen, it's visible.

Can't remember the time after the half second it took to scroll down? Hit the home button again.

kharma45

HTC did it with the One S and One V where they added in dedicated chips for their ImageSense tech so it is economically viable, especially if HTC could be bothered to do it for the One V.

Can't remember the time after the half second it took to scroll down? Hit the home button again.

Losing a "what time is it?" Windows Phone 8 challenge would be pretty humiliating.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

It just shows a general lack of fine detail polish. It's the type of thing that wouldn't get passed someone like Jobs or even Gates. It's the fine tooth comb approach that WP7 had to a large degree, and people would just like to see that continue.

venne

It just shows a general lack of fine detail polish. It's the type of thing that wouldn't get passed someone like Jobs or even Gates. It's the fine tooth comb approach that WP7 had to a large degree, and people would just like to see that continue.

If WP8 has a instant clock on the lock screen, it will be infinitely better as a clock than the current OS.

JaggedSac

Stuff gets covered up right now by the tiles.

Commodore

Incoming game rec: Letris. It's Boggle and Tetris. Do a Wordament multiplayer duel of sorts, or two player face off ala Puzzle Fighter, and this is massive win. Also instead of swiping, you punch the letter in like a keyboard, needs to be changed. Great concept.

PBn0p.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom