• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Why the hell not? I get MS wants battery saving, but keeping WIFI off in standby should be an option.

This must be adressed in WP8.
i am not sure whats gonna happen. but i am just saying don't hold your breath. with LTE and dual+ cores , i am sure MS will want to save battry anyway they can, just so they can say "look how long this phone lasts on standby. ohhhh ahhhh."
but who knows, i am just talking outta my ass here.

Curious, why do you need WIFI during standby?
to get e-mail and calender updates pushed to your phone? maybe some apps require it (like IRC)?

giga

For the reasons mentionned above. 3G does work when the screen is locked/standby right? That drains battery faster than WiFi, which makes it even more stupid. The option should be there.
There are a lot of stupid decisions they made about multitasking. WP8 solves two of them (voip, gps) but there's more that I'm not sure if they've taken care of. Take a seat.

kehs

Banned
There are a lot of stupid decisions they made about multitasking. WP8 solves two of them (voip, gps) but there's more that I'm not sure if they've taken care of. Take a seat.

I'd be interested to see if WP8 implements ultra low power mode where the radios are still active. Overkill maybe, but it'd totally earn some cool points.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sweet in NYC for the week with LTE on my 900. Come on ATT get it going in Pittsburgh!!! God the data is lightening fast.

I was shocked when my wife flew to Puerto Rico and the LTE indicator on her phone showed up. She gave me a call and asked me what the "LTE" meant. I can't believe they have that going in PR and not a big city like Pittsburgh.

ElNino

For push notifications for email and notifications for apps like Whatsapp.

Also, WiFi will use less battery when connected. It can drain the battery when left on and not connected.
WiFi will update your email (not sure about push notification/Whatsapp) while your phone is locked. I'm not sure how often it will check, but it will turn on and sync emails.

actually they have LTE in alot of places. if you go by their map, its pretty impressive, even have LTE in toronto.

Verizon LTE covers 75% of the US population already, or so they claim. They plan to have a complete LTE overlay of their entire existing 3G network by the end of 2013. I wonder if AT&T knows how fucked they are.

Your new avvy is cute, btw. :3

Korey

WiFi will update your email (not sure about push notification/Whatsapp) while your phone is locked. I'm not sure how often it will check, but it will turn on and sync emails.

Wifi is turned off when your phone is locked, unless it's plugged in.

ElNino

Wifi is turned off when your phone is locked, unless it's plugged in.
It doesn't "turn off", it disconnects. It will however reconnect at some interval to check for email at the very least, it might also check for calendar sync and 3rd party push notifications as well, but I'm not positive on that.

I only know this because I gave my Focus to my mother when I upgraded to the Lumia 900, and she doesn't have a data plan with it. When she is at home (or at work), the phone will periodically connect to sync her email via WiFi even if it isn't charging and the screen is locked.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Verizon LTE covers 75% of the US population already, or so they claim. They plan to have a complete LTE overlay of their entire existing 3G network by the end of 2013. I wonder if AT&T knows how fucked they are.

Your new avvy is cute, btw. :3
thats good to hear, just hoping that doesn't mean increase in data plans price wise. also ty (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Well I don't live in Pittsburgh, I was just saying it was surprising that San Juan got it before you guys did on at&t.
i hear so much shit about ATT its mind boggling why you guys still use it.
edit:
i am not saying i am any better, i used rogers for years, but that was because i didn't know i was gonna get ef'd over by hidden costs, and now after my contract ended i just rage quit and now have a phone with no plan.

Razdek

Banned
Looking forward to the new start screen. I'm looking at how I'd arrange it and I have a pretty good idea of what will work for me.

Now that I know something better is around coming the old start screen is so boring and I've never thought it was boring before. There's still a lot of things they have to show which will be exciting.

Raistlin

i hear so much shit about ATT its mind boggling why you guys still use it.
edit:
i am not saying i am any better, i used rogers for years, but that was because i didn't know i was gonna get ef'd over by hidden costs, and now after my contract ended i just rage quit and now have a phone with no plan.
you do realize what thread you're in?

Firestorm

What hidden costs? Honestly. I have never seen any "hidden" costs on the Big 3. They're pretty upfront with how much they'll fuck you in the ass.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
What hidden costs? Honestly. I have never seen any "hidden" costs on the Big 3. They're pretty upfront with how much they'll fuck you in the ass.
actually ive worded that wrong, more like billing "mistakes". how do you get my bill wrong on almost a monthly basis, i don't know. some of my texts to a person who is suppose to be in my "my 5 + 5" is counted as long distance for some reason. repeatedly. also for some reason my minutes go off the charts at times, even though i don't talk to anyone (cept for a couple people not including my house). of course this was a couple years ago dunno how it is now, don't really care to know either.

Firestorm

Ah yeah. I've had them say I used a premium text or something two or three months in a row before even though I wasn't. Didn't call 'em up because it was about $0.50 each time and the last thing I want to do is call attention to my account.

How dead is Nokia?

(Reuters) - Prime Minister Jyrki Katainen said the Finnish government will not consider purchasing Nokia shares, quashing hopes the government would help support the company's plunging stock.

"This is not our business. We are developing Finland into a country where companies can do well, but this is not the way of support along which the government will go," Katainen said on a visit to Salo in southern Finland where Nokia plans to close a cellphone manufacturing plant.

There has been debate in Finland over whether the government should invest in Nokia, a central plank of Finland's economy, to bolster its finances and help prevent a foreign takeover that could see its operations moved abroad.

The government already holds shares in various companies considered crucial for its national interests, including forest and chemical companies, and is a majority shareholder in struggling airline Finnair and energy company Fortum.

Finland is one of the few remaining triple-A rated countries in the euro zone, but its exports have been declining with Nokia, as well as traditional industries like paper and pulp, struggling to compete with cheaper rivals.

Finland's current account slipped into the red last year, and the central bank expects a deficit to continue through at least 2014.

At its peak, Nokia accounted for around 4 percent of Finnish GDP and supported a wide range of companies as suppliers. Today it contributes less than 1 percent, according to analysts.

Nokia's shares, which have fallen more than 50 percent since the start of the year, closed 1.5 percent lower on Wednesday.

So dead.

I don't seems to mind the new Start screen, may because I was imagining a lot worst after seeing Windows 8. I am also not bother by the fact that old device will only get 7.8, though I am glad I didn't get Lumia 900 and kept my upgrade for fall.

So no Android for me, Windows Phone 8 looks good for me not to jump ship. I have to use iPhone the last few days .. ugh... no way I am going back to that.

I don't seems to mind the new Start screen, may because I was imagining a lot worst after seeing Windows 8. I am also not bother by the fact that old device will only get 7.8, though I am glad I didn't get Lumia 900 and kept my upgrade for fall.

So no Android for me, Windows Phone 8 looks good for me not to jump ship. I have to use iPhone the last few days .. ugh... no way I am going back to that.

I would be a lot more relaxed if my phone wasn't such a POS. Right now it's on my desk, charging, doing nothing else and it rebooted twice. In a row.

I can't possibly wait till fall.

How dead is Nokia?

So dead.

Too much focus on share prices with regards to tech companies. Investors don't know anything. Just look at likes of the .com bubble.
Not that I think they are doing well at the moment. Elop has seemed to be pretty shocking strategically in killing off their popular phone OS before having fully developed replacements and being slow to market.

Nokia has to succeed just to provide some consumer choice. Can't have a 2 OS cartel here and unless BB magic uo something special, that's what we would end up with without them.

Cipherr

Nokia has to succeed just to provide some consumer choice. Can't have a 2 OS cartel here and unless BB magic uo something special, that's what we would end up with without them.

Do they really? Because.... I mean, what if HTC and Samsung eventually get to the point where they release their flagship hardware in WP8 and Android flavors simultaneously?

How much is Nokia really needed for the success of WP8 at that point? If next year the HTC Two X and Galaxy S4 are launched on Both Android and WP8 day 1, it wont matter what Nokia is doing, WP8 will see success.

kazinova

Does anyone else have this problem?: Whenever I need to use google to search for something it packages the links in a weird XML file and formats them for my phone so that the results are totally useless and it take five clicks to get to a damn website!!!

Who the hell thought this was a good idea?!?!

I never used to get this before. It honestly seems like an insult, here you're phone isn't smart enough to load the real page here's a useless shitty text version that you can't navigate. Thanks, Google! &^$% YOU!!!

Do they really? Because.... I mean, what if HTC and Samsung eventually get to the point where they release their flagship hardware in WP8 and Android flavors simultaneously?

How much is Nokia really needed for the success of WP8 at that point? If next year the HTC Two X and Galaxy S4 are launched on Both Android and WP8 day 1, it wont matter what Nokia is doing, WP8 will see success.

If WP8 is enough of a success for HTC and Samsung to release a flagship simultaneously with it's Android counterpart then Nokia will be selling millions of high end phones every month.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

What happened to your titan? Also I agree with you, right now it's wp8 for me, even though they haven't even announced all of the consumer-facing features. I'm still interested in what jellybean will offer, but I doubt they'll have anything that will pull me away from Apollo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom