• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

DagsJT

You have to flash the language pack. That's the same issue I'm having, there is a homebrew app that is supposed to tell you which language pack to flash, but I'm not sure if it works AFTER the fact. I was in the process of testing it when Zune flashed and told me I had an update, so I hope that fixes it for me.

Got a Nokia update showing here, going to update to that and see.

Edit: Nokia update didn't fix it.

DagsJT

That's going to take forever!!

Edit, none of the language packs are installing correctly. :( Is it a different process from the FW upgrades?

Each file is tiny, takes a minute to update them all. I jumped straight to the 2nd set of languages and it was unsuccessful so trying the first set now.

DagsJT

Did they open the gates again recently?

Hmm, I got approval a few months ago now I think.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
None of the major new OS updates this year have been really as "big" as past releases. They're more about picking away at the small features that make it overall better--which I think is fine. In terms of end user features, 4.1 basically addresses UI sluggishness, some notifications enhancements, resizable widgets, Google Now, and offline speech to text. The fact that the Nexus S is getting all this as well as Chrome makes it a no brainer if I was recommending <$200 phones.

The speech thing was pretty awesome though especially how it auto corrected you in the dictation.

The predictive text and the camera stuff looked like it was ripped right out of WP7 (as well as other apps/OSes). The frick'n camera reel was like hey I've seen that before! LOL

I was really impressed with their version of siri though, and I wasn't excited about that feature going in at all. I was pretty much like zzz Siri competitor. Then they showed it off, and I was like woah this seems like really well done.

Biggest thing though is Project Butter could officially make Android as fast as responsive as both WP and iOS. Which means if you liked the OS and all the Google Features + Customization it brings, but stayed away because of the OS UI problems those are gone. Check box for Google and another thing that iOS and WP don't have over Android.

Plus they added in encryption for apps (which may or may not work), but at the very least it could be promising to help curve piracy on the platform.

Nothing revolutionary at all, but at the same time Google hit all of the notes they needed to. Now if you go Android you get all of Google's stuff + Customization + Android Hardware (which until now always seems to be tech leaders since they release stuff so fast) + Android's Full Market Place.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Everything works after installing all language packs.

What was the process you used? I tried installing them one by one and that didn't work, then I tried installing them all in a batch and that didn't work. Is it the same "send cab to device" command?

I keep getting the "update unsuccessful" message. :(

DagsJT

What was the process you used? I tried installing them one by one and that didn't work, then I tried installing them all in a batch and that didn't work. Is it the same "send cab to device" command?

I keep getting the "update unsuccessful" message. :(

Send the 7.10.8112.7 languages first, then the 7.10.8773.98 languages.

Just finished the second batch of languages and all menus working fine :)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Send the 7.10.8112.7 languages first, then the 7.10.8773.98 languages.

Just finished the second batch of languages and all menus working fine :)

Yep, just like the firmware, its a two-step process. Thank you, I'm all set on tango with everything working. I only flashed the English pack, that's all I needed.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
soo what do i have to do to get tango, mind you i havent manually updated my phone before.but i have done it with android

The link that brot put up has everything you need, just start at the first post. If you are pre 8112, you have to update one at a time and flash the language packs for each version as well until you work your way to tango. So 8107 to 8112 to 8773.

Edit: holy crap, the keyboard lag issue is gone for the Focus S!!!! I can use key press sounds again, sweet.

The link that brot put up has everything you need, just start at the first post. If you are pre 8112, you have to update one at a time and flash the language packs for each version as well until you work your way to tango. So 8107 to 8112 to 8773.

Edit: holy crap, the keyboard lag issue is gone for the Focus S!!!! I can use key press sounds again, sweet.

Sounds good. Thanks.

Tomcat

Last and perhaps least noticeably, Google's Project Butter UI is behind the scenes smoothing all the animations out, triple-buffering frames in order to provide a more fluid experience. On the Nexus 7, however, it was a little hard to tell without having an Ice Cream Sandwich device side by side, and still didn't keep up with our swiping fingers as quickly as they do on a recent iPad.

sp much for project butter ui

So, do you think Microsoft will update TellMe with a non-robotic voice? After Siri and Giri they would look silly demonstrating the new features with that same old voice.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I can already tell tonight is going to be a fun long interesting night since somehow I fubared my phone already. LoL

I think I'll just tell everyone what I think about my Lumia 900 here...

Well, coming from an aging Galaxy S, it sure beats having to deal with lag, frequent browser crashes with Opera Mobile (the default Android browser is too creaky), slowness, no camera flash, the laundry list of faults I find with my out-of-date phone... Well, I ended up signing up for a 2-year contract and a Lumia 900, seeing as I'm not going for iOS, don't have much cash for just a phone, and was fed up with Android.

Well, it's certainly one hefty but durable phone, and it's still carry-able. Things are just oh-so-snappy and I don't think I've ever seen a messed-up site ever since switching phones. The only gripe I have with my current phone is that the glass screen is a fingerprint magnet, which isn't much of a bother, seeing as I can clean it easily.

And I bought it even knowing that it'll only get WP7.8 anyway, since if we wait, wait, and wait, it'd be an endless cycle, and I cannot not have a working phone.

thirty

Banned
OMG, Super Monkeyball 2 is amazing. I'm running it on my HD7, 1st gen hardware and I'm blown away by the silky smooth 3D graphics, controls are fantastic too.

Fjolle

Holy Sh... Amazon actually released their apps in Denmark!

I have absolutely no reason to jump ship now. I just need some new and shiny hardware.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
And I bought it even knowing that it'll only get WP7.8 anyway, since if we wait, wait, and wait, it'd be an endless cycle, and I cannot not have a working phone.

You're a brave soul, lol. At least Nokia will be supporting this phone, so if you're going to buy a windows phone, this is the one. Another bonus is that you won't have to wait two years, as long as you pay your bill on time you'll get a chance to upgrade after 18 months or so. That's next year winter, not too bad.

You're a brave soul, lol. At least Nokia will be supporting this phone, so if you're going to buy a windows phone, this is the one. Another bonus is that you won't have to wait two years, as long as you pay your bill on time you'll get a chance to upgrade after 18 months or so. That's next year winter, not too bad.

Haha! Well, what phone do you have right now, anyway? (If that's OK with you.)

Seems like Singapore gets different stuff in the box. I did get a set of headphones. Sounded nicer than what came with my old phone, and more comfortable, too, seeing as it's not the kind that goes all the way into the ear holes...

I got a black one because they didn't have a cyan one. :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I got a Focus S last November so I have another year before I can upgrade. By then, we should have some pretty awesome phones out, maybe even a pureview Nokia.

JaggedSac

Are you on AT&T? Just curious because I am new to AT&T and this would be good news.

Yes. I've been with them forever and never had to wait a full two years. They do charge the $18 upgrade fee, but that's it.

They let you upgrade sooner if you pick iPhone ...

I just check with my local At&t and they said LTE coming may be next year for my area. They said they just upgrade this region to 4G (LOL) so it would be a little while for next upgrade. Another reason I hold off on that Nokia Lumia 900 upgrade (good thing).

hwalker84

They let you upgrade sooner if you pick iPhone ...

I just check with my local At&t and they said LTE coming may be next year for my area. They said they just upgrade this region to 4G (LOL) so it would be a little while for next upgrade. Another reason I hold off on that Nokia Lumia 900 upgrade (good thing).

You maybe waiting a lot longer than that for LTE from AT&T. We've had HSPA+ for awhile in Pittsburgh and I'd be surprised if we have LTE in this area by next year as slow as AT&T LTE rollout has been.

Commodore

Anyone else have an upgrade that lines up at the end of this year for some launch WP8 phones? Wondering if I'm the only one, seems like most of you have an upgrade next year.

dudeguy24

Anyone else have an upgrade that lines up at the end of this year for some launch WP8 phones? Wondering if I'm the only one, seems like most of you have an upgrade next year.

Still rocking my HD7 that I got during the November 2010 launch, so my upgrade lines up too. Otherwise, I'd be furious about only getting the 7.8 update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom