• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sordid

Here's a cache of the broken link: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...one-8-on-the-htc-hd7-and-htc-surround-emerge/

And this is the picture that started the story

image186.png

I can't see it happening but I hope they change their stance on WP8 coming to older handsets, I just sold my Omnia 7 today and bought a Lumia 800 at the same price.

joshschw

Anyone else notice some speed improvements with Tango?
I think it's taking less than half as long to load the search page then it did before. Very nice.

PG2G

Don't get your hopes up. Nobody of any worth has said 7.8 is more than the start screen. In fact, anyone important has said the opposite.

It could happen, it probably wont

any word on that app list yet?

If you were referring to the list that appears when you swipe left on the Start screen, nope, no news, yet.

I think I really like the new Start screen in 7.8/8, though, seeing as I finally can put an entire row of critical functions at the very top of the screen.

For me, the first few rows would be something like this:

Phone | Messaging | People | Hotmail
Internet Explorer | Weather (1)
Weather (2) | Twitter
Pictures | Music + Videos
Photosynth | Creative Studio
Nokia Music | Nokia Maps | Nokia Drive
(Used by above row) | Games | Play To
Marketplace | Settings

How does it look?

Maybe I should ask about everyone's plans!

Yes, you are. Now go back and sit in that corner.
Seeing as we still do not know much about Windows Phone 7.8, aside from the fact that it'll have the new Start screen, I think its a pretty good idea to remain optimistic. Even if the updates don't pan out, I would still be satisfied - the phone is still well-supported with updates that do add functionality. After all, I was looking for stability this time around, since my old phone was severely packing in this particular department.

I think I like the Windows Phone keyboard a lot more than even SwiftKey on my Android. Maybe it's because the prediction is better?

Doffen

Here's a cache of the broken link: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...one-8-on-the-htc-hd7-and-htc-surround-emerge/

And this is the picture that started the story

image186.png

I can't see it happening but I hope they change their stance on WP8 coming to older handsets, I just sold my Omnia 7 today and bought a Lumia 800 at the same price.

I hope not. As an application developer I want to have more power from the device I’m developing for. This will benefit both you as a consumer and developers.

JaggedSac

I hope not. As an application developer I want to have more power from the device I’m developing for. This will benefit both you as a consumer and developers.

So you don't think WP8 is going to be on low end devices with power similar to 1st and 2nd gen WP7 devices?

Doffen

So you don't think WP8 is going to be on low end devices with power similar to 1st and 2nd gen WP7 devices?

So you honestly believe that Microsoft will be splitting the Windows Phone 8 marketplace between high-end devices and low-end devices? They already got Windows Phone 7.8 to cover the low-end market. Why do they need Windows Phone 8 to do the same?

JaggedSac

So you honestly believe that Microsoft will be splitting the Windows Phone 8 marketplace between high-end devices and low-end devices? They already got Windows Phone 7.8 to cover the low-end market. Why do they need Windows Phone 8 to do the same?

So you are saying they are going to continue to sell 7.8 devices after 8 releases? Regardless of the fact that new apps will not be compatible with them? Or are you saying that if devs want to target low end devices, they can release two versions of their app, one 7.8 compatible and one 8 compatible? Just curious how you see this playing out in the future.

Complex Shadow said:
I am pretty sure low end devcies will have locks in place. Like they do today.

Definitely, but at least with locks in place, some WP8 apps that are developed would be available instead of 0.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Anyone know what Language packs I need for the Lumia 900 for this Tango update?

What firmware are you on? Remember its probably a two-step process from where you are, so if you are on 8107, you have to jump to 8112, then install the language packs for that, then flash the 8773 Tango cab, then the language packs for that. You can flash all the language packs if you want, but the main one for you (English) is 0409. If you need another language, let me know and I'll look up the number.

hwalker84

What firmware are you on? Remember its probably a two-step process from where you are, so if you are on 8107, you have to jump to 8112, then install the language packs for that, then flash the 8773 Tango cab, then the language packs for that. You can flash all the language packs if you want, but the main one for you (English) is 0409. If you need another language, let me know and I'll look up the number.

Found almost everything I needed after that post. I think I'm good I'll let you know. The ATT Lumia 900 came with 8112 already on it. I needed English and Spanish. Do you send the Spanish Language pack after the install?

Doffen

So you are saying they are going to continue to sell 7.8 devices after 8 releases? Regardless of the fact that new apps will not be compatible with them? Or are you saying that if devs want to target low end devices, they can release two versions of their app, one 7.8 compatible and one 8 compatible? Just curious how you see this playing out in the future.

I'm saying that Microsoft has confirmed that app developers will be able to continue to publish apps for Windows Phone 7.X even after the release of Windows Phone 8.
And yes I also believe that you will be able to buy at least Lumia 610, 710, 800 and 900 after the launch of Windows Phone 8.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Found almost everything I needed after that post. I think I'm good I'll let you know. The ATT Lumia 900 came with 8112 already on it. I needed English and Spanish. Do you send the Spanish Language pack after the install?

Both are flashed after the FW install, and you can flash both languages simultaneously. Spanish is 0C0A

Yo guys, I got a question. I got an Omnia 7 for my mom (might keep it, it's awesome, and giveher my Android phone :p), but it's not in my language. The phone is build 7.10.8107.79, which is Mango. It doesn't have Dutch, just the standard 5 languaged is had from the beginning: German, English (x2), Spanish, French and Italian. The phone doesn't have Dutch, becouse first gen phones pre-mango didn't support Dutch. What do you guys suggest I should do to add Dutch? I've read that I should downgrade the firmware to NoDo, enable my language in NoDo registry and then update trough Zune to Mango..

I'm clueless :(

Someone on XDA posted the links to the Tango update files.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=27960331#post27960331

As usual, no rooting or cracking or unlocking is required to install the updates.

I'm updating right now and secretly hope my phone explodes.

Interesting. My issue would be solved if I updated from Mango to Tango with the required language pack right? Would that void my warrantee?

Frost_Ace

fucking hell! :(

My phone is stuck, won't unlock, won't turn on/off, I knew I shouldn't have updated to tango via cab >__>

what do I do?

Frost_Ace

I couldn't pull the battery out (lumia 800 user here) so I hard reset it :/

Thang God I use few apps so I can't reinstall them quickly.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Let your mom plug in her phone, let it update to Mango, then flash the mango language pack for Dutch: 0407 (Dansk is 0406). You have to make sure that the version of the Dutch language pack cab that you use is the same as the FW version of her phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom