• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeOak

Anyone else have an upgrade that lines up at the end of this year for some launch WP8 phones? Wondering if I'm the only one, seems like most of you have an upgrade next year.

I've been elegible since 3 and a half years ago. Kept buying unlocked phones with hardware keyboard; that is why I have a Dell Venue Pro.

I hope Dell releases 7.8 for this one.

PG2G

My upgrade lined up with the Lumia 900 release, I'm waiting though. Everyone that bought a gen 1 device around launch (on AT&T) should be on that schedule.

Except we are still waiting for the Nokia firmware to fix the brightness issue, which as far as I know isn't included with this update.
Out of curiousity, can you elaborate on the brightness issue? I have no idea about it, perhaps because I don't seem to have encountered it yet. Automatic brightness + medium brightness works well enough for me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Out of curiousity, can you elaborate on the brightness issue? I have no idea about it, perhaps because I don't seem to have encountered it yet. Automatic brightness + medium brightness works well enough for me.

If you have it set on low brightness you get a purplish hue, which is primarly noticable with the keyboard. I have my brightness set on medium so I don't notice it.

If you have it set on low brightness you get a purplish hue, which is primarly noticable with the keyboard. I have my brightness set on medium so I don't notice it.

Funny thing is, I don't notice the hue even at low and in a pitch black room. Guess I got lucky with my screen... or the models we get are all fixed models.

kazinova

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/6/28/3122706/skulls-of-shogun-to-be-first-game-to-have-asynchronous-xbla-play-and

Skulls of the Shogun is going to have cross-platform play so you can play on your 360 and continue on your tablet/WP or vice versa. That is really awesome and I hope we see more of that in the futures.

Edit: Giant Bomb quick look as well http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-skulls-of-the-shogun-on-windows-8-tablet/17-6273/

I chatted with the devs at PAX Prime, back then they were excited to make a WP7 version. But as that game takes longer to come out it makes the likelihood of it being WP8 W8 360 exclusive really high!

I'm still rocking my launch Focus (eligible for upgrade in October 2012), bring on the WP8 phones, I'm ready to receive!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I chatted with the devs at PAX Prime, back then they were excited to make a WP7 version. But as that game takes longer to come out it makes the likelihood of it being WP8 W8 360 exclusive really high!

I'm still rocking my launch Focus (eligible for upgrade in October 2012), bring on the WP8 phones, I'm ready to receive!

I would think since WP7 would get it as well since it is already running on the device. I hope so anyways.

PG2G

That is cool, the roadblock to this is potentially having to purchase the same game for 3 different devices (Phone, Xbox, Windows 8). I don't really expect to buy once at the normal price and play everywhere, but it'd be awesome if you could do so for a little extra.

Though, not sure if I want WP XBLA games to transition to the ~$10 prices we see on Xbox 360 :p

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That is cool, the roadblock to this is potentially having to purchase the same game for 3 different devices (Phone, Xbox, Windows 8). I don't really expect to buy once at the normal price and play everywhere, but it'd be awesome if you could do so for a little extra.

Though, not sure if I want WP XBLA games to transition to the ~$10 prices we see on Xbox 360 :p

Yeah, I'm really curious to see how they price it. If there is some sort if bundle that would be cool. I also like that you will get notifications on your 360 when it is your turn. That is pretty sweet.

Raistlin

Why are they keeping any additional changes close to their chests? Are they not sure if they can get them working properly?

Unlikely. The aren't showing off most of the UI changes and features for WP8 at this time either. They only want to show it close to launch.

CaptainABAB

As a Windows Phone fan, I would be really happy with a strong 3rd place showing.

The plan so far...
X WebOS (destroyed due to Palm/HP mis-management)
X Symbian/Meego/ (money hat Nokia)
X BlackBerry (RIMM self destruct)

So who is left? Samsung's Bada? Does it even have any type of ecosystem?

Now, if we can just get some sales with WP8...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
3rd place by default cause everybody else imploded....I'll take it. *evil grin*

Now, it's no given that the market can/will sustain three players, but I don't think double digit market share is out of the question.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Reuters saying that RIM is considering going 2nd party like Nokia with Windows Phone 8. They make good hardware, would be nice to have them onboard.

ElNino

Reuters saying that RIM is considering going 2nd party like Nokia with Windows Phone 8. They make good hardware, would be nice to have them onboard.
Windows Phone 8 with BlackBerry email push services and BBM along on a Bold 9900 like device would be awesome for business.

PG2G

If they change platforms, either Google or Microsoft will be coughing up some money for it. I'd bet on Microsoft winning that one out, but you never know.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
They can even use the same chassis they have for the bb10 devices. Put in wp8, use the default s4 chipset, and ship it out this fall. Too late for that now, but if Thornsten had acted more quickly, it certainly could've happened. As it stands, they won't have any new hardware this year. That's just fatal.

PG2G

What Windows 8 Phones are going to have a hardware keyboard?

We don't have any real information on any Windows Phone 8 devices. There have been rumors of 3 HTC's, none of which had a hardware keyboard. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see any hardware keyboards at launch. I can't even think of any recent-ish Android phones with hardware keyboards.

We don't have any real information on any Windows Phone 8 devices. There have been rumors of 3 HTC's, none of which had a hardware keyboard. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see any hardware keyboards at launch. I can't even think of any recent-ish Android phones with hardware keyboards.

HTC abandoned hardware keyboards.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I thought it was just a matter of finding oem's that were specific to a platform and seeing how they performed in the market, didn't know it got more specific in terms of financial condition etc.

How about Motorola Mobility? Wasn't their situation pretty dire when Google took over?

kharma45

Credit to the devs on the official Twitter app, having used it through the day now performance on my first gen phone is pretty good and it was working push notifications too.

Good effort.

hwalker84

I hate when people post links and don't comment on what they posted or why people should click on the link, and this is worse because the link is dead. On a PC, you can see the URL and try to get a clue whether you should click on it, not so easy on a phone.
Sorry man I was in the middle if some stuff at work and could only post the link.

Basically it said developers have seen in their logs WP8 running on multiple gen 1 devices.

Troll

Banned
At this point, with BB10 being delayed to '13 and all, RIM needs to dump it's body. I for one would totally welcome them to the WP family. I mean, I would never buy one or anything but BBM in the marketplace would be pretty nice.

Sorry man I was in the middle if some stuff at work and could only post the link.

Basically it said developers have seen in their logs WP8 running on multiple gen 1 devices.

Is that a surprise? As I've said before, it's a near certainty that Nokias low end phones will be less powerful than the 710/800/900.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom