• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the 800, not the newly announced 900 magenta.

Edit: anybody have a link to the official page with the announcement? Is it matte or gloss?

It's probably matte.

One note about the pink color – this is not a case where pink paint is applied on the top layer. The Lumia 900 is polycarbonate, meaning it’s constructed of one piece of plastic – the unibody construction is pink all the way through. So, if you get a scratch on your Lumia 900, it won’t show obviously because of the amazing construction process.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/07/09/att-exclusive-lumia-900-is-pretty-in-pink/

Ended up upgrading to the white Lumia 900, from my Samsung Focus. Fuck it, I'll hopefully have a bonus by the time WP8 comes out so it may not hit me too hard.

VanMardigan had a good idea with selling the Focus and buying an unlocked Lumia...the only probably was my Focus has had a cracked screen for months, so I really wouldn't be able to resell it. It'll make a decent MP3 player for now.

Really liking the Lumia, love the new blue theme and it is noticeably smoother than the Focus. Only problems I'm having is that my Music tile isn't updating even though I have Zune-acquired music on there, and my Newser app live tile isn't updating either. Also, I never used to get "warning, more than 9 programs running background" warnings on the Focus but I get them every so often with the Lumia, and pretty much have the same apps, if not a few less. Weird.

kharma45

[URL="http://www.wpcentral.com/rumor-leaked-details-windows-phone-78-shows-little-new-features-wp8-may-get-intonow-alternative"]Rumor - Leaked details of Windows Phone 7.8 shows little new features. But WP8 may get IntoNow alternative.[/URL]

wp78%20feature%20set2.png

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Scumbag IE Team:

Brags about how modular IE in Mango is

Never updates it

That's probably the biggest issue I have with wp7. They never updated IE, the market, or any of the hubs. That's really embarrassing considering how the competition handles those components.

frontieruk

My girl would kill for this on TMobile.

Question: My Fiance currently is using my backup Samsung Focus on TMobile (so she only has Edge data speed) I found a Nokia 710 on Craigslist for $150 do you think it's worth it? Also the Focus was my only backup phone.

Love my 710, but it's a micro-sim so may not be of much use as a backup

giga

Not it wasn't. It's a separate download that then integrates into the OS. That API is open to others not just Skype.
I know about integrating other voip apps, but I remember seeing leaked screens that showed Skype as an account you can add just like facebook and twitter.

TTOOLL

Just found out that the 900 is due to this month here in Brazil. I reeeally want a WP, although I have upgraded my ancient Optimus One to CM9 and it's usable now, really enjoying it but I don't know if I could wait until nov/dec...

I'm afraid of the prices of WP8 devices here at the launch period too. Brazil sucks in terms of technology =(

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Already happened last week:

GDKI4

The "Android" is probably one of the ugliest mascots I've ever seen

But seriously, with "you guys" I meant the people who are waiting for a PureView phone. I'm not waiting for one, I don't really want one. The camera is sexy, but I have no interest in a Quasimodo phone.
galxyz nuxuz is 4 scrubs and nubs.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
:'(

So when is the One X getting jellybean?

Not sure. It's on 4.0.3 right now, but it's got 4.0.4 coming. They've already updated this phone once across the globe even on carrier dealing places. So it gives me hope that HTC finally cares, and shows me AT&T for now is pushing updates for this thing (something I couldn't say about my focus since they never pushed the keyboard bug update or Tango yet).

I'd love to post some WP comparisons after my 1st night of having my new phone, but that would probably cause to much commotion since those types of discussions spiral out control. I know some of you would be really cool with it all, but to bad the others ruin it for us.

Commodore

Not sure. It's on 4.0.3 right now, but it's got 4.0.4 coming. They've already updated this phone once across the globe even on carrier dealing places. So it gives me hope that HTC finally cares, and shows me AT&T for now is pushing updates for this thing (something I couldn't say about my focus since they never pushed the keyboard bug update or Tango yet).

I'd love to post some WP comparisons after my 1st night of having my new phone, but that would probably cause to much commotion since those types of discussions spiral out control. I know some of you would be really cool with it all, but to bad the others ruin it for us.

Its cool. Be honest...honestly this thread is one of the more grown up threads I frequent. I'm sure we can cope with a compare/contrast. You're a real straight shooter right?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'll throw some quick things out there.

At least with WP7 I think it's an easier design to follow. You get where everything is, how to finds things like phone settings, don't have a ton of menus etc... in which case I think WP7 still wins in this regard. Sense 4.0 as well as Android in general still has a lot of areas to poke through where as WP7 had your home screen with live titles and swipe to the left for the app list.

I have to swipe up on my One X to log in and that fucks with me everytime as I try to swipe down on my lock screen. Not a big fan of the random half circle at the bottom on the lock screen either. WP7 looked cleaner even if you couldn't actually do some of things you can on the One X lock screen like unlock directly to the web.

I tried to test the camera out and was reaching for the hardware camera button. Wish the One X had one. That being said the pics looked good, and yes the camera lives up to the fast shutter speed thing as advertised.

Also I like how most WP7 apps try to be Metro where as Android apps do seem slightly all over the place. If only everything could follow Holo designs and come out with ICS as their base.

It might sound like I really am hating on my One X and I'm not. The biggest winrar so far is while I haven't tried out the stock browser the 1st thing I did once I got my phone setup was to go to the play store and download Chrome for Android. I've heard good things and it recently came out of Beta into full deal. Plus I have an ICS phone so I can download it.

Chrome so far has been the killer feature. Not that it's Chrome or that I can sync with my desktop browser or any of that. Just Chrome itself. Now I'm not sure if it's Chrome or the S4 chip or ICS or what, but the browsing experience was baller. Shit loaded fast on my wifi connection. Everything looked great on my Super LCD2 720p res 4.7" display. Plus the experience was sooo smooth even in picture heavy threads on GAF.

Chrome is the one area where I'd say it's clearly heads and shoulders above what I had with my Focus using WP 7.5 and IE9. Like I said not sure if it's Chrome, the phone specs, or ICS. Probably a combo. Plus I was using a launch WP7 device verses a new device with a better chipset. There might not be a huge gap between say the HTC Titan II and the HTC One X. Between my Focus and the One X it's night and day though. Considering this is what I use my phone for the most it's a big win.

Not sure about e-mail. I have two things that were actually preinstalled. I got the stock HTC deal, and I have the gmail app installed. For some reason I guess through setup the GMail app got setup cause when I pulled up an e-mail through the notification draw it sent me to that. I don't dislike the gmail app, but I'm not fully in love either. Gonna try out the built in HTC one tomorrow. WP7 seemed a little less cluttered e-mail wise which made things a little more readable IMO.

Speaking of which having a unified notification drawer (which I've gone back and forth on in my mind) really has been a win so far. I know it's not NEEDED persay, and MS has spoken out against it. That being said it would be a nice WP8 feature as it works really well here. Just wish I had those expanded notifications that Google showed off in JB.

I really like the Super IPS LCD2 display. Sure the blacks might not be as black, but the high res looks nice. Plus I really like the color accuracy which even I'll admit was an issue on my Focus (despite really liking blue stuff). I've yet to really use a Super AMOLED + display though to see if that might be a more apt comparison against the LCD2 stuff.

I'll post some more tomorrow. If any of you people have any questions regarding the similarities and differences and comparisons let me know.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nice comments. I hope there is some sort of notification center in WP8. A combination of live tile updates and and notification center would be sweet.

Commodore

I tried to test the camera out and was reaching for the hardware camera button. Wish the One X had one. That being said the pics looked good, and yes the camera lives up to the fast shutter speed thing as advertised.

I don't get why every hardware manufacturer isn't including a hardware camera button. Still one the best features the WP team made when considering baseline requirements. Nice straight up comparison. I welcome more. And yeah, I feel a bit of envy, having to use IE everyday. I can't say the experience is deplorable, but it could be better. I wish MS would allow third party browsers to be accessible as an option to pick as a default. They tend to work better on their stuff when there's competition.

bedlamite

WP is in a bit of a lull right now, till the end of the year, and really, with 4.1 announced and coming to Android phones in the near future it's an ideal time to jump onto the Android bandwagon, even if it's just for a look-see look-see. I still use the L800 as my main phone but I've just threw on a custom 4.0.3 AOSP ROM onto my htc backup and the OS has given the phone a new lease of life. The UI's still a little too Tron for my liking, but it still blows away the Gingerbread-looking Touchwiz and whatever Sense looks like. When 4.1 ROMs drop I suspect I'll move back to Android too, till the end of the year, when the WP8 handsets start coming out.

Brettison said:
Not a big fan of the random half circle at the bottom on the lock screen either. WP7 looked cleaner even if you couldn't actually do some of things you can on the One X lock screen like unlock directly to the web.
Check out Widgetlocker, it'll let you override the Sense lockscreen. I think you mentioned previously you didn't wantto get into excessive hackery, but really, that's the beauty of Android. Of course, you could just leave things as they are, but Sense is going to get old real fast.

I agree with you that WP7 is a more straightforward OS, one of the things about Android is that's always bugged me is how unintuitive OS settings can be. Submenus piled below more submenus, shit's confusing. Then again, WP7 is a rather immature OS so we'll see if the simplicity in this version carries over to 8.

Every modern OS needs a notifications center. I appreciate what MS is doing with the live tile concept but you can't have EVERY app up on your homescreen, what happens for updates that aren't on there? Again, that fan concept with hiding the notification center off to the left side of the homescreen makes tons of sense, I really hope MS does something else with consolidating app updates, hell even a hub tile would be enough.

joshschw

Upgrading from my Trophy to the Lumia 710 provided such a massive difference in web browsing and gaming at the top of the improvements. I had been thinking games due to xna scripting were just doomed to be slow on WP7 devices. but they run great on the second gen phone. Unplayable jerky messes to perfectly smooth. Was not expecting it.

Likewise, internet is also more than twice as fast as the old phone ,on the Lumia. So the jump from your Focus to OneX is probably a testament to just how underpowered those gen1 WP devices are nowadays. You don't notice the slow speeds till you get faster, because even running slowly everything is nice and smooth for the most part.

I will say that my Lumia was slaughtering an apparently much more powerful Photon 4g that my cousin had over the other day. Bested it in everything.

So it is some specs. Some software, but IE on Lumia is fast too, and some just new gadget goggles, We all get those!! Lol

Rock on and have fun with new phone, you will be back....!

At least with WP7 I think it's an easier design to follow. You get where everything is, how to finds things like phone settings, don't have a ton of menus etc... in which case I think WP7 still wins in this regard. Sense 4.0 as well as Android in general still has a lot of areas to poke through where as WP7 had your home screen with live titles and swipe to the left for the app list.

I have to swipe up on my One X to log in and that fucks with me everytime as I try to swipe down on my lock screen. Not a big fan of the random half circle at the bottom on the lock screen either. WP7 looked cleaner even if you couldn't actually do some of things you can on the One X lock screen like unlock directly to the web.

Also I like how most WP7 apps try to be Metro where as Android apps do seem slightly all over the place. If only everything could follow Holo designs and come out with ICS as their base.

It might sound like I really am hating on my One X and I'm not. The biggest winrar so far is while I haven't tried out the stock browser the 1st thing I did once I got my phone setup was to go to the play store and download Chrome for Android. I've heard good things and it recently came out of Beta into full deal. Plus I have an ICS phone so I can download it.

Chrome so far has been the killer feature. Not that it's Chrome or that I can sync with my desktop browser or any of that. Just Chrome itself. Now I'm not sure if it's Chrome or the S4 chip or ICS or what, but the browsing experience was baller. Shit loaded fast on my wifi connection. Everything looked great on my Super LCD2 720p res 4.7" display. Plus the experience was sooo smooth even in picture heavy threads on GAF.

Chrome is the one area where I'd say it's clearly heads and shoulders above what I had with my Focus using WP 7.5 and IE9. Like I said not sure if it's Chrome, the phone specs, or ICS. Probably a combo. Plus I was using a launch WP7 device verses a new device with a better chipset. There might not be a huge gap between say the HTC Titan II and the HTC One X. Between my Focus and the One X it's night and day though. Considering this is what I use my phone for the most it's a big win.

Not sure about e-mail. I have two things that were actually preinstalled. I got the stock HTC deal, and I have the gmail app installed. For some reason I guess through setup the GMail app got setup cause when I pulled up an e-mail through the notification draw it sent me to that. I don't dislike the gmail app, but I'm not fully in love either. Gonna try out the built in HTC one tomorrow. WP7 seemed a little less cluttered e-mail wise which made things a little more readable IMO.

Speaking of which having a unified notification drawer (which I've gone back and forth on in my mind) really has been a win so far. I know it's not NEEDED persay, and MS has spoken out against it. That being said it would be a nice WP8 feature as it works really well here. Just wish I had those expanded notifications that Google showed off in JB.

I really like the Super IPS LCD2 display. Sure the blacks might not be as black, but the high res looks nice. Plus I really like the color accuracy which even I'll admit was an issue on my Focus (despite really liking blue stuff). I've yet to really use a Super AMOLED + display though to see if that might be a more apt comparison against the LCD2 stuff.

I'll post some more tomorrow. If any of you people have any questions regarding the similarities and differences and comparisons let me know.

Out of all phones on the market, you get one with Sense.

You make me sick, Brettison.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
AT&T says Lumia 900 will get Tango update, doesn't say anything about any of their other WP devices.

/scumbag AT&T

The Focus S update leaked, so thats getting tango for sure as well. I pretty sure all the phones will get tango, or else just flash it yourself. 7.8 is the update I have doubts about for the 1st gen devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom