• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshicus

The specs all say WP7 and 480x800 resolution...

I'm 99% sure that "WP7" is just a categorisation of the tool rather than something returned by the phones themselves. Someone just needs to refine the category to say "Windows Phone" or to split out the Windows Phone 8 from Windows Phone 7/7.5 buckets.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Upgrading from my Trophy to the Lumia 710 provided such a massive difference in web browsing and gaming at the top of the improvements. I had been thinking games due to xna scripting were just doomed to be slow on WP7 devices. but they run great on the second gen phone. Unplayable jerky messes to perfectly smooth. Was not expecting it.

Likewise, internet is also more than twice as fast as the old phone ,on the Lumia. So the jump from your Focus to OneX is probably a testament to just how underpowered those gen1 WP devices are nowadays. You don't notice the slow speeds till you get faster, because even running slowly everything is nice and smooth for the most part.

I will say that my Lumia was slaughtering an apparently much more powerful Photon 4g that my cousin had over the other day. Bested it in everything.

So it is some specs. Some software, but IE on Lumia is fast too, and some just new gadget goggles, We all get those!! Lol

Rock on and have fun with new phone, you will be back....!

I figured me being on a gen1 chipset was holding the browser back based on all of the comments when people got Lumias who had 1st gen sets and said there was a big difference.

Even still Chrome is just boss in general. They've taken the lead as the best browser in the desktop space IMO, and they're doing the exact same thing in mobile now going by my 1st impressions at least.

PS: Nice to have a good battery again. Shit barely drained all night on standby! My focus was getting annoying as shit in that department.

hwalker84

I figured me being on a gen1 chipset was holding the browser back based on all of the comments when people got Lumias who had 1st gen sets and said there was a big difference.

Even still Chrome is just boss in general. They've taken the lead as the best browser in the desktop space IMO, and they're doing the exact same thing in mobile now going by my 1st impressions at least.

PS: Nice to have a good battery again. Shit barely drained all night on standby! My focus was getting annoying as shit in that department.

Maybe I'm just nitpicking (actually I'm not because its work related) but I absolutely HATE the way Chrome handles downloads. There's no built-in intelligence. For example IE, and Firefox know that a .jnlp file should be temporary and to not place it in my default download directory. There's some workaround but it's highly annoying. There's also no send page to email function.

Milchjon

That PixelSense demo was awesome.

Can I rewatch that somewhere?

Right now they're fucking up presenting Microsoft Translate. Oh man. Has MS ever had a presentation without problems?

Photosynth crashed, too. What an embarassment.

Edit: Ah shit, I just caught up to PixelSense. Impressive.

hwalker84

Can I rewatch that somewhere?

Right now they're fucking up presenting Microsoft Translate. Oh man. Has MS ever had a presentation without problems?

Photosynth crashed, too. What an embarassment.

Edit: Ah shit, I just caught up to PixelSense. Impressive.

No clue. I'm on a phone meeting and when I jumped back to the tab I saw one of the MS guys doing some Minority Report stuff with a PixelSense table flying around the galaxy.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
PDC seems like a waste of time, and MS continually shows off crap that isn't ready and has no business being shown. Surface should not have been unveiled until closer to October. These pie in the sky things like kinect 3d printing is nonsense. Either ship a product or shut up until its ready.

Also, they need to be talking more about Apollo. Its supposed to be in the same time table as windows 8 yet we've already seen windows 8 devices, you can get the release preview etc. Meanwhile, all we heard about Apollo was some dev oriented stuff and terrible news for current owners. The windows team is gonna fuck up the phone team because sinofsky doesn't give a shit about windows phone. We now have to wait until the windows team reveals their features before we can get info on the phone features. Last summer, we knew just about all the mango features and we were installing the mango demos on our phones. This year, very little info while windows 8 is getting showcased. Not a good sign for the independence of the phone team and their ability to schedule events and provide information.

PDC seems like a waste of time, and MS continually shows off crap that isn't ready and has no business being shown. Surface should not have been unveiled until closer to October. These pie in the sky things like kinect 3d printing is nonsense. Either ship a product or shut up until its ready.

Also, they need to be talking more about Apollo. Its supposed to be in the same time table as windows 8 yet we've already seen windows 8 devices, you can get the release preview etc. Meanwhile, all we heard about Apollo was some dev oriented stuff and terrible news for current owners. The windows team is gonna fuck up the phone team because sinofsky doesn't give a shit about windows phone. We now have to wait until the windows team reveals their features before we can get info on the phone features. Last summer, we knew just about all the mango features and we were installing the mango demos on our phones. This year, very little info while windows 8 is getting showcased. Not a good sign for the independence of the phone team and their ability to schedule events and provide information.

The full feature set of Mango was shown in late July last year.

I'm so, so wrong. Jesus. Must be that Android malware in my head.

The Mango event was in May and the press published preview articles in late June.

Alright, grab the pitchforks.

Milchjon

They called it a "Vision" keynote, and that's what it was.

PG2G

So you want them to talk about some products only when they are near release and some right now? While we all want info ASAP, I'd rather see them do a big Apollo blow out with full details, release, and devices closer to launch.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully we don't have to wait until Nokia's event for more WP8 news.

For me the metro app design for WP will always trump the other platforms and that is not changing for WP8 so I see no reason to switch. And if Nokia really won't launch till January I can wait. The 900 is still a great phone.

PG2G

It's okay, we all make mistakes.

Good one. Honestly though, there was not a single blog post, news story, or any other indication that we'd be getting Windows Phone news at this event. There was a single tweet from a nobody who got called out by Tom Warren.

Not every event is going to a platform for Windows Phone announcements.

Vanillalite

Maybe I'm just nitpicking (actually I'm not because its work related) but I absolutely HATE the way Chrome handles downloads. There's no built-in intelligence. For example IE, and Firefox know that a .jnlp file should be temporary and to not place it in my default download directory. There's some workaround but it's highly annoying. There's also no send page to email function.

I haven't downloaded anything yet so I can't really say. I just like the speed and accuracy of the browsing.

The full feature set of Mango was shown in late July last year.

I'm so, so wrong. Jesus. Must be that Android malware in my head.

The Mango event was in May and the press published preview articles in late June.

Alright, grab the pitchforks.

Its been like this though. We got lucky with the Tango leak. In reality it seems like the WP8 team has been hamstrung since the Mango launch.

Good one. Honestly though, there was not a single blog post, news story, or any other indication that we'd be getting Windows Phone news at this event. There was a single tweet from a nobody who got called out by Tom Warren.

Not every event is going to a platform for Windows Phone announcements.

I just kinda hoped for something, because Microsoft showed the Mango phones last year at WPC.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So you want them to talk about some products only when they are near release and some right now? While we all want info ASAP, I'd rather see them do a big Apollo blow out with full details, release, and devices closer to launch.

They had a summit that was in line with what their competitors were doing, it was in line with what the phone team did last year, and it was even more conservative than what their own company is doing for windows 8, which has the same release time frame. I don't mind holding on to device info, but they whiffed on their summit and failed to capture any momentum for the platform. We should know more about Apollo, even in this thread you see the effects of withholding info and moving slowly.

Edit: or conversely, what is the upside of withholding Apollo information at this point? IOS 6 is revealed, jellybean is revealed, what are they afraid of? Nothing they show now has any chance of making it into the other platforms this year. If they have more info on 7.8, they should come out and release it, they're killing Nokia, which just sent a pink lumia out to die. There is no point in playing coy with 7.8 info. Same with Apollo. Sinofsky had no problem showing off essentially a prototype tablet that froze on him, yet we can't learn the consumer facing features of Apollo until an undisclosed future date? Why?

They had a summit that was in line with what their competitors were doing, it was in line with what the phone team did last year, and it was even more conservative than what their own company is doing for windows 8, which has the same release time frame. I don't mind holding on to device info, but they whiffed on their summit and failed to capture any momentum for the platform. We should know more about Apollo, even in this thread you see the effects of withholding info and moving slowly.

To be fair, it was supposed to be a developer summit. Those are hardly exciting. A bit like how they teased Mango at MWC 2011.

Vanillalite

To be fair, it was supposed to be a developer summit. Those are hardly exciting. A bit like how they teased Mango at MWC 2011.

We're back to the age old argument where some of us think MS doesn't have the time to slowly move towards their current plans of the fall while others say they shouldn't rush things.

I'm in Van's camp on this. You all know I've always thought MS has moved to slowly and has had a nonchalant attitude towards the platform though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

What was the point of an Apollo dev conference where you dont release API's, you dont give out reference hardware, you dont release beta software, you dont give out platform access to an Apollo emulator, and you don't provide a full feature set?

What are devs supposed to do with the info from the summit?

What was the point of an Apollo dev conference where you dont release API's, you dont give out reference hardware, you dont release beta software, you dont give out platform access to an Apollo emulator, and you don't provide a full feature set?

What are devs supposed to do with the info from the summit?

Don't ask me, it wasn't my idea. The original invitation they send out said "sneak peak of the next Windows Phone version" or something. They got a bit of press coverage and that's it.

My bet is that they wanted to get the elephant in the room out of the way, so the real announcement won't have that much negative press.

PG2G

They were accused of detailing Mango too early so they are holding things closer to their chest.

I do agree that the developer bits should be out though.

That's how it shows up in my phone, how are the songs listed on yours?

Non-alphabetical.

Zune seems to assign songs a track number and lists them that way instead of alphabetical. You can sort alphabetically in the Zune software in Windows 7 after selecting a playlist but it defaults back to the track number if another playlist is selected. There is no sorting option I'm aware of in WP7.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
ah, playlists. I know songs show up alphabetically on the main list, no idea how to sort within a playlist. Probably no way to do it on the phone.

hwalker84

Non-alphabetical.

Zune seems to assign songs a track number and lists them that way instead of alphabetical. You can sort alphabetically in the Zune software in Windows 7 after selecting a playlist but it defaults back to the track number if another playlist is selected. There is no sorting option I'm aware of in WP7.

Sort it the way you want in Zune and then sync or are you asking can you change the sorting in a playlist from the phone itself?

Sort it the way you want in Zune and then sync or are you asking can you change the sorting in a playlist from the phone itself?

I can click on the song tab and sort them alphabetically in Zune while in a playlist but that only last as long as I'm in that playlist. When I switch to another playlist that setting does not stick. The songs get transferred to my phone in the same order as they are in Zune (which lists them by some arbitrary track number by default).

hwalker84

I can click on the song tab and sort them alphabetically in Zune while in a playlist but that only last as long as I'm in that playlist. When I switch to another playlist that setting does not stick. The songs get transferred to my phone in the same order as they are in Zune (which lists them by some arbitrary track number by default).

I can tell you for a fact that I was able to sort my playlist exactly how I wanted it in the Zune Software. I have several artists catalogs as playlist and was able to manually change the sorting to be by release date.

PG2G

I believe playlists are ordered as you add and remove elements, not by an arbitrary track number. Can you drag them around to re-order them?

Still can't figure out why my Lumia 900 isn't displaying album art/updating the Music tile. Any ideas?

make sure the artists you listen to actually have pictures for the livetile. some do, some dont. to test this, you could go to the marketplace and preview something like linkin park (lol) who definitely have a live tile picture

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Still can't figure out why my Lumia 900 isn't displaying album art/updating the Music tile. Any ideas?

So you're getting the artist background in the music hub but not the live tile? If so, then try unpinning the music tile, then rebooting the phone and pinning it back (not sure if rebooting is necessary, just threw that out there). If you're not getting the artist artist background in the music hub, then it could be a country/region setting. Check that.

Yeah, I have no idea WTF is going on. It's happening with music I download straight from the Zune marketplace, I'm in the US region, I've tried disabling "Connect to Zune" in the Music settings, then rebooting and reconnecting, tried unpinning/repinning. Why am I feeling I'll need to do a reset?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Right, but all the artists who DID update on my Samsung Focus, aren't on here. It's not just some artists, zero artists are appearing.

You haven't actually explained the problem well, or at least this part: is it just the live tile or the music hub as well that fails to update with artist background?

Also, resetting sucks. I'm working my way back from that to fix a visual voicemail bug caused by AT&T. I'm SLOWLY installing my apps back from the web market, but this is horrible. Can't believe MS will never fix this for WP 7.5 devices.

And then there are the disappearing apps. WTF happened to MyWalk? Such a great app, now it won't show up on my market. When I use the link, it says not available on my device. Also, I had one called CartoonTV that also disappeared. ugh. *gets back to installing apps manually.*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom