• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

Also old Focus is one of the few Windows Phone that you could upgrade the storage.

Yeah it's a little be annoying my OG Focus which I gave to the fiancee when her Nexus S died has more space than my 900.

All I want come 4th Quarter is 4.3+ inch screen either 720 or 768, 32GB of storage and a killer camera. I'd prefer if Nokia was the one making this device but if it's HTC or Samsung I'll consider it.

Troll

Banned
Yeah it's a little be annoying my OG Focus which I gave to the fiancee when her Nexus S died has more space than my 900.

All I want come 4th Quarter is 4.3+ inch screen either 720 or 768, 32GB of storage and a killer camera. I'd prefer if Nokia was the one making this device but if it's HTC or Samsung I'll consider it.

I am basically looking for that too. If not, I need to decide on what other phones could fit my needs.

Fjolle

I'm pretty sure that every one of them will come with one like that.

I'll probably get whatever Nokia makes that replaces the Lumia 800. I'm excited to see if they actually have designed something new, or are rehashing the lumia 800/900 look.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, I'm thinking of selling a bunch of stuff and getting a Nokia Apollo phone in the fall. I doubt I'd be able to wait until next year when my upgrade is due.

ElNino

Call me a pessimist, but getting $100 for a Focus at this stage of the game seems like a pipe dream. Maybe for the Focus S or Focus Flash, but no way is anyone paying $100 for an OG Focus.
It's shocking sometimes how much people are willing to pay for phones off contract. I used to sell my phones when I upgraded for a fair amount more than what I payed for them one year previous, but lately I've just been giving my old phones to family/friends to use. It makes them happy as they get a phone much better than what they had and I don't have to deal with the degenerates on Kijiji/Craigslist/eBay/etc.

Over the last five years, my smartphone progression has been BlackBerry Curve -> Blackberry Bold -> Samsung Focus -> Nokia Lumia 900. The total amount I've paid out of pocket for all them combined (not including my service charges) is $50.

kazinova

I'm riding my OG Focus into the sunset of WP7, I just hope someone other than HTC announces their WP8 lineups soon.

Also, I'm glad that WP-GAF isn't nearly as combative or delusion as the Android GAF community. I'm reading the Nexus 7 thread because I pre-ordered one as my way of having access to all the Android apps. I've seen delusional statements like: "[the Nexus 7] will create a beachhead for Android tablets" and they spend most of their time talking about the mini-iPad. It's weird.

Troll

Banned
I'm riding my OG Focus into the sunset of WP7, I just hope someone other than HTC announces their WP8 lineups soon.

Also, I'm glad that WP-GAF isn't nearly as combative or delusion as the Android GAF community. I'm reading the Nexus 7 thread because I pre-ordered one as my way of having access to all the Android apps. I've seen delusional statements like: "[the Nexus 7] will create a beachhead for Android tablets" and they spend most of their time talking about the mini-iPad. It's weird.

I like it here too, honestly I like the people who post here so much I would start a blog with them. The only thing that has held me back on it is WP8, if it is my next phone OS then I will probably get the domain and start blogging.

Commodore

The OG Focus has been a great phone. Once I found an upgradable SD card that worked with the phone, I've been very happy with it. Glad WP8 finally has upgradable storage built in. Also dying to hear about new phones. Its gotta be October before we hear about the big guns for this holiday though. Sucks. Also we're all delusional in one way or another, no matter what tech thread we throw our flag behind. At least we're defending RIM. There's always that.

Troll

Banned
The OG Focus has been a great phone. Once I found an upgradable SD card that worked with the phone, I've been very happy with it. Glad WP8 finally has upgradable storage built in. Also dying to hear about new phones. Its gotta be October before we hear about the big guns for this holiday though. Sucks. Also we're all delusional in one way or another, no matter what tech thread we throw our flag behind. At least we're defending RIM. There's always that.

Yeah, I know what it feels like to be on a sinking ship. I bought a Palm Pre back in the day, lol. I actually started with a Treo, my first nice phone. Before that I had owned various flip phone and other shit. Then from the Treo I went Pre, then that shit looked bad so I bought a droid, hated it. From there I used my brothers old iPhone and then I ended up with my OG Focus.

Fjolle

Nokia world is in September :D

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I know what it feels like to be on a sinking ship. I bought a Palm Pre back in the day, lol. I actually started with a Treo, my first nice phone. Before that I had owned various flip phone and other shit. Then from the Treo I went Pre, then that shit looked bad so I bought a droid, hated it. From there I used my brothers old iPhone and then I ended up with my OG Focus.

I'm still hoping for a Dreamcast 2 :(

:lol

Fjolle

Apparently T-Mobile Germany won't push it out til end of summer. WTF. Although I got the impression the customer service woman in their forum mixed up Tango and WP7.8

Damn... If it isn't out by wednesday i'll have to figure out how to flash it with something else.

Frost_Ace

And the battery of my lumia has turned to shit again in these days. I don't know what to do at this point. Should I call the assistance?

tomedo

Cool concept. I'm interested in hearing if it's well done in practice.

Tried it today and it works as advertised. During your run you will hear audio book style narration in which various characters speak to you and amongst themselves over radio. After the run you get to play a simple mini game where you build up your base using items you picked up during your run (this is automatic, you don't actually do anything other than run). Game also includes encyclopedia style section where you can check out descriptions of characters and items.

Id recommend that people setup a playlist before the run so there is not so much dead air during the run. Id estimate there is at most 10 minutes of audio per 30 minutes of running. I didn't do this the first time so lot of the time there was just nothing to listen to.

Zombies, Run!

PG2G

The website says it even works on a treadmill, any idea how? I assumed it'd need GPS.

I can't run outside, my poor legs :( hehe

tomedo

The website says it even works on a treadmill, any idea how? I assumed it'd need GPS.

Mayby it uses gyroscope somehow? I don't know I used it outside with gps. I have to say its cool though, I will definitely listen all the missions.

I can't run outside, my poor legs :( hehe

It must rely on the phone's own gyroscope and/or accelerometers. They can and will detect movement even if it's just you going up and down in the same place, or just shaking.. Treadmills should be fine with them. Just remember that it's not placed inside a bag that's strapped on or hung over!

kn1ves24

Has anyone here used the Focus Flash? I am thinking about picking one of those up for cheap on ebay or something and then using my contract renewal for when WP8 releases later in the year. I'm not overly concerned about the camera and storage space, the reviews I've read seem to say its a fairly decent phone considering what it costs.

Commodore

Tried it today and it works as advertised. During your run you will hear audio book style narration in which various characters speak to you and amongst themselves over radio. After the run you get to play a simple mini game where you build up your base using items you picked up during your run (this is automatic, you don't actually do anything other than run). Game also includes encyclopedia style section where you can check out descriptions of characters and items.

Id recommend that people setup a playlist before the run so there is not so much dead air during the run. Id estimate there is at most 10 minutes of audio per 30 minutes of running. I didn't do this the first time so lot of the time there was just nothing to listen to.

Zombies, Run!

Can you play playlists within the app?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Has anyone here used the Focus Flash? I am thinking about picking one of those up for cheap on ebay or something and then using my contract renewal for when WP8 releases later in the year. I'm not overly concerned about the camera and storage space, the reviews I've read seem to say its a fairly decent phone considering what it costs.
It should be fine. Since MS put so many locks in place all windows phone 7 phones should work great untill WP8 comes out.

It's a good phone if you can get it for cheap.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Yeah It's solid if you can get it without throwing down too much cash. It's a 2nd gen phone, and even 1st gens have solid performance in WP7. So it'll work more than work fine for the platform.

kn1ves24

Thanks guys, I think I'll try grabbing a Flash then. I know performance is pretty much the same across all the WP7 phones I was wondering more about call/build quality.

Black-Box

Zombies, Run!

this sounds soo cool, but my headphone jack is broken. I almost want to pay for a fix just to use it

Troll

Banned
Skulls of the Shogun might be the next game I buy on WP. Since it has WP VS Xbox VS PC online. And that's awesome.

Commodore

Good. Think I'm gonna try it out.

Gave Zombies, Run! a shot today, took my dog out for a run, not knowing what to expect, how long the narration was going to last. Pretty cool little idea in practice actually. It kicks off with a short narration, sets up a task, something for you to pick up etc. And then if you've selected a playlist to play, it jumps to that. I'd imagine its just dead air if you don't select any music to play. Once you've ran for a bit, another narration bit will pop on, and give you another task, and then another bout of music will play, and it'll do this for either a half an hour or an hour based on the setting you pick. I didn't know the timing when I tried it, so I ended up running till it ended, next time I'll plan for a half an hour run. Once you get back, you can drag and drop your supplies you picked up into a little encampment graphic and level up different sections depending on what type of supplies you picked up (i.e. bandages go to the medic tent, tinned can food go to the food storage section, a least that's where I'm assuming they'd go, not sure what leveling up different sections gives you yet though) Kind of a cool method of augmenting exercise. I was really into Nike+ when I had my iPhone, I dig the gamification of exercise that's been going on, and so this is a welcome experience for me.

e: Added thought, concerning the quality of the narration/story, its not bad. There were a few twists, characters were introduced, you figured out your place, then posed each task as you seemed to accomplish them, with added motivation as things got hairy, its an interesting take on trying to push you to keep going, or to push yourself a little more. I just like the idea of playing at exercise, instead of drudging through it.

I am going to give Zombie Run a try this week. Unfortunately I am out of that $25.00 gift card I got from Microsoft … $7.00 is a bit high for a phone app.

Hi, this is Cuteness Overload chiming in! I've noticed that while browsing the mobile version of NeoGAF on an Android handset running 4.0, the rendering quality seems to not be up to snuff compared to Windows Phone, given the exact same screen resolution. Borders that aren't scaled up by exact multiples, anyone? I guess IE does render border at higher than 1 pixel precision. I got uneven sides on Android, while I got butter in WP.
The more I use WP, the more I get accustomed to the platform differences between Android and WP.

PG2G

http://www.neowin.net/news/intervie...s-on-windows-phone-8-verizon-and-so-much-more

Kerris believes that Nokia will innovate its way out of its current situation and that change will continue this Fall with new products. And in the biggest sign of encouragement, Kerris states that this Spring "people will be climbing over themselves" to get at the new Nokia products.

WTF Nokia, I'm not waiting until Spring. I'm buying at the launch of WP8 and not a day later. Hopefully that is just reference to a PureView Lumia.

He also believes that carriers will put together attractive options for updating your device to a Windows Phone 8 product, what these packages could look like, or will be, we do not have any information on that.

That'd be nice, perhaps WP 7.X owners will get early upgrades or discounts.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
http://www.neowin.net/news/intervie...s-on-windows-phone-8-verizon-and-so-much-more

WTF Nokia, I'm not waiting until Spring. I'm buying at the launch of WP8 and not a day later. Hopefully that is just reference to a PureView Lumia.

Hate on me, but for some reason I just saw this coming. I still could be proven wrong, but everything just pointed to having to wait till 2013 for a Nokia phone. That means at launch you're probably stuck with whatever spin Samsung does on the GS3 for WP8. Plus maybe a One line WP8 device from HTC.

JonnyBoy84

Neo Member
Hate on me, but for some reason I just saw this coming. I still could be proven wrong, but everything just pointed to having to wait till 2013 for a Nokia phone. That means at launch you're probably stuck with whatever spin Samsung does on the GS3 for WP8. Plus maybe a One line WP8 device from HTC.

Ideally I want a Nokia one. Guess one should be out when my contract comes up for renewal tho. Hopefully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom