• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Heh. Plan to upgrade my phone this fall, pass it on to the wife, and then upgrade again in the Spring. Win-win for me. :D

My wife and I swapped upgrades, which is a huge headache every time we go in for an upgrade and have to explain it to AT&T. My phone is STILL screwed up from the visual voicemail upgrade for my wife's Lumia. So, ideally, I'd buy a phone off contract this fall and give her the upgrade next Spring. If there are only Gs3 and OneX clones this fall, though, I'd probably just pass and use the upgrade in the Spring. Although in that scenario, I'd try to work out the Lumia upgrade scheme I posted before for anton.

Fjolle

What do you guys expect Nokia world to be about, if not announcing new devices? Talk about how bad their sales have been and how they're doing nothing to fix it?

I know they're tailoring it for carriers, but i have no idea about what that means for the event...

BUT they did move it 3 weeks, which might fit into them having to have phones ready for WP8 launch.

NeOak

What do you guys expect Nokia world to be about, if not announcing new devices? Talk about how bad their sales have been and how they're doing nothing to fix it?

I know they're tailoring it for carriers, but i have no idea about what that means for the event...

BUT they did move it 3 weeks, which might fit into them having to have phones ready for WP8 launch.

I hope they announce a WP8 phone with hardware keyboard.

hwalker84

All I know is it better be good since it starts on my birthday.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If Nokia launches a month or too late that's fine with me. It's going to cost me a bit to get out of my contract so the longer takes Nokia the more money I will save.

JaggedSac

There IS a trial for Zombies Run. It has one mission in it.

Also, dammit, my plan was to buy a phone this fall. I don't want to wait until Spring. :/

Very odd. I only have the option to buy. Did you get the trial through the phone marketplace or the web one? Are you in the US?

JaggedSac

Sorry guys, I'm a twat. Apparently I have already downloaded the trial, possibly during a period of intoxication, and apparently it is not considered a game, so it did not appear in the games list of apps.

thirty

Banned

that means that they'll re-release the 900 as the 910 for verizon, re-release the 710 as the 720 for sprint, and release "new" phones for t-mo and att.

So does the Pictures hub only see one folder level down for Skydrive? My Skydrive pictures folder is arranged into sub folders. Is there any way to change this?

Commodore

Sorry guys, I'm a twat. Apparently I have already downloaded the trial, possibly during a period of intoxication, and apparently it is not considered a game, so it did not appear in the games list of apps.

I had the inverse of that happen to me. Was trying to quickly find a trivia app, and found one, downloaded it, and proceeded to look up and down the app list for it (this was pre mango). I went back to the marketplace, saw I had definitely downloaded it, and still back to the app list, nothing. It wasn't till the next day I opened up the games hub that I finally saw where it had downloaded to.

ana

Yup...

Here's one guys pics with it:
http://lassikujala.1g.fi/kuvat/Muut/N808/

for example it seems to be pretty good at birding:
http://lassikujala.1g.fi/kuvat/Muut/N808/2012-06-25-2859+Kalatiira.jpg
http://lassikujala.1g.fi/kuvat/Muut/N808/2012-06-21-1925.jpg

It's also amazing concert video camera because of it's sound recording..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PrOP6ZXJjg&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oue6G4a_xCc&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

But it will take a while before it's on windows phone.. :(
Hell I can't even get the N808 from shops around here because it's out of stock everywhere.. :-/

Blackhead

Redarse
But it will take a while before it's on windows phone.. :(
Hell I can't even get the N808 from shops around here because it's out of stock everywhere.. :-/
I've got my fingers crossed that the full 41MP pureview will be out on WP8 this year. The previous estimate was a year away but that was before WP8 with its multicore support was revealed.

The N808 is priced to high at $700 in USA (actually cheaper in India and Europe); the same amount could fetch a Sony NEX 5N with lens. And the resale value would plummet the minute Nokia announces the first WP8 with pureview... I still want one now :?

Nokia said you guys don't have to wait that long for a PureView phone.

Nokia has fantastic imaging technology and the PureView is the staple of that. Kerris was quick to point out that Nokia has previously said that the PureView technology would be coming to Lumia devices and he iterated that it would happen "very soon".

"you guys". So you left us for good? :-(

Already happened last week:

GDKI4.jpg

The "Android" is probably one of the ugliest mascots I've ever seen

But seriously, with "you guys" I meant the people who are waiting for a PureView phone. I'm not waiting for one, I don't really want one. The camera is sexy, but I have no interest in a Quasimodo phone.

Milchjon

Already happened last week:

GDKI4.jpg

The "Android" is probably one of the ugliest mascots I've ever seen

But seriously, with "you guys" I meant the people who are waiting for a PureView phone. I'm not waiting for one, I don't really want one.

I knew you hopped on the droid wagon, I just always assumed you'd be back.

Commodore

Commodore

But seriously, with "you guys" I meant the people who are waiting for a PureView phone. I'm not waiting for one, I don't really want one. The camera is sexy, but I have no interest in a Quasimodo phone.

Do you think the first PureView WP8 phone we'll see will have that godawful bulge on the back end like the 808? Kind of assumed they'd work on getting that sensor in shape.

Milchjon

Do you think the first PureView WP8 phone we'll see will have that godawful bulge on the back end like the 808? Kind of assumed they'd work on getting that sensor in shape.

I don't really get the construction of the whole thing. It seems like some of the heft is added by a separate chip for image processing in the bulge? Will that always be necessary with the power of future hardware?

I'm pretty sure the bulge will be there. Maybe not as bad as with the 808, but it will be there. The sensor and camera module is just massive.

7vcFI.jpg

KGUJG.jpg

But butter? Not the latest Android SW version?

Jelly Bean isn't out yet and I don't really have interest in flashing beta ROM after beta ROM. I've satisfied my inner 10 y/o with that back in the Windows Mobile days and I think I'm over that now. ICS isn't that bad in terms of UI performance, but the occasional stutter and bad scrolling/animation is still there and after two years of WP it's a big jarring.

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't really get the construction of the whole thing. It seems like some of the heft is added by a separate chip for image processing in the bulge? Will that always be necessary with the power of future hardware?

Some of Android phones (iirc one or two by HTC) also have a dedicated chip for image processing and are still thin. I personally have no issues with the bulge, it's a worthy compromise for that image quality—besides it's still smaller than many 'real' cameras. The N808 is ~1mm thicker than the iPhone 3GS... also slightly longer too but actually not as wide. Nokia could make it longer and wider, like say the Galaxy Nexus, and cut down on the thickness on every side except the sensor bulge.

Milchjon

Toss up for me between a 41MP Pureview WP8 device and a Samung Focus OneNote device.
Or buy both :|

I'm sure Nokia will offer bigger displays eventually, if that's what you're getting at. A PureView phone would be predisposed for it, really.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm sure Nokia will offer bigger displays eventually, if that's what you're getting at. A PureView phone would be predisposed for it, really.

Oh, I got the Note for the S-Pen function not the screen size. The large screen is just a means to an end i.e bigger pads are better for writing on. A 4" Lumia Pureview would be fine for my needs. Everybody is just going to sync the pics & vids to a tablet or computer anyway (until projectors are standard on smartphones).

tino

Banned
Some of Android phones (iirc one or two by HTC) also have a dedicated chip for image processing and are still thin. I personally have no issues with the bulge, it's a worthy compromise for that image quality—besides it's still smaller than many 'real' cameras. The N808 is ~1mm thicker than the iPhone 3GS... also slightly longer too but actually not as wide. Nokia could make it longer and wider, like say the Galaxy Nexus, and cut down on the thickness on every side except the sensor bulge.

You can't avoid the thickness. The massy sensor require a very large optic.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Nokia said you guys don't have to wait that long for a PureView phone.

In that interview, Kerris also dropped other bombs, like the fact that they're working on software that changes homescreens and tile arrangements based on location (home or work for example), bendable screens, and a phone that detects hand size and locks email and engages parental locks etc. when a child holds the phone.

Those things sound fantastic, not sure why he would leak those considering some of those are software that google can start their copiers on.

Blackhead

Redarse
In that interview, Kerris also dropped other bombs, like the fact that they're working on software that changes homescreens and tile arrangements based on location (home or work for example), bendable screens, and a phone that defects hand size and locks email and engages parental locks etc. when a child holds the phone.

Those things sound fantastic, not sure why he would leak those considering some of those are software that google can start their copiers on.

They've already shown the bendable screens (pretty cool). Nokia get enthusiastic about their futuristic stuff and like to inspire the tech nerds I guess. So long as it eventually makes it to market...

Fjolle

In that interview, Kerris also dropped other bombs, like the fact that they're working on software that changes homescreens and tile arrangements based on location (home or work for example), bendable screens, and a phone that defects hand size and locks email and engages parental locks etc. when a child holds the phone.

They are probably starting their transformation into patent troll, leaking stuff that they have patents on :)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Nokia get enthusiastic about their futuristic stuff and like to inspire the tech nerds I guess. So long as it eventually makes it to market...

Kerris talked about molding the screen to create alternate shapes for devices. The homescreen concept is pretty cool too, it can switch out your email live tiles from work to personal emails when you get home. It would be cool to have, say, your boss and co-workers group pinned to start, then have that changed to your wife and family when you drive home. Automatically. I know there are apps on android and some basic capabilities on ios, but if Nokia can extend that location awareness stuff to live tiles and home screen configurations, it'll be pretty neat and above what the competitors offer right now. They have to execute and push these things out quickly though, cause Google and apple move quickly.

Doffen

I seriously do not mind a thicker phone, but the design needs to be smoother than the 808.

hwalker84

EYr0p.jpg

Nokia just announce a pink Lumia 900. So there's that.

My girl would kill for this on TMobile.

Question: My Fiance currently is using my backup Samsung Focus on TMobile (so she only has Edge data speed) I found a Nokia 710 on Craigslist for $150 do you think it's worth it? Also the Focus was my only backup phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I was going to say better late than never, but no, they took far too damn long with this.

Yep, they should have had this out for mothers day, or at the very least before the announcement that wp8 won't be coming to current phones.

Outside of the Colonies, yeah.

I thought only the 800 had magenta? I dont think they've released this phone anywhere, have they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom