• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
IE9 was never an issue for me. Every site I visited worked well. Speed difference in rendering is obviously there, but it never really bothered me to begin with. It doesn't matter to me if I have to wait 5 seconds or 8 seconds for the browser to load GAF (lol). But what do I know, I don't like Chrome and use Dolphin, because I like the UI much more (just like on my iPad).

Also, you got a phone with Sense, you opinion isn't valid anyway.

IE9 is better than IE8 in this regard, but IE9 still has it share of weird site design handling in terms of rendering. Plus actual browsing is just more responsive on pic/gif/vid ton of crazy CSS/html5 sites. So it's more than just load speed. Plus I love syncing settings between my phone, chromebook, windows, and ubuntu.

Plus it's nice to have browser options unlike WP and iOS. You don't like chrome, but easily found something you like. Heck I have Chrome, Firefox, and Opera as viable options.

What do you know though. You hate my HTC device, but I'm not the one with lame pentile matrix super amoled display. ;)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Plus it's nice to have browser options unlike WP and iOS

Spoken like a true Android convert. That's been their battle cry for, like, forever now. And I TOTALLY get it. But a ton of options is not what everyone needs. It's just not.

I've noticed that given (almost) equivalent hardware, on their latest OS versions, IE9 is actually more efficient, given when you have only a single core.

Chrome does have a speed advantage when it's running on a dual core or better, though. Until IE10 rolls around.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, you can't discount how much better the dual core S4 is on bret's phone than on his previous phone (it was an S1). Not only that, but even if he's not using LTE, he would be on HSPA+, whereas the original focus was not, so its going to be better network speeds, WAY better chipset, and a better rendering engine on Chrome vs. IE9. I'm not surprised that he would notice a HUGE difference in browser speeds.

IE10 on an S4 and with hardware acceleration will definitely make the playing field more level, though.

Come to think of it, speaking of efficiency...

Pretty crazy to think that Windows Phone could run so well on underpowered 800 MHz processors.

Now, speaking of processors, I wonder how fast IE10 will be on a quad-core Snapdragon...

Vanillalite

Spoken like a true Android convert. That's been their battle cry for, like, forever now. And I TOTALLY get it. But a ton of options is not what everyone needs. It's just not.

I agree, but you have to have a great one choice. Safari on iOS is this. IMO IE isn't, but I've never been an IE fan even in the 90s. I think part of the issue is the mobile browser doesn't get correctly flagged on a lot of sites. Partly web devs are to blame, but low market penetration meant a lot of people just didn't bother sadly. :(

I agree, but you have to have a great one choice. Safari on iOS is this. IMO IE isn't, but I've never been an IE fan even in the 90s. I think part of the issue is the mobile browser doesn't get correctly flagged on a lot of sites. Partly web devs are to blame, but low market penetration meant a lot of people just didn't bother sadly. :(

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; <DeviceManufacturer>; <DeviceModel>)

If the user agent check is any good, it should have picked up the "phone" and/or "mobile" strings. There's no excuse.

Most sites are well-behaved when it comes to mobile site switching, though.

Vanillalite

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; <DeviceManufacturer>; <DeviceModel>)

If the user agent check is any good, it should have picked up the "phone" and/or "mobile" strings. There's no excuse.

Most sites are well-behaved when it comes to mobile site switching, though.

Sadly wp users have had to put up with lame excuses since the platform released despite being a really solid OS. :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I've experienced rendering issues on my ipad, on my Nexus One, and on my Windows Phone. They ARE more prevalent on WP, but its not been a big issue for me. Of course, that all depends on the sites you visit, and if it affects a lot of the sites you regularly visit, and they render properly on other devices, then that's really all that matters. Nobody can discount that as not relevant, since we all use our phones differently.

For me, IE9 is not a problem, and on the problem sites, I usually just render the desktop version. Its an area that MS needs to improve, especially given how rapidly Google and Apple are iterating on their browsers. The fear is that we'll get IE10 at launch and it will remain stagnant like IE9 on Windows Phone, which was billed as modular and yet was never updated. Let's see what happens.

And there are people who, to this day, insist Nokia should have stuck with Symbian and Meego.

They already saw that coming. Or should have. Their stock started falling way before anything WP and Nokia happened. 2010, I think? At that point, Symbian just couldn't compete with the new kids in the block.

They do still make great hardware. It's the software that's the big problem on their Symbian phones. It's like an armoured dinosaur.

Tomcat

And there are people who, to this day, insist Nokia should have stuck with Symbian and Meego.

i am using a pureview 808 and the situtation in the marketplace is even worse now with belle
many apps are missing because they are not compatible with belle. And lets not talk about new apps. even skype i had to download it through an external link

The camera though and its UI are AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
can you live stream events, no? useless.

It's temporary. NBA-gaf inside joke for the offseason.

Besides, wtf is your avatar.

meh i got tired of my other one, and i am temp using this "kwaii" avatar until i can find a decent one.
No one wants to make apps for Lumias, so they had to build it in? Wow.

e: And damn, do I miss Bing Music.
that reminds me, at least for windows phone you have ZUNE (which is awesome) to sync all your music. what do you use for android?? i have almost 30 gigs of music and don't want to install another program that might fuck with my library.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't care about live streaming, I will watch it on my big tv at home. I like it for the schedule, standings and athlete profiles.

Vanillalite

can you live stream events, no? useless.

meh i got tired of my other one, and i am temp using this "kwaii" avatar until i can find a decent one.

that reminds me, at least for windows phone you have ZUNE (which is awesome) to sync all your music. what do you use for android?? i have almost 30 gigs of music and don't want to install another program that might fuck with my library.

GMusic. I just am not syncing my whole library. I only have a 16 gig phone anyways.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I have all my music on amazon and google music and no good client. So I just roll with playlists, and I use zune pass if I miss anything while on the go.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't know, there is a google music app called gooroovster, but it stopped working once I uploaded a bunch of songs. Also, the Amazon cloud player used to work on the browser, but that's no longer the case.

Edit: nevermind, gooroovster is working after a fresh install. I don't know of any Amazon cloud player app though, so that's an opportunity.

kn1ves24

I have an rdio account. I think its very similar to spotify. I believe they have an app on every major OS. It will try to match your account to say an itunes collection. You can then sync playlists, albums, or just individual songs to your mobile device over wifi or 3G. I sync using wifi at home. You can of course stream everything if want, and not cache anything on the device.

I demand that your next avatar will also be Tsumiki!

Google Play Music is a pretty decent basic music player and it's the one that works with the cloud. I prefer to use PowerAmp for the music on my phone, it has it's own audio playback engine which bypasses the native Android framework, a quality and flexible equalizer, advanced playlist support, and a great lockscreen replacement overlay. I keep about 18GB of music on my Galaxy Nexus, but I doubt that PowerAmp will have any issues with 30GB if it can handle 18GB.

tino

Banned
Did you guys see this?
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/12/nielsen-has-android-near-52-percent-of-us-smartphone-share-in-q2/

Is this the first time a marketshare report separate the Windows Mobile and the Windows Phone 7 market share?

nielsen-smartphone-share-q2-2012.jpg

The area is not to the scale by the way.

Marche90

Hey, guys, can you give me advice on something?

You see, I'm thinking about buying my dad a Lumia 610 (don't have the money for anything more expensive, but he isn't a power user, so it's fine), since his current phone, a Nokia C6-01 is awful for him. I always hear him complaining about the virtual keyboard since the phone is too small for his hands (3.2 in), plus, the UI is also small for his eyes.

Now my question. Do you think that the keyboard on the 610 is big enough? Mostly I want to hear it from people who has big hands, and tell me your experiences (I think that is fine if you use another phone from the Lumia line, since the screen size is the same). I'm not worried about the font size, since I've already gotten an idea of how big it is, and I think that it is enough for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom