• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm such a fucking dumbass.

image.php

It's all good man. You can get a Cyan for slightly more, or even for that amount if you wait around.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting it in a month or so; hopefully I can find a $230 Cyan one by then.

Sordid

Had my Lumia 800 for a few weeks now and everything was awesome until the last 2 charges where the battery lasted about 8 hours each time on idle :/ am I boned? I've checked and there were no background tasks running either time, wifi is off and I have a full 3G signal.

Before this it was lasting well over 24 hours with moderate usage (probably even longer than my Omnia used to).

Frost_Ace

Had my Lumia 800 for a few weeks now and everything was awesome until the last 2 charges where the battery lasted about 8 hours each time on idle :/ am I boned? I've checked and there were no background tasks running either time, wifi is off and I have a full 3G signal.

Before this it was lasting well over 24 hours with moderate usage (probably even longer than my Omnia used to).

Did you update the phone this week? I have to restore the phone to factory settings everytime I update otherwhise the battery gets shitty.

kn1ves24

So I finally got my Focus Flash. I'm really liking it so far. As others have said its nothing real fancy but its running really smooth and I like the form factor (I don't care for giant screens).

So now that I have it, are there any real "must have" apps on the marketplace?

So I finally got my Focus Flash. I'm really liking it so far. As others have said its nothing real fancy but its running really smooth and I like the form factor (I don't care for giant screens).

you should check out windowsphone.com for the web marketplace and all the other functions like finding or locking your phone, just as general advice.

then: there are loads of cool games on the marketplace. check out Wordament and Taptitude, both are really fun and addictive

Sordid

Did you update the phone this week? I have to restore the phone to factory settings everytime I update otherwhise the battery gets shitty.

I updated to Tango using the cab method and factory reset it afterwards. I heard about the battery issues so I thought I'd be okay after that (and I was until last night!). I'll charge it up again and give it a go.

Will Nokia replace the battery if it's faulty? I know you get a 24 month warranty in the UK but I did buy it used :(

Commodore

Baconit for reddit. Twabbit/Mehdoh/Carbon for twitter. Weave for News. Blueprints for tumblr. IMDb for Movies. Metrotube for youtube. WeatherFlow for weather. Games: Wordament. ilomilo. Tentacles. Rainbow Rapture. Recently I've been having a bit of fun playing Age of Sorcery (city builder/PVP)

edit: oh random tip, use the Me tile and people tile for facebook viewing/notifications. Screw using battery for every given type of app that notify you or toast an update when the people hub, and Me tile do it already. Plus its crazy easy to post a status update/tweet from the Me tile versus opening up the Facebook app and twitter app separately.

kn1ves24

Baconit for reddit. Twabbit/Mehdoh/Carbon for twitter. Weave for News. Blueprints for tumblr. IMDb for Movies. Metrotube for youtube. WeatherFlow for weather. Games: Wordament. ilomilo. Tentacles. Rainbow Rapture. Recently I've been having a bit of fun playing Age of Sorcery (city builder/PVP)

edit: oh random tip, use the Me tile and people tile for facebook viewing/notifications. Screw using battery for every given type of app that notify you or toast an update when the people hub, and Me tile do it already. Plus its crazy easy to post a status update/tweet from the Me tile versus opening up the Facebook app and twitter app separately.

Yeah, the Me tile is sweet for that. I'm really digging all the integration. It ties everything in pretty nicely. I guess that could be good and bad.

I already grabbed metrotube, I'll check out some of those other games.

Also just a shot in the dark here, but does anybody here use the Plex app on WP? I seem to be having some strange issues with it. I don't want to go into detail unless somebody has used it.

thanks for all the suggestions

frontieruk

This is basically my exact reasoning as well. Though the 710 could be better than the Titan I and Focus S if you want a smaller phone. It also has a way better PPI for obvious reasons.

except the camera on the 710 is naff, more awkward to use than the one on the HD7, and you will need to switch off the light sensor as its so sensitive you can see the screen change brightness just by touching it to scroll, oh and call quality is ass even compared to the titan with its reception issues.

kharma45

For Twitter don't discount the official app, it's pretty fantastic now after the most recent update.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I just last night realized I can press the mic button in the text app instead of holding the windows key down for voice recognition.

Derp.

My HD7 just died :(
Boots up but when ever I try to open any app it freezes and then I have to take the battery out to reboot it. That's all it does. gonna attempt a restore.

I have a Samsung Focus S on ATT with Tango and I received a notification on Friday about setting up visual voicemail...and it works!

Anyone else randomly get the visual voicemail prompt?

kn1ves24

Are the updates always slow for WP? Like I just setup the Zune software on my PC and it notified me of updates for the phone. So I let it install them, its on update 4 now. each one seems to be taking a solid 15 minutes to complete. It also states that the updates are cumulative so I don't understand why it doesn't just install the latest one instead of going thru each individually.

hwalker84

Are the updates always slow for WP? Like I just setup the Zune software on my PC and it notified me of updates for the phone. So I let it install them, its on update 4 now. each one seems to be taking a solid 15 minutes to complete. It also states that the updates are cumulative so I don't understand why it doesn't just install the latest one instead of going thru each individually.
The minor ones are cumulative.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I have a Samsung Focus S on ATT with Tango and I received a notification on Friday about setting up visual voicemail...and it works!

Anyone else randomly get the visual voicemail prompt?

I got the visual voicemail prompt, and it wouldn't work. Called at&t, they refused to give me visual voicemail, so I had to reset the phone and lose all my data. :|

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The gleek twitter app is available for free limited time, it was $2.99 before I think. I gave it a try and it seems pretty good, might use this over mehdoh.

The gleek twitter app is available for free limited time, it was $2.99 before I think. I gave it a try and it seems pretty good, might use this over mehdoh.

I've used it for some time and I think it is ok. fetching tweets is faster than most twitter apps on WP but not that fast. It has some fun features like going through chains of followers and presenting you tweets etc. Overall worth a try

ElNino

Is Weave still under development? Because it says Google reader import is coming with Mango, lol.
Yes, the developer posts somewhat regularly on Twitter and he recently posted screenshots of the new version in development. They also made some server side changes recently that improved the in-app full article viewing.

I'm not sure why Google reader support was not implemented, or if they ever intend to add it, but since using Weave I've stopped using Google Reader almost entirely so it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone have a problem with bluetooth car kits? I've started listening to podcasts in the car, and play them over bluetooth audio.

But if I pause the podcast, next time I get into the car and turn the engine on, the podcast starts playing again automatically. So I pause it again. When I stop the engine and get out, the podcast starts playing again - on loudspeaker as the bluetooth isn't connected any more.

I'm currently listening to the (very NSFW) Richard Herring podcasts, so last time I got out of my car with my kids, i'm subjected to a torrent of f-words while I scramble for the pause button.

derFeef

Yes, the developer posts somewhat regularly on Twitter and he recently posted screenshots of the new version in development. They also made some server side changes recently that improved the in-app full article viewing.

I'm not sure why Google reader support was not implemented, or if they ever intend to add it, but since using Weave I've stopped using Google Reader almost entirely so it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

The app seems really nice, but I have all my news stuff in google reader, because I can read in anywhere, no matter what system/device.
Looking forward to new versions!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Anyone have a problem with bluetooth car kits? I've started listening to podcasts in the car, and play them over bluetooth audio.

But if I pause the podcast, next time I get into the car and turn the engine on, the podcast starts playing again automatically. So I pause it again. When I stop the engine and get out, the podcast starts playing again - on loudspeaker as the bluetooth isn't connected any more.

I've experienced the issue where it plays through the phone's speakers when I turn the car off, but it doesn't happen every time, so I haven't nailed down what causes it. I've never had it automatically start playing through the Bluetooth unless I was already playing it when I turned on the car. I haven't had issues when I use my wife's car, which has Ford Sync, only when I use my car, which has a Bluetooth receiver I bought on amazon.

derFeef

Welp, Zune trick finally worked for Tango update.
But I just realized I need to do that 3 times now because of the cumulative update process...

I have so much faith in Sprint that I'm expecting them to release the Lumia 900 in the fall as their premiere device when WP8 is released.

:/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom