• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

strata8

Hey, guys, can you give me advice on something?

You see, I'm thinking about buying my dad a Lumia 610 (don't have the money for anything more expensive, but he isn't a power user, so it's fine), since his current phone, a Nokia C6-01 is awful for him. I always hear him complaining about the virtual keyboard since the phone is too small for his hands (3.2 in), plus, the UI is also small for his eyes.

Now my question. Do you think that the keyboard on the 610 is big enough? Mostly I want to hear it from people who has big hands, and tell me your experiences (I think that is fine if you use another phone from the Lumia line, since the screen size is the same). I'm not worried about the font size, since I've already gotten an idea of how big it is, and I think that it is enough for him.

I can't say anything about the keyboard, but there's really no reason to get a Lumia 610, as the Lumia 710 is only slightly more expensive at $250. For about $50 more you can get the 4.7" original HTC Titan, so that might be something worth looking at too.

Milchjon

Hey, guys, can you give me advice on something?

You see, I'm thinking about buying my dad a Lumia 610 (don't have the money for anything more expensive, but he isn't a power user, so it's fine), since his current phone, a Nokia C6-01 is awful for him. I always hear him complaining about the virtual keyboard since the phone is too small for his hands (3.2 in), plus, the UI is also small for his eyes.

Now my question. Do you think that the keyboard on the 610 is big enough? Mostly I want to hear it from people who has big hands, and tell me your experiences (I think that is fine if you use another phone from the Lumia line, since the screen size is the same). I'm not worried about the font size, since I've already gotten an idea of how big it is, and I think that it is enough for him.

The keyboard isn't all that big, but it's the same with any other OS at the moment I'd say. Only way to deal with it is getting a bigger phone or one with a hardware keyboard.

Font size could be a problem though. My dad bought a Lumia 800 and it's one of his biggest complaints. In the contacts, the OS uses a smaller font size for information like phone numbers, mail address and all that stuff. You should take a look at that before you decide.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You can do that in DOTA2 as well, but that's definitely F2P.

So what's the difference between f2p and free? One pushes dlc on you harder than the other or encourages dlc more than a paid title?

Edit: is the original Titan cheap now? That may help with needing a bigger keyboard.

Marche90

I can't say anything about the keyboard, but there's really no reason to get a Lumia 610, as the Lumia 710 is only slightly more expensive at $250. For about $50 more you can get the 4.7" original HTC Titan, so that might be something worth looking at too.

Thing is, I don't live in the US, so the same prices don't apply (and the Titan isn't available here, but for that size it might be worth to try searching around for it on the 'net)

The current prices here in MX for those phones are are $262 USD for the 610 and $322 for the 710...
Hey, the price difference is more or less the same. Geez, I guess I'm gonna try to get the extra cash.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Posted this in the Android thread, but I'll post here as well.

After the first week of my phone I can say put me in the Verge camp. The One X is by far the best mobile phone screen I've ever seen. By far. Not even close.

I'd highly recommend looking into an HTC WP8 device based on the One X hardware purely based on the screen. It's that good.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Only if they put in removable storage, my 16gb feels like a fridge already.

even if they did that, I'm almost certainly buying a Nokia phone, sorry Samsung and HTC

dream

Did you guys see this?
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/12/nielsen-has-android-near-52-percent-of-us-smartphone-share-in-q2/

Is this the first time a marketshare report separate the Windows Mobile and the Windows Phone 7 market share?

nielsen-smartphone-share-q2-2012.jpg

The area is not to the scale by the way.

Wow. That's amazing. More people are using Windows Mobile (and if we're generous and pretend they're all WM 6.5 phones, that's still a ~3 year old device) than using Windows Phone 7? How is that even possible?

edit: just saw that Horace Dediu ran the numbers and determined that there are only 330,000 Lumias in use in the US. That's grim.

Vanillalite

Only if they put in removable storage, my 16gb feels like a fridge already.

even if they did that, I'm almost certainly buying a Nokia phone, sorry Samsung and HTC

Pureview is awesome, but you'd use the screen all the time. I'm telling you I haven't seen a screen come close to this.

PG2G

I don't think we're going to need to choose between good screen and PureView. I'm sure that Nokia's 720p screens will be good enough

I don't think we're going to need to choose between good screen and PureView. I'm sure that Nokia's 720p screens will be good enough

Just have to hope that OLED tech has gone good enough to not end up with yet another PenTile screen again. I had a look at a Lumia 800 yesterday, and it looked just as disasterous as my old phone. No, two subpixels won't cut it for any screen.

Wow. That's amazing. More people are using Windows Mobile (and if we're generous and pretend they're all WM 6.5 phones, that's still a ~3 year old device) than using Windows Phone 7? How is that even possible?

edit: just saw that Horace Dediu ran the numbers and determined that there are only 330,000 Lumias in use in the US. That's grim.

It's not hard to imagine why MS was so anxious to drop the guillotine on WP7 the moment they were ready to launch WP8.

hwalker84

Absolutely no way that number is true.

maeh2k

Nokia support page says the tango update should be available to my carrier now, but Zune says nope... any ideas?

Just give it some time. The rollout is probably gradual even on one carrier. It's not like Tango adds any must-have features, anyway.

Nokia support page says the tango update should be available to my carrier now, but Zune says nope... any ideas?

You can try the disconnect trick, disconnect your internet just before the message pops up that no updates are found. Try it a few times until it says an update has been found. worked for me

hwalker84

You can try the disconnect trick, disconnect your internet just before the message pops up that no updates are found. Try it a few times until it says an update has been found. worked for me

Did a firmware update follow? I manually updated to Tango with the Cab's but the marketplace symbol didn't change to the Nokia symbol.

derFeef

Tried it last week, never worked. I will give it a shot again but I guess it does not change.

Vanillalite

More like Titan II > Titan > Focus S > Focus Flash

Eh the Focus S is slightly smaller than the Titan so you aren't blowing up the resolution to even crazier screen sizes. Hardware wise they are very similar though. I mean the S isn't a small phone either, but I feel like the Titan really blows up the 800 x 480 res on somethings.

Titan II beats them both because it's LTE enabled with supposedly the best non nokia camera.

Hmm, so should I get the Lumia 900?

BTW what are you actually trying to do? Get a used phone or a phone off contract?

If you're getting a phone on contract. Don't. Just stop now.

Used the Lumia devices are still rather expensive comparatively. I'd say get a Titan II instead if you can, but the problem there is finding one. Nobody really bought the Titan II cause it launched when the Lumia 900 hit.

Things bring me to saying just get the cheaper of the Titan I and the Focus S in terms of how you are going about buying a used product. Just get whichever you can find cheaper. If it's really just a hold over phone though you'd probably honestly be fine for like the next 3-6 months on a Flash.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

No way the Titan is better, I think that's been settled. The Titan has the better camera, the Focus S has the better screen, form factor, call reception, wifi connectivity, and data speeds (some weird thing with AT&T throttling the Titan more than some other HSPA+ devices).

Right now, its Lumia 900>Titan II>Focus S>Titan>Lumia 710>Focus Flash

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
BTW what are you actually trying to do? Get a used phone or a phone off contract?

If you're getting a phone on contract. Don't. Just stop now.

Used the Lumia devices are still rather expensive comparatively. I'd say get a Titan II instead if you can, but the problem there is finding one. Nobody really bought the Titan II cause it launched when the Lumia 900 hit.

Things bring me to saying just get the cheaper of the Titan I and the Focus S in terms of how you are going about buying a used product. Just get whichever you can find cheaper. If it's really just a hold over phone though you'd probably honestly be fine for like the next 3-6 months on a Flash.

Well my contract is up this January (with AT&T; I have a Samsung Focus), and I'm considering my options. I just wanted a temporary upgrade so I'm probably gonna get a Lumia 900 off contract until I see what's coming out this fall.

Btw, since I'm out of the loop, is Apollo supposed to be out this Fall? I might just stick with Microsoft after being impressed so much by Surface.

Alright cool, any confirmed carriers until now? Since I'm also thinking about transferring to Sprint, and they don't really support WPs like ATT

AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile. Sprint still doesn't really care. They said they'd support it, but their WP7 support didn't last long either.

JaggedSac

No way the Titan is better, I think that's been settled. The Titan has the better camera, the Focus S has the better screen, form factor, call reception, wifi connectivity, and data speeds (some weird thing with AT&T throttling the Titan more than some other HSPA+ devices).

I agree with everything but form factor. The build on the Titan craps all over the Focus S. And I like the bigger screen. I don't even care much for the polycarbonate that the Lumia 800/900 have. I like my gadgets to have some industrial feel to them. One of the things I liked most about the ZuneHD. Of course this is just a personal preference.

Vanillalite

This is basically my exact reasoning as well. Though the 710 could be better than the Titan I and Focus S if you want a smaller phone. It also has a way better PPI for obvious reasons.

Vanillalite

Well my contract is up this January (with AT&T; I have a Samsung Focus), and I'm considering my options. I just wanted a temporary upgrade so I'm probably gonna get a Lumia 900 off contract until I see what's coming out this fall.

Btw, since I'm out of the loop, is Apollo supposed to be out this Fall? I might just stick with Microsoft after being impressed so much by Surface.

All of the 2011 phones basically have the exact same chipset inside ie Titan I, Focus S, and Focus Flash. So I'd just try and get the cheapest of those.

The 900 is the one phone with a step up, but it's probably going to cost you quiet a bit more than the others right now.

Consider me in Brots camp that the Focus Flash is a nice device. You probably get that one of the cheapest low out of all of these.

PS: Another option to consider is to keep your Focus, and just buy another battery. That or sell your Focus and use that money to get a Lumia 900 for the same price as the HTC and Samsung phones once you throw in the cash you got from selling your Focus. Then sell the 900 to get something else in January.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
PS: Another option to consider is to keep your Focus, and just buy another battery. That or sell your Focus and use that money to get a Lumia 900 for the same price as the HTC and Samsung phones once you throw in the cash you got from selling your Focus. Then sell the 900 to get something else in January.

Actually that sounds like a good plan.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
All of the 2011 phones basically have the exact same chipset inside ie Titan I, Focus S, and Focus Flash.

Be careful with the first part of that statement, my friend. The Verizon and Sprint phones were released in 2011, lol. Also, why do we forget the Focus 2? That's a pretty solid phone for those that don't want a big screen, plus it has LTE.

Actually that sounds like a good plan.

He's just adapting VanMardigan's patented Windows Phone 7.5 upgrade and survival guide.

Milchjon

Had something strange happen today.

I was at the library, no internet connection on the PC. Plugged my Lumia in, and the update notification popped up.

Since I just wanted to leave, I clicked "update later". When I came home and wanted to update: NO UPDATE?!?! WTF.

Can anyone explain this to me? Wasn't able to recreate it yet.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
If only the Lumia was $250 on Ebay. Seeing some insane $350s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom