• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It'll be a Lumia variant running wp8, probably called the 910 or 920. Probably similar in shape to the 900, but with the S4 and the Apollo awesomeness. The new design and pureview will probably come out on ma bell first.

Milchjon

Trying the new Office, Metro is probably the best thing MS has ever done. On the desktop it's not as great as with WP, but I can't believe what a step up it is visually over the current versions. I voluntarily spent several minutes in PowerPoint :-O

I second this, I have the lite version installed now and its pretty sweet. Probably going to buy the full version for the extra features

what are the extra features? I was trying to find the difference between the 2 versions but couldnt find it. The tile only updates daily at a exact time. Any way to have it update hourly or someting else than just daily?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
what are the extra features? I was trying to find the difference between the 2 versions but couldnt find it. The tile only updates daily at a exact time. Any way to have it update hourly or someting else than just daily?

I think the tile updating may be the big difference. Not sure what else is different.

kn1ves24

Lite version only has 1 live tile and only updates once a day at a user defined time. Those are the major differences, there might be others. Full app is 1.49

derFeef

After the Tango update my 800's network connection is really bad. Slow, laggy... :-/
Connection is good, all bars. Maybe I should not have done a factory reset, lol.

Sordid

After the Tango update my 800's network connection is really bad. Slow, laggy... :-/
Connection is good, all bars. Maybe I should not have done a factory reset, lol.

I noticed this too, data speeds are a fair bit slower than my Omnia 7 were. I updated it to Tango as soon as I received it so I'm not sure if it was better before that though.

Edit: My 800's battery is back to it's usual self. I think my old Nokia charger was the issue, as soon as I started using the charger that came with the 800 everything went back to normal.

Ordered 900 cyan 2 weeks ago through rogers corporate HQ (we have a corporate account)
Waited 2 weeks, arrived today
Just before opening the box I tell myself "watch these dumb fucks ship me the wrong color"
I open the box, they shipped the black one instead
I call and speak to a rep, she's like "So what? Whats the big deal, just use it in black. It's not an Iphone"
I'm like WTF... Retarded right?
I ship back the black 900

SO...

Now I'm calling Rogers Plus stores throughout, and they have it in stock. Great right?
NOPE! Rogers Plus stores cannot perform upgrades to our account.
OK... I'll just call a rep at Rogers HQ and ask them to ship me one from their stores? HAHA NOPE!
They cannot do that, no clear explaination as to why, just a "Nope, sorry"

OK...
Surely the REP can give me an estimated date of when they'll have it in stock? NOPE!
"Sir it can be tomorrow, or it can never be... You'll just have to call us everyday and find out"

Most useless company ever? Close I'm guessing... Right after Bell? It's experiences like this that make me actually want to accept the meetings Telus offers to gain our corporate contract.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Ordered 900 cyan 2 weeks ago through rogers corporate HQ (we have a corporate account)
Just before opening the box I tell myself "watch these dumb fucks ship me the wrong color"
I call and speak to a rep, she's like "So what? Whats the big deal, just use it in black. It's not an Iphone"

SO...

Now I'm calling Rogers Plus stores throughout, and they have it in stock. Great right?
OK... I'll just call a rep at Rogers HQ and ask them to ship me one from their stores? HAHA NOPE!

OK...
Surely the REP can give me an estimated date of when they'll have it in stock? NOPE!
"Sir it can be tomorrow, or it can never be... You'll just have to call us everyday and find out"

Most useless company ever? Close I'm guessing... Right after Bell? It's experiences like this that make me actually want to accept the meetings Telus offers to gain our corporate contract.

Thats pretty brutal. I'm hoping Telus gets a good WP8 so I can switch. Most likely Rogers will though.

ElNino

SO...

OK...

You should just go into the Rogers retail stores and check there about the upgrade. I'm 99% sure they will process it for you as this is exactly how I have done my last two upgrades (Focus and then Lumia 900).

When I talked to our corporate reps, they said the same thing that hardware upgrade can only be processed by them and not in-store. However, both times I just walked into the Rogers store and had them check my account (via your mobile number) and sure enough they say I'm eligible for upgrade. They give you the phone, have you sign your "contract renewal" and away you go.

Hey guys, the Verge launched their mobile app today. It's available for Android, iOS and Wi--

bqDBU.png

oh.

Milchjon

Uhm, so I thought the ability to edit docs was one of the selling points of WP7? How can it happen that I get an "unable to edit" compatibility error when trying to work on a doc made in Word 2010?

For once, being able to work on the go would be really useful right now, and I was hopeful it would be possible...

JaggedSac

Uhm, so I thought the ability to edit docs was one of the selling points of WP7? How can it happen that I get an "unable to edit" compatibility error when trying to work on a doc made in Word 2010?

For once, being able to work on the go would be really useful right now, and I was hopeful it would be possible...

Did you have any macros or VB? I had a similar issue.

I upgraded to a Lumia 900 and I'm having trouble accessing my Onenote notes that I created with my old Focus. All the sync instructions I'm finding online are for pre-Mango Office, or for first time sync. Any ideas/tutorials on this?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Hey guys, the Verge launched their mobile app today. It's available for Android, iOS and Wi--

bqDBU.png

oh.
i never understood the need to have a app for everything. On iOS is just use my web browser, podcast app, twitter, rss app and a few others. I really don't need 15 billion apps and i think most people are the same way. Even on Windows i mainly use chrome and office and some others.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
i never understood the need to have a app for everything. On iOS is just use my web browser, podcast app, twitter, rss app and a few others. I really don't need 15 billion apps and i think most people are the same way. Even on Windows i mainly use chrome and office and some others.

Yeah, if I gave a shit about the Verge I would just use an RSS app.

NeOak

Every time I hear "Verge" I thank God that Topolski left Engadget. It had become an Apple kool-aid provider while he was the editor in chief.

Mr_Zombie

Anyone has/had Nokia Lumia 710? Any opinions about the phone?

My dad is going to renew his contract soon and wants a (cheap) smartphone. Since it's his first smartphone, I thought about Windows Phone. I'm afraid that Android on a budget phone, with low-res 3.27" screen, isn't for him and from what I've heard, WP runs smooth as butter on any phone, and the metro interface is really user friendly.

In the price range he set for himself Orange offers him two WP phones: Lumia 610 and Lumia 710. I've read 710 that is a decent smartphone (although with cheap case), but everyone complains about its battery life time and slow browser. Are those really that terrible?

NeOak

My dad is going to renew his contract soon and wants a (cheap) smartphone. Since it's his first smartphone, I thought about Windows Phone. I'm afraid that Android on a budget phone, with low-res 3.27" screen and the lag isn't for him and from what I've heard, WP runs smooth as butter on any phone, and the metro interface is really user friendly.

In the price range he set for himself Orange offers him two WP phones: Lumia 610 and Lumia 710. I've read 710 that is a decent smartphone (although with cheap case), but everyone complains about its battery life time and slow browser. Are those really that terrible?

710 in a heartbeat. 610 is the low end Tango stuff.

The browser is same as with the others WP7 with 1Ghz CPU.

frontieruk

My dad is going to renew his contract soon and wants a (cheap) smartphone. Since it's his first smartphone, I thought about Windows Phone. I'm afraid that Android on a budget phone, with low-res 3.27" screen, isn't for him and from what I've heard, WP runs smooth as butter on any phone, and the metro interface is really user friendly.

It's a quick little handset, if he does get it, take the auto brightness off its too sensitive so makes the screen flicker as it tries to keep a light level. Battery wise it's out performed my Titan but I should bloody hope so with the screen size difference. It'll easily last a day though I've had it go three with mild use but it was a very close call I give it the benefit of the doubt.

The camera is a bit tricky to use due to the case.

But as mentioned already it's a 1ghz windows phone it performs akin to the rest, smooth and simple.

kn1ves24

Does anybody have any thoughts on the Zune unlimited music pass? I'm using the trial now and it seems pretty good. My only question is how are they with getting new songs and is the library comparable to something like spotify?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Does anybody have any thoughts on the Zune unlimited music pass? I'm using the trial now and it seems pretty good. My only question is how are they with getting new songs and is the library comparable to something like spotify?

I love it. There are new songs every Tuesday. I think most new releases come to the platform. Also with the rebranding to Xbox Music the library is supposed to grow even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom