• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone explain to me why on earth Nokia would limit their crucial, important for survival, flagship phone to one carrier?

Is it a positive relationship between the carrier and manufacturer? As in "if you make your phone exclusive to us, we'll take the financiel burden of cheap contracts." Or is it a negative one, as in "if you dont make you phome exclusive to us, we wont carry your phone at all."

How does it work and in what powerposition is Nokia?

Because they want the carrier to promote the phone. I am sure it's in exchange for being exclusive At&t would put the phone up front.

That said, the more I see the Eight-X, the more I am leaning toward getting that phone...

UraMallas

no details yet. how long would you guys wait? 30 days? 60? 90?

Probably 60 but I'm not waiting until next year. I'd buy an 8S off contract on Verizon and bide my time if the 920 doesn't drop within that time frame.

That said, the more I see the Eight-X, the more I am leaning toward getting that phone...

Me too but only because there is no other option on Verizon and I'm absolutely sick of waiting.

I'm really curious to see the pricing since the 820>>>>8S

Google tells me that the 8S will be available for less than 300 (at least in Europe). Seems very competitive. The 820 only got the separate inductive cover over the 8S and seems to be around 500 off contract.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Google tells me that the 8S will be available for less than 300 (at least in Europe). Seems very competitive. The 820 only got the separate inductive cover over the 8S and seems to be around 500 off contract.

820 has more ram, more internal storage, faster processor, better camera, FFC

derFeef

Hnnnng. Actually doesn't look that huge either.

Was just gonna say, that person must have huge hands.

lumia-920-att-cyan1_1020_gallery_post.jpg

Troll

Banned
Cnet has put a nice Q&A together with Elop.

e: Am I the only one that caught myself just staring at the Cyan 920 for an inappropriate amount of time without realizing it?

UraMallas

Damn it. I want that phone but I don't want to switch carriers. I don't even know if AT&T has 4G in the Des Moines, IA area.

Edit: Well, I guess I'm covered. I don't know what to do. Why do these carriers/Microsoft/Nokia have to make this so hard to do?

e: Am I the only one that caught myself just staring at the Cyan 920 for an inappropriate amount of time without realizing it?

Nope. I stared at the picture feef posted for a while. I wasn't able to realize that it's a real device, not a render.

Everything about just looks so good, so smooth. I wasn't really excited about the 920 before, because the glossy versions look like cheap Chinese plastic toys (sorry guys, but it's true) and no one took good photos of the grey phone. Its main attraction for me was the inductive charging and ... something else I just forgot, but never the design. e: Oh yeah, the camera.

I think it's ironic that the Verge just sold me the Lumia 920.

e: It's just insane how much better the yellow one would look in matte. I think I'm still going for the grey one.

derFeef

I want to know what this exclusive bullshit means for other territories?
Can I order a cyan 920 just like a yellow one from Germany or somewhere else?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Cnet has put a nice Q&A together with Elop.

He also did a sit-down with Wired. He's been everywhere today. That's what happens when a once proud company has to fight for its life. Remember when MS/Nokia where the complacent bullies and Apple was the one pushing the envelope on tech and software? What a difference 5 years make.

Also, my wife wants me to get a Cyan Lumia so that we have matching color on our phones......

asdf.jpg

Milchjon

I just want to make sure you guys know why I'm bashing glossy whenever I can.

LyBBQ.png

It looks terrible.

In comparison:

Dunno, I still prefer it to the grey, which just looks unfinished.

FIGHT!

I still believe Nokia must have prototyped both versions, and must have its reasons for going glossy.

Dunno, I still prefer it to the grey, which just looks unfinished.

FIGHT!

I still believe Nokia must have prototyped both versions, and must have its reasons for going glossy.

Jean dye is the reason why the brighter colors have a glossy finish.

hEP2W.jpg

You can clean it, but I can see how it would get annoying over time.

Or to quote Kevin Shields, marketing guy of Nokia USA: "[it's glossy] because it's awesome!".

NeOak

Probably their own Webkit version.

He also did a sit-down with Wired. He's been everywhere today. That's what happens when a once proud company has to fight for its life. Remember when MS/Nokia where the complacent bullies and Apple was the one pushing the envelope on tech and software? What a difference 5 years make.

Well, he wrote the Burning Platforms memo...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's not just jean dye either, even cases that use cheap dye's or coloring rub off on the matte finish. I freaked out when I bought my wife's phone cause the AT&T person put a case on it and when I took it off, the 900 had a stain. Good thing it does wipe off.

Also, apparently all the stuff they're doing with Engadget, the Verge, Wired, etc. is part of their plan to win over the Appl.....er tech journalists. It's a big part of their marketing budget:

stephen elop said:
You will also see an advertising campaign supporting this. You will see a lot of emphasis on reviewers, on tech blogs, on everything to make sure there’s a lot of understanding on what sets these devices apart from the others. What’s why, if you look across the Internet right now, across the blogosphere, there are so many examples of the photography and location-based services where people are saying, “Here’s the iPhone 5. How does the 920 do? Oh, it beats it? Great!”

It's not just jean dye either, even cases that use cheap dye's or coloring rub off on the matte finish. I freaked out when I bought my wife's phone cause the AT&T person put a case on it and when I took it off, the 900 had a stain. Good thing it does wipe off.

Also, apparently all the stuff they're doing with Engadget, the Verge, Wired, etc. is part of their plan to win over the Appl.....er tech journalists. It's a big part of their marketing budget:

I can already see it.

"After PureVan gate, Nokia tries to bribe tech journalists in favor for better review scores"

Troll

Banned

Also, my wife wants me to get a Cyan Lumia so that we have matching color on our phones......

asdf.jpg

Yeah, I want a different looking phone. Having the same Focus' sucks.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If Rogers doesn't have the Cyan 920 at launch (or any other colour for that matter), I'm going to cut someone.

Edit: On a side note, I need to stop going in the phone war thread.

Milchjon

If Rogers doesn't have the Cyan 920 at launch (or any other colour for that matter), I'm going to cut someone.

Edit: On a side note, I need to stop going in the phone war thread.

Haha, it's fun. I half troll, half argue through it. Gotta stay light hearted.

thirty

Banned
I'm still hoping the Cinegraph lens is an optional app available for all WP8 devices. that's the only Nokia "exclusive" I am interested in. I really think animated gifs are gonna explode with this upcoming gen, all it takes is an Instagram type social app designed for gifs.

if that's available for the 8X, I'd be happy.

Lol at the AT&T Death Star.

If only US carriers were like their European counterparts where all phones work on all carriers.

European carriers don't subsidize the phones though. The US carriers pay for part of your phone's cost, in return you have to be on their network for 2 years. I think it's a shitty bargain and I would prefer to just buy the phone outright and have a lower monthly bill, but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom