• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Lol at the AT&T Death Star.

If only US carriers were like their European counterparts where all phones work on all carriers.

The most hilarious part about this is that att is the most flexible carrier, b/c of their network bands. Still a sad situation

Klocker

Cnet has put a nice Q&A together with Elop.

Microsoft has been criticized for not taking a more proactive role in-store. What is Nokia's role in-store in promoting your devices?

Elop: We have the primary role in retail execution with our devices. While Microsoft will help with this and work on this as well, it will be Nokia people, or people under Nokia contract, who are the principal people doing training, doing in-store support, to make sure that our devices are well-represented...There are teams of people in the United States right now who are ready to go into operator stores -- and other retail outlets -- to help people best expose the Windows Phone products, to help them understand how best to present them, which features are important, and so forth...This is a really important time for us, so we're encouraging all employees to actually engage in this and help us communicate these messages.

sweet

derFeef

He also did a sit-down with Wired. He's been everywhere today. That's what happens when a once proud company has to fight for its life. Remember when MS/Nokia where the complacent bullies and Apple was the one pushing the envelope on tech and software? What a difference 5 years make.

Also, my wife wants me to get a Cyan Lumia so that we have matching color on our phones......

asdf.jpg

Do it, I think she's crazy and insane. I can see it in the eyes.

Don't do it. It's an excuse to browse your phone and find out about all your bitches. "Sorry I thought it was my phone, wait who is this and what is she do.. where's she gonna put th... OH MY GOD"

yeah no

Cipherr

The 920 is ATT exclusive? I do not, in any way understand why? Is there any word on HTC phones? If HTC/Samsung's phone/s are on all carriers then HTC and Samsung will probably end up with the lions share of device sales. I don't fucking understand anything Nokia does anymore.

European carriers don't subsidize the phones though. The US carriers pay for part of your phone's cost, in return you have to be on their network for 2 years. I think it's a shitty bargain and I would prefer to just buy the phone outright and have a lower monthly bill, but oh well.

European carriers subsidize and lock phones down just like anyone else. The difference is that they all use the same bands, so when you buy a phone unlocked, it works pretty much on every carrier.

derFeef

The 920 is ATT exclusive? I do not, in any way understand why? Is there any word on HTC phones? If HTC/Samsung's phone/s are on all carriers then HTC and Samsung will probably end up with the lions share of device sales. I don't fucking understand anything Nokia does anymore.

I think it only was half of Nokia's choice, they needed a carrier, so to say.

dejay

Banned
European carriers subsidize and lock phones down just like anyone else. The difference is that they all use the same bands, so when you buy a phone unlocked, it works pretty much on every carrier.

Australian carriers are sometimes different, but the 920 will work on all of them. My last three phones have all been off contract - a little more expensive but it means I get to go on cheaper plans and can switch carriers on a whim.

I'll probably import from England like I did my GS2.

Hmm, this Xpress browser (beta) is pretty sluggish in rendering compared to IE, but it's nice to have options. It would also be nice if the browsers shared their bookmarks...

Australian carriers are sometimes different, but the 920 will work on all of them. My last three phones have all been off contract - a little more expensive but it means I get to go on cheaper plans and can switch carriers on a whim.

I'll probably import from England like I did my GS2.

Buting phones off contract is always an option, from what I can tell.

European carriers don't subsidize the phones though. The US carriers pay for part of your phone's cost, in return you have to be on their network for 2 years. I think it's a shitty bargain and I would prefer to just buy the phone outright and have a lower monthly bill, but oh well.

dont you have the choice to do both? I think you can buy subsidized phones in most of europe, but the handsets are all available without contract.

Talk about being disappointed.

I'm willing to bet there is a good number of people who are buying these phones not just because the hardware is awesome, but because of the colors as well. So someone please explain to me why is the CYAN & the YELLOW models are online exclusive? Why not have them present at the retail stores to promote the different colors?

I'm not even going to venture into the whole carrier exclusivity stuff, at&t pushed the 900 but clearly wasn't enough. Why not just release the damn thing on as much carriers as possible? Why let your bread & butter be in the hands of a carrier that doesn't really care. You take the marketing hit, Nokia is clearly capable of being really creative anyways.

Rogers just announced they will have the black color. Great! Rogers has the black color. Why not mention anything about the other colors? Le sigh.. I waited months to get the Cyan 900 with Rogers, they never had it in stock after the initial launch week, and now they dont even announce different 920 colors?

It's the whole 900 launch all over again, remember them launching on a holiday? When every store was closed? All that hype, build-up, momentum and poof - stores are closed. This launch is kinda reminiscent, all this hype and poof bad news after bad news as launch nears.

Bone for tuna Nokia.

Regarding the exclusivity:

Nokia reportedly pursuing exclusive carrier deals for Windows Phone 8 launch in Europe
By Tom Warren on July 23

Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 operating system is rumored to launch in November on new handsets, but a report from the Financial Times suggests that Nokia may be preparing to offer its future Lumia devices as operator exclusives. Replicating a strategy used with AT&T in the US, Nokia is said to have entered negotiations with European operators over Windows Phone 8, specifically with France Telecom and Deutsche Telekom. No deal has been reached with either party yet.

Nokia will benefit from increased promotion and support of its handsets, while operators get a share of the profits from device sales — something that's likely attractive to carriers. It's not clear how early stage the negotiations are, but if Nokia is able to strike exclusive partnerships across Europe then it may help the company establish Windows Phone as a viable third mobile operating system — providing the deals result in increased sales to customers.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/23/3177064/nokia-windows-phone-8-carrier-exclusives-rumor

hwalker84

I just hope that Cyan and Yellow being online doesn't also mean they release at a later date. Those are my two front runner colors and ill be pissed if I have to wait.

Magni

Beaten but no.

Please don't destroy his illusion of the open and free Europe.

In France a carrier is required by law to unlock a phone for free after six months, or for a fee anytime during the first six months (but they an't refuse to unlock it). So it is a bit more open and free than the US. I love this country but our infrastructure especially in terms of internet and cell phone service providers is so fucked up :(

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
MS seems to totally dominate the discussion on the Verge for days now.

I wonder whether that's good or bad.

To be fair everyone else already released their stuff last month. Now that Amazon, Apple, Barnes etc... all had their events with product releases the only thing left to really talk about is MS especially with all quiet on the Google front Nexus wise. Meanwhile MS has a ton of shit incoming.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Going to have to decide how important colour is to me. I was pretty disappointed the 900 came Rogers only in black with cyan to come months later as an afterthought. Rogers really pisses me off. They couldn't at least get red?? It is colour of your fucking logo.

I may switch to Telus if they get the 8x in other colours.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I dont know if this is the right thread for this, but I've had an issue with the chat functionality with my Lumia 800 all day, it won't connect. I still get the peoples feed from Facebook fine and everything, but I can't get online on Facebook/MSN chat.

I've tried all the tips I could find. Resets, power saving on/off, connecting accounts in live.com.. You name it. Tried it.

Is this a wider issue or is something fubar with my phone?

I dont know if this is the right thread for this, but I've had an issue with the chat functionality with my Lumia 800 all day, it won't connect. I still get the peoples feed from Facebook fine and everything, but I can't get online on Facebook/MSN chat.

I've tried all the tips I could find. Resets, power saving on/off, connecting accounts in live.com.. You name it. Tried it.

Have you checked whether it's actually a network issue? Try using some other connection than your usual. Be it Wi-Fi or borrowing someone else's SIM...

Milchjon

That happened to me too sometimes. Today I haven't had any problems, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom