• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirty

Banned
Oh hell yes. So glad cyan is back in play. The color is such a breath of fresh air. I'm far more drawn to cooler colors, and I wanted to go color because I really dig what Nokia/HTC are doing in phone design, but yellow and red just don't do it for me.

The exclusive thing can be a good and bad, and the only way we're going to tell is if AT&T actually treats the phone like the top phone on the market it is...or not. Going exclusive means AT&T wants to shine a big spotlight on the phone. But will that spotlight outshine giving the phone access to millions of other possible consumers on Verizon? I have a tough time believing that but at the same time, it will be good to see hero level marketing campaign that the phone truly deserves.

there's still the 820 and the 8X/8S that will do well on t-mo, verizon, and att.

thirty

Banned
So will an unlocked AT&T version of the Lumia 920 support T-Mobile's bands? The exclusivity news isn't exactly shocking, but I'm annoyed that once again the hero phones are beyond T-Mobile's reach.

I'm seriously considering just puttering along with Windows 7.8 on my HD-7 until next year at this point.

t-mobile days of getting hero phones are over, accept it. as it is, an unlocked 920 will work on t-mobile but EDGE speeds are the fastest you'll get until t-mobile starts using att's 1900mhz towers as well, which was reported to be happening sometime in january. once that happens, then you can use unlocked att phones on t-mobile using HDSPA+ speeds which in theory can go up to 82mbps.

Totakeke

WP8 is never going to penetrate the US market with AT&T exclusivity for flagship phones. Guess good thing for HTC eh?

Meh. Good for Cyan I guess.

Commodore

there's still the 820 and the 8X/8S that will do will on t-mo, verizon, and att.

True. It'll be good to have a viable alternative with the 8X. Hopefully we'll be seeing some great marketing campaigns on att and Verizon showcasing both phones this holiday season.

Magni

i dont know why but im still holding out for some sort of 920 on t-mobile.....

Same, I'm still holding out for pentaband unlocked sans carrier branding à la Galaxy Nexus..

So will an unlocked AT&T version of the Lumia 920 support T-Mobile's bands? The exclusivity news isn't exactly shocking, but I'm annoyed that once again the hero phones are beyond T-Mobile's reach.

I'm seriously considering just puttering along with Windows 7.8 on my HD-7 until next year at this point.

If I can't get a Lumia 920 that works on T-Mo, I probably won't buy a WP8 at all. Damn shame really, I'm tired of my Nexus.

Dipswitch

t-mobile days of getting hero phones are over, accept it. as it is, an unlocked 920 will work on t-mobile but EDGE speeds are the fastest you'll get until t-mobile starts using att's 1900mhz towers as well, which was reported to be happening sometime in january. once that happens, then you can use unlocked att phones on t-mobile using HDSPA+ speeds which in theory can go up to 82mbps.

While I don't agree with the hero statement entirely on T-Mobile (See Galaxy S III), you're largely correct. And I appreciate the other tower info.

Bottom line is though, if I'm gonna buy a phone off contract for $500+, it's gonna need to support LTE. So I'm either gonna go with one of the HTC models (If I can confirm it supports T-Mobile's intended LTE bands) or wait until next year to see how things shake out.

MattDoza

ATT exclusive?

OjfuK.gif

Could someone explain to me why on earth Nokia would limit their crucial, important for survival, flagship phone to one carrier?

Is it a positive relationship between the carrier and manufacturer? As in "if you make your phone exclusive to us, we'll take the financiel burden of cheap contracts." Or is it a negative one, as in "if you dont make you phome exclusive to us, we wont carry your phone at all."

How does it work and in what powerposition is Nokia?

giga

Could someone explain to me why on earth Nokia would limit their crucial, important for survival, flagship phone to one carrier?

Is it a positive relationship between the carrier and manufacturer? As in "if you make your phone exclusive to us, we'll take the financiel burden of cheap contracts." Or is it a negative one, as in "if you dont make you phome exclusive to us, we wont carry your phone at all."

Elop is a dumbass.

thirty

Banned

who knows, but it's probably more in the lines of, "make this phone exclusive to us and we can promise X amount of dollars to market this phone."

Milchjon

Interesting comparison between Nokia Xpress and Internet Explorer

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/15873_How_much_faster_is_Nokia_Xpres.php

Looks like Xpress uses 80% less data and results in some significant loading times on crappy connections (they sued 2G). I imagine the difference over LTE if negligible, but the difference in data usage may worth it.

I believe there were rumors of IE10 Mobile supporting compression similar to Xpress.

On WiFi, Nokia Xpress has been really slow for me so far, and it also has problems with rendering and displaying the right versions of the sites. I hope all that will be fixed during beta. Haven't tried it on cellular, so far.

Nokia basically has zero leverage. I think they realize that there's so little awareness of WP and so much FUD, that they need a carrier who's willing to push it in stores. And I don't see how they have much more to offer in return besides exclusivity.

Which is a damn shame.

thirty

Banned
Elop is a dumbass.
come on now, nokia had absolutely zero mindshare in the US in between the original motorola razr flip phone and the nokia 900. that's a lot of years that nokia has to make up for and rebuild relationships with carriers. elop isn't going to change this overnight.

Dipswitch

I'm sure it comes down to money. Either AT&T money-hatted them or promised to promote them heavily in the media and in stores.

Business is business I guess. But this sure does make a compelling argument for MS to release the rumored 'Surface' phone, which would presumably be carrier agnostic.

Carrier exclusive deals won't give WP8 the shot in the arm it needs to gain market share IMO. But MS gets that the manufacturers/carriers need to do their thing, at least in the short term.

It really is a shame, considering the interwebz are actually really impressed and positive about the 920. Ive seen the phone mentioned quite a lot on message boards that are not tech centered, but happen to have a topic where phones come up.

WP needs a hallmark phone and nokia needs a hallmark phone so that both can be propelled into relevancy. I might be too optimistic here, but i really do feel that if there is a competent marketeer at the helms of Nokia, they could propel the Lumia 920 to the position of the "third way" between iPhone/iOs and Galaxy/android. Push this angle for all its worth and after a while both the media and the general masses will automatically namedrop that third alternative when the other two are mentioned. Its essentially the strategy Samsung used to make the Gs3 the de facto challenger of the iPhone.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I hope the 8X can succeed with the other carriers. For me it's biggest downside is it is only 16GB, but I think I could deal with it.

Milchjon

I hope the 8X can succeed with the other carriers. For me it's biggest downside is it is only 16GB, but I think I could deal with it.

16 gigs is really fucking bad, though. I don't have a lot of music on my phone, almost no video, and of course a few apps, and it's almost full. Mostly with pictures. And it's been less than a year.

16 gigs is really fucking bad, though. I don't have a lot of music on my phone, almost no video, and of course a few apps, and it's almost full. Mostly with pictures. And it's been less than a year.

Is there a detailed article on the Skydrive/streaming integration in WP8? I think that's going to be the only thing that makes 16gb worthwhile, because I constantly have to reorganize my 900 :-\

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
It has been speculated for some time now that Microsoft would hold a special press event for Windows Phone 8 to finally show off the OS and sure enough, it has come true.

On Monday, October 29th at 10AM, Microsoft will show off to the world their new mobile OS originally codenamed ‘Apollo’.

The announcement is coming just days before the first expected availability of new Windows Phone 8 devices, thought to be occurring on November 4th.

Windows Phone Central will of course be there in sunny San Francisco to cover the event and bring you all the news as it happens.

Seriously how many times have they announced WP8? It feels like they've shown it off at least 3 times. Bet this means we'll be waiting till at least the week of the event before we get firm pricing as well. :(

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I still say the biggest issue I have with the platform now and going forward is web browser choices. I know IE is way better than it use to be, but it's still playing catch up. The one thing I like about Android is having access to a ton of different browser options.

JaggedSac

Seriously how many times have they announced WP8? It feels like they've shown it off at least 3 times. Bet this means we'll be waiting till at least the week of the event before we get firm pricing as well. :(

Can't wait for Belfiore to show off the People Hub.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
image001-1349370680.jpg

Microsoft's been doing its best to get Windows 8 ready for public consumption. After dogfooding the OS to employees and IT pros and getting unsolicited feedback from company co-founder Paul Allen, the time has come for its official unveiling. Microsoft told us to save October 25th on our calendars for a Win8 celebration, and now the invites are out. Naturally, we'll be there in New York City reporting on the event live, so come on back in three weeks to get your full Windows 8 and Microsoft Surface fix.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/04/windows-8-launch-event-invite/

thirty

Banned
oh, I just remembered that the 8X and the 820 were the only phones announced to be sold by att, verizon, and t-mobile. there has not been any carrier announcement for the 8S. it could be att and/or Verizon exclusive for all we know. bad news for us t-mobile customers if so.

Dead

well not really...yet
ATT exclusive for the 920...

I was planning on switching carriers (from tmo), but I was leaning towards Verizon.

fuck me

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Whoops!:

windows-phone-8-october-29-1349373762.jpg

Can we call October the Month of Metro, even if Microsoft isn't keen on the idea? Hot on the heels of its Windows 8 invitation, the company is asking us to head out a second time to see a street-inspired OS, inviting us to Windows Phone 8's formal launch on October 29th in San Francisco. The teaser doesn't say much about what Microsoft will show, although there's a real chance we'll get firmer launch schedules -- not to mention more opportunities with the Nokia Lumia 920 and HTC Windows Phone 8X than staring lovingly at their home screens. You can be sure that we'll report back with the full details.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/04/windows-phone-8-event-oct-29/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom