• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

klausbert

Hey guys, i'm in the market for the Lumia 920, but I'm wondering if i will be able to connect to a PPTP VPN with it? I've heard wp7 had no VPN support at all, but aren't there at least some browsers in the app store whith built-in VPN support?

NeOak

Hey guys, i'm in the market for the Lumia 920, but I'm wondering if i will be able to connect to a PPTP VPN with it? I've heard wp7 had no VPN support at all, but aren't there at least some browsers in the app store whith built-in VPN support?

There are no alternative browsers yet.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is Xbox beta talk bannable? I don't want to get in trouble.

Anyway, this is basically just Zune Pass with one new feature, the ad free streaming. And given that I'm already a paying member, there doesn't seem to be anything new for me. Am I missing something?

Also, if the ad free streaming doesn't come to wp7 folks but gets released for competing platforms, that would be scummy. No way around that.

You're slowly putting your best features on competing platforms, that certainly makes it a breeze to switch.

Troll

Banned
Is Xbox beta talk bannable? I don't want to get in trouble.

Anyway, this is basically just Zune Pass with one new feature, the ad free streaming. And given that I'm already a paying member, there doesn't seem to be anything new for me. Am I missing something?

Also, if the ad free streaming doesn't come to wp7 folks but gets released for competing platforms, that would be scummy. No way around that.

You're slowly putting your best features on competing platforms, that certainly makes it a breeze to switch.

Screen_shot_2012-10-13_at_6.39.27_PM_610x298.png

e: I'm not entirely sure why "social integration" isn't marked for Zune.

It makes more sense for MS to support 2 living platforms with a combined install base of almost 1 billion units than it does to support a dead platform with an installed base of bupkis. MS already declared WP7 dead when they announced WP8, so why would they continue to support it?

giga

**Free streaming limited to 10/hours momth after 6 months; unlimited with paid subscription.
This is like Spotify right? Even with ads, the free streaming is so paltry on these services, that it makes it useless for anyone except light music listeners. 10 hours a month is nothing.

Tomcat

This is like Spotify right? Even with ads, the free streaming is so paltry on these services, that it makes it useless for anyone except light music listeners. 10 hours a month is nothing.

spotify has free streaming with ads? or is there a timer on that too?

ElNino

Have to say that not making it available on WP7 is a very shabby move on MS's behalf.

Windows 7, alright, you have the option to upgrade to Windows 8 relatively easily. On Windows Phone you do not, at least not without buying new hardware.

They should not be able to get away with this.
Other than free-streaming (which appears to only be part of Windows 8) and cloud storage, WP7 already has "Xbox Music"... it just won't be called that. At least for those outside of the US, Zune Music has recently got much better as a result of Xbox Music as we now have access to more features than we had previously (artist bios, related artists, album reviews).

The subscriptions and the content are the same as well, so it really isn't as dire a situation as you are making it out to be.

toff74

As time goes on well have to pay for more and more of these services. Personally, £7/ month for all the music I could ever want is just right considering BUYING the music on cd/mp3 would be considerably more.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Zune had their zune social thing that was basically a last fm knock-off

Yeah that seemed great only it was completely useless because no one used Zune and more importantly, I've already got a load of data & friends on last.fm I don't want to lose touch with.

I think that's where Spotify have really nailed it, they made themselves an invaluable part of your music instead of trying to control everything out of the gate.

hadareud

The Translator
Other than free-streaming (which appears to only be part of Windows 8) and cloud storage, WP7 already has "Xbox Music"... it just won't be called that. At least for those outside of the US, Zune Music has recently got much better as a result of Xbox Music as we now have access to more features than we had previously (artist bios, related artists, album reviews).

The subscriptions and the content are the same as well, so it really isn't as dire a situation as you are making it out to be.

Yeah, at the time I hadn't realise that the free streaming seems to be W8 only.

Still, they should release a new Windows 7 client and rename the service on WP7 too.

Yeah that seemed great only it was completely useless because no one used Zune

Ghost doesn't care about Arsenal people.

That's how quickly you forget about your old Zune mates.

You'll cry every night, because Xbox Music sucks so much compared to Zune.

True, although I've started getting used to Xbox Music. It's not too bad, but some stuff is a little wonky. When it's updated, some stuff will change including a "rich now playing experience". We'll see.

The streaming is just W8 for now, but apparently it is coming to Xbox and WP in the future.

Milchjon

windows phone 8x video that hasn't been posted here before. damn, just when i decided on the 810. those tapered edges are going to feel so good to the touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qQYIIilSMY

That's one of the better homescreen layouts yet.

Also, I'm still not a fan of the 8X's design. Their yellow is great, but apart from that, it looks pretty boring to me. The One X looks far better.

And does "And there's a lot of great features yet to be announced" mean we can still hope for some surprises?

hwalker84

That's one of the better homescreen layouts yet.

Also, I'm still not a fan of the 8X's design. Their yellow is great, but apart from that, it looks pretty boring to me. The One X looks far better.

And does "And there's a lot of great features yet to be announced" mean we can still hope for some surprises?
I think we're getting setup for a disappointment in this regards.

Talon

If even 1/4 of the people that wax poetically about the One X bought it, HTC wouldn't be hemorrhaging from every orifice.

:lol The Zune interface is better, but I'm already used to using Xbox Music.

I'm just mad that they don't have a podcast section for Xbox Music... I mean What The Hell! Until that's added in, Zune will continue to be my client for Music and Podcasts.

RIP Zune :'(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
We will get our first dual core, 1gb RAM Windows Phone in early November.

The same week that a quad core, 2gb android phone debuts on at&t. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom