• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
But when will Windows Phone get a proper notification center?

What do you think live tiles are for? /joeB

Anyway, it was a bit of an empty complaint for me. Apollo is built for these dual core processors, so my assumption is the phones will be far more optimized and efficient at using the specs than the android phones.

Ah, so this is actually High Contrast mode, not a color theme:

8x%20High%20Contrast.jpeg

Tomcat

if you put a notification center the tiles lose some of their importance so i understand why they dont want to do it
maybe they could use the me tile to store all the toast notifications
at least now we can customise the homescreen with 5 apps of our choice

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Notifications are a bit of a nuisance anyway. On my iPad, I hate having to periodically go in and remove alerts for all kinds of crap, so I've just been disabling them.

I kind of enjoy the geeky aspects of a centralized repository, but it kind of turns into a chore that you have to manage. I have to go in and disable notifications for apps that are trying to sell me stuff if I mistakenly hit the popup asking me whether I want notifications.

For me, there are very few apps I care enough about to bother checking a notification if there is one,and for those aps I'll just have them at the top of my home screen and use the live tiles and badges. Nothing else is important enough to warrant my undivided attention all the time, especially not a repository of twitter mentions and Gmail notifications.

So I think I'm slightly turning away from wanting a centralized center for notifications. I've even disabled most of my toast alerts, disabled sound for email etc. Its just a distraction. To me. To vanmardigan. Of course, you are free to disagree and feel that you need to have every alert, every toast, every email, every CNN news break, every twitter mention in one place. I can relate, I used to be like that too.

Milchjon

Notifications are a bit of a nuisance anyway. On my iPad, I hate having to periodically go in and remove alerts for all kinds of crap, so I've just been disabling them.

I kind of enjoy the geeky aspects of a centralized repository, but it kind of turns into a chore that you have to manage. I have to go in and disable notifications for apps that are trying to sell me stuff if I mistakenly hit the popup asking me whether I want notifications.

For me, there are very few apps I care enough about to bother checking a notification if there is one,and for those aps I'll just have them at the top of my home screen and use the live tiles and badges. Nothing else is important enough to warrant my undivided attention all the time, especially not a repository of twitter mentions and Gmail notifications.

So I think I'm slightly turning away from wanting a centralized center for notifications. I've even disabled most of my toast alerts, disabled sound for email etc. Its just a distraction. To me. To vanmardigan. Of course, you are free to disagree and feel that you need to have every alert, every toast, every email, every CNN news break, every twitter mention in one place. I can relate, I used to be like that too.

Well, I kinda agree. I've turned off most of them too. I think the reason I want one is that some live tiles are still pretty bad (Facebook, WhatsApp). So every now and then my phone vibrates and I have no clue why when I look at it once the toast is gone.

Commodore

if you put a notification center the tiles lose some of their importance so i understand why they dont want to do it
maybe they could use the me tile to store all the toast notifications
at least now we can customise the homescreen with 5 apps of our choice

The Me tile is pretty much my notification center. And like Van, there's very few apps that I feel are worthy of notifying me in the middle of whatever I'm doing. And those that are important to me, are in my start screen with live tiles that let me know if there's something to check out. What more would a notification center offer than what I'm doing?

AnkitT

Well, I kinda agree. I've turned off most of them too. I think the reason I want one is that some live tiles are still pretty bad (Facebook, WhatsApp). So every now and then my phone vibrates and I have no clue why when I look at it once the toast is gone.

This.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Yep, that's a good point, but its something that can and hopefully will be fixed with a more robust set of background services for third party apps. So if those apps get consistent badges and live tiles that always work, it alleviates the need for a notification center.

VoxPop

Hm if I were to buy a Lumia 920 unlocked, would I be able to easily use it on any prepaid carrier? I want to try something new. Sick of Android and iOS. I could live without the apps as I could just get it on my tablets. WP looks slick as hell.

Korey

This is like Spotify right? Even with ads, the free streaming is so paltry on these services, that it makes it useless for anyone except light music listeners. 10 hours a month is nothing.

Never noticed that and I listen to music on spotify all the time. Weird.

This. I've wondered for a while now if the 10 hour limit really exists cause I have to be going over it.

Spotify Free in the US is unlimited and has no hour limit.

Originally they were gonna do unlimited for 6 months, and then the hour limit, but they backed out of that indefinitely. Haven't said when they'll implement it. Maybe the US market is too valuable for them to risk that.

hwalker84

Hm if I were to buy a Lumia 920 unlocked, would I be able to easily use it on any prepaid carrier? I want to try something new. Sick of Android and iOS. I could live without the apps as I could just get it on my tablets. WP looks slick as hell.
US? if so you need a pre paid carrier that runs off of ATT for HSPA+ or TMobile for EDGE.

thirty

Banned
not any prepaid carrier, straight talk service would work. I really want that 920 too and would only go this route. issue with me though is I use between 4-5gb of data a month with t-mobile and straight talk only wants you to use no more than 2gb a month. decisions decisions.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just got email regarding the transition of my Zune Pass to XBox Music. Not only that, they gave me a code for 1000 MS points to celebrate :)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Care to share that email? I'm curious how this is going down and if I'll be losing my 10 mp3s per month.

Xbox Music brings you all the music you love, every way you want it. With millions of songs to discover, stream, download, and own—it's the all-in-one music service for your tablet, PC, TV, and phone. And with Xbox Music Pass, your favourite songs follow you wherever you go, across all your devices.

There's nothing you need to do. Your Zune Music Pass is now an Xbox Music Pass, giving you access to everything you enjoy today and a whole lot more.

More music - Stream or download songs from one of the largest digital music catalogues on the planet… over 18 million songs and counting.

Cloud connected – Build your music collection and create playlists. They effortlessly sync across your Xbox 360, Windows 8 tablet and PC and Windows Phone 8 so your music is accessible anytime, anywhere.

Save your favourites - On your Xbox 360, create playlists and pin your favourite artists for easy access to the music you love.

Import playlists – On Windows 8 tablets and PCs you can import your Zune Music collection, including playlists you’ve created.

Keep listening – Your Xbox Music Pass will continue to work in the Zune PC software and on Windows Phone 7 devices.

You are now a part of Xbox Music, bringing you all the music you love, every way you want it.

Learn more

A Gift for You

o celebrate the launch of Xbox Music, we're giving you 1,000 Microsoft Points to use on any of the music, video, or game content on Xbox LIVE. Welcome to the Xbox Music family.

Regarding the credits. I didn't have that kind of pass.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I had already converted out of the 10 credit plan, cause the $99/year deal is just a much better value for me. I definitely appreciate the points, lol. I don't even play xbox games anymore, so MS just gave me a movie night with my family. :)

Edit:

Thurrott is writing a Windows Phone book (maybe that's brot's source for swiping through Bing images). He's basically allowing you to read the book as he writes it. Here's some cool stuff:

BingPanorama_zps5d30b568.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
From Thurrott's Windows Phone Book website:

Paul said:
Allow search button from lock screen. When checked (as it is by default), this option lets you trigger
search queries even when the phone is locked.

Also, NEW BING feature: Instant Answers:

BingInstantAnswers_zpsd3ad737f.jpg

frontieruk

It also won't be compatible with WP8 devices i bet. Progress!

Compatible == not supported

like a lot of android handsets will never see a revision beyond honeycomb due to memory limits though hackers manage it, we'll see the same on WP and if wp8 doesn't get an HD2 release I'll be mightly surprised.

Compatible == not supported

like a lot of android handsets will never see a revision beyond honeycomb due to memory limits though hackers manage it, we'll see the same on WP and if wp8 doesn't get an HD2 release I'll be mightly surprised.

I really want to buy an HD2, just to mess around with it.

tino

Banned
My HD2 is on its 4th and 5th batteries and its only on its prime!

* not done until Android 6.0 "Oreo" or Windows Phone 9 "Athena".

Milchjon

I think there's something severely wrong with my Lumia 800. When I let it lie there for a few minutes, it won't turn on again. I soft reset it, it seems to work fine, the same thing happens. And a few crashes in between. All within the last hour.

No real problems before.

:*(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom