• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
This is seriously cool.

LiveWall.jpeg

Awesome, looks great! Pumped for Monday.

Edit: Already new stuff being leaked :)

kazinova

Man we're so close to the press conference on Monday, I don't think that I want to read the blogs at this point. So that when I watch the video I don't know what to expect.

(Typing this on my Surface btw.)

Commodore

You guys leave my laptop alone!

leeeaave_187139060.jpg

The purchase is gonna come back and get you eventually.

zzRpb.gif

Not really, enjoy a cool new gadget!

Also those live wallpapers make for some very interesting possibilities. Immediately awesome idea. Bring on Monday, I'm ready. My little girl is being born on Monday, plus getting final word on WP8. Should be stunningly awesome day. Can't wait to take pictures of her with my new 920.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Can't wait to check my teams score as I'm watching it on TV. I'ma keep waking the phone up just for the fucking novelty of it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Sports and weather will be great applications for the live lockscreen. Other good ones would be TV shows on that day. Such as simple thing, but still awesome.

bangai-o

Banned
i found some windows phone cheap for sale without a plan. are they good and useful wi fi only? basically take notes and sync with skydrive is what Im thinking of. along with all the other nifty things like mp3 player, camera, alarm clock, and Ilo Milo would be nice.

squicken

What are the consequences of the diminished S4 CPU/GPU? I have had both a GS3 and an iPhone5? I loved the size of the GS3, but it was noticeably slower than the iPhone5. I don't play games so any sort of GPU deficiency doesn't really matter, but I want it to be fast with App switching/loading and web browsing.

I also have a bit of a usability question. I like to listen to sports talk radio podcasts. I go to their websites and download the mp3. Since Safari doesn't allow this, I have to use a special App on iOS to do this. But playing the mp3 was just like anything else. Lock screen control. Played while other apps were open. Easy to access within that app

With Android, though you could directly download files from the browser, playing them from the download folder offered limited use. It would stop playing when certain other apps opened, and there weren't lock screen controls. To get that back, you have to open the music player, find the mp3 by drilling down through several folders, and playing it

How does this work with Windows phone? Can I direct download an mp3 from the browser? Is it easy to quickly access the file? Does it play with other apps open and does it have lock screen control?

Thanks for any help

Troll

Banned
I'm in California!

=(
This app is incompatible with all of your devices.
T-Mobile HTC T-Mobile G2
This item is not compatible with your device.
Asus Transformer TF101
This item is not compatible with your device

Ask the Android OT, they can help you.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in California!

=(
T-Mobile HTC T-Mobile G2
Asus Transformer TF101

I thought I read about it being only for Android 4.0

So, this probably will have been adressed at some point in this thread, but the music player on my Lumia 800 routinely makes my entire phone lock up, requiring a reset before it actually works again. I don't suppsose there's any way to fix that?

And on a semi-related note, anyone have an idea when 7.8. rolls around?

AnkitT

So, this probably will have been adressed at some point in this thread, but the music player on my Lumia 800 routinely makes my entire phone lock up, requiring a reset before it actually works again. I don't suppsose there's any way to fix that?

And on a semi-related note, anyone have an idea when 7.8. rolls around?

Does it only happen when headphones are plugged in? I have had the same issue since day one. I'm hoping 7.8 will fix it, but it probably seems like a hardware issue.

I'm in California!

=(
T-Mobile HTC T-Mobile G2
Asus Transformer TF101

Reports are that it works on a lot of "incompatible" devices when side-loaded. MS just didn't check enough boxes.

To ask how to side-load things, well, you really should ask the Android OT at this point.

Regarding the live lockscreen wallpapers, I assume you'll need an internet connection for that. Does that mean the live wallpapers only work with 3G/4G enabled, cause WiFi is off while in stand-by.. or is it?

MarkusRJR

For the past 2 months I've been flip flopping between my Lumia 610 and my BB Bold 9900. I'm still not sure which to make my main phone. I wish my Lumia had a working Slacker app that wasn't a laggy piece of shit or had a micro sd slot so I can pop in my 32gb card with my music collection on it. Considering I only use my phone to listen to music, text, watch YouTube and browse neogaf I'm losing a bunch of functionality on my Lumia. MS doesn't let me use my Paypal account for purchases anymore for some reason (gives me an error code) so I can't buy a Zune subscription.

Does anybody know if MS is eventually going to add Xbox Music support to WP7'S 7.5/7.8 devices? I'm curious about it and it'll be a bit annoying if it doesn't come to my phone.

Another random thing to note: Smartglass doesn't work on phones with 256mb RAM. It's the only app I've wanted apart from Plants vs Zombies and Angry Birds that hasn't worked on my phone. Kinda disappointing.

/rambling

i found some windows phone cheap for sale without a plan. are they good and useful wi fi only? basically take notes and sync with skydrive is what Im thinking of. along with all the other nifty things like mp3 player, camera, alarm clock, and Ilo Milo would be nice.

Yes. My son think so anyway, he used it as his portable gam and app devices for almost a year before we got him on At&t family plan.

Just popped into my local phones4u store in the UK - they have received their demo version of the Lumia 920. I got to hold it (briefly). Advised it's launching in a couple of weeks.

Can't wait! :)

kharma45

Just popped into my local phones4u store in the UK - they have received their demo version of the Lumia 920. I got to hold it (briefly). Advised it's launching in a couple of weeks.

Can't wait! :)

Nice, might pop into one of the Belfast ones during the week and see if they've got anything.

Blackhead

Redarse
MS doesn't let me use my Paypal account for purchases anymore for some reason (gives me an error code) so I can't buy a Zune subscription.

/rambling

(Sidenote) What do WP users think of this article: The Windows ecosystem reboot is bad news if you plan to move country
Is there anyone using a US Microsoft account while another country, say Germany or the South Korea? Are there any restrictions (e.g. bing local search, paypal)? Does it interfere with your Windows account if you're upgrading to Windows 8? Is the hassle worth it or is best to just stick to your country store and keep hoping for Microsoft to bring all the features there?

(another Sidenote) I have a Windows live email account which I only use for Microsoft stuff—I set it up when I got my first windows phone and all it has are messages about app downloads and zune subscriptions. Are there any benefits to keeping this email address or should I switch the Windows Account ID to my main gmail address?

/rambling

frontieruk

(Sidenote) What do WP users think of this article: The Windows ecosystem reboot is bad news if you plan to move country
Is there anyone using a US Microsoft account while another country, say Germany or the South Korea? Are there any restrictions (e.g. bing local search, paypal)? Does it interfere with your Windows account if you're upgrading to Windows 8? Is the hassle worth it or is best to just stick to your country store and keep hoping for Microsoft to bring all the features there?

(another Sidenote) I have a Windows live email account which I only use for Microsoft stuff—I set it up when I got my first windows phone and all it has are messages about app downloads and zune subscriptions. Are there any benefits to keeping this email address or should I switch the Windows Account ID to my main gmail address?

/rambling

and 8 days after that article was published http://thisismetro.com/2012/10/how-to-change-your-microsoft-account-region/

still stand to lose some stuff but it's doable via MS

MarkusRJR

Okay so apparently MS isn't updating Zune on WP7 and Xbox Music is only going to be on W8, WP8, and Xbox 360 only? WTF? Is MS trying to further piss off WP7 users?

I'm probably getting an RT Surface next month. Does this mean I can't get one subscription and have it work on all of my devices? If I were to get a Zune Pass would I be able to use my Xbox and Surface to stream music along with my phone? I'm really confused about this whole new system they have in place. :/

Totakeke

Okay so apparently MS isn't updating Zune on WP7 and Xbox Music is only going to be on W8, WP8, and Xbox 360 only? WTF? Is MS trying to further piss off WP7 users?

I'm probably getting an RT Surface next month. Does this mean I can't get one subscription and have it work on all of my devices? If I were to get a Zune Pass would I be able to use my Xbox and Surface to stream music along with my phone? I'm really confused about this whole new system they have in place. :/

Yes, Zune pass transfers to Xbox Music, perhaps vice versa as well. You just don't get the free streaming thing.

/rambling

You used to need a US credit card for a US account, not sure if paypal helps on that front. However I also noticed that in Windows 8 they are putting in "you must be physically at the location" restrictions.

PG2G

Zune Pass and Xbox Music are one in the same as far as the service is concerned. My Zune Pass works on my Xbox, Windows 8 Music App, Windows Zune application, Windows Phone 7 Zune app.

The only incompatibility is in the DRM. Files downloaded in the Xbox Music app can't be player in the Zune application. Which is a non issue

MarkusRJR

Zune Pass and Xbox Music are one in the same as far as the service is concerned. My Zune Pass works on my Xbox, Windows 8 Music App, Windows Zune application, Windows Phone 7 Zune app.

The only incompatibility is in the DRM. Files downloaded in the Xbox Music app can't be player in the Zune application. Which is a non issue
So in my case (where I'll just be streaming music to WP7, W8, and an Xbox 360) I should be able to just use a single paid subscription with no problems? And which do I technically subscribe to, Xbox Music or Zune Pass?

Thank you so much for helping me. Microsoft's website didn't answer any of my questions.

PG2G

So in my case (where I'll just be streaming music to WP7, W8, and an Xbox 360) I should be able to just use a single paid subscription with no problems? And which do I technically subscribe to, Xbox Music or Zune Pass?

Thank you so much for helping me. Microsoft's website didn't answer any of my questions.

Yeah, for sure. That is the exact same scenario I am in right now. I don't think you'll find an option to sign up for a Zune Pass anymore, Xbox Music Pass should be the only service they offer so you should be good with that.

No problem, enjoy!

TTOOLL

So, I didn't have Zune Pass because it wasn't avaiable in Brazil. Now I have Xbox Music Pass on my PC, and I should have it on my Lumia, right? Do I have to do anything special?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom