• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

venne

What are the consequences of the diminished S4 CPU/GPU? I have had both a GS3 and an iPhone5? I loved the size of the GS3, but it was noticeably slower than the iPhone5. I don't play games so any sort of GPU deficiency doesn't really matter, but I want it to be fast with App switching/loading and web browsing.

I also have a bit of a usability question. I like to listen to sports talk radio podcasts. I go to their websites and download the mp3. Since Safari doesn't allow this, I have to use a special App on iOS to do this. But playing the mp3 was just like anything else. Lock screen control. Played while other apps were open. Easy to access within that app

With Android, though you could directly download files from the browser, playing them from the download folder offered limited use. It would stop playing when certain other apps opened, and there weren't lock screen controls. To get that back, you have to open the music player, find the mp3 by drilling down through several folders, and playing it

How does this work with Windows phone? Can I direct download an mp3 from the browser? Is it easy to quickly access the file? Does it play with other apps open and does it have lock screen control?

Thanks for any help

Can't really comment on performance since we don't have any hands on. Based on past performance, I'd expect WP8 to be slightly slower than the new iPhone but just as smooth and, channeling my inner-Elop, much more delightful to use everyday.

I can't comment on the MP3 part other than you can play while doing something else (volume change will pop up player controls) and there are controls on the lock screen.

So, I didn't have Zune Pass because it wasn't avaiable in Brazil. Now I have Xbox Music Pass on my PC, and I should have it on my Lumia, right? Do I have to do anything special?

If you sign up with the same Microsoft account it should work on both platform. Everything that I bought on Zune and Xbox Zune show up on my Windows 8 apps.

PG2G

Kind of dreading making the call/trek to AT&T to find out what I'd need to do to have a plan that supports tethering. Beginning to think me giving up my"unlimited" plan is going to be inevitable with all these new Windows 8 tablets :/

thirty

Banned
question for the lumia 800/900 owners. is the polycarbonate body holding up well? is your matte or glossy and how is it against scratches and stains?

AnkitT

question for the lumia 800/900 owners. is the polycarbonate body holding up well? is your matte or glossy and how is it against scratches and stains?

Caveat: I am pretty rough with my phones and never use a case.

I had mine for about 9 months now. I dunno if this is unique to my unit, but the polycarbonate around the camera chrome on the back is sort of flaking out, and there's a visible but not that significant "ridge"around the chrome. Everywhere else on the body though, no visible scratches or whatever.

Milchjon

Yeah, the matte finish around the edges of my speaker and SIM tray are starting to flake off. I really hope Nokia is aware of this (widespread) issue.

No scratches otherwise. It's really sturdy.

This is seriously cool.

LiveWall.jpeg

Hope this functionality makes it's way to windows 8.

Blackhead

Redarse
You used to need a US credit card for a US account, not sure if paypal helps on that front. However I also noticed that in Windows 8 they are putting in "you must be physically at the location" restrictions.

Damn. Is there a page with the features available by region for Windows Phone 8 (and Windows 8 too)?

Can't really comment on performance since we don't have any hands on. Based on past performance, I'd expect WP8 to be slightly slower than the new iPhone but just as smooth and, channeling my inner-Elop, much more delightful to use everyday.

I can't comment on the MP3 part other than you can play while doing something else (volume change will pop up player controls) and there are controls on the lock screen.

What are the consequences of the diminished S4 CPU/GPU? I have had both a GS3 and an iPhone5? I loved the size of the GS3, but it was noticeably slower than the iPhone5. I don't play games so any sort of GPU deficiency doesn't really matter, but I want it to be fast with App switching/loading and web browsing.

I also have a bit of a usability question. I like to listen to sports talk radio podcasts. I go to their websites and download the mp3. Since Safari doesn't allow this, I have to use a special App on iOS to do this. But playing the mp3 was just like anything else. Lock screen control. Played while other apps were open. Easy to access within that app

How does this work with Windows phone? Can I direct download an mp3 from the browser? Is it easy to quickly access the file? Does it play with other apps open and does it have lock screen control?

Thanks for any help
No, you can't direct download an mp3 from the browser. You can't download any file actually. Microsoft has hardcoded some file support so a link to say a word document would open on Microsoft Office application and a pdf link would open in the Adobe Reader app if you have installed iirc. But no file system. :/

That's partly why I've been so antsy about confirmation of App Contracts and Extensions functionality making it into WP8. I really can't stand the app silos of iOS and the situation in WP7.5 is even worse. App Contracts and extensions would be a solution to that problem; there has even been a nice third-party file explorer app released for Windows RT. *fingers crossed* it gets demoed on Monday.
With Android, though you could directly download files from the browser, playing them from the download folder offered limited use. It would stop playing when certain other apps opened, and there weren't lock screen controls. To get that back, you have to open the music player, find the mp3 by drilling down through several folders, and playing it
That's not right. On Android, you can play mp3s downloaded from the browser directly with any full featured music player without drilling though the file system. Just tap on the completed download notification and it'll offer to open in the app of your choice. Heck, it'll even offer to open the podcast download/subscription page in a podcast client if you have one of those installed. That's the beauty of Android's Intents system. Windows's Contracts and Extensions isn't quite the same thing (you can't change default apps for one) but it should be very competitive.

The Verge has learned that Google's Android event scheduled for Monday in New York City has been canceled due to Hurricane Sandy. On Friday New York Governor Andrew Cuomo declared a state of emergency in response to the incoming storm, and Google's event was set to take place on a waterfront pier, which is now in an evacuation zone. We'll keep you updated on Google's plans to reschedule, but in the meantime, grab your jackets and head somewhere dry.

I bet Joe Belfiore is laughing like an idiot right now. Bestcoast wins.

MarkusRJR

How do I remove a song on my "now playing" controls that come up whenever you change volume? I was on marketplace checking out songs (it's been a day or so since that happened) and it's there's still the last song I was previewing on there.

Milchjon

How do I remove a song on my "now playing" controls that come up whenever you change volume? I was on marketplace checking out songs (it's been a day or so since that happened) and it's there's still the last song I was previewing on there.

Play a different song? In my experience, it removes the songs from Zune pretty fast after you stop playing.

Also, DrawSomething is utterly useless when everyone I could play with has gotten over it like half a year ago :-D
With stuff like Angry Birds, a delayed launch might not matter (as much), but with cross-platform multiplayer games, it makes the whole thing pointless.

MCD

There is an app for that.

Can't remember the name, something STOP.

squicken

Damn. Is there a page with the features available by region for Windows Phone 8 (and Windows 8 too)?

No, you can't direct download an mp3 from the browser. You can't download any file actually. Microsoft has hardcoded some file support so a link to say a word document would open on Microsoft Office application and a pdf link would open in the Adobe Reader app if you have installed iirc. But no file system. :/

That's partly why I've been so antsy about confirmation of App Contracts and Extensions functionality making it into WP8. I really can't stand the app silos of iOS and the situation in WP7.5 is even worse. App Contracts and extensions would be a solution to that problem; there has even been a nice third-party file explorer app released for Windows RT. *fingers crossed* it gets demoed on Monday.

That's not right. On Android, you can play mp3s downloaded from the browser directly with any full featured music player without drilling though the file system. Just tap on the completed download notification and it'll offer to open in the app of your choice. Heck, it'll even offer to open the podcast download/subscription page in a podcast client if you have one of those installed. That's the beauty of Android's Intents system. Windows's Contracts and Extensions isn't quite the same thing (you can't change default apps for one) but it should be very competitive.

Thank you for taking the time to give that thorough answer. That's a big bummer on WP8. It basically rules it out since I really need that direct download functionality

dLMN8R

Stop the Music, I think.

Hilarious/sad that it even needs to exist.

There's teaching your customer, and then there's unnecessary meddling.

The Now Playing info goes away after locking/unlocking your phone a certain number of times without playing anything. Maybe 5-6?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I don't even care what they announce, I just want to what carriers, when and how much.

Since I think we only have Lumia carrier details for Australia.

Commodore

Okay guys, give us some predictions for Monday's event. Microsoft employees, feel free to play along.

Pricing.
Carriers.
Announcement of new marque apps/games
Announcement of Live Lock Screen/Kids Corner/Rooms
Announcement of some sort of partnership with some company that won't be relevant to most of us (like new Ford Sync integration)
Announcement of the new Windows 8 syncing software
Announcement new advancements in TellMe capabilities

One more thing...

Buying a Windows Phone will make all your dreams come true. (bees. bees everywhere.)

Commodore

A couple things:

Weird thing happened today. I'd been getting phantom app update notifications for a long time on the Marketplace tile. Its been odd, worrying that there were a ton of my apps that can be updated, that aren't because they don't show up when I open the Marketplace tile. Well tossed my phone on my bed earlier today, and came back to it and it was shut off for some reason, so I restarted it back up (I think it had to have been a month or so since the last time I have restarted the phone). Later I saw the Marketplace tile with a ton of app update notifications and I opened the tile to see if any of the updates were sticking and lo and behold they they all were ready to be updated, all 26 of them. I don't know if it had anything to do with restarting the phone or not, but those weren't phantom updates, those were actual updates. So if any of you are running into this problem, try restarting and waiting for the tile to update again.

Also, twabbit is free for a limited time. NokiaUS just endorsed it. Best Windows Phone twitter app. Go get it!

Managed to get on the beta for Money Thyme, a third party Mint app. So nice to finally have some sort of option for Mint. It's more for viewing/monitoring your finances/budgets, being you can't really edit anything, but I'd rather do that on the desktop anyhow, but still its nice to at least be able to check on my budgets on my phone. App is decent, well designed, some nice little animations. Should be a decent holdover till the official Mint app finally arrives.

Double also, happy Windows Phone 8 announcement eve you guuyzz.

GRYos.gif

Milchjon

I wonder if their Xbox 720 info is gonna be this tight when approaching that release

It's rather obvious that WP8 was on a tight schedule or even behind schedule. Time is more of a factor on the smartphone market right now, I'd say, so they had to get it finished and get it out under pressure. The pressure on the console market is lower in comparison. So I'd expect that MS can communicate more on their own terms, compared to WP8.

If that makes any sense.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait till tomorrow. Really hope we see a variant of the 920 for other carriers. It is not a huge deal for me, but I want others to get their hands on it. I think a 920 without wireless charging would be smart since you could make it thinner and lighter since you don't need the charging coil. Would also make a difference between the "exclusive" 920 and what other carriers would get.

I still really like the 8X as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom