• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirty

Banned
the windows 8 conference a few days ago was a major dud so my expectations are low. i'd love for MS to surprise us with an early release, like tomorrow.

Totakeke

tomorrow's forecast for SF is Mostly Sunny

Oh yeah?

HCPbZ.jpg

Commodore

Holy shit. First kid is being born tomorrow, WP event tomorrow, I'm hypedd---hyperventilating. Tomorrow is gonna be one for the books, mark it down. I can hardly sit still. o.0

Troll

Banned
Okay guys, the thread is ready just looking for a headline.

Windows Phone 8 Launch Event |OT| Rock You Like a Hurricane

Okay guys, the thread is ready just looking for a headline.

Windows Phone 8 Launch Event |OT| Rock You Like a Hurricane

|OT| Googy pls

By the way, who wants to bet that todays conference will all be about Joe Belgiore rearranging tiles.

Holy shit. First kid is being born tomorrow, WP event tomorrow, I'm hypedd---hyperventilating. Tomorrow is gonna be one for the books, mark it down. I can hardly sit still. o.0

Congrats and good luck! Hope everything goes well

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I hope everything goes well for you and your wife and baby. Having a baby is both a thrill and a nerve wracking experience.

You think you know what the outcome is going to be, but you're not quite sure until it happens and you just hope everything goes well.

Like the conference today.

Milchjon

Congrats! Being born under these circumstances, I totally expect your kid to be the best looking underachiever ever ;-)

Commodore

Holy fuck Weave got updated.

I know right? Been forever, and once more they prove why its the best news reader. Well designed, highly usable.

(thanks all, I'll see ya on the other side of today, hopefully with expectations fulfilled in more ways than one )

JaggedSac

This would be the perfect real time segment for MS to demonstrate Camera Lenses stuff and the Lumia 920 OIS capabilities.

Dipswitch

Well, that was a seriously underwhelming conference. All this cloak and dagger bullshit and nothing really to show for it. Kids corner & Live apps are nice, but not mindblowing.

The lack of technical info provided though is making my head hurt. Does WP8 support proper multitasking for instance? What are the extra CPU cores/memory being used for? What advantages does the Windows 8 kernel provide? For God's sake, give me a reason to upgrade my phone Microsoft!

I was on the fence about getting a new WP8 phone to replace my HTC HD7 this year and now I'm almost certainly waiting. Between the irritating carrier exclusives and the lack of a compelling software reason to upgrade, all enthusiasm I have for jumping in the WP8 pool this year has dried up.

Milchjon

Engadget

With the exception of a few new features, Windows Phone hadn't changed much in the last two years. The new version of its OS, however, definitely makes the platform feel more refined and even brings back some of the freshness we originally felt when we first laid eyes on the firmware. We demanded support for hardware that's relevant to today's market, and Microsoft brought it; we wanted more app integration and customization, and it's now much improved over WP7. Indeed, Windows Phone 8 is precisely what we wanted to see come out of Redmond in the first place.

There's only one major question mark still looming over its head now; how will developers respond to it? In 2012, an OS is only as strong as its ecosystem, and regardless of Microsoft's best efforts to sell the platform to big-name developers (and even amassing over 100,000 apps to date), it's been an ongoing struggle for Windows Phone to appear relevant enough to attract popular titles. What the new firmware has, however, is much more potential than WP7 ever had; Microsoft has finally laid the proper framework to make the platform desirable to developers. We'll also likely see a large number of Windows 8 customers eventually drawn to Microsoft's phone OS as they begin investing time and money in the desktop or tablet versions.

Let there be no doubt -- Windows Phone 8 is a definite improvement over its predecessor, and it's long overdue. In general, we like what we see, and users and developers have been eagerly awaiting this update ever since the Windows Phone platform first launched. It's still far from perfect, but Microsoft has finally caught up in many ways to its competitors (and come up with some clever new features in the process), and by doing so, the momentum is now in its court. If Microsoft loses that momentum in the near future, however, we have a hard time seeing its OS recovering from it

Well, that was a seriously underwhelming conference. All this cloak and dagger bullshit and nothing really to show for it. Kids corner & Live apps are nice, but not mindblowing.

The lack of technical info provided though is making my head hurt. Does WP8 support proper multitasking for instance? What are the extra CPU cores/memory being used for? What advantages does the Windows 8 kernel provide? For God's sake, give me a reason to upgrade my phone Microsoft!

I was on the fence about getting a new WP8 phone to replace my HTC HD7 this year and now I'm almost certainly waiting. Between the irritating carrier exclusives and the lack of a compelling software reason to upgrade, all enthusiasm I have for jumping in the WP8 pool this year has dried up.

You'll get your techie stuff tomorrow at the //Build 2012 conference.

JaggedSac

Quick question guys. The Verge review made it sound like Bing maps was no longer doing turn by turn directions and instead relying on third parties, is that the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom