• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Rogers is getting the 920 tomorrow in select stores :O

$99 on a three year contract or $549 unlocked. Crazy deal, if they only had more colours!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The verge also gave the 8x a 7.8, noting the awesome hardware, but dinging the OS ecosystem.

icalledit.gif

Expect the exact same thing for the Lumia 920.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The new Bing is awesome. Finally can zoom and save pics as well :)

Also awesome is that Xbox Music will pull in your collection from the cloud and you can filter to what is on your phone or streaming.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Seeing as Tmobile isn't getting any good Nokia phones I'll probably get the HTC 8X but damn, I wish they had blue. Who wants purple?! #firstworldproblems

Milchjon

Does this bit from The Verge review of the 8X mean what I think it means?

In striking out to create its own take on what a smartphone should feel and act like, Microsoft has created a different paradigm for organizing your workflow and apps. "Different" need not mean "worse," however, and in fact, for a lot of people Windows Phone may prove to be better. As the controversial Smoked by Windows Phone promotion demonstrated, updating your social feeds with a WP device is a legitimately frictionless affair — and now that you have Facebook integration built into the OS, using Facebook chat alongside SMS, Messenger, and all your other communications options is a cinch too.

Should I read this as "Facebook integration into messaging is a new feature"?

sammich

Ugh.. now im getting confused between the 920 and the 8x.. i know mostly about the 920, but it seems that all im reading now is about the HTC 8x and im questioning what i should get.

maeh2k

Well, that was a seriously underwhelming conference. All this cloak and dagger bullshit and nothing really to show for it. Kids corner & Live apps are nice, but not mindblowing.

The lack of technical info provided though is making my head hurt. Does WP8 support proper multitasking for instance? What are the extra CPU cores/memory being used for? What advantages does the Windows 8 kernel provide? For God's sake, give me a reason to upgrade my phone Microsoft!

I was on the fence about getting a new WP8 phone to replace my HTC HD7 this year and now I'm almost certainly waiting. Between the irritating carrier exclusives and the lack of a compelling software reason to upgrade, all enthusiasm I have for jumping in the WP8 pool this year has dried up.

Note that they didn't repeat the demonstrations of earlier presentations. E.g. they didn't really show off the wallet and speech stuff in this presentation. Some of the somewhat innocuous features like the Skype integration, the lenses, and the lockscreen backgrounds may not appear like much, but will be a really big impact during actual use.

I hope now that they've finished the move to the Windows kernel and have invested a lot of time in languages and other markets, they'll focus on feature updates.

Klocker

Does this bit from The Verge review of the 8X mean what I think it means?

Should I read this as "Facebook integration into messaging is a new feature"?

just goes to show that most clowns never actualy used the Os.. they just picked it up turned it over in their hands a few times and said.. "hmmm... not Android or iOS"

I guarantee most do not even know how deep the voice integration goes

Milchjon

It would seem that way

I still hope I'm misinterpreting it.

Not to go all "The Verge is biased" again, but the review is essentially whole lot of "great, great, great", only to finish with "no apps" and a rather average score. It discounts every single advantage due to one (overblown) disadvantage.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
just goes to show that most clowns never actualy used the Os.. they just picked it up turned it over in their hands a few times and said.. "hmmm... not Android or iOS"

I guarantee most do not even know how deep the voice integration goes

Yep. They gloss over things they wouldn't otherwise in other OS's.

Milchjon

Not related to today's news, but I just discovered that in WhatsApp you can quickly flick through all pics you've shared with someone. Just open one pic in your discussion and flick to the left.

Nice little detail.

Milchjon

Oh, and of course, in the Engadget 8X review conclusion:

Yes, the 8X is a fantastic ambassador to Windows Phone 8, but after using it for several days, we're longing for a similar phone from HTC running Android -- at least until a stronger app ecosystem develops for Microsoft's latest mobile OS.

:-D

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Now that I had some time to forget the presser I'm pumped for WP8. 8X or 920, not sure what to do. Probably won't get a device for a month yet so I have some time to mull it over. With Rogers pricing the 920 at $550 I'm really curious to see the price of the 8X. I'm guessing $500 or $550.

Milchjon

Nokia will get a charity +1 to ecosystem for their exclusives.

Nokia should get a lot of slack for their extra stuff.
Nokia Drive removes the navigation "no app found" thingy. Cinemagraph is a nice lovable gimmick, as are the other camera gimmicks.

+ some other stuff like Nokia Transport and City Lens
+ some exlusives in the Store

I totally expect them to tear it apart for the weight and apps. Undeservedly so. The only thing that sucks about the 920 so far is the carrier stuff.

(If the battery is ok, of course)

maeh2k

Nokia Drive removes the navigation "no app found" thingy.

Wonder how they'll handle Nokia Drive. They announced all OEMs (?) would get access to it if they want it. So maybe some OEMs can directly ship the phones with Nokia Drive (or an alternative) in place? Or maybe it'll be on the store for free for everyone.

MarkusRJR

Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC 8S? I like the 820 but the lack of any gorilla glass at all is scary. Normal glass on a phone means it'll probably crack on a fall. Plus the 820 just looks ugly.

On the other hand I'll be missing all the Nokia-exclusive apps if I go with a 8S. :/

EDIT: I just compared specs and the Lumia 820 only has a 1650mAh battery? Holy shit... There is no way that will last a day.

maeh2k

Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC 8S? I like the 820 but the lack of any gorilla glass at all is scary. Normal glass on a phone means it'll probably crack on a fall. Plus the 820 just looks ugly.

On the other hand I'll be missing all the Nokia-exclusive apps if I go with a 8S. :/

EDIT: I just compared specs and the Lumia 820 only has a 1650mAh battery? Holy shit... There is no way that will last a day.

The 820 does have scratch resistant glass. Just not the Gorilla Glass brand. I don't think Gorilla Glass helps much in case of a fall. It's mostly against scratches. The glass still shatters like any other when it gets dropped.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I may consider getting the 8X on Bell. I can bundle my Satellite TV and save some money, plus I can trade in my 900 for $100. Also Bell looks like it has better coverage in Western Canada.

thirty

Banned
Nokia Lumia 810:

Expected to be available on 11/14
Value Plan: $99.99 down payment after a $50 mail-in rebate card and 20 equal payments of $20 per month with a two-year service agreement on qualifying voice and data plans.
Classic Plan: $149.99 after a $50 mail-in-rebate card and with a two-year service agreement on qualifying voice and data plans

Windows Phone 8X:

Expected to be available on 11/14
Value Plan: $149.99 down payment after a $50 mail-in rebate card and 20 equal payments of $20 per month with a two-year service agreement on qualifying voice and data plans
Classic Plan: $199.99 after a $50 mail-in-rebate card and with a two-year service agreement on qualifying voice and data plans
according to the math for t-mobile's value plan, no contract pricing should be $550 for the 810 and $600 for the 8X.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
remember though, it's going to be a narrower screen due to resolution.

Get that extra tile space on the home screen, which is nice though. I would like to see app comparisons between the two resolutions.

One thing neat in the vids is that you can swipe away notifications that appear at the top of the screen.

Milchjon

Get that extra tile space on the home screen, which is nice though. I would like to see app comparisons between the two resolutions.

One thing neat in the vids is that you can swipe away notifications that appear at the top of the screen.

?

You could always do that.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
according to the math for t-mobile's value plan, no contract pricing should be $550 for the 810 and $600 for the 8X.

Welp, seems like its the 8X for me. 'Dem Nokia table scraps smh. Annoyed that the 8X doesn't have an SD slot though. The fuck mang.

SeanR1221

So lets forget apps, what OS features does WP lack compared to its competitors? I'm glad they added things like screen captures and cloud backups. Anything they forgot? Notification center and.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom