• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So lets forget apps, what OS features does WP lack compared to its competitors? I'm glad they added things like screen captures and cloud backups. Anything they forgot? Notification center and.....?

Not sure, but the Wallet Hub is superior than iOS and Androids passport/payment solutions.

Milchjon

So lets forget apps, what OS features does WP lack compared to its competitors? I'm glad they added things like screen captures and cloud backups. Anything they forgot? Notification center and.....?

Some features in the mail app, maybe. True multitasking. Something like Siri. Google Now.

Apart from the last one, I don't give a damn about any of these.

Solely counting OS level functionality, it's the best, IMO.

How is Nokia generally with reliability? One of the reasons I'm considering switching from iOS is that the home button on my iPhone 4 started to fail right around the one year mark, out of warranty. It's been frustrating to live with. I'd rather not pay Apple an extra $100 on top of their usual price premium just to make sure my phone will work until it's time to get a new one.

Also, Engadget's review gave me some concern with the "Google frustrations" section. Specifically, they said "Good luck getting private calendars to show up -- our various methods didn't turn up a way to do it." Does that mean I won't be able to use my school's calendar data, since it's a Google calendar? Do any current Windows Phone users sync up with Google calendar?

Troll

Banned
How is Nokia generally with reliability? One of the reasons I'm considering switching from iOS is that the home button on my iPhone 4 started to fail right around the one year mark, out of warranty. It's been frustrating to live with. I'd rather not pay Apple an extra $100 on top of their usual price premium just to make sure my phone will work until it's time to get a new one.

Also, Engadget's review gave me some concern with the "Google frustrations" section. Specifically, they said "Good luck getting private calendars to show up -- our various methods didn't turn up a way to do it." Does that mean I won't be able to use my school's calendar data, since it's a Google calendar? Do any current Windows Phone users sync up with Google calendar?

Nokia has a great reputation when it comes to hardware durability. It's basically a meme, even though it's directed more for the older candy bar phones.

I don't use Google for anything so I really can't help you out there.

Milchjon

I use several Google calendars with WP7. I haven't read exactly what their problem is, but unless they changed something in WP8, I don't understand it. Contacts and mail integration works (although some people seem to miss certain features of GMail).

As for Nokia's reliability, my 800 is only a year old, so I don't know. It's sturdy, everything works well, but I don't think it's perfect.

Edit: I looked up Engadgets review. They're right about Google not supporting most of their services on WP. The calendar thing I don't understand, though.

giga

Things I like:
- screenshots
- ota updates
- cloud backup
- emoji
- background voip
- wallet

Things that are cool, but aren't much use to me
- new tile sizes
- kids corner
- rooms (literally none of my friends have a WP device and I don't see them going WP8…). This needs to be cross platform for it to be of any significance.

Things I still wish for
- better browsing experience. (not requiring two taps to get to your tabs/bookmarks/thingsyouconstantlyuseinabrowser, having back/forward always shown, not being shown HTML5 videos--though this isn't really in MS's control)
- better multitasking (seems like the app list and homescreen still don't load apps in memory. what's wrong with you, belfiore?)
- notification center
- lock screen actions for apps/notifications

Anyone see Tom's take on Navteq taking over Maps?

I had high hopes for the inclusion of Nokia’s mapping technology in Windows Phone 8 across all OEMs — Bing Maps had historically lagged its competitors in data quality in my experience, and it seemed that Nokia (by way of Navteq) had a huge opportunity to improve on that.

Unfortunately, I’m not seeing it yet. The "stock" Windows Phone 8 mapping experience actually fails in a few key areas. Though you can get basic walking and driving directions by hitting the "directions" button in the Maps toolbar, choosing the directions menu item on a point of interest gives you a "you need an app for that" pop-up that’s not unlike the one iOS 6 now gives users when they try to get transit information. The list of available apps to handle direction-giving will presumably be populated with options like Nokia Drive soon, but in our early testing, none were in the Store. I don't understand why you can get a list of directions from the toolbar, but not from a POI.

Just as alarmingly, I had a terrible time with several searches I conducted. In one instance, I entered a specific street address in the Chicago suburb of Morton Grove and was pointed to a spot about two miles away; it wasn’t until I arrived in a dark alley behind an industrial park that I realized I was led astray. In another case, I searched for "starbucks" in lower Manhattan — the app zoomed out to show me all of Manhattan Island and eight or so Starbucks locations, none of which were anywhere near me. I suspect there are more than eight Starbucks in Manhattan. In fact, I’m pretty sure that I’ve been to more than eight Starbucks in Manhattan. In a single trip.

On the plus side, downloadable worldwide maps for offline mode are a welcome improvement that help Windows Phone go toe-to-toe with mapping behemoth Google on Android — anyone who’s traveled overseas without access to cheap data knows just how important this one can be. Downloaded map sections don’t appear to automatically update, but you can manually check for updates using a button in the app’s settings.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3570494/windows-phone-8-review

On the plus side, Topolsky has been raving about it on twitter. Can y'all stop ragging on his ugly, pale ass now?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
So did we get a release date?
A quick search of the other thread isn't helping. There was apparently a launch event here in Australia 2 hours ago, but can't find anything about that either.

edit: Nokia says end of November for Aus. HTC says they'll annouce in "due course" and Samsung says early December for Ativ. Lol.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Things I like:
- screenshots
- ota updates
- cloud backup
- emoji
- background voip
- wallet

- new tile sizes
- kids corner
- rooms (literally none of my friends have a WP device and I don't see them going WP8…). This needs to be cross platform for it to be of any significance.

Things I still wish for
- better browsing experience. (not requiring two taps to get to your tabs/bookmarks/thingsyouconstantlyuseinabrowser, having back/forward always shown, not being shown HTML5 videos--though this isn't really in MS's control)
- better multitasking (seems like the app list and homescreen still don't load apps in memory. what's wrong with you, belfiore?)
- notification center

On the plus side, Topolsky has been raving about it on twitter. Can y'all stop ragging on his ugly, pale ass now?

I assume he is doing the 920 review. 7 :p. probably will be an 8.2.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Things I still wish for
- better browsing experience. (not requiring two taps to get to your tabs/bookmarks/thingsyouconstantlyuseinabrowser, having back/forward always shown,

Rooms will have some cross platform features.

I do wish they worked on the browser UI a bit more. A little TOO minimalist for power users.

The maps thing is confusing. Apparently they WON'T be having all the Nokia Maps features by default on all phones? Because Nokia Maps is fantastic, and the stuff they complain about is definitely in there.

Troll

Banned
Things I like:
- screenshots
- ota updates
- cloud backup
- emoji
- background voip
- wallet

- new tile sizes
- kids corner

Things I still wish for
- notification center

The emoji looks really great. I like how the colored faces and icons. Really clean.

That Josh guy likes the attention. If he didn't he wouldn't bring it up every chance he gets.

Blackhead

Redarse

Intents from Android (or Apple's poor substitute with the 'Open In' feature).

thirty

Banned
microsoft missed a great opportunity by not showing instagram. if not instagram, microsoft should have worked with nokia to bring cinegraph to all wp8 devices and create a social app for it. instagram is boring to me but imagine a social app featuring animated cinegraphs? that shit would take off and take off fast.

giga

Rooms will have some cross platform features.

I do wish they worked on the browser UI a bit more. A little TOO minimalist for power users.

The maps thing is confusing. Apparently they WON'T be having all the Nokia Maps features by default on all phones? Because Nokia Maps is fantastic, and the stuff they complain about is definitely in there.
Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on exactly. Maybe Nokia wanted to protect some of their IP for Nokia customers. From engadget:

Unfortunately, this transition into Nokia Maps has a negative side effect: voice turn-by-turn navigation has been disabled, making it only accessible through apps that support the feature, such as Nokia Drive. It wasn't available on our review unit, however, so we weren't able to test it out.

Wired:

I’ll talk more about the lack of apps later, but first: Maps. All eyes are on Windows Phone’s mapping capability since Apple fumbled the maps in iOS 6. And alas, WP8′s built-in Maps app is suspiciously missing public transportation directions on non-Nokia devices. Windows Phone’s maps app is built on Nokia’s maps platform, and for the most part, it’s accurate and useful. But on non-Nokia phones like the HTC 8X, it looks like public transit directions didn’t make the cut, which is incredibly unfortunate. It does, however, make sense for Nokia, which wants its phones to have unique software offerings, and when you buy a Nokia Lumia phone, you’ll get an “enhanced” map app. Bare Windows Phone 8 Maps still gets the job done. It has turn-by-turn directions, downloadable offline maps, traffic updates, and aerial views. I didn’t get lost once while using the app to navigate Brooklyn on foot. In short: It works, even if you have to figure out which bus to catch and where.

Wmpoweruser has fallen so far (they were never that high) that they're now photoshopping Anandtech's charts.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6415/windows-phone-8-and-htc-8x-preview/3

It's an impressive SunSpider score, but there's clearly work left to be done in Chakra.

Milchjon

microsoft missed a great opportunity by not showing instagram. if not instagram, microsoft should have worked with nokia to bring cinegraph to all wp8 devices and create a social app for it. instagram is boring to me but imagine a social app featuring animated cinegraphs? that shit would take off and take off fast.

The appeal of Instagram is that it's pretty much impossible to take ugly pictures with it, so everyone feels like an artist. I don't trust everybody to craft really good cinemagraphs. And then there's that userbase thingy...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on exactly. Maybe Nokia wanted to protect some of their IP for Nokia customers. From engadget:

Unfortunately, this transition into Nokia Maps has a negative side effect: voice turn-by-turn navigation has been disabled, making it only accessible through apps that support the feature, such as Nokia Drive. It wasn't available on our review unit, however, so we weren't able to test it out.

Wired:

I’ll talk more about the lack of apps later, but first: Maps. All eyes are on Windows Phone’s mapping capability since Apple fumbled the maps in iOS 6. And alas, WP8′s built-in Maps app is suspiciously missing public transportation directions on non-Nokia devices. Windows Phone’s maps app is built on Nokia’s maps platform, and for the most part, it’s accurate and useful. But on non-Nokia phones like the HTC 8X, it looks like public transit directions didn’t make the cut, which is incredibly unfortunate. It does, however, make sense for Nokia, which wants its phones to have unique software offerings, and when you buy a Nokia Lumia phone, you’ll get an “enhanced” map app. Bare Windows Phone 8 Maps still gets the job done. It has turn-by-turn directions, downloadable offline maps, traffic updates, and aerial views. I didn’t get lost once while using the app to navigate Brooklyn on foot. In short: It works, even if you have to figure out which bus to catch and where.

Wmpoweruser has fallen so far (they were never that high) that they're now photoshopping Anandtech's charts.

It's an impressive SunSpider score, but there's clearly work left to be done in Chakra.

:lol need to stop going there.

SeanR1221

Some features in the mail app, maybe. True multitasking. Something like Siri. Google Now.

Apart from the last one, I don't give a damn about any of these.

Solely counting OS level functionality, it's the best, IMO.

Intents from Android (or Apple's poor substitute with the 'Open In' feature).

Thanks, keeping mental notes. It's going to be one tough decision in January.

WP7 apps run on WP8, right?

hwalker84

Wired:

[URL="http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/10/microsoft-windows-phone-8/all/"]I’ll talk more about the lack of apps later, but first: Maps. All eyes are on Windows Phone’s mapping capability since Apple fumbled the maps in iOS 6. And alas, WP8′s built-in Maps app is suspiciously missing public transportation directions on non-Nokia devices. Windows Phone’s maps app is built on Nokia’s maps platform, and for the most part, it’s accurate and useful. But on non-Nokia phones like the HTC 8X, it looks like public transit directions didn’t make the cut, which is incredibly unfortunate. It does, however, make sense for Nokia, which wants its phones to have unique software offerings, and when you buy a Nokia Lumia phone, you’ll get an “enhanced” map app. Bare Windows Phone 8 Maps still gets the job done. It has turn-by-turn directions, downloadable offline maps, traffic updates, and aerial views. I didn’t get lost once while using the app to navigate Brooklyn on foot. In short: It works, even if you have to figure out which bus to catch and where.

[/URL]

LOL! I could've sworn the chart was different when I saw the wmpoweruser from what I remembered from anandtech. Shame!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That sync app looks like the Mac app that people use now for 7.5 devices. That's a massive downgrade from my current Zune sync.

Klocker

No clue. I honestly never used it but getting rid of features isn't cool.

I take a lot of pictures for work and get a lot of pics sent to me and just capturing or saving photos that I know are in my pictures folder on my PC when I get to my desk when I need them and can drag and drop into programs is a great feature.

I guess just setting skydrive as my default folder for pics will solve that but it is more or PITA to maange.

Totakeke

I assume Wi-Fi sync requires the Zune software, so they either decided it wasn't worth putting back in or just didn't have the time.

if only it were 4.5 or bigger. :(
Yeah that's my problem with the 8X. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I love the screen size of my Titan (4.7). The 920 wouldn't really be much of a downgrade, but going down to 4.3 isn't something I'd like to do.

So this is Nokia ESPN app?
NokiaESPNApp.jpg

If so, I'm actually okay with the will never be updated version, the layout is much better than that waste of space.

I was hoping Commodore would check in but I guess he's too busy with his baby.

At least he has something to be excited about. Congratulation on the new born and best of luck wherever you are reading this. You didn't miss anything at Microsoft conference or NeoGaf thread ... just bunch of us whiney Windows Phone being Debbie downer.

Commodore

wGOZU.jpg

Lil' Commodore. Still in mind blown mode. So tired. Pretty amazing stuff.

What little I gathered on news today pretty much amounted to, where the hell is my preorder date and price for my 920? Damn Microsoft, this was all I wanted to know. Again mind blown they managed to skip that one important piece of info. Eeh, oh well, Nokia will get one more day under the hot lights to themselves looks like. Just be soon, I got millions of pictures to take.

frontieruk

I'm going to try and go hands on with it either Wednesday or this weekend. I am excite!

I'll take pics and share them on here with you guys. He had more pics of the event, but they were essentially creep shots of you know who.

I fail at this thread, I don't know who 😡

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom