• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimiNutz

Banned
Has anyone actually managed to order a 920 on EE in the UK?
Their site won't launch for me today and Phones 4 U still just have it listed as coming soon.

This is a complete mess.
Worst launch ever lol.

frontieruk

Has anyone actually managed to order a 920 on EE in the UK?
Their site won't launch for me today and Phones 4 U still just have it listed as coming soon.

This is a complete mess.
Worst launch ever lol.

I assume by that it means you have to take an EE contract to get a 920? I missed the Cong and haven't had a chance to catch up.

JimiNutz

Banned
I assume by that it means you have to take an EE contract to get a 920? I missed the Cong and haven't had a chance to catch up.

I think it's EE exclusive for now but Phones 4 U also have it listed under 'coming soon' section. Not sure how long the exclusivity is for. If you def don't want it on EE I think your best bet would be contacting Phones 4 U to find one when they think they'll be getting it.

Will be ordering mine on EE today.

derFeef

Dunno why I dismissed Nokia Music, it's really neat, love the Mix feature.
But that I can't skip ahead of tracks annoys me a bit, or might this be a bug/limitation for free streaming?

Milchjon

I might dive into developing an app soon, any area I should devote my time to?

Keep in mind, I'm a complete beginner, so I probably won't be able to improve upon stuff that already exists.

hadareud

The Translator
Just called Orange regarding the Lumia 920.

They will have it in black (only colour they'll do) and it should be available either Friday or Monday. They offered it to me for 39.99 on my current contract (18 months, 35 quid, unlimited data).

Tempting, very tempting. Though I'd really prefer yellow or gray.

Let's see what happens in the next few days. I've pre-ordered the yellow one from Expansys a few weeks ago, but they haven't released a price yet. If it's around 450 pounds I still think I'll go for that and go with Giffgaff/go with a cheaper contract with Orange.

edit: just got an email from digital-phone.co.uk that they are getting stock of the black on the 5th (470 pounds).
edit 2: they just responded that they're getting the yellow on Monday too - pre ordering it now, how exiting :)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

They will have it in black (only colour they'll do) and it should be available either Friday or Monday. They offered it to me for 39.99 on my current contract (18 months, 35 quid, unlimited data).

Let's see what happens in the next few days. I've pre-ordered the yellow one from Expansys a few weeks ago, but they haven't released a price yet. If it's around 450 pounds I still think I'll go for that and go with Giffgaff/go with a cheaper contract with Orange.

edit: just got an email from digital-phone.co.uk that they are getting stock of the black on the 5th (470 pounds).

Shame it's black but that's not a bad deal.

I'm holding out for red.

edit 2: they just responded that they're getting the yellow on Monday too - pre ordering it now, how exiting :)

well, this changes everything. any idea if they're getting a grey or, heaven forbid, a cyan?

i'm trying to find out how to email orange directly & can't. what is it with companies & their reluctance to letting us email them! >:0

also, logged in to my orange account & saw this:

You have an overdue balance of £0.00. Until the outstanding balance has been paid online access to this account will be restricted to making a payment and viewing your bills.

ha!

That would be tough for a beginner.

I believe in Milchjon.

I'm not well versed in the whole reader thing, can you give a brief description of what you want and maybe the top 10 features you would want in an app such as that?

You know Reeder for iOS? Copy that one.

K6gMv.jpg

It's always the simple looking things that are so hard to create.

Simple list view ("All unread items" is pretty much all I use)
Excellent mobilizer (I had the best experience with Readability)
good layout when mobilized (see screenshot)
Night mode (something even Reeder lacks)

How I use Google Reader:
I usually have 400-800 unread items (or more after some big announcement or event)
I skim through the headlines
If there's a news article that interests me (1 out of 10 articles), I tap on it, want to read the whole content and go back to the all unread items list
For longer articles I simply star them and move on (I'll read them later on Flipboard)
When I'm done, I tap on "mark all as read"

High scrolling performance and not having to load the actual website is basically my highest priority. Give me the content without any extra steps. I don't want new suggestions or stuff from sites I don't visit (I got Flipboard for that). Just the feeds I've subscribed.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
scroll
scroll
scroll
GIANT BABY
scroll

Funny, I didn't see Commodore's pic on the previous page so I thought you were talking about people complaining. Congrats to Commodore by the way.

After sleeping on it, I'm still pretty excited. My only concerns at this point is being able to get the 920 in Cyan or possibly getting the 8X.

JaggedSac

What is the process that this Reeder app gets feed lists? Does it use a person's Google Reader configuration, allow imports of other feed lists, or does the user manually add each feed?

Also, would you be looking for a reader that stores information like starred or unread on the server side so that you can use it on other devices?

Gav

Woah. Big news. Definitely SIM free then?! I ask, as i have just seen that all of P4U's handsets are apparently locked to EE.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nokia Canada tweeting a blog post about colours and then only offering black in Canada drives me crazy. Like many others, Nokia is going to push me towards HTC.

What is the process that this Reeder app gets feed lists? Does it use a person's Google Reader configuration, allow imports of other feed lists, or does the user manually add each feed?

Also, would you be looking for a reader that stores information like starred or unread on the server side so that you can use it on other devices?

It simply synchronizes with the user's Google Reader account. You don't manually import or add urls within the app.

I'd want it to sync the read/unread and starred articles back to my Google Reader account. I only star longer articles or editorials, because I prefer to read them later at home in Flipboard (better layout on a bigger screen).

JaggedSac

It simply synchronizes with the user's Google Reader account. You don't manually import or add urls within the app.

I'd want it to sync the read/unread and starred articles back to my Google Reader account. I only star longer articles or editorials, because I prefer to read them later at home in Flipboard (better layout on a bigger screen).

Cool thanks.

Milchjon

Short Verge interview with Joe Belfiore

I thought this was interesting:

"The four I would say that are missing that count as the top 50 are Instagram, Viber, Pinterest, and Wells Fargo," says Belfiore. "If you look broadly at download numbers and usage and engagement those are the ones for us are top priority."

I have Viber on my Lumia already, and there are a few Pinterest clients in the store. So really, Instagram is the big one.

Wow, Joe went full Reggie.

Belfiore explained on stage at the company's Windows Phone 8 event that it now has 46 out of the top 50 apps from rival platforms. "The four I would say that are missing that count as the top 50 are Instagram, Viber, Pinterest, and Wells Fargo," says Belfiore. "If you look broadly at download numbers and usage and engagement those are the ones for us are top priority."

"WE ARE GOING TO KEEP COMING BACK."

Some may argue — us included — that there are many more top apps missing, but Belfiore insists the company is being aggressive about landing the remainder. "We're actively working on everything. From our perspective we're going to keep working with everybody who has got a meaningful app." Microsoft isn't taking no for an answer when it comes to reaching out to these top developers. "We are going to keep coming back. You might get one answer today, you might get another answer later," he says. "We're not done until we've checked all the boxes."
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/30/3573760/joe-belfiore-windows-phone-interview

Check the boxes, Joe!

WP8 seems to open apps a lot quicker than WP7. Just watched a video in the pocketnow review where they opened IMDB and compared that to opening it on my Optimus 7. A lot faster.

Faster hardware will do that, yes.

MCD

Languages

Remember how difficult it was to get a certain language installed on Windows Phone 7? The CAB installers and all that? With Windows Phone 8, changing languages is extremely easy. Just go to the speech or keyboard settings and you’ll find the list of languages. The ones that are not already installed have a file size listed. All you have to do to download and install that language is tap it. It will download and install the language tight there (though it will require a reboot).

http://pocketnow.com/2012/10/29/windows-phone-8-review

YES YES YES

Guys, I need help
My Omnia 7 refuses to sync with the new Windows Phone app for Windows 8.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers and everything. It synced fine with Zune Software.
It just isn't recognized in the Windows Phone app.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Rogers confirmed on their blog that the 920 is shipping to people who pre-ordered and some will be going to select stores. Still black only. Rogers and Nokia piss me off.

Sordid

Guys, I need help

I've tried reinstalling the drivers and everything. It synced fine with Zune Software.

The Windows Phone app is only for Windows Phone 8 iirc, we have to stick with Zune.

hadareud

The Translator
If no-one offers a cyan 920 soon I'll probably go for the yellow one from there, thanks for the heads up.

I'll let you know how I get on with them.

One thing that's annoying is that they'll only ship to your billing address, so I'll have to work from home the day I'll get it. Oh, hold on, that's a good thing.

Guys, I need help

The Windows Phone app for Windows 8 is only for Windows Phone 8 phones. If you want to synchronize your Windows Phone 7 phone, you'll have to keep using Zune.

I hope that made sense.

PG2G

so is there a list of these 46 apps that are coming out...or do we have to wait some more to see that list?

They didn't say 46 apps are coming out, they said they will have 46 of the top 50. We probably already have like 35 of them in WP7.

It sounds stupid to me.
Make an app for your new OS and not support the Phone OS that most of your base is STILL on.

WP7 and WP8 are so different under the hood that it makes sense that they are different applications. It is not like the new one does anything special. It actually seems a bit worse than Zune, IMO.

They didn't say 46 apps are coming out, they said they will have 46 of the top 50. We probably already have like 35 of them in WP7.

WP7 and WP8 are so different under the hood that it makes sense that they are different applications. It is not like the new one does anything special. It actually seems a bit worse than Zune, IMO.

lame, ive been getting hit up recently by some friends to play a game, wonder if its on there...or i'll just have to sit this one out just like i have been since i got my HD7 :(

G.Newell

Is EE the only place to get the lumia 920 in the UK atm? I really wanted to upgrade to it from my aging HD7 but the prices on there website are far too much for me especially with them not having cyan colour.

At this rate i might be forced to jump ship to the S3 as its far cheaper while offering more, would be hard going from the windows UI though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom