• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundr51

Not sure if this is the right place to ask these but..

1. Whatever happened to the Gaf app? Using that secondapps thing is a pain mostly because I have to switch to mobile format.

2. If you have a developer unlocked phone I could use some help testing an app I wrote, it's basically a notebook for combos for your fav fighting games. It's working OK now, but could use an opinion or 2.

JaggedSac

MS Nerd really talks with enough detail to make it seem like he knows stuff. I'll choose to believe him for now

Quote:
@MS_nerd: #tip MS has not finalized upgrade plans for WP8 because currently user data needs to be backed up, followed by ROM flash & reinstall of apps

Quote:
@MS_nerd: #tip Carriers don't want customers coming to the store to get their devices flashed with WP8 ROMs. Microsoft is trying to automate it.

Seems plausible too.

This supports my theory.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
2. If you have a developer unlocked phone I could use some help testing an app I wrote, it's basically a notebook for combos for your fav fighting games. It's working OK now, but could use an opinion or 2.

PM me too.

Edit: Hey guys, check out Incredible Circus. Its a game funded by a Nokia institute, but it's available in all phones.

Edit #2: Paul Thurrot just confirmed that NONE of the current windows phone devices will be getting Apollo. He also states that we won't even get a subset of the features (like some were hoping for), nor will we be able to pay for the update. He says none of the current phones can run Apollo.

Blackhead

Redarse
PM me too.

Edit: Hey guys, check out Incredible Circus. Its a game funded by a Nokia institute, but it's available in all phones.

Edit #2: Paul Thurrot just confirmed that NONE of the current windows phone devices will be getting Apollo. He also states that we won't even get a subset of the features (like some were hoping for), nor will we be able to pay for the update. He says none of the current phones can run Apollo.

:(

giga

If this does end up true, I'm out. I've always recommended the platform to family members who wanted to go for low end Android devices too. I'm not sure what to tell them…

PG2G

I still don't think Thurrott and Mary Jo know for sure. Guess we'll see.

I'm getting the impression that nobody knows for sure at this point, likely including Microsoft.

"we just don't know, we just don't know!"

Mango will be finalized by the end of 2011, and while Microsoft recently promised to ship this release to customers by the end of the year as well, my sources tell me that schedule is a near impossibility.
http://www.windowsitpro.com/article.../First-Windows-Phone-7-Software-Update-on-Tap

Just saying.

Sounds like a nice idea, but not being able to access that info inside a third party app isn't cool.

What? It's up to the dev.

Paul Thurrott said:
First, there’s no economic imperative; Microsoft’s partners have sold very few Windows Phones and supporting a new platform on legacy hardware would be expensive. Second, the experience would be terrible; Windows Phone 8 is based on Windows 8, not Windows Phone 7.x, and requires headier, higher-end hardware with two or more core processors. Third, handset makers and wireless carriers would never support this upgrade; they want to sell new phones. And finally, wireless carriers would never, ever, ever, ever deliver this update to users. There is just no way this will ever happen. And that’s true even when you factor out that I know for a fact that this is not happening. Again. Sorry.

MS's actions so far haven't indicated they're afraid of losing money if it eventually leads to a foothold in the smartphone market.

Windows Phone 8 is going to REQUIRE dual core processors, at least? I thought it was just supported. What happens to low-end WP market?

As far as wireless carriers go...why should their wants have an impact? You could make a case for "carriers won't allow it" for ANY mobile OS upgrade--of course carriers would want you to buy a new phone. It hasn't impacted the upgradability of iOS/Android phones (to an extent).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If this does end up true, I'm out. I've always recommended the platform to family members who wanted to go for low end Android devices too. I'm not sure what to tell them…

I think for them, its fine. It'll probably be fine for my wife as well. I'm now debating whether she should return her Lumia, but she loves it and she is happy with the apps and functionality, so I'm not sure what I would accomplish by moving her to Android.

Me, on the other hand, I'm probably out too for my upgrade next year. If I can wait that long. Its really shitty that Tango is the only update to look forward to. My phone, which I just bought last November, won't be getting any significant OS updates, and to make it even worse, the app situation is likely to worsen by the release of Apollo as devs focus on that. So in less than a year my phone will be left behind by MS and developers. Not as bad as what they're doing to the Lumia 900 owners, but still shitty.

PG2G

There has to be a solution to the app problem, I just don't know what it is. There will be Tango phones being released in Q3 (Lumia 610 NFC) and Nokia wants to push prices down even further.

Cipherr

Continue telling them WP. Low tier Android is still shit for the short term future. This next wave which will push stuff like the S2, Rezound, Photon and the like into the Cheap/Free tier will remedy that situation a great deal, but thats still another 4 to 6 months off at least, until then even a Lumia 900 that will get no update is a better device far an away.

I think for them, its fine. It'll probably be fine for my wife as well. I'm now debating whether she should return her Lumia, but she loves it and she is happy with the apps and functionality, so I'm not sure what I would accomplish by moving her to Android.

Nothing would be gained, you are right, if she likes the phone, leave it be. I think this is more of a big deal to us, than it will be for others. Smartphone age calls me an apologist, and shortsighted whenever I say that, but its true. The 900's aren't going to stop working. Most people will just attribute the WP8 rollout as 'new phones that are newer than the one I have from earlier this year'.

derFeef

My colleagues really love my 800. Weirdly enough they were shrugging off the omnia 7 - I guess the hardware/build quality still matters.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There has to be a solution to the app problem, I just don't know what it is. There will be Tango phones being released in Q3 (Lumia 610 NFC) and Nokia wants to push prices down even further.

I think the "solution" will be the exact same thing they are doing with Tango phones right now: 7.5 phones will only see a subset of the marketplace. Any apps that devs mark as "Apollo only" we won't see in our market. Of course, the problem with that is that all the cool, high end apps that use native api's provided by Apollo cannot run for us if we are not allowed to have at least the new Apollo firmware. The best apps, and apps that offer new functionality provided by the new native coding in Apollo will not trickle down to us wp7.5 peasants.

PG2G

Man, it better be REALLY easy for developers to go from Windows 8 to Windows Phone 8, because if nobody wanted to make apps for our market before, imagine how few people would make Windows Phone 8 apps.

Commodore

Still withholding judgment. But thinking about it, just seems what outrage I could muster kind of seems silly when this type of thing is commonplace on Android and they hold 50%. Maybe its because we all very used to the fact all of us are having the same OS experience. It'll be the first time we're getting splintered. Kinda jarring. Maybe the Android guys can come in here and we can hug it out. But most of us are about due for an upgrade this year that bought in on the first handsets. Looking forward to it if we are getting a nice spec jump. But till I hear officially, not jumping to conclusions.

Fjolle

So... They created a mobile OS that REQUIRES dual core? As far as i can read the desktop version doesn't even require that...

And as Anton Sugar said, it's not like they have been thinking on their economics with regards to promoting windows phone until now.

gcubed

Still withholding judgment. But thinking about it, just seems what outrage I could muster kind of seems silly when this type of thing is commonplace on Android and they hold 50%. Maybe its because we all very used to the fact all of us are having the same OS experience. It'll be the first time we're getting splintered. Kinda jarring. Maybe the Android guys can come in here and we can hug it out. But most of us are about due for an upgrade this year that bought in on the first handsets. Looking forward to it if we are getting a nice spec jump. But till I hear officially, not jumping to conclusions.

the only difference is the big difference in coding between WP8 and WP7. There are very few apps that are restricted to the newest version of android, and almost everything they use is forward compatible.

Doffen

So... They created a mobile OS that REQUIRES dual core? As far as i can read the desktop version doesn't even require that...

I’ve heard that they are going to stealth launch it and only allow Island and Svalbard to buy apps from Marketplace.

GJS

Anyone used/tried the Steam friends app? I am not sure if it's secure, even though the dev writes how it works in his blog.

It seems secure, it uses the STEAM API too. When you sign in you have to do the steam guard code, and STEAM recognises it as Mobile in your status unlike the other work around clients.

ChanHuk

Banned
the whole point is to be uncomplicated.. I love not seeing that chit at the top of my screen all the friggin time

I guess its complicated to have a status bar ontop of the screen....I mean its on pretty much every electronic device since the inception of a display screen......nothing like fixing something that was never broken.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I guess its complicated to have a status bar ontop of the screen....I mean its on pretty much every electronic device since the inception of a display screen......nothing like fixing something that was never broken.

Will you do us all a favor and sell me your lumia? I'm serious, pm me a reasonable price.

It's so the OS screen have clean look. It does take some getting used to coming from iOS where that stuff is always on screen. I do like the clean look but I understand your complain if you are the type that need to know your connection / battery at all time.

Aren't you going back to iPhone anyway? I have a feeling there will be flood of Lumia on eBay and I should just wait to buy one "used" then.

That is absolute bollocks that WP8 needs at least dual core.

My take on the update is not the hardware but carriers. Until Microsoft offer to service the phone it will be uphill battle. I called At&t support recently about my phone not connecting to data after it came off Plane Mode (even when it show 4G connection), I knew it's a bug in HTC firmware and their answer to me was "We don't support the use of Plane Mode" another troubleshooter (reading off her binder) told me why I go into Plane Mode instead of shutting the phone off ... I told here I can still use WiFi at work when I don't get signal, she told me that I should just use work computer. I LOL.

I really don't understand if the whole point of Windows Phone Tango is to get it to lower hardware requirement, then Windows Phone 8 is essentially a new OS and they are saying they will have two OS? One for low end and one for high end? I have a feeling Microsoft really don't know where they want to go with their OS.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Welp. I have no clue what's going on anymore. This cluster fuck is going no where. I wish MS would say something.

They probably figure the general public isn't listening or reading any of this so they have no need to comment. The problem is the general public doesn't give a flying fuck about their OS at this point either. So the people that are paying attention to all off this hubbub are the few people that actually care about the OS. You'd figure MS would at least want to keep the few meagerly customers it already has happy.

I really don't understand if the whole point of Windows Phone Tango is to get it to lower hardware requirement, then Windows Phone 8 is essentially a new OS and they are saying they will have two OS? One for low end and one for high end? I have a feeling Microsoft really don't know where they want to go with their OS.

Yeah, this is a big feeling why I think Thurrott's claim (at least part of them) are bullshit. WP8 is going to require dual-core processors, when MS is trying to push into cheaper markets?

Fjolle

My take on the update is not the hardware but carriers. Until Microsoft offer to service the phone it will be uphill battle. I called At&t support recently about my phone not connecting to data after it came off Plane Mode (even when it show 4G connection), I knew it's a bug in HTC firmware and their answer to me was "We don't support the use of Plane Mode" another troubleshooter (reading off her binder) told me why I go into Plane Mode instead of shutting the phone off ... I told here I can still use WiFi at work when I don't get signal, she told me that I should just use work computer. I LOL.

If it was the carriers they wouldn't have any problems distribution the update to (almost) everywhere but USA.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Thurrott went even further on Windows Weekly, calling it "inconceivable" that current devices will get updates given the difference in hardware requirements, and Mary Jo agreed, saying now is a good time given the low market penetration of wp7.

Both of them seem pretty convinced that it's just not happening, and that furthermore, its not worth the time and expense to MS to try to "cram" Apollo, or even a subset, into existing hardware.

I hope the Lumia continues to sell well, maybe then it will be worth it for MS.

Klocker

yea..well then replace "complicated" with cluttered and ugly

Thurrott went even further on Windows Weekly, calling it "inconceivable" that current devices will get updates given the difference in hardware requirements, and Mary Jo agreed, saying now is a good time given the low market penetration of wp7.

Both of them seem pretty convinced that it's just not happening, and that furthermore, its not worth the time and expense to MS to try to "cram" Apollo, or even a subset, into existing hardware.

I hope the Lumia continues to sell well, maybe then it will be worth it for MS.

I still don't understand. Why dedicate the time and money on Tango if those devices will be obsolete within a year?

Oh, right. It's Microsoft!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
At this rate Tango devices will be obsolete in way less than a year. They'll be obsolete in like 6 months when MS pulls the WP7 plug.

It also makes me wonder why they even bothered with pushing Nokia to release the 900 so late in the game. Seems like Nokia should have just put all of their energy into a day 1 Apollo Jesus phone outside of the 800. I mean they had to do extra work like getting LTE ready early for the 900 since it was suppose to be an Apollo feature. Should have just ran with the 800 in the EU and called it a day.

JaggedSac

All this seems just too crazy. Devs that will be working with WP8 APIs would effectively have a user base of 0 to start with. Doesn't seem feasible at this point.

hwalker84

Guys this doesn't make sense even for MS's dumb asses.

They aren't going to push several million Nokia devices and not bring the next version of WP which brings it feature parity to the competition to the phone they just conned millions of people into getting. Its not going to happen people. Developers are going to have no install base for WP apps if that happens. This isn't the time to hit the reset button.

PG2G

I've been listening to that podcast for a long time and neither of them are anywhere near technical enough to make that assumption. In fact, they aren't technical at all.

Well, I'm going to leave the topic alone until its announced officially (or some more rumors, haha).

Piper Az

Guys this doesn't make sense even for MS's dumb asses.

They aren't going to push several million Nokia devices and not bring the next version of WP which brings it feature parity to the competition to the phone they just conned millions of people into getting. Its not going to happen people. Developers are going to have no install base for WP apps if that happens. This isn't the time to hit the reset button.

I hate to think about it, but WP7 may be MS' 2nd Kin...ugh.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
battle of the ecosystems indeed. wp7 vs wp8, fight!!!

Wp8 wins handily. It can run wp7 apps while the opposite isn't true. And that, right there, is why not getting at least a subset of Apollo is horrible news for device owners with no upgrade in sight. Like my wife and I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom