• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you all think MS would consider, at all, some sort of trade-in/upgrade program if current gen devices couldn't upgrade to Apollo?

I don't know, bros. I fucking love my WP and will recommend it to just about anyone, but continually questioning MS's decisions is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

jagowar

You know Apollo is based on Windows 8, right?

having the underlying stuff on win8 doesn't really solve any problems.... standardizing the ui and all the front facing stuff in conjunction with unifying the backend stuff would solve most of the problems windows phone currently has.

Also would help with app problem too in that people would not be able to ignore a unified pc/tablet/phone os. Sure there might be porting from win8 to wp8 but since they will not be exactly the same thing I am certain we will see devs continue to ignore windows phone and only do the bare minimum (see all the devs who can't be bothered to do a simple recompile their apps for fast switching)

ChanHuk

Banned
Do you all think MS would consider, at all, some sort of trade-in/upgrade program if current gen devices couldn't upgrade to Apollo?

I don't know, bros. I fucking love my WP and will recommend it to just about anyone, but continually questioning MS's decisions is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

They could. Look at the Windows Phone Challenge. Who gives out free out of contract phones? Microsoft did, got a Lumia 900 for standing 30 minutes in line and recycling my old Blackberry worth maybe $40. Its not like they don't have the money to so it. I think the chargeback account on my receipt said something like 2.5 million.

jagowar

Besides the technical impossibility, you dont want "real" Windows 8 on these phones.

I absolutely would want win8 RT on my phone.... esp after running the dev preview. Only having to pay once for apps alone would be worth it.

I still hope nokia makes a galaxy note like device because event that would be close enough for me.

How would you guys feel if a charms bar ala W8 replaced the capacitive buttons in WP8?

I actually wouldn't mind this at all, and am hoping there is a lot more consistency in overall UI design between WP8 and W8. However, not having any idea how touch screens work, I don't know if it would be possible on smart phones, given their size. I do think swiping from the side, itself, is very intuitive.

thirty

Banned
you guys act as if all your mango phones would cease up and not work once apollo is released. the apps will still come as mango refresh will still be the lowest common denominator for development for quite some time. heck, do you guys expect makers like nokia to drop the low end smartphone market? no, it's exactly what nokia needs right now. mango refresh phones will continue on as the low cost alternative to symbian and cheap android.

personally, i think 2nd gen phones will be upgraded to apollo.

PG2G

having the underlying stuff on win8 doesn't really solve any problems.... standardizing the ui and all the front facing stuff in conjunction with unifying the backend stuff would solve most of the problems windows phone currently has.

Also would help with app problem too in that people would not be able to ignore a unified pc/tablet/phone os. Sure there might be porting from win8 to wp8 but since they will not be exactly the same thing I am certain we will see devs continue to ignore windows phone and only do the bare minimum (see all the devs who can't be bothered to do a simple recompile their apps for fast switching)

Ugh, why would you want to standardize the UI? They are in similar styles, but the interface for a 50" TV is not optimal on a 24" screen is not optimal on a 4" screen.

BTW, I think the snapped apps in Windows 8 are the perfect segue to Windows Phone 8 ports.

PG2G

you guys act as if all your mango phones would cease up and not work once apollo is released. the apps will still come as mango refresh will still be the lowest common denominator for development for quite some time. heck, do you guys expect makers like nokia to drop the low end smartphone market? no, it's exactly what nokia needs right now. mango refresh phones will continue on as the low cost alternative to symbian and cheap android.

So then, where will the WP8 apps be? At some point (soon, if Windows 8 takes off), people will stop doing WP7 and start doing WP8.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

personally, i think 2nd gen phones will be upgraded to apollo.

I want to believe. My brother is in a good situation he got an Optimus 7 free with no contract at Telus. I will most likely upgrade next year anyways.

thirty

Banned
So then, where will the WP8 apps be? At some point (soon, if Windows 8 takes off), people will stop doing WP7 and start doing WP8.
nokia will sell a gazillion mango refresh (tango) phones in china, india, mexico, etc, i don't see development stopping for WP7, i see it growing.

hwalker84

nokia will sell a gazillion mango refresh (tango) phones in china, india, mexico, etc, i don't see development stopping for WP7, i see it growing.

Lets hope they do. Their stock is plummeting and they lost 1.7 billion in sales Q1 of 2012. Android is kicking their ass in China. They really need the 610 to move major units.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
even if microsoft does not update the current phones to the new OS (which i sill doubt) they will still support current hardware for a long time. They have a pretty good history with supporting older stuff.
when are WP8 set to launch anyways =/
Windows 8 will probably hit general availability around October, so you will see Windows Phone hardware around that time frame at the earliest.

JaggedSac

Ok, if what MS_Nerd says is true, I think I know what the situation is. MS is seeing exactly what of their devices will be able to run W8 without issues. Makes no sense to give a device list that is eligible before they have tested everything.

Or, they are testing on the 610 to see if future devices within that spec can be released with W8.

Fjolle

Ok, if what MS_Nerd says is true, I think I know what the situation is. MS is seeing exactly what of their devices will be able to run W8 without issues. Makes no sense to give a device list that is eligible before they have tested everything.

Or, they are testing on the 610 to see if future devices within that spec can be released with W8.

OR... They know what devices it will run on already (all of them) (as they're only like a month or two from announcing it), and they're testing it on a 610 because its a WP device and they need to test it on a device.

Windu

I'll ask duckroll to close this thread till Microsoft comments on this issue.

That will show them!
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

PG2G

So then... there is nothing to get excited about WP8 because none of the apps will take advantage of the new capabilities?

OR... They know what devices it will run on already (all of them) (as they're only like a month or two from announcing it), and they're testing it on a 610 because its a WP device and they need to test it on a device.
Or it really won't run on any current WP devices and MS_nerd is full of shit.

Verizon is keeping up the trolling and is making more sick jokes.

Verizon Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo, speaking on a conference call today, said he was "fully supportive" of Microsoft and talked about the need for a third mobile ecosystem in the industry.

Verizon believes that it can drive the adoption of Windows Phone devices just as it drove sales of Android with its Droid franchise.

"We created the Android platform from the beginning and it is an incredible platform today that we helped to create, and we are looking to do the same thing with a third ecosystem," Shammo said.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57416405-94/will-verizon-throw-its-weight-behind-windows-phone/

gcubed

the same places were even cheaper android phones are selling today?

this magical low cost market is already catered to

PG2G

Well, ideally you'll get a much better performing Windows Phone on the same hardware as a lesser performing Android phone. There is still room to take over since low end Android phones are so garbage.

You think customers are going to notice that?

Also, once low end Android phones start getting ICS and better specs I imagine they'll perform pretty well.

ChanHuk

Banned
You think customers are going to notice that?

Also, once low end Android phones start getting ICS and better specs I imagine they'll perform pretty well.

Cheap ICS won't happen anytime soon. Carriers want to keep ICS on high end devices for awhile to maximize profit.

i doubt that is a coincidence.

ytMuh.jpg

Raistlin

February 2011 Nokia announces Windows Phone strategy.
April 2012 Nokia releases the Lumia 900

That is fail right there.
The problem is, first, the N9 (which I assume you're referring to) didn't actually release until the end of September.

Second, the HW is actually totally different anyway. They weren't 're-releasing' anything.

Windu

http://i.imgur.com/ytMuh.jpg
heh yeah i saw that awhile back. i wonder if that is a emulator or not. I'm sure it wouldn't take much time (if at all) to get that app working on Windows though.

Anyway, i think its pretty clear that Microsoft's whole strategy is to use their traditional PC market to help drive application development for their new touch screen UIs. Having the 1/4 snap state the same resolution (wide) as Windows Phone just confirms it even more.

frontieruk

heh yeah i saw that awhile back. i wonder if that is a emulator or not. I'm sure it wouldn't take much time (if at all) to get that app working on Windows though.

The article it's from says the win 8 is from an emulator but it started being tested internally from the end of march so I'm not sure what hardware that would be on...

JaggedSac

I can personally vouch for android being complete shit on low end devices. A year and a half of using a Droid Eris was plenty of time for me to decide to ditch Android.

Raistlin

That's weatherflow. It has more infos on the back of the tile. The app is quite nice and the tile is really reliable - I would recommend it.
The thing I'm confused about though is how it's worth the money?

Unless something has changed, doesn't it essentially do nothing beyond daily temp/precip and has a really cool live tile? Don't get me wrong, it looks fantastic and I love the dev ... but what exactly are we paying for?

Free weather apps give you detailed forecasts when you click the day, hourly forecasts, maps, weather cams, etc. This does so little.

If they are going to allow the handset maker to put their shitty OS on top of Metro, I might as well get Android device or go back to iOS. The good news just keep on coming, no wonder Brandon Watson left the team.
At least from what I read earlier, it doesn't really sound like that at all.

Sounds more like their adding hooks for certain features so OEMs and providers can integrate services into hubs. For example, integrate VoIP so it looks as though it's part of the normal phone hub ... integrate messaging so it looks like SMS ... integrate stuff into Zune so things like AT&T radio is built in ... integrate custom stuff into the camera ... etc. If that's the case, it's actually pretty cool.

The bigger question is will those hooks be available to devs? Imagine having Google Voice appear to be built in? Or Instagram? Or the ability to play FLAC, etc? If those things could be done without what appears to be separate apps, it would be amazing.

Having a techinical issue: Lumia 900 with my stock Dodge 430N e center in my Avenger. The Blutooth streaming from Zune keeps breaking up when playing music. Any ideas?
Yeah I noticed this. Pausing and then hitting play seems to fix it. Hopefully they'll get a fix out for this.

Looks like the Phone Beta Test never stopped :D

If I buy Lumia 900 off contract do I still get 100 credit if I have it activate before Apr 21st or does it only apply to on contract device?
I was told you still get it, but only if you activate it by then. Purchase date has nothing to do with it. It has to be linked to a contract (whether the contract is new or pre-existing).

I bought mine off contract with the plan to sell it once a high-end Apollo phone with PureView hits.

I refuse to believe that MS would be this stupid. If they can't update the phones it would be better for them to say it now than to wait till a month or two before they ship the OS.
It's the Verge extrapolating again.

He recanted the statement that 'all phones will get Apollo'. That doesn't confirm the converse however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom