• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Yes yes yes.

0004.gif

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Just finished setting up a HTC Radar 4G for my old Man on Windmobile.ca
its only 50bucks for the phone and 25$ a month no contract..
Data is limited but he'll mostly be using Wifi for data stuff.

After using an Iphone for 3 years..I'm really surprised how a low end windows 7.5 phone is really quite nice..he's blown away coming from a really old bad Huawei cheap cellphone.

microsoft's conference call is going on now, don't know if it's new info but they mentioned the number of Windows Phone apps has increased by 50% in the last 3 months.

Yes, yes they are. I enjoyed the iPad 2 w/retina display and the iPhone 5 redesign feels so good in my hand.

You're not saying anything here.

The Verge is a reliable and trustworthy source of tech news, it's not like some random rumor blog or whatever.

Yes, they've been wrong in the past but they've also been right.

ChanHuk

Banned
Can carriers do that? Do they do this with iOS and Android? Or is MS such a small fish in the pond that the carriers can boss them around?

All of iOS' updates are done through Apple directly. The only phones that gets updates through Google are the Nexus phones I believe. All the others are at the mercy of carriers.

One thing I noticed that annoys me. No status bar, I like to see what time it is or my connection every now and then.

giga

All of iOS' updates are done through Apple directly. The only phones that gets updates through Google are the Nexus phones I believe. All the others are at the mercy of carriers.

One thing I noticed that annoys me. No status bar, I like to see what time it is or my connection every now and then.
Not all Nexus phones apparently. I was told in the Android thread that if you bought a GN from a carrier, then the carrier is responsible for your update.

PG2G

MS Nerd really talks with enough detail to make it seem like he knows stuff. I'll choose to believe him for now

@MS_nerd: #tip MS has not finalized upgrade plans for WP8 because currently user data needs to be backed up, followed by ROM flash & reinstall of apps

@MS_nerd: #tip Carriers don't want customers coming to the store to get their devices flashed with WP8 ROMs. Microsoft is trying to automate it.

Seems plausible too.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Makes sense, nvidia have been pushing hard to get tegra into windows tablets, so its not a big leap into smartphones.

It's no leap honestly since the two platforms are going to share the same kernel. Nvidia seems to be slow on updating though so the Tegra chips themselves don't seem as good as they look on the road. Still solid though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Works brillant on the homescreen. Everywhere else like you would normally be.......yeah.

You can swipe it down in mail, you can hit the elipsis in ie9 to see the status Tasker etc. Third party apps are full screen by design, but you can always hold the back button and swipe down on the multi-tasker. Then just tap back on the app without losing your place provided its a mango-updated app.

Commodore

Great. Now TechCrunch is trolling away too.

I can say one thing without equivocation: Windows Phone is better than Android. WinPho is monolithic, there are no clear issues with branching or hardware compatibility (today’s news notwithstanding), and WinPho’s UI familiarity will soon be bolstered by millions of Windows 8 installs around the world. Android is great if you’re a small manufacturer and you just want to dump a stack onto what would have once been called a feature phone. Windows Phone is great if you want the largesse, the popularity, and the trustworthiness of Microsoft behind your product.

I think we're in for the great mobile phone wars of our time.

(side note: very pleased with Verizon's Fran Shammo's comments concerning Windows Phone and needing to back a third ecosystem today)

Somebody who lives in the NY/CT area should go to this and get video. 100% chance it's hilarious!

Celebrate the Grand Opening of the Bridgewater Commons Microsoft Store on Saturday, May 19, and get complimentary wristbands to see a special performance by Grammy Award–nominated group OneRepublic. We’ll also have New York Giants Quarterback Eli Manning with us on Sunday, May 20 to play Kinect with lucky fans

ChanHuk

Banned
You can swipe it down in mail, you can hit the elipsis in ie9 to see the status Tasker etc. Third party apps are full screen by design, but you can always hold the back button and swipe down on the multi-tasker. Then just tap back on the app without losing your place provided its a mango-updated app.

Why they gotta make something so basic so complicated? Fuck these first world problems. I'm going back to iOS like the rest of us mindless zombies after I get my $100 credit.

Klocker

Why they gotta make something so basic so complicated? Fuck these first world problems. I'm going back to iOS like the rest of us mindless zombies after I get my $100 credit.

the whole point is to be uncomplicated.. I love not seeing that chit at the top of my screen all the friggin time

bedlamite

+1 on the clean-looking top bar, just swipe down from the top screen edge when you want to see time and signal strength, this isn't complicated at all

I have the same setup on my backup Android phone, the top status bar is hidden by default and I just swipe up to bring the notifications panel down ('sup Go Launcher EX)

edit: my bad, time is always shown, it's stuff like wireless connectivity, cellular signal strength that's hidden

Fjolle

Nokia will start shipping their 610 with Tango next week, so Tango should be finished about now ;)

It will come with tethering and "flip to ignore", which also will find their way to the other Lumias eventually. I guess that those features will come with the Tango updates in a couple of weeks. Hopefully.

Nokia will start shipping their 610 with Tango next week, so Tango should be finished about now ;)

It will come with tethering and "flip to ignore", which also will find their way to the other Lumias eventually. I guess that those features will come with the Tango updates in a couple of weeks. Hopefully.

Tango was finished weeks ago, iirc.

derFeef

Anyone used/tried the Steam friends app? I am not sure if it's secure, even though the dev writes how it works in his blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom