• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

Problem with the carrier situation in America is that (with T-Mo being the lone exception) you basically get an iPhone and iPhone or an iPhone on basically all of the major carriers. The carrier situation basically doesn't matter anymore for Apple. They've side stepped the issue by just putting out their mainline device on all of the big carriers now that they are also on Sprint.

Google and MS still have this Russian roulette with their OS via OEM partners trying to make deals with the carriers to push different phones. Plus both Google and MS tried to make one variant to get the push as sort of their core phone in the Nexus line and to a certain extent the Lumia line of phones to sort of be each respective's iPhones. Yet they aren't like Apple because the phones are still basically carrier locked to one carrier (at least at launch).

Just another unnecessary road block at least in the US for Android and Windows Phone unless you are willing to carrier hop all the time. Samsung seemed to realize this at least with the Galaxy Line giving all 4 carriers a version of their new phone even if it's slightly tweaked for each carrier. I was hoping with WP8 Nokia would follow suit and release their follow up to the 900 to all carriers that support LTE.
Supposedly Verizon didn't want it.

giga

There are some minor improvements in the 1.0 release, including a search and add new contacts feature, but the final version still lacks the ability to receive calls when Skype isn't running — a limitation that a Skype spokesperson told us is due to "a combination of how Skype works and how the Windows Phone OS works."
Ugh. Even Tango can do this. What about receiving IMs in the background? Push?

Korey

Is there a way to post a status (tweet, facebook, etc.) using voice?

Tried using "Tweet ...." and "post to twitter" and those don't work

Edit: Looked for it...guess not

If you can dictate texts, why not other things, like status posts? I don't need a shortcut to it, just the part where you dictate the message.

Cyan and Magenta is great, but I think we still need more colors.

mkxKT.png

"@WithinRafael: Here's a picture of the CUTE Lumia 900 with Nokia's PIECE OF SHIT $20 green bumper. http://t.co/QHZUjuhc"

I'd never buy one in green, but I'd still love seeing them in the wild.

I find that hard to believe. As long as it has an LTE radio Verizon should have been on board. They are seemingly so desperate to get all of their contracts on LTE that its crazy.

They were pretty vocal about how they weren't really interested in Windows Phone.

tino

Banned
I find that hard to believe. As long as it has an LTE radio Verizon should have been on board. They are seemingly so desperate to get all of their contracts on LTE that its crazy.

Verizon will always want to maintain exclusive top end models. If Nokia has a Lumia 1000 with that 32mp camera, watch Verizon negotiate at least 3 month exclusive out of it. That, or Verizon won't take it at all.

I really doubt Samsung can get Galaxy S3 out on all 4 carriers. I bet Verizon want some kind of special favorite, like a bigger screen.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Supposedly Verizon didn't want it.

This I get as at this point they'd probably rather wait for Apollo instead of dealing with another late gen WP7.5 device since they only have one device anyways. I was speaking more about the Apollo launch since that's what all of this info coming out has been about.

It's also worth noting Verizon might have said no way ahead of time since originally no WP devices were going to be LTE. MS/Nokia might have gotten rejected by AT&T next, and then said well fuck we have to push up LTE which was originally an Apollo feature. Then AT&T might have said we'll take it if you do that as an exclusive carrier. They might not have even gone back to Verizon and offered than an LTE device.

I know starting last Fall since Verzion was ahead of AT&T they were really reluctant to release a ton of non LTE phones. AT&T became the same way when they saw how Verizon was getting a leg up on them after last year.

frontieruk

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUHPo9AytOU&feature=player_detailpage#t=64s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EUHPo9AytOU[/URL] Windows phone smoked by a Nokia 3250 lol

Commodore

Another long feel-good-there-is-still-some-hope editorial on WPSauce, about the Apollo update situation.
At least the bolding isn't as random as it was in the previous editorial. That doesn't mean it has less bullshit in it.

http://www.wpsauce.com/2012/04/dispelling-apollo-update-fud.html

I stopped reading here:

However, I’m truly surprised at the insipidness of the arguments being put forth in the Apollo update debate. Most of the bloggers, from harsh critics to unbelievers to wolves in sheep’s clothing (no prizes for guessing who), are hiding behind ‘unnamed sources‘ in their negativity, without putting forth any worthwhile hypothesis.

The polarizing part either side of the argument lately takes is poo. Especially when all both sides are doing are more or less guessing.

Raistlin

Is there a way to post a status (tweet, facebook, etc.) using voice?

Tried using "Tweet ...." and "post to twitter" and those don't work

Edit: Looked for it...guess not

If you can dictate texts, why not other things, like status posts? I don't need a shortcut to it, just the part where you dictate the message.
Use Ask Ziggy

PSGames

Does everyone know about uninstalling Tango and reinstalling the one from the market?

AT&T sneakily gimped the one that's preinstalled to only make calls over wifi. Install the one from the marketplace and bam you have 3G video/voice calls with Tango.

Raistlin

Does everyone know about uninstalling Tango and reinstalling the one from the market?

AT&T sneakily gimped the one that's preinstalled to only make calls over wifi. Install the one from the marketplace and bam you have 3G video/voice calls with Tango.
I don't

I have 4G or LTE :D

Korey

So Tango only works if the party you call also has it?

Is there a way to call using Wifi for all calls, regardless of the other party?

GTI Guy

I do now! Thanks!

Fjolle

It's not like the Chinese will have access to Skype anyway.

And it will hopefully be included in the people hub in Apollo, which surely will run on the tango device.

Rafael Rivera on Skype for Windows Phone

I suspect the lack of notifications is due to Skype's firewall-busting P2P-based system. Tango [video call app] uses mere XMPP.

It's tough because, if I understand correctly, Skype facilitates peer communication but then lets the peers talk with themselves.

So where do you put a notification server? Skype will need to run as a 24/7 service on the phone to give you notifications, which isn't available on WP7.

Skype delivers a few bootstrap servers, handles login, the rest is on P2P.

I think Skype's inability to keep a persistent network conn. also prevents notifications. It has to punch a hole to talk to the outside world. If it can't keep that open, other nodes on the Skype P2P network can't call in.

Anyway, point is: It's easy to shit on Skype. (I know, I do it all the time.) But Skype is way more complex and different than you think.

Texts are easier; they're sent to Skype servers for storage (30 days max, they claim). Means easy to notify users.
https://twitter.com/#!/WithinRafael

Firestorm

Also (According to a Skype WP developer) the toast notifications for calls are useless as they disappear after like 2 seconds, and after that the caller won't know if you are giong to answer the call or not.
We seriously need a Notification Centre -.- Android and BlackBerry have had them forever and even iOS has it now. ffs get on the ball Microsoft. Live Tiles don't cut it for an at the glance look at what you missed.

giga

Rafael Rivera on Skype for Windows Phone

https://twitter.com/#!/WithinRafael
The Windows Phone Push Notification Service isn't 24/7? Surely that can't be right. How does Skype implement push on iOS?

We seriously need a Notification Centre -.- Android and BlackBerry have had them forever and even iOS has it now. ffs get on the ball Microsoft. Live Tiles don't cut it for an at the glance look at what you missed.
Not even that. We're talking about a simple modal notification.

skype_201_incoming_call.jpg

Here are some unofficial words regarding the limitation to 512 MB devices:

I was told that Microsoft released the SDK for 256 MB devices too late for the 1.0 version (it came out a month ago, so that makes sense). They tested it on the Lumia 610 and weren't satisfied with the performance, so they limited it to 512 MB devices. He didn't want to rule out support for 256 MB devices in the future, but since 256 MB devices aren't on the market yet, they don't feel the need to rush with that.

Fjolle

Here are some unofficial words regarding the limitation to 512 MB devices:

I was told that Microsoft released the SDK for 256 MB devices too late for the 1.0 version (it came out a month ago, so that makes sense). They tested it on the Lumia 610 and weren't satisfied with the performance, so they limited it to 512 MB devices. He didn't want to rule out support for 256 MB devices in the future, but since 256 MB devices aren't on the market yet, they don't feel the need to rush with that.

Yea. Just read past the headline and discovered that it's on the "known defects" list. So it's not like they officially won't support it ever.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
The Windows Phone Push Notification Service isn't 24/7? Surely that can't be right. How does Skype implement push on iOS?

Not even that. We're talking about a simple modal notification.

skype_201_incoming_call.jpg
I didn't know WP didn't have any pop up notifications. But yea, we need a notification hub. That swip to the right to reach missed alerts was pretty cool. But ms prob won't use that.

gcubed

But what kind of hub is the question. Are they just gonna copy droid. Or do something original. GODDAMIT MS SAY SOMTHING.

they will do something that fits in with metro. Something like iOS and Android would be an abortion on this OS.

While i doubt their management structure and internal decision making regarding the platform, they haven't given me reason to doubt their design yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom