• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

So given the where-would-you-go conversation 'round here recently, I'm taking bets how many we loose to Apple's bait tomorrow.

I'm thinking two vocally, 5 are lost in the wind.

Fjolle

If Apple overhaul their UI completely i might consider it. But working with it every day has turned me off iOS as it is now.

I'll probably get a symbian or meego phone if ms fucks up.

I can't wait for the media to report iOS 6 features that are already on other OS's as revolutionary, never been on a phone before features.

Happens every time lol.p

kehs

Banned
I can't wait for the media to report iOS 6 features that are already on other OS's as revolutionary, never been on a phone before features.

Happens every time lol.p

I hear they are inventing maps on a mobile device. This will be Avelutionary.

bedlamite

The wife's just jumped off the WP7 bandwagon after getting a Galaxy S3. She's looking to sell her Lumia 800 but the resale value of the phone has dropped so much she's just going to keep it. Oh well. :\

The sad thing about it is that Android 4.0.4 is still crashy, when she exits the SMS application there's a 50-50 chance she'll be greeted with a black screen which stays for a few minutes. In fact, like most typical users, she couldn't give two shits about the OS, she watches tons of TV shows and the S3's ginormous 4.8" screen is irresistable to her, crashy OS or not. Front-facing camera is also good for portrait shots, which she's missed, coming from the L800.

Korey

looks like you thought wrong.
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

only crazy people take screenshots. see what you need to do is buy another windows 7 phone and use that to take a picture of your current windows 7 phone.

So there's literally no way to take a screenshot on your phone?

Milchjon

Only with a developer unlocked phone.

Wait, what? Now I feel discriminated against. I always thought it just wasn't available in the OS.

Oh wait, if I played around with making an app and actually put it on my phone, is it "developer unlocked"? If so, how would I take screenshots?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There a homebrew app that allows you to take screenshots once you unlock your phone. I've posted some of my phone screens on this thread before.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So given the where-would-you-go conversation 'round here recently, I'm taking bets how many we loose to Apple's bait tomorrow.

I'm thinking two vocally, 5 are lost in the wind.

I bet we lose one vocally and 2 to 3 are lost in the Wind. I say this only because I have no faith Apple is actually going to do anything with their UI. It's just going to be feature set upgrades. Plus the rest of the people that we'd lose would be more likely to jump to the Google camp verses the Apple Camp.

If they actually fully change up the UI, which is 0.000000000000000001% they'd do it, then all bets are off.

Why would you want to anyways? Can't you just use your brain's memory? If you need to share it can you not just use descriptive words instead?

I still remember that hilarious response from Aaron Woodman or Joe Belfiore.

"Why would people want a screenshot feature? No-one in our focus groups mentioned a screenshot feature!"

E:

Speaking of focus groups:

Rumor: New Nokia Windows Phone Device Specs

So here’s the deal, we all have a love hate relationship regarding rumors. If you hate ‘em, move along, this obviously isn’t for you. If you love ‘em, then get ready to not get excited because spoiler alert: this device isn’t going to knock anyone’s socks off. Let me preface this by saying that I know the source personally and he’s not a Windows Phone fan by any stretch of the imagination, so take this how you will.

According to my source, Nokia has been using focus groups to test the waters of their new line of devices.
The device he was allowed to see last week had the following specs:

3.5” – 4” screen (no mention of AMOLED or LCD)
Dual-core CPU (undisclosed clock speed or manufacturer)
8MP Camera (no pureview here)

Beyond that, the device itself follows very closely with the metro theme, source suggests maybe too much. The device itself is very rectangular, to the point where you can prop it up on it’s side (horizontally). The case itself is not made from the polycarbonate found in the Lumia 800/900 but regular, cheaper feeling plastic. The case was reportedly uncomfortable to hold in one’s hard due to the sharp edges. The device was functional, suggesting that Nokia is pretty far along in bringing this model to market. Perhaps maybe even an announcement when Microsoft debuts Windows Phone 8 later this month.

From the screen size and the lack of polycarbonate shell, I would assume (or hope) that this is not the top tier model, but more of a mid to low end model. However, my source also states that Nokia was pitting this thing against a Samsung Galaxy III, some quad-core HTC model, and an iPhone 4s in their focus group studies. These are all top shelf devices from their respective manufacturers, and I would hope that Nokia doesn’t expect to take them on without their iconic case design.

While this phone definitely won’t excite many people, if paired with a low price point this could easily be a decent entry level phone. For more details we’ll have to wait and see. Let the speculation commence!
http://mobilitydigest.com/rumor-new-nokia-windows-phone-device-specs-2/

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Man this shit better be good. After the new MBP I just wanna go all-in with Apple's ecosystem.

Yeah, I'm not buying a $2100 laptop, but the iOS6 stuff is definitely getting my juices flowing. Integration all over the place, it's insane. This is MS' vision, but Apple is executing at a very fast clip.

Here's Tim Stevens from Engadget:
This is somewhat reminiscent of the integration that Microsoft brought to Windows Phone Mango, seamlessly going from app-to-app. Implementation is quite different, but the concept is the same.

MS needs to step up the pace in their software releases, it looks like Google and Apple are in a mad dash of improvement, and they were already out in front of Windows Phone is some key aspects. Now Apple is closing the gap on integration, ditching their app silo approach for the far superior MS-inspired fusion. Can't wait to see Apollo.

MCD

MS bianuual updating is fucking dumb dumb dumb.

Want some shitty update? SPRING!!!!

Want your Xbox update? Fuck your shit, wait for fall.

Want some Apollo? FALL FALL FALL

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Unfortunately, looks like aside from integration of Siri and Facebook, the actual homescreen isn't changing much on iOS. Every time I hit the home screen on an iOS device, I want to punch the screen.

MS bianuual updating is fucking dumb dumb dumb.

Want some shitty update? SPRING!!!!

Want your Xbox update? Fuck your shit, wait for fall.

Want some Apollo? FALL FALL FALL

You mean, just like everyone else is doing it? Apollo is already in deep beta. It's not that far off. Too bad current phones won't get it. /trollface

MCD

It's just more apparent with MS. They are so slow and apparently SOME SICK BASTARD OUT THERE FIXED THEIR LEAK RIGHT BEFORE APOLLO.

Not cool man, not cool.

Unfortunately, looks like aside from integration of Siri and Facebook, the actual homescreen isn't changing much on iOS. Every time I hit the home screen on an iOS device, I want to punch the screen.

Yeah I was disappointed that there isn't really any UI changes.

Something that I'm really hoping for with Apollo and Windows 8 is the messaging apps to be fully synced like they are for iOS and OSX. That is really cool.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
iOS 6 is nice, but nothing that is blowing my mind or making want to jump ship. The integration looks very good and is on par and surpasses in places compared to others, but the OS itself is still boring.

Fjolle

Only thing that i could use from iOS6 was the DND settings.

Nice for Apple that they have entered this milennia and are allowing their mobile phones to make video calls.

dream

iOS 6 is nice, but nothing that is blowing my mind or making want to jump ship. The integration looks very good and is on par and surpasses in places compared to others, but the OS itself is still boring.

I think the whole point of iOS is you're not supposed to flick around in the OS. You're supposed to do stuff.

Firestorm

Yeah, I'm not buying a $2100 laptop, but the iOS6 stuff is definitely getting my juices flowing. Integration all over the place, it's insane. This is MS' vision, but Apple is executing at a very fast clip.

Here's Tim Stevens from Engadget:

MS needs to step up the pace in their software releases, it looks like Google and Apple are in a mad dash of improvement, and they were already out in front of Windows Phone is some key aspects. Now Apple is closing the gap on integration, ditching their app silo approach for the far superior MS-inspired fusion. Can't wait to see Apollo.
Yeah, their integration is why I switched ecosystems and they seem to be going at it hard now as well.

JaggedSac

In my personal opinion, Apple is now scraping for things to add. They should have done a UI overhaul instead of what they did.

That being said, their maps looks very nice and the OpenTable integration would probably be useful.

f0lken

iOS 6 was underwhelming IMO, but seeing it coming to the 3GS was a pleasant surprise and put pressure on MS to update their current lineup to Apollo, I'm still in the WP bandwagon so I hope next week MS delivers

bedlamite

The biggest thing for most people will be the tight FB/Twitter integration, otherwise, it's still the same boring row of icons.

Next up, Apollo. Roll on the 20th!

derFeef

The biggest thing for most people will be the tight FB/Twitter integration, otherwise, it's still the same boring row of icons.

Next up, Apollo. Roll on the 20th!

Man Apollo is so going to copy that twitter and facebook integration.
I can already imagine the headlines.

Troll

Banned
Microsoft has a big opportunity here to be relevant again, iOS 6 was meh. If they have a good showing of Apollo I will celebrate. By getting drunk.

venne

I think the whole point of iOS is you're not supposed to flick around in the OS. You're supposed to do stuff.

Oh, so that's why it's organized in pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages . . . and pages of apps.

Makes sense.

venne

Microsoft has a big opportunity here to be relevant again, iOS 6 was meh. If they have a good showing of Apollo I will celebrate. By getting drunk.

Problem is that Microsoft is one side of the equation. There needs to be strong hardware, too.

Apple has the hardware down other than covering a commonly dropped device with glass. I just find iOS to resemble something that a middle aged scrapbooker would fawn over. Those road signs for turn by turn. *vomit*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom