• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

snap0212

If you want to personally manage all those apps, be my guest. I'd rather have a uncluttered and undated UI and not deal with it.

If something is that important, I'll pin it to start which is effectively a favorites folder with special functionality (live tiles).
Would you care to tell me why it makes sense to allow me to group contacts but not to allow me to group certain apps? Doesn't clutter anything when it's done with contacts, doesn't cause the UI to look outdated either. Why would that be the case with apps?

gcubed

yeah probably, so many rumors etc.. i forget which ones have been all but confirmed and which are just speculation.

I believe its a necessity due to WinRT

I know that the Apollo update is going to have a huge amount of under the hood improvements but I hope they have a lot of feature improvements to show as well. I'm shocked how little has leaked so far.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
what is on the 20th?
microsoft is showing off the next version of windows phone

lKy15.jpg

I believe its a necessity due to WinRT

I know that the Apollo update is going to have a huge amount of under the hood improvements but I hope they have a lot of feature improvements to show as well. I'm shocked how little has leaked so far.
well there was that leak in feb. but yeah, seems like there would be more by now.

gcubed

also VM... if they said they would offer OS upgrades without carrier interference I think i'd probably jump barring much of what I said previously

also VM... if they said they would offer OS upgrades without carrier interference I think i'd probably jump barring much of what I said previously
I'm gonna be a bit negative here for once, but ... lol, no. From what I've heard so far, carriers seem to be pretty happy with Windows Phone 8 and I can't see universal updates for everyone being part of that.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

That's how they got me. Fooled my ass with the whole "we'll provide updates through Zune which we own and carriers can only skip one update and we'll be pushing out so many updates that you'll be inundated with new versions". I was really hoping for an iOS-like situation where carriers had very little control over phone updates, but alas, it's only slightly better than the situation on Android. :(

edit: Slightly better than Android was the wrong way to put it. The overwhelming majority of phones are running mango, and those that don't are because the owner doesn't want it on there or has no access to a computer with internet access. ICS is on 7% of phones. But certainly, carrier interference is putting a wet towel over everything.

gcubed

I'm gonna be a bit negative here for once, but ... lol, no. From what I've heard so far, carriers seem to be pretty happy with Windows Phone 8 and I can't see universal updates for everyone being part of that.

That's how they got me. Fooled my ass with the whole "we'll provide updates through Zune which we own and carriers can only skip one update and we'll be pushing out so many updates that you'll be inundated with new versions". I was really hoping for an iOS-like situation where carriers had very little control over phone updates, but alas, it's only slightly better than the situation on Android. :(

i know its a long shot, but a man can dream.
and be disappointed

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
i'm not entirely convinced you and copernicus aren't related

He just wants more people to visit that phenomenal OP that he spent so much time on. Seriously, go check it out, its fantastic.

Edit: in fact, brot needs to check out that OP every time he thinks of buying that beautiful Xperia phone with the disastrous OS.

gcubed

He just wants more people to visit that phenomenal OP that he spent so much time on. Seriously, go check it out, its fantastic.

Edit: in fact, brot needs to check out that OP every time he thinks of buying that beautiful Xperia phone with the disastrous OS.

he may get sucked away by having actual apps to use.

edit... and now it seems that the ios mapping is done by TomTom... so much for feature parity

jagowar

So WP8 speculation? what do you think we will see?

I think you can look at Windows 8 to see a lot of what is to come. A lot of it is a given already, new kernal, better hardware etc... WinRT.

I could see them adding the charms bar in W8 as hardware buttons on the Phone:

which would mean app contracts would come to the phone which will be very powerful.

W8 search is also very powerful, so i expect that to be coming to the phone as well. Honestly, i expect most if not all of the features of Metro in W8 to come to the Phone. Can't wait till the 20th. (I wouldn't be surprised if they call it Windows 8 Phone.)

I think it will have very little to do with win8 (as disappointing as that will be for me personally)..... I think it will get winRT as a framework but very little other than that. Will be enhancements within the existing 7.5 ui similar to what ios6 was today.

If they really are as close as the rumors make them out to be it would seem odd to have 2 separate products when the whole idea of metro in win8 is be the "one os to rule them all".

I do hope we get some actual details on the new xbox media services.... I am going to be curious to see how they tie in to what we have now and how they will actually work.

Can you imagine an Android OT that is actually good? Me neither.
edit... and now it seems that the ios mapping is done by TomTom... so much for feature parity
Who's TomTom's data provider again? Oh right, it's Navteq. Aren't they owned by some Finnish paper or rubber manufacturer or something?

Actually, scratch what I said, I thought it was running Gingerbread. It's running ICS, so its not disastrous, just hopelessly inept.
Oh no, you were quite right. According to the Verge, the Xperia P ships with Gingerbread.

gcubed

Can you imagine an Android OT that is actually good? Me neither.

Who's TomTom's data provider again? Oh right, it's Navteq. Aren't they owned by some Finnish paper or rubber manufacturer or something?

Oh no, you were quite right. According to the Verge, the Xperia P ships with Gingerbread.

No brot, its not navteq, thats google maps and bing.

TomTom uses TeleAtlas... apology accepted.

No brot, its not navteq, thats google maps and bing.

TomTom uses TeleAtlas... apology accepted.

Nah, it was Garmin who uses Navteq, not TomTom.

In that case, I double dog dare you to buy that phone.

I thought the appeal of Android was that it's free and open and you can flash whatever you want on those devices. I'm sure someone already ported Android 4.1 to that beautiful piece of hardware.

gcubed

Nah, it was Garmin who uses Navteq, not TomTom.

I thought the appeal of Android was that it's free and open and you can flash whatever you want on those devices. I'm sure someone already ported Android 4.1 to that beautiful piece of hardware.

thats fine, i dont think Google uses Navteq anymore anyway either.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I'm gonna have a tear in my eye the first time I pop into the Android OT and read your post asking: "yo guys, what aosp cyanogenmod rom kernel combination do I have to flash so my mic works and the battery lasts longer than the time it takes to read this post?".

I'm gonna have a tear in my eye the first time I pop into the Android OT and read your post asking: "yo guys, what aosp cyanogenmod rom kernel combination do I have to flash so my mic works and the battery lasts longer than the time it takes to read this post?".

Meh, I've been there. I used Windows Mobile devices for a while. It's actually the reason I don't want to have anything to do with Android. Shit got old and I wanted something that just worked.

dpatel304

After all the Apple news today, I came in here wondering when we'd be hearing about Windows Phone 8. Looks like I found my answer. Can't wait for June 20th. Dying to see what MS has to offer.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
After all the Apple news today, I came in here wondering when we'd be hearing about Windows Phone 8. Looks like I found my answer. Can't wait for June 20th. Dying to see what MS has to offer.
nothing we haven't already heard. there is nothing MS can do at this point that would make me go " oh shit, wasn't expecting that".

infact the only reason i am not in the android OT right now, is because i am expecting to make a killing selling prozac to these suckers customers.
there is a 360 controller there. does tha mean we will be able to connect the 360 controller to play games on windows phone with?
ah my first sale.

bedlamite

Anyone recommend any good Windows mobile games?

I just grabbed Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Monopoly, Super Monkey Ball and Plants Vs Zombies. I'm also kind of eyeing Lets Golf 2 but I'm not sure.

Does stuff go on sale for 99 cents often like iOS?

It's easy enough to look through the XBL catalogue for games, so I'll just make a few indie recommendations:

Radiant TD - Awesome TD from Hexage. Actually just check out all their stuff
Majesty - RTS
MythDefense LF - Android port. Shameless medieval-themed Fieldrunner clone
Treasure Defense - Level design can be a bit iffy but it's well made
Vanessa Saint-Pierre Delacroix And Her Nightmare - Platformer

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Good job bob is angry because not everyone thought a $2100 was a fantastic offer for a laptop. I don't know why he had to take it out on us, though. :(

Commodore

Long day, finally caught up on the news today. Honestly, I'm pretty surprised Apple didn't bring the heat. I really thought they'd show some compelling innovative stuff, but they more or less caught up on some standard features on competitor's platforms and iterated Siri stuff. Also thought they'd reveal iPhone 5, guess that's later this year? Gives the other two some space to pick up some slack if they can. MS obviously has the most on the line, but I also don't think they will be the ones showing the edgiest stuff. Still, fairly interested now in seeing how they stack up when we see where all three are going respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom