• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Who would be the carrier to buy from then if Nokia did get bought out? Who would Microsoft lean on to make the "it" phone? How would this effect the Nokia partnership?

If you guys had to bail or else get a Samsung or HTC phone what would you chose to do? If you bailed would you bail for iOS or Android?

Who would be the carrier to buy from then if Nokia did get bought out? Who would Microsoft lean on to make the "it" phone? How would this effect the Nokia partnership?

If you guys had to bail or else get a Samsung or HTC phone what would you chose to do? If you bailed would you bail for iOS or Android?

Samsung is good with all carriers, so it would actually be beneficial for customers. Microsoft also got a bit cozy with Samsung, after they agreed on the Android licensing "issue".

If I had to bail, I'd stick with a Sony Xperia U/P/S (depending on how much money I want to spend). I like pain.

MCD

Meego.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

I can see Samsung and MS in bed together. Samsung doesn't just make phones and would give them insite on what/why/how ms is trying to bring windows 8+phone+Xbox together. That or buy a Samsung tv and get a (shit) tablet for free. Who knows.

Also I would go droid. And galaxy Jesus phone only.
I tired to spell nexus and it auto corrected to Jesus. I am not changing it.
I can't type on this small ass screen anymore.

catmincer

feel free to ignore this question. but are you gonna upgrade to WP8 if its similar to WP7?

Probably not. Unless it actually improves on what we have at the moment. There's some small things that would be good in WP. My major one is being able to save videos directly into the OS and being able to access these from the phone.

Vanillalite

Interesting that it seems most people if they had to leave WP land would go to Android and not iOS land.... (not that everyone's chimed in yet of course....)

bangai-o

Banned
is the office app able to create pdf files or is it only word files? also while in browser and upon finding a pdf file online, is the browser able to download the file? is the screen able to scroll around that pdf fairl easily?

Vanillalite

is the office app able to create pdf files or is it only word files? also while in browser and upon finding a pdf file online, is the browser able to download the file? is the screen able to scroll around that pdf fairl easily?

There's an official adobe pdf viewer. So the browser can download the file then it opens in the adobe viewer. That's actually rather seamless.

stock and chrome.

Sounds like your network connection. Opera Mobile loads GAF ads just fine.

Weird. Couldnt be the network connection.

Whatever MS do, they should make the homescreen more appealing in Apollo. The Mango homescreen looks nice after you invested in the platform, but the ones in stores are as stock as they get. It's almost embarassing seeing black screens with blue lines on then next to screens with widgets and live backgrounds.

Interesting that it seems most people if they had to leave WP land would go to Android and not iOS land.... (not that everyone's chimed in yet of course....)

Lesser of two evils? Or may be all droid fans in here make us a believer.

I would go with HTC One if Nokia fold and/or Windows Phone 8 suck.

I buy phones off contract and the mid-range phones like the Xperia P are simply cheaper than an unlocked iPhone.

snap0212

I'll personally probably go back to iPhone simply because I know what I'm getting into, and that's a huge factor for me these days. I want my Audiobooks, I want my Podcasts and I like the fact that it's currently the go-to OS for people who develop apps and games.

I like the options that Android would give me but I'm not that much of a fan of having to fiddle around with stuff in order to make it work the way I want. I hate iTunes and would love to get away from it but that's the pill I have to swallow if I want to take advantage of these other things.

I'm obviously willing and looking forward to going back to Windows Phone for the reasons stated in this Thread (and the first one) over and over again. Currently, Windows Phone just isn't the best platform for my personal needs, which are podcasts, audiobooks, games and apps.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I doubt I'd buy another android phone anytime soon. Probably go back to iOS. I vastly prefer android on tablets, though. I hate my iPad, but my wife likes it a lot and she didn't want an android tablet.

I'm considering the rumored cheap nexus tablet, but at this point I think I may just get the transformer book in the fall and have that as both my laptop and tablet.

Tomcat

Just got a lumia 900 and the first thing I noticed is that the scrolling on the home screen is slower than my previous wp7. Its not laggy of course but it seems that I have to scroll more in order to go to the bottom. Any one noticed something like this?

kharma45

Just got a lumia 900 and the first thing I noticed is that the scrolling on the home screen is slower than my previous wp7. Its not laggy of course but it seems that I have to scroll more in order to go to the bottom. Any one noticed something like this?

I've noticed that with my brothers 800, same with pinch to zoom in the web browser, I'd even say it stutters at times.

Tomcat

I've noticed that with my brothers 800, same with pinch to zoom in the web browser, I'd even say it stutters at times.

no stuttering and no slow down
its just like there is no inertia enabled
it justs "brakes" faster

i had the 800 and i dont remember something similar

maybe because i used screen protector its slides better?
i will try a screen protector on the 900 just to test it

Frost_Ace

wallpaper.jpg

just how awesome would this be?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
maybe because i used screen protector its slides better?
i will try a screen protector on the 900 just to test it

The screen coating is definitely different. Might have to do with the clear black tech. The inertia difference is also real. You don't notice it unless you switch from another windows phone and then use the 900.

Purely asthetically speaking...

I like it when an OS is kept minimalistic. And WP has very smooth and sexy animations when you perform actions.

However, I do think they should try and make their OS a bit more pleasing to the eye. A plain color background with plain color icons just looks ... meh.

It doesn't have to be much to make it very sexy. The Zune software for example is Metro styled. But the combination of simple icons with sexy backgrounds and the cd box arts giving it some color is just so much better than the WP UI.

I think having non-plain backgrounds would solve the problem partly. Because the apps on WP look great. It's just that "home screen" that looks very bland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom