• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontieruk

1. must support jet packs
2. must be able to run on windows mobile
3. dual boot to windows XP
4. cheese sandwich
5. multi core support

any particular cheese?

1. don't fuck up metro
2. just don't
3. seriously
4. I mean it!
5. working toast notifications

I agree with all of these, though it's still not as cool as the Zune HD (RIP)

Some of these are going to be obvious

1. Working Toast Notifications
3. Individual Volume Controls

These are important to me, if hardware meant less candy bars I'd agree but I think you mean moar pwr which tbh I don't really need unless they improve battery life A LOT.

The most important to me:
-expandable storage
-better multitasking

Agree on these, agree to disagree on the rest but can see why people want them.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
  • Centralized notification area - Not having one of these in a modern smartphone OS is a no-no, it's paramount. I'm pulling for something similar to this concept; although the problem with that is that it wouldn't be accessible anywhere in the OS --- I'm sure the smart guys at MS can figure something out.
Microsoft has said they do not want a notification center, their notification center is their live tiles. And honestly i prefer this, i never use the notification center in iOS, i would much rather have little bubbles on the applications and lock screen notifications or in Windows Phone/8's case live tiles and the lock screen.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Let me explain about wanting improved voice controls: I'm not advocating for a siri-like service, although I would welcome that as well, but an expansion and refinement of the current tellme service. As it stands, its very difficult to compose text messages in my car, it mangles everything. It needs to be a lot more accurate, it needs to tie into more services, like the calendar, and it needs to allow more natural speech input. I dont need it wrapped in a sassy character container, but I do need it to function better on the occasions when I have to use it.

Microsoft has said they do not want a notification center, their notification center is their live tiles. And honestly i prefer this, i never use the notification center in iOS, i would much rather have little bubbles on the applications and lock screen notifications or in Windows Phone/8's case live tiles and the lock screen.

Yeah given that Windows 8 doesn't have a notification center, I don't think we are getting one with the phone either.

Most of the stuff I want is listed after by others. I want some deep integration with Windows 8. I really want the messaging app on the phone and win 8 to be fully synced and be able to send any kind of message from either device. It's one of the really cool features I want from OS X and iOS.

thirty

Banned
I think I'm going to do something productive with my free time and try to develop an app or two. anyone have any experience and care to share any insight for a first timer? should i try a WP7 app or a Windows 8 app?

PG2G

I think I'm going to do something productive with my free time and try to develop an app or two. anyone have any experience and care to share any insight for a first timer? should i try a WP7 app or a Windows 8 app?

I want to do the same. I kinda want to wait until June 20th and see how things work themselves out though. No point in picking up silverlight or XNA if its going to go away.

thirty

Banned
I want to do the same. I kinda want to wait until June 20th and see how things work themselves out though. No point in picking up silverlight or XNA if its going to go away.
so windows 8 it is.

I have zero programming experience but if you look at it as learning commands rather than a language it's less intimidating.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm surprised more people are with me and still complaining about the one volume control for all thing on the phones.

These are important to me, if hardware meant less candy bars I'd agree but I think you mean moar pwr which tbh I don't really need unless they improve battery life A LOT.

I just want a higher resolution screen especially if we are going to get bigger phones. I'd also like more power, but I might not need something crazy. I'm still working with a launch phone, and supposedly the newer phones like the Lumia 800 and 900 are quiet a decent step up. It could help with some games as well as some slower apps IMO. I'm not saying I need some quad core processor in my phone though. I really don't.

I'd love a really nice DAC built into the phone though for music. Plus like everyone else here pureview = teh awesomness!

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
so windows 8 it is.

I have zero programming experience but if you look at it as learning commands rather than a language it's less intimidating.
windows phone w/e. as long as your doing XNA i am sure its compatible with wp8, go on you tube and find some tutorials, theres on of how to make a moonlanding game try and build/compile it and take what you learned from that and make your own game. by the time WP8 comes out youl prob be done the game so all youl have to do is apply what you learned on windows phone 8 emulator. plus the windows phone 7 emulator is pretty damn good.

Vanillalite

Have you checked out the coding academy lessons? They are A to the MAZING with no experience. They have both a general programming as well as an HTML version and then they merge the two to do things down the road.

Coding Academy

I can't recommend this enough for ANY who wants to learn some programming.

Okay guys, what are your top five must have Apollo features? Since the 20th is next week we are almost there. Then we can revisit and see if Apollo delivered.

1. Better screens
2. Better camera
3. More/expandable memory
4. Better Cpu for gaming
5. Bring on sexy hardware like Nokia did...please

Btw anyone else's people hub not connecting to Facebook?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Anyone having this issue? Mine isn't updating FB either. Figure it's on FBs end.

/some-windows-phones-not-able-to-access-facebook/"]http://wmpoweruser.com/some-windows-...cess-facebook/

AT&T Nokia Lumia 900 and I can't update via integrated and while the app works I cannot post.[/quote]it looks like its server side.

Vanillalite

Made a thread about it on the regular |OT| boards, but T-Mobile is giving away all 4g phones on Friday/Saturday on contract for free for Father's Day. They don't have a GSIII yet, but you can get a HTC One S, Lumia 710, or a GSII among other things.

Black-Box

I hope the other companies start matching what Nokia is bringing. I can't wait till I can get a nokia phone because of how good it is, and that it is getting a lot of exclusive apps and such

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I hope the other companies start matching what Nokia is bringing. I can't wait till I can get a nokia phone because of how good it is, and that it is getting a lot of exclusive apps and such
it sounds like when WP8 launches more OEMs will be bringing out Hardware. I wonder if we will see Phones that run both android and WP. We are starting to see it with Windows 8.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Final Fantasy is available now. The text is little trick to read, but the graphics are decent for the port. It is $6.99 ($2 cheaper than the iOS version).

At the moment, I'm so desperate for anything. Leaks, rumors, fakes, whatever.

qW3Mr.png

In fact, the only reason we're giving these sceenshots some credibility is the fact that Lenses button is 100% accurate. The rest we cannot vouch for but it does jive with what we've learned and seen ourselves.

The data usage app was also confirmed by Joe Belfiore back in February in the leaked video for OEMs which detailed Apollo (yes, we've seen the video and can vouch for everything said in it). According to Nokia Innovation "the first bar shows how much data you have left, the second shows how many days remaining on your data plan, and it seems you can even adjust your data plan based on the data report ". Such integration is part of the customization that carriers and OEMs/Microsoft will bring to Windows Phone 8 this fall.

http://www.wpcentral.com/supposed-l...s-phone-8-apollo-appear-show-skype-and-lenses

Sordid

Final Fantasy is available now. The text is little trick to read, but the graphics are decent for the port. It is $6.99 ($2 cheaper than the iOS version).

It's £5.49 (~$8.55) here, 50p cheaper than the iOS version but it still seems a lot. Not sure whether to wait for a sale or not.

Has there been any mention of us getting Chrono Trigger ported over too?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
When we were doing the top five things we want in Apollo lists, no one put "UI overhaul". Android badly needed it, and needs another one tight about now. Apple needs one after five years and refused, but this is a two year old OS, if you are looking at those screenshots to see UI changes rather than added functionality......why?

derFeef

When we were doing the top five things we want in Apollo lists, no one put "UI overhaul". Android badly needed it, and needs another one tight about now. Apple needs one after five years and refused, but this is a two year old OS, if you are looking at those screenshots to see UI changes rather than added functionality......why?

Yup. Except for a notification bar/tile/page, please do not butcher the UI!

gcubed

Android has no need for a UI refresh. They need to enforce design guidelines on all their apps though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom