• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

http://bit.ly/L20DD0

WPCentral is reporting that Nokia Maps (with 3D maps) will replace Bibg maps on all windows phone devices and that Skype will be integrated into the is and work like normal calls (and other services can plug in)

While Apple had their day, next week Microsoft will begin to unveil how they do more in one update than Apple does in three. Mark our words.

I'm ready :)

tino

Banned

WPCentral is reporting that Nokia Maps (with 3D maps) will replace Bibg maps on all windows phone devices and that Skype will be integrated into the is and work like normal calls (and other services can plug in)

Deep integration of Skype? Has Steve Ballmer gone made and didn't want any carrier support?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Would it be worth trying to sell my Omnia 7 when WP8 devices come out? I'm thinking maybe $100-150.

Worth it? Yeah as long as you don't think you'll ever need a back up phone.

That being said when WP8 comes out I doubt you'll get $150 for it.

Fjolle

Deep integration of Skype? Has Steve Ballmer gone made and didn't want any carrier support?

Have anyone ever thought that Ballmer has been sane?

And I can't see why it should be any different than every other mobile OS that has a working version of skype.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

Bing maps would be fine if the turn-by-turn stuff was automatic. I'll use Nokia maps if I have to, I don't really care, I just want something that works.

ElNino

do any of the windowphones have those built i mifi things?
If you are referring to using to the phone as a WiFi Hotspot, then yes they do. Most (if not all) of the 2nd gen Windows Phones have Internet Sharing enabled out of the box, and 1st gen phones could use it if you were able to get it working through a firmware hack.

If you are referring to using to the phone as a WiFi Hotspot, then yes they do. Most (if not all) of the 2nd gen Windows Phones have Internet Sharing enabled out of the box, and 1st gen phones could use it if you were able to get it working through a firmware hack.

You don't even need a FW hack. Some of the 1st gen phones (Optimus 7, Omnia 7) got it with an official update.

ElNino

You don't even need a FW hack. Some of the 1st gen phones (Optimus 7, Omnia 7) got it with an official update.
That's true, I needed to do the hack to get it on my Focus but some got it officially.

It actually works really well, and the LTE connection on my Lumia 900 is actually better than my home internet for uploading (although I don't have LTE where I live, only where I work). When my wife was in the hospital (for our latest child's birth), I had my Lumia running with Internet Sharing most of the time so that our visitors could upload/email photos to family and friends and it worked great.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Bring it MS! Apple didn't do enough, time to act like the underdog and blow the doors off. Go wild, this may be your last shot.

Bing maps would be fine if the turn-by-turn stuff was automatic. I'll use Nokia maps if I have to, I don't really care, I just want something that works.

This.

I never understood why going backwards made sense. Windows mobile did a fairly decent job so why revert to this nonsense.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Amazon released their cloud player app for iPhone, hopefully we get a windows phone version soon. A Google app for music would be nice too. I've been uploading my songs to both services.

thirty

Banned
Amazon released their cloud player app for iPhone, hopefully we get a windows phone version soon. A Google app for music would be nice too. I've been uploading my songs to both services.
there's already a google music 3rd party app for wp7. i forget the name though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
there's already a google music 3rd party app for wp7. i forget the name though.

Its called gooroovster, and it sucks. It used to work when I only had a few songs on the servic, but now it gets stuck fetching songs and I can't even play anything.

venne

Amazon needs to release a video player application so I can drop Netflix.

JaggedSac

The Nokia maps switch will probably be unnoticeable to me. And unless they add street names to the voice navigation on Nokia Drive, I would not use that either. Bing Maps app looks nicer than the Nokia one as well. My fiancee never uses the Nokia mapping apps. Offline would be about the only cool thing that would be added. But I am in the US, so that definitely makes a difference.

ElNino

The Nokia maps switch will probably be unnoticeable to me. And unless they add street names to the voice navigation on Nokia Drive, I would not use that either. Bing Maps app looks nicer than the Nokia one as well. My fiancee never uses the Nokia mapping apps. Offline would be about the only cool thing that would be added. But I am in the US, so that definitely makes a difference.
Nokia Drive already has off-line maps, and it works quite well based on my few times trying it.

As for Bing/Nokia maps, I hope they will merge the data between the two because (for me at least) Bing has better traffic coverage than Nokia Maps and I've gone back to using Bing for that reason, but I use Nokia Drive if I want navigation.

So does anyone still not think MS is buying Nokia soon?

It's funny you mention that, because few days ago we had a report on that.

the IP portfolio is the obvious asset, and the brand and engineering know-how, given almost three years working closely as Microsoft's flagship OEM, is also incredibly valuable. Should Microsoft wish to acquire a crack Windows Phone engineering team, it'll be cheaper in 18 months time when Nokia runs out of cash, than it is today. It suited both parties to remain independent partners.

Other than that, people seem to forget that the whole maps thing was part of the deal between Microsoft and Nokia, when they announced the partnership.

Vanillalite

Bring it MS! Apple didn't do enough, time to act like the underdog and blow the doors off. Go wild, this may be your last shot.

Did anyone honestly think they would though? It's just not really Apple's model. They iterate and feature update rather than radically change things up.

For those that want something different even if they dislike MS people need them to succeed. If not your basically stuck with iOS just slowing evolving as is mainly with features rather than ui design or android which is trying to force a unified design structure with ICS going forward. If you don't like their paradigms though which are similar and yet different you're SOL unless MS can bring some changes or you're willing to go down the custom firmware android hole.

PS: Biggest thing that gets me about iOS isn't so much how boring it is (which it is to me these days), but how much usefullness is lost by using the same OS on the iPhone and iPad. I'm not sold on android tablets, but I don't think there's something to be said about most of them trying to use the larger real estate in a better way unlike iOS which only differentiates in App verses just in the OS itself.

Troll

Banned
Okay guys, what are your top five must have Apollo features? Since the 20th is next week we are almost there. Then we can revisit and see if Apollo delivered.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Okay guys, what are your top five must have Apollo features? Since the 20th is next week we are almost there. Then we can revisit and see if Apollo delivered.

1. must support jet packs
2. must be able to run on windows mobile
3. dual boot to windows XP
4. cheese sandwich
5. multi core support

Firestorm

1. Actual multi-tasking so I can use IRC
2. Allow third parties to plug into Messaging hub (WhatsApp specifically)
3. MicroSD support or much larger storage sizes on most phones
4. Nice new prettyful hardware
5. Make IE less shitty

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

Hardware support from this decade
A web browser from this decade
A better development environment (WinRT, C++, JavaScript etc)
Side loading support for those who don't want to publish apps and/or pay $99
A notification center like this (minus the awful background)

1. don't fuck up metro
2. just don't
3. seriously
4. I mean it!
5. working toast notifications

Did this get posted?
Nokia announced this week that Seton Hall University will be giving all its incoming freshmen this fall a Nokia Lumia 900 Windows Phone.

All Seton Hall students -- no matter what their mobile device platform -- currently have access to SHUmobile, an app that provides access to campus news feeds, directories and maps. But the Seton Hall freshmen receiving the Lumia 900s will have access to a custom Freshmen Experience component of the app.

According to the Nokia news release:

This personalized element adds customized social media integration and direct communication channels with their freshmen peers, peer academic advisors, housing information and roommates.

Additionally, the University will leverage Nokia Data Gathering, recently made available for Windows Phone, to communicate with the incoming freshmen beginning this summer by conducting polls, providing information to help students prepare for college and to learn how the Lumia 900 and other technologies are being used.

The phones will be given to all incoming freshmen for free, a result of a partnership between Nokia, AT&T and Microsoft. Students will receive pre-paid service and support from AT&T through the fall semester and then transfer their devices to their personal accounts after the fall semester, according to a Nokia spokeswoman.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Same development framework etc... on Windows 8 and Phone.

Milchjon

1. Actual multi-tasking so I can use IRC
2. Allow third parties to plug into Messaging hub (WhatsApp specifically)
3. MicroSD support or much larger storage sizes on most phones
4. Nice new prettyful hardware
5. Make IE less shitty

All of these. Also screenshots. Also a notification center. And I really, really want to be able to lock the screen orientation.

iOS 6 showed nothing that blew my mind, but it made it painfully obvious how much catching up there's still to do.

Vanillalite

Some of these are going to be obvious

1. Working Toast Notifications
2. Greater Hardware Support
3. Individual Volume Controls
4. Open up the People/Messaging Hub
5. Allow More Devs Native Coding

• Windows 8 Contracts - Contracts is a great, well thought out implementation that fosters inter-connectivity between apps. I don't think anyone will mind if MS borrows it from WP's big brother.

• System-wide screenshotting - Come on MS.

• Centralized notification area - Not having one of these in a modern smartphone OS is a no-no, it's paramount. I'm pulling for something similar to this concept; although the problem with that is that it wouldn't be accessible anywhere in the OS --- I'm sure the smart guys at MS can figure something out.

• Support for 1280x720 and above resolution - High PPI screens are amazing. A mobile device without a high PPI screen is useless to me.

• App side loading - Impose whatever limitations on the WP Marketplace you want (although I do wish they'd tone those down at least to Windows 8 Marketplace levels, but please let users side-load any app they want. Pretty please with a cherry on top.

• Windows 8 style Charms bar - Get rid of the capacitive buttons and instead swipe up to reveal a Charm Bar.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The most important to me:
-expandable storage
-dual and quad core hardware support
-better multitasking
-improved music/podcasting experience
-improved voice command support

JaggedSac

1. Most importantly, that my phone gets a subset of the features (All features that don't require new hardware), otherwise, I don't give a shit cause I'm stuck with this phone for a while.
2. More background functionality for developers.
3. Lower level APIs.
4. Contracts
5. Keep the performance level the same or better.

6. Add an API that developers can use to change wallpapers in the background. My fiancee wants hers to rotate and I would like to make her that app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom