• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Android has already gotten a UI refresh, what it needs right now is some more refinement.

Google doesn't need to enforce design guidelines on app developers, that'd be antithetical to their philosophy; plus app developers on Android are already adopting the Holo theme and design guidelines at a great pace.

Android has already gotten a UI refresh, what it needs right now is some more refinement.

Google doesn't need to enforce design guidelines on app developers, that'd be antithetical to their philosophy; plus app developers on Android are already adopting the Holo theme and design guidelines at a great pace.

In fact, they're doing such a great job with adapting the holo theme, that they're brining it to iOS too!

gcubed

true, maybe enforce is a strong word... incentivize. Although as you pointed out, once they released the guidelines and templates for all things holo a good deal of apps started using it. Starting to see some bigger mainstream apps push into the holo guidelines as well. It took a looooong time, but it was clear throughout google that they had very little UI talent on Android (or anywhere else really).

Anyway, to the point of the original post, Metro is still fresh, its not used by a lot of people as well so it still looks "new" to the general public... and i dont think anyone wants apple to change their UI, i think they want apple to refine it. It just LOOKS old now. The color schemes, etc... just look like an old UI

I think if Windows 8 has some pretty decent adoption it will help overcome the "fear" factor that some people have toward WP

true, maybe enforce is a strong word... incentivize. Although as you pointed out, once they released the guidelines and templates for all things holo a good deal of apps started using it. Starting to see some bigger mainstream apps push into the holo guidelines as well. It took a looooong time, but it was clear throughout google that they had very little UI talent on Android (or anywhere else really).

Anyway, to the point of the original post, Metro is still fresh... and i dont think anyone wants apple to change their UI, i think they want apple to refine it. It just LOOKS old now. The color schemes, etc... just look like an old UI
They've refined a lot of parts actually, the redesigned App Store for example is pleasing and modern. I do agree that theirs still a good amount of dusty parts around the OS that need to get swept up though.

PG2G

Regarding those leaked screens. Why would Skype chat be under Skype and not under text + chat? You'd think if they were going to integrate it, it'd be integrated with the other messaging services.

RCSe has chat listed under it too, wtf. Doesn't seem right at all.

Here's to hoping its only partially true and Thurrott will feel obligated to clear things up like he does with every other leak haha.

Fjolle

Regarding those leaked screens. Why would Skype chat be under Skype and not under text + chat? You'd think if they were going to integrate it, it'd be integrated with the other messaging services.

RCSe has chat listed under it too, wtf. Doesn't seem right at all.

Here's to hoping its only partially true and Thurrott will feel obligated to clear things up like he does with every other leak haha.

They're oooold.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think everyone liked it at the beginning because it was the first time that android had a distinct, semi-unified "look" to it. Never mind that it looked silly and that the conventions were all mixed up, at least it was more coherent than anything Google had tried before.

All I know is, next time I'm in a conference with Duarte, I'm starting a chant of OVER RATED *clap, clap......clap clap, clap*

Didn't Belfiore say in the leaked video that OEM's would have more customisation options for Windows Phone 8? Those leaked screens show the exact same UI as Mango. I wonder how OEM's are allowed to customise.

All I know is, next time I'm in a conference with Duarte, I'm starting a chant of OVER RATED *clap, clap......clap clap, clap*

You won't do that. Not, when he's in his pimp suit.

kcLtS.jpg

Roboto

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
meh, neither has monster fonts that take up half the page. :) Although I guess you can't age well when you were shitty to begin with

I'm not going to get into a debate on design with an android fan. There's a lot about android to like, I'm not defending its looks though, that's a brave stance to take.

Edit: Final fantasy looks good, but I wish it wasn't a rushed port. Tiny text sucks.

PG2G

Didn't Belfiore say in the leaked video that OEM's would have more customisation options for Windows Phone 8? Those leaked screens show the exact same UI as Mango. I wonder how OEM's are allowed to customise.

I don't think any of us want them customizing the UI, so thank god it still looks like Mango

venne

I suppose the biggest thing I want to see in Apollo is one app to rule them all. I want any Metro applications from Windows 8 to be compatible with Apollo and vice versa. I don't want to deal with multiple version of applications for multiple platforms. That's backwards.

If I get an application I should have it for Windows 8, Apollo, and (the next) Xbox without any more effort on my part.

I don't really know how to describe this, but is there any chance W8/WP8 will handle "unread" items better? So one situation is:

1. Friend sends me 5 FB chat messages
2. My W8 PC alerts me that I have 5 FB chat messages
3. My WP7 received the 5 FB chat messages
4. I actually respond to the messages using the Facebook client

So even though the messages are read/not new, my W8 messages live tile still shows "5 unread" and on my WP7, it says I have 5 unread "texts".

Same thing kinda happens with Mail, Calendar alerts, etc.

kehs

Banned
I don't really know how to describe this, but is there any chance W8/WP8 will handle "unread" items better? So one situation is:

1. Friend sends me 5 FB chat messages
2. My W8 PC alerts me that I have 5 FB chat messages
3. My WP7 received the 5 FB chat messages
4. I actually respond to the messages using the Facebook client

So even though the messages are read/not new, my W8 messages live tile still shows "5 unread" and on my WP7, it says I have 5 unread "texts".

Same thing kinda happens with Mail, Calendar alerts, etc.

That's usually service based and server-side dependent. What they need to do is push another notification to the device to clear them out.

frontieruk

I'm surprised more people are with me and still complaining about the one volume control for all thing on the phones.

I just want a higher resolution screen especially if we are going to get bigger phones. I'd also like more power, but I might not need something crazy. I'm still working with a launch phone, and supposedly the newer phones like the Lumia 800 and 900 are quiet a decent step up. It could help with some games as well as some slower apps IMO. I'm not saying I need some quad core processor in my phone though. I really don't.

I'd love a really nice DAC built into the phone though for music. Plus like everyone else here pureview = teh awesomness!

I emember the rumours that all wp7 handsets would half wolfson dacs like the zune hd, so much promise wasted :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
that was based on the GS1 correct? Thats what Sammy used back then in their series of phones, such a shame they didn't continue using it

When I was looking it up on google I saw that the gsIII will have the wolfson dac again, which is good news for the wp8 variant.

thirty

Banned
Have you checked out the coding academy lessons? They are A to the MAZING with no experience. They have both a general programming as well as an HTML version and then they merge the two to do things down the road.

Coding Academy

I can't recommend this enough for ANY who wants to learn some programming.

what a great site, thank you. seems like a fun easy way to learn a language.

According to some source Elop has fired a total of 40 000 employess and he's been the CEO less than two years.

I don't really care that much about Nokia, but whatever helps them to survive. Nokia was and is a big, bloated company. They had more employees than Microsoft and spent, I think, about 4 billion dollar on R&D and had over 5000 employees working on Smybian. That's pretty insane.

On a more hilarious note, Nokia just bought the IPs and talent from Scalado. RIM basically licensed the camera app from them, to implement it in BB10. Too bad it won't have any impact on the RIM deal.

GCX

I don't really care that much about Nokia, but whatever helps them to survive. Nokia was and is a big, bloated company. They had more employees than Microsoft and spent, I think, about 4 billion dollar on R&D and had over 5000 employees working on Smybian. That's pretty insane.
While that's all true, it remains to be seen how well the company can operate in the middle of constant restructures and changes. Huge layoffs every few months aren't really the best thing to motivate employees to try their best.

JaggedSac

Another mention of current phones getting upgraded with a subset of features. Also, a picture of what appears to be cloud stuff in the main settings of the phone. Wonder if they will allow 3rd party cloud solutions?

http://wmpoweruser.com/spy-shots-of-nokia-vertu-windows-phone-8-handset-with-64-gb-storage-leaked/

[MG]http://wmpoweruser.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/vertu1_thumb.jpg?e83a2c[/IMG]

[MG]http://wmpoweruser.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/vertu3_thumb.jpg?e83a2c[/IMG]

The design looks horrible with Blackberry like materials. But DAT STORAGE SPACE :)

Don't get your hopes up. The model sais Vertu. Vertu phones are luxury phones, usually thousands of euros/dollars.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Storage is going to be a big deal to me. I'm down to about 2gb and I still have another year and a half to go in this contract. Expandable storage should come back, and they should also offer more standard built in memory than 16gb. With data limits coming down and prices going up, storing everything on the cloud isn't an option for media.

kehs

Banned
Storage is going to be a big deal to me. I'm down to about 2gb and I still have another year and a half to go in this contract. Expandable storage should come back, and they should also offer more standard built in memory than 16gb. With data limits coming down and prices going up, storing everything on the cloud isn't an option for media.
I know it requires a total reset, but why not yank the embedded sd card and put a bigger one in?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I know it requires a total reset, but why not yank the embedded sd card and put a bigger one in?

I'm not sure the second gen phones use sd cards for storage. But if it was easy to do, I'd definitely do it, I need to do a reset anyway to fix my visual voicemail issues. Too bad the similar names makes google searches super difficult.

I don't see how Microsoft could enforce 32 GB of storage on handsets. It's possible to offer that much storage (see the Fujitsu Kawaii-desu in Japan), but manufacturers want to keep the costs as low as possible.

Which phone do you have?

I think he has the Galaxy S II - Windows edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom