• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winning Eleven Champions League.

Fifty

Hayami said:
heya Astro/Fifty, did you guys enter the 0-0 "tie" with Mrjelly?

Ok I just did that now. For your sake and for the sake of your stats I hope you guys don't have this problem again.

Srider

Banned
AstroLad said:
ggs soc I'll take a victory against you any day even if it means getting throttled the next game. ;)

In other news I played the 6th-ranked person and won a 3-2 game in golden goal OT with Drogba Chelsea-ManU. It's funny, every time I play a top person (this guy had a 64.5 win%, one of the highest I've seen) I expect to just be in total awe but really it's almost always a tight game like any other. There have been a handful of games I've played where I was just thinking WTF in terms of people seemingly being able to score at will but in retrospect it may just have been a couple AI defensive lapses + frustration b/c if this guy is beatable almost anyone is.

And GA competition is definitely up there. I'd say Soc easily ranks at least as good as most of these top guys just by comparison and when fifty is on w/ Real can drive me crazy. :D

Also guys I may be semi-away through the weekend since I've got some friends coming to visit, so run any league matters through fifty.

Yeah Soc is really good, probably harder than most of the high ranking guys I've played. Most of the high ranked guys are just there cause they pick good teams imo.

Socreges

Banned
Thanks for the generous comments, guys. I think AstroLad and I are fairly even matched, actually, despite us playing very different games. I'm more nuanced and focus on dribbling skills, while he uses the long ball and the wings very dangerously. Always makes for interesting games (barring that last one, haha).

Srider was a tough, nail-biting victory and, especially when looking at the standings and his 1 GA (surrendered against me), it's going to be a tight run for the division title (+ shoplifter).

Speaking of which, Srider, I have some free time right now that I didn't imagine earlier if you are able to get our game in.

P.S. Clear your pm box

Fifty

The new batch of games has been posted (one day earlier than usual). Look at your games and hopefully people can get the jump on it. Obviously earlier games are a priority, but play what you can.

Socreges

Banned
shoplifter, Daigoro, Astrolad -- let me know

I had said I wouldnt be available today/tonight, but decided to stay home and write my paper here. I can pause and play a league game whenever. I'll check this thread or my pm box periodically.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'll be available probably within the next hour or so, I'll hop on Lobby 5 soon; i have a block 3 game vs. osorio i'm hoping to play too, hopefully he pms me back.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Srider said:
Yeah Soc is really good, probably harder than most of the high ranking guys I've played. Most of the high ranked guys are just there cause they pick good teams imo.

Hey SRider, LB is waiting in Lobby5 right now for your 8PM EST game. GO!

And clean out your PM box.

Fifty

Mrjelly, I know you said as of tomorrow you won't have your PS2 for over a week, so if there's any way we can get our game in tonight that'd be great. Also, Bionic, I sent you a PM about our game.

Fifty said:
Mrjelly, I know you said as of tomorrow you won't have your PS2 for over a week, so if there's any way we can get our game in tonight that'd be great. Also, Bionic, I sent you a PM about our game.

Certainly, I sent a pm, but just in case Huka or Rorschach see this, I'm going to play my match with Fifty around 10:15 est. so if either of you guys can catch me after that let me know. Otherwise it'll have to wait until at least Sunday the 25th.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Game Recaps, ggs soc & osorio:

Newcastle-PSV Recap said:
Michael Owen continued his hot streak against division rivals PSV. PSV controlled the possession in the first half, but Owen and Alan Shearer were able to get a few chances on goal. While Shearer's recent finishing woes continue thanks to his aching knees, Owen was able to carry the team on the day.

Newcastle-AC Milan Recap said:
Both teams traded chances early on, but Newcastle were able to press offensively throughout thanks in part to the apparent poor form of several of AC Milan's top players. In a very tense game with several opportunities for both sides, Michael Owen was able to knock a strong header off of the post that ricocheted off of the head of Cafu and in for the deciding goal. The teams, ranked among the best in the league, gave us a possible preview of the finals.

Socreges

Banned
AstroLad said:
Game Recaps, ggs soc & osorio:
I really didn't play well, Astro, and you did. I felt like I was being pressed all game and I think it had a lot to do with me trying to rush an attack with short passes (that weren't being completed). There was no patience or creativity to my game and this became even worse as I fell behind and wanted to immediately recover. I tried to play a mechanical game and got beat in every facet. Condition is no excuse.

Anyway, gg. I look forward to trading wins with you in the future. :)

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Daigoro, Larry Bird and Osorio - let me know when you guys can play. I'm eager to get back on the pitch.

Wow, I've been having quite the season, my lack of finishing is starting to get depressing. Hitting multiple posts and still going scoreless really takes its toll. Damn, I need a win. :lol

Fifty

I feel for ya. After my awful start (I still managed to beat you then, that's how unlucky you are/were) I'll take any win, but I really didn't deserve that won. Sure I had plenty of shots that your keeper had to save, but you hit two freaking posts, and deserved at least one goal. I think you'll snap out of it....you played well and generated quality chances.

Haha, yeah, thanks dude. My season would have been completely redeemed if my goalie hit that volley shot at the end, I've never seen that happen before. :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
gg huka, recap for ya:

Newcastle-Liverpool Recap said:
Shay Given had a spectacular end to a Clean Sheet run, surrendering two goals to Milan Baros and an aggressive Liverpool side. The play got quite chippy after those two goals, and Newcastle quickly picked up two yellow cards and injured Luis Garcia in the process. After their manager reined in their emotions, Newcastle were able to put up a challenge for a game-ready Liverpool squad. Dyer, Shearer, and Owen all scored in the second half to give Newcastle a 3-2 lead. Owen's goal came in the 87th minute, but Crouch was able to shoot one at Given who let it dribble past him as the Magpies watched it roll in. A fitting end to a wild match and a well-earned draw for both teams.

GG Jelly. I think you just might be trying to counter too fast in your rush to get it up to Henry. I get into that rut too sometimes where I get frustrated nothing is flowing and I try and knock it up to my forwards as fast as I can, instead of slowing down a bit and letting the play build up. I try to remind myself to just take what the defense gives me and not be afraid to pass backwards if nothing is there. Doesn't always work out that way though. ;)

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
GG Jelly. I think you just might be trying to counter too fast in your rush to get it up to Henry. I get into that rut too sometimes where I get frustrated nothing is flowing and I try and knock it up to my forwards as fast as I can, instead of slowing down a bit and letting the play build up. I try to remind myself to just take what the defense gives me and not be afraid to pass backwards if nothing is there. Doesn't always work out that way though. ;)

Thanks for the tip man, I can see what your saying. Been thinking sorta the same thing actually, just haven't been able to call myself on it yet. I've been so frustrated with all my ties that I have been trying to get it to Henry and Reyes no matter what the situation, and with them it seems to work just often enough to keep me trying. Tonight will hopefully change my mind on the matter.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gentlemen, your leading scorer!

RonG.jpg

Yes, he accepts Krispy Kremes as bribes.

Srider

Banned
Err.. Larry Bird, I just got home now (1am). I was on GAF for 2 hours earlier today at school cause I had a break in between. Had to work on a mid term project from 11 in the morning, didn't expect it to take so damn long. I'm really sorry about this, but this hectic time is over for me since it's break from tomorrow. I've sent a pm and cleared my box.

Daigoro

hey guys.

kpop
Socreges
Beatbox

im off Friday night, so i have most of the day free to play. i have some time Saturday during the morning and afternoon. i have Sunday and Monday off.

lets see if i can claw my way out of last place in this fucking group of doom.

Srider said:
Err.. Larry Bird, I just got home now (1am). I was on GAF for 2 hours earlier today at school cause I had a break in between. Had to work on a mid term project from 11 in the morning, didn't expect it to take so damn long. I'm really sorry about this, but this hectic time is over for me since it's break from tomorrow. I've sent a pm and cleared my box.
No problem, man. We'll just play some time this weekend.

bionic77

sefskillz said:
i need you to beat bionic, mig. stay strong!!

If your computer controlled goalie wasn't a total cripple you wouldn't need to resort to this sort of cheerleading!

Also, does anyone here know if you can hook up two cable modems in the same household? I am going to be playing some games at my parents' house this weekend and I am sick of shitty unreliable wifi, so I want to know if I can just use my spare cable modem? Will Comcast let me run two cable modems from the same house?

And Hayami, either tonight or tommorrow you get a chance to face off against the Stuttgart machine.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
bionic77 said:
If your computer controlled goalie wasn't a total cripple you wouldn't need to resort to this sort of cheerleading!
haha, good stuff. by the power of ovechkinov, i will catch you yet.

bionic77

sefskillz said:
haha, good stuff. by the power of ovechkinov, i will catch you yet.

Ovechkinov is nothing. Take a look at the coach and owner of VF Stuttgart.

hasselhoff.png

"Keep your eyes on the ball next time Ovenwhatever."

Srider

Banned
Major collapse in defense today. Gave away a 1 point lead to lose the match. Goalie couldn't save a slow header from the edge of the box. Crappy clearance (header pass to the other team) let in a tap in and a volley. I couldn't believe those two goals. I missed a tap in at the corner, and Saha likes to pass to the invisible guy behind the goal instead of the wide open Rooney... Completely screwed up the chances to tie the game. Really good game though Hayami, I wasn't ready for such a fast paced game and Udinese is surprisingly fast in the wings. Need to pay attention if we meet again.

Hayami

Banned
Yeah, that first half was insane with the scoring. Almost nailed me the last half, though. It was Iaquinta that scored the 3rd goal towards the end of the first half, right? Forgot to write that down, but I think it was him.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
With the playoffs approaching, just a reminder of how the seeding will work.

Playoffs
- The two teams in each DIVISION with the most points will qualify for the playoffs. Also, the next two teams with the most points in each CONFERENCE will qualify. There will thus be a total of 6 playoff teams in each conference and 12 overall.
- Teams will be ranked in each conference accordingly:
o 1- Division winner with the most points.
o 2- Other division winner.
o 3- Division 2nd place with the most points.
o 4- Other division 2nd place.
o 5- Wild card with the most points.
o 6- Other wild card.
- First and Second Rounds
o 1-2 have byes
o 3 plays 6
o 4 plays 5
o 1 plays winner of 4-5
o 2 plays winner of 3-6.
- Playoff Format
o The clubs that advance to the knock-out stage play two matches (same settings as regular season) against each other on a home and away basis, with the club scoring the greater aggregate of goals qualifying for the next round. In the event of both teams scoring the same number of goals the team which scores more goals away qualifies. The second game should be set to Golden Goal extra time w/ PKs in case there is an overall tie (same aggregate goals, same number of away goals), and if there is a tie at the end of the second game but the series has been decided at the end of regulation of the second game players can just play the extra time for fun, but should not report any of those stats. These rules apply through the quarter-finals and semi-finals. The Final is decided by a single match (golden goal, PKs).

So here is the current Playoff Picture based on points:
http://sefskillz.com/gaf-we9/standings.php

Tiebreaker for seeds are head-to-head, goal differential, then 1 game golden goal PK playoff.

Conference 1
Byes: #1 Newcastle (AstroLad) & #2 Real (Fifty)
#3 Udinese (Hayami) vs. #6 Roma (Beatbox)
#4 Liverpool (huka) vs. #5 Lyon (Irish)
Outside Looking In:
#7 Villarreal (Garrickk)

Conference 2
Byes: #1 ManU (SRider) & #2 Stuttgart (bionic)
#3 AC Milan (Socreges) vs. #6 FC Barcelona (kpop)
#4 Bayern (FMT) vs. #5 Chelsea (shoplifter)
Outside Looking In:
#7 Juventus (Daigoro)

Everyone has to finish playing their round 7-9 games by tonight. I haven't gotten any PMs so I'd hate to start booting people and keeping them out of the Season 2 also.

shoplifter

GG Srider, that could have gone either way. The 2nd half was all yours, think i got 2 shots on goal in the 2nd, so much offensive pressure.

Srider

Banned
shoplifter said:
GG Srider, that could have gone either way. The 2nd half was all yours, think i got 2 shots on goal in the 2nd, so much offensive pressure.

Yeah these days all the games are super intense. Ferdinand failed me again today by knocking the ball straight to Drogba's head. Overall inconsistent play on my side with offside goals and screwing up open goals. Awesome play though, fast paced and tight play in the mid field. Good game.

Srider

Banned
Socreges,

Your PM box is full so I'm posting this here now. I'll be on AIM so im me if you see this before that time. I'll just hang out until you see this, or if I'm not on AIM, that means I'm logged on and waiting in lobby5. I didn't realize you sent your pm at 6 in the morning haha.

Top Bottom