• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Gintama 10

Same universe? Same universe.

GFfc7lb.png

I've been obsessed with this man's music ever since i first heard Viva Namida.

In this topic, those that have seen both subbed and dubbed Space Dandy, what's your preference? I love english Space Dandy, but don't care much for the other voices. How's the sub?

Subbed is amazing. I need to watch Space Dandy from Toonami off my DVR later to check out to dub

10 years ago I was watching GTO being broadcast for the first time in France. Good times.

Yay GTO!

The thing I love most about Gintama is how self-deprecating they are. Like for example, how later on in the shows there are like NO aliens. That mangaka not giving a fuck haha

sonicmj1

Unspace Battle Ship Yamato EP2

The first episode was decent, but this one has me feeling much more assured that this will be a good show.

It's still not in space though :C

If
the girl who crashed on mars is one of Starsha's sisters, am i to assume the other is that girl on the yamato? It's a bit confusing there...

You can't assume a goddamn thing in space. Not a goddamn thing!

In a way of explaining that reference, I read Herman Wouk's Pulitzer Prize-winning classic novel, The Caine Mutiny, on a plane trip home from holiday travels. Not only is it a staggeringly excellent book, it also gave me a little more appreciation for the Navy, and it made me think a little bit about Space Battleship Yamato.

I know I'm being unfair by comparing a remake of a 70s sci-fi show to a great novel, but I do kind of wish that they spent more time to the day-to-day life on board the Yamato. It's not as obviously exciting, and I wouldn't trade these awesome battles for anything, but I like getting to know the crew and how they act, and when I think about how devoted that book was to the tedium of discipline, maintenance, and readiness, it's a little odd to consider how absent those aspects of life are from Yamato. Perhaps it's all besides the point, considering that Caine is about life on a ship that almost never sees real action, while the Yamato is on a solo mission through enemy territory to save the world.

D-Frag! 01

vD4iUCCl.jpg

I liked it! It was pretty high energy, fun to see the main character get picked on. I like his seiyuu too makes all of it pretty fun to watch. And just looking from the ED, it looks like this craziness is just the tip of the iceberg.

You can't assume a goddamn thing in space. Not a goddamn thing!

In a way of explaining that reference, I read Herman Wouk's Pulitzer Prize-winning classic novel, The Caine Mutiny, on a plane trip home from holiday travels. Not only is it a staggeringly excellent book, it also gave me a little more appreciation for the Navy, and it made me think a little bit about Space Battleship Yamato.

I know I'm being unfair by comparing a remake of a 70s sci-fi show to a great novel, but I do kind of wish that they spent more time to the day-to-day life on board the Yamato. It's not as obviously exciting, and I wouldn't trade these awesome battles for anything, but I like getting to know the crew and how they act, and when I think about how devoted that book was to the tedium of discipline, maintenance, and readiness, it's a little odd to consider how absent those aspects of life are from Yamato. Perhaps it's all besides the point, considering that Caine is about life on a ship that almost never sees real action, while the Yamato is on a solo mission through enemy territory to save the world.

The Yamato is kind of lurching from one crisis to another, so it doesn't have too much time to sit around with the daily tedium of the ship. Plus the show only has 26 half-hour episodes to tell its story.

10 years ago I was watching GTO being broadcast for the first time in France. Good times.

And the french voices are quite horrible.

-----------
Yamato 2199 - 21

i kinda expected the reveal of "iscandar" to be something like this.

As for the events that occured in the
prison, well what a big stroke of luck .

For ito , i guess that he did something good , for once in this anime, he shall now be forgotten.

Jintor

Space Battleship Yamato 10

Oh man, what's going on? Good old warp drive fuck-up!

Events are moving quickly. Wow. First contact is here, and it's a hot blue skinned space babe. I love it. Good thing they invented telepathic translators, but I guess they are an Imperium-spanning race of space assholes.

To be honest, they kind of asceded to the 'let an enemy pilot onto your only hope for salvation' thing way too easily, but heck, it's space battleship yamato. I can give it a pass.

/edit LOL dimensional breach'd. Fucking awesome. I like that the Gamallion commander is just a complete, unrepetent snivelling asshole. Good stuff.

So the excuse I'm reading for Space Dandy dub not having the OP/ED is that they need more time for advertisement. But I know that FMA Brotherhood in AS had at the very least the OP, and OP's have an average of 1:30 in length. So does Space Dandy simply have more footage per episode? Or did advertisement get bigger since other anime came out?

Jintor

Personally I want something fucking Hiigaran worldship mothership scale. The Yamato is great, but it's pretty goddamn small.

So the excuse I'm reading for Space Dandy dub not having the OP/ED is that they need more time for advertisement. But I know that FMA Brotherhood in AS had at the very least the OP, and OP's have an average of 1:30 in length. So does Space Dandy simply have more footage per episode? Or did advertisement get bigger since other anime came out?

These days they almost always cut down the openings, but they still usually use the original openings and endings and then cut them down. I'm not sure why they chose to go with a new opening for Space Dandy rather than just butchering the original like they usually do.

AS did used to play full openings back in the day, but for awhile now they've cut most of them down due to ad time.

Tenumi

Banned
Yuushibu 12-end

captain ecchi picard and the gang board dragonship hentaiprise to stop the forces of evil through the power of capitalism. How else could it end? Fino is so adorable it hurts. Season two when? Ill buy it all.

This summary is reason enough for me to watch this show.

These days they almost always cut down the openings, but they still usually use the original openings and endings and then cut them down. I'm not sure why they chose to go with a new opening for Space Dandy rather than just butchering the original like they usually do.

It was likely a failure to secure music licensing rights for the OP and ED songs, I'm figuring.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Walkure Romance - 09

z7bSgSk.png
mFMv4Rb.png

Celia... GODDAMN!

Swimsuit episode, glorious episode.

Decided to check out the two VNs that this show came from and sad to say there were no CeliaxAkane scenes. Pointless VN is pointless.

Jintor

Yamato 11

Treachery! Terron treachery! Base and vile propaganda!

/edit fanservice! Space onsen! Base and vile propaganda!

//edit they really should have at least taken her space translator before she left though

It was likely a failure to secure music licensing rights for the OP and ED songs, I'm figuring.

While that could be true, that strikes me as odd given how far in advance this broadcast was determined, and with it being the world premiere and everything. I would have thought that would be one of the first things to be nailed down (as opposed to cases where shows get licensed much further down the line).

Syrinx

Nichijou 4

Why would you pull that gum clamp thing trick on a cat? The professor's a jerk. Anyway, Sakamoto-san is a cool cat. Those three are probably the most entertaining aspect of the show.

Also there's Mai-chan, who's quiet but also random and wild as fuck. I don't know what was going on during that test, but it was pretty funny. That conversation she had with Yukko was just cruelly awkward though. Her idea of a joke. I wouldn't want to be her enemy.

Space Brothers 79:
Poor Olga. She was so happy at the beginning, and then that crushing reality. Her scenes with Hibito this episode were all really good (despite Crunchyroll's subs completely missing the meaning of one line that even a first year Japanese student would pick up on). And now Hibito gets to 'return to see her again' once she's legal.

Russia episodes were all really good. I'll miss that cast of characters for sure. Ivan was great in just about all of his scenes. His final advice to Hibito was great, and I hope Hibito can put it to good use.

duckroll

While that could be true, that strikes me as odd given how far in advance this broadcast was determined, and with it being the world premiere and everything. I would have thought that would be one of the first things to be nailed down (as opposed to cases where shows get licensed much further down the line).

The songs are in Japanese, and they run for 90 seconds each. Considering it's a dubbed broadcast, I'm not really surprised at all that they chose to remove the songs and replace them with a different set of credit sequences which only ran 90 seconds total, and had no vocals.

Jintor

Is Ghale like "Vale"? I thought it was a title or name, but they seem to be using it like 'hail' or 'vale'.

Momento mori, Donel.

cajunator

Banned
just watched Space Dandy haven't been this excited watching an anime.
this anime puts me back watching the genre again

Glad you found something to rekindle you enjoyment.

Just watch it on Hulu. http://www.hulu.com/space-dandy

This the reason why I have yet to see Noragami and D-Frag!. Really hope the rest of FUNimation's simulcasts of the season are uploaded to Hulu soon.

Might resort to that. Funimations site . S just awful and makes me cry.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hamatora The Animation Episode 1:

Ah yes, it is about time I got some quality this season outside of BONES and Hamatora delivers it. A mostly solid introduction, though I am sure there was a better way to introduce the characters since I barley have a bead on any of them. Still, I am down for a bit of supernatural detective word and I am actually anticipating the next episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom