• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yamato 2199 - 23
Full spoilers needed because WTF
I don't even know where to start , first the emperor ... i just don't understand... in his quests , he totally lost his way in the most basic way possible. I can understand his goal of unification , but i sure don't understand how sacrifying his own people would lead them the right way . you're on the throne for 103 years for god sake ! i'd expect that from some rookie , some newbie , not from somone experimented

Bodyguard lie was to be expected after mori saved him and he was like smelling his hand .. it was nice , a nice sacrifice

Mori thinking was pretty good , i guess you don't have much options when you're in this situation ..Screw the damnsel in distress. Viva women who act.

The witch girl ..Well too bad for her , she lost her sister , she lost her saviour , heck her savior just left her to die...Again i don't understand this move.
Desler had no serious opposition at this point, your trusted follower is there and you leave her to die ? for what ?heck , all the general left were extra loyal at this point. I DONT UNDERSTAND.

This show is awesome.. but seriously i don't get it .

CorvoSol

Macross 26

Well any respect I had for the Zentradi just died. I mean, TV Boners is one thing, but the Lord Archivist has been reduced to imitating Lynn Minmay and demanding to see . . . fucking Kaifun. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. And the first thing he does? Pitch a bitch fit about how the military doesn't think about civilians. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

You know who is actually the best character in Macross, though? Mother Fucking Captain Global. Dude tells Kaifun to shut the fuck up and he DOES. He's always classy, ballsy, and tough as grits. Captain Global is the BOSS.

And then Kaifun spends the entire meeting like a bitch and when he hears the bad guys are coming whether he wants them to or not he doesn't say "Oh we should roll over and die" but "Oh no 5 million ships!" as in "that's too many for us to fight!" as in "we'll fight but lose!" as in Lynn Kaifun is endorsing warfare in the same breath he is announcing defeat. Because he's an enormous hypocrite and the only reasons he was interested in decrying war were fame and fucking his cousin.

Meanwhile Hikaru is still crying for Minmay. DUDE. MISA. DUDE.

In total fairness, the episode is not without its merits. The alliance between the Zentradi and the Macross is fairly well done, what with negotiations and such, and for what it is worth, the Zentradi devotion to a songstress is at once mythic and sweet in its own way, reminiscent of Wendy and the Lost Boys, except that Wendy had a brain that wasn't located in her cousin's pants, wheras Minmay . . .

I hate Lynn Minmay. I hate what she's become, but really I hate myself for liking her in the first place. Looking back I gave her a ton of slack for being a teenager who wasn't that bright, but this has moved well and beyond that. She may not be vindictive, hateful, or spiteful, but Lynn Minmay is utterly oblivious and in some ways that's just as bad. This girl has changed people's lives and been an irreplaceable part of the war, and yet . . . there's nothing to her character to make her worthy. She's not a good person, she's just too dumb to be an evil one. She writes a song about how her boyfriend is a pilot and yet never notices Hikaru's advances, let alone Kaifun's until he's proposed on TV and sexually assaulted her in a rubble heap. Her biggest complaint is how tired she is of the fame she so desperately craved when the show began. Since achieving that fame, she has utterly ceased to be anything other than Lynn Minmay, pop star. There was a point in the show where she had shades of character depth, where she mentions things to Hikaru beyond being a floozy paraded before the races. Now her head is as vaccuous as the cosmos without the ship. She never makes any decisions for herself, and never demonstrates any real personality traits anymore. She just walks into a room on Kaifun's arm, is oggled by a jealous Hikaru, sings a sappy song and exits chased by a bear, stage left.

I mean, GOD. At least Lacus actually had traits beyond perfect sugar pop star idol. Fucking SEED Destiny's Meer Campbell had the stones to subvert everything that Lacus and Minmay seem to be, and goddamnit, SEED had the balls to call its own pop star on her shit from the mouth of its own villain.

But Minmay, every scene is exactly the same for her, and has been for some time. It's aggravating. Why stop at Minmay, though? Hikaru and Kaifun both play out exactly the same whenever she's on screen. Meanwhile, Misa, Global, Brittai and the Archivist are actually doing shit and the plot is actually moving, but every time Minmay gets in there it screeches to a fucking halt so we can do EXACTLY THIS:

Ladies and Gentlemen it's Lynn Minmay!!
CROWD CHEERS
Hikaru is in crowd, he scowls/lookswhimsically
Kaifun enters scene
Hikaru angsts
*if military is present*
Kaifun pops his top to ensure the fun will stop, interrupting whatever plot-based scene had been happening
Minmay sings, probably My Boyfriend Is a Pilot for the TEN FUCKING BILLIONTH TIME (one hit wonder, she is.)
Minmay leaves
Plot resumes, probably with no consequences from Minmay's presence.

Girl's more a piece of the back-drop than anything else. Ask yourself: If Minmay had died 6 episodes ago, what would actually change? Nothing. Her music would go on, the Zentradi would defect anyway since the process had already begun, Hikaru would continue to angst, Kaifun would remain a sourpuss, the UN Spacey would continue their plans to fire their frickin' laser beam at the Zentradi and the Zentradi would continue their campaign to send all their ships at a single planet in spite of currently fighting a separate war.

So basically, Minmay could be as dead as she is to me and nothing would change.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
At the rate he's going, Cajun's going to make Winter OT2 come within the next month or so!

Quick! Someone come up with another thread title!

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| SAO-based thread explosion in T-10...9...8...
Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| We <3 Attack on Titan
Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| The Quarterbacks of NeoGAF
Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| RIP in peace Non Non Biyori ;_;

CorvoSol

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| For Your Country, Kirito-Kun!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| No more sister shows!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Foreshadowing at its finest.
It's funny because it changed slots several times throughout its run.

Hunter x hunter & One piece would like a word with you.
I'm going to assume it's better than HxH even though I know nothing about it. lol

Gintama is actually one of the best selling shounen anime adaptations - the best selling, I believe, for a show that has gone on as long as it has. (The original Fullmetal Alchemist is the best selling overall, but it only lasted a year.)
Both shows feel like fangirl bait though. Surely there's a lot of Mustang x Hughes doujin out there, just as much as there is Gintoki x Hijikata doujin. Perhaps being so short and airing so intermittently helps it be less transient, because One Piece is just something you watch whenever it's on, like The Simpsons, where Gintama might be something you want to own, like... well, I dunno, Archer.

The Gintama manga is one of the better selling manga in Jump.
Now this kind of surprises me. Although maybe the fuji want to own it as well. I'm sure if you casually watch One Piece every week, you are probably also fine with just reading it in the magazine and then recycling it when the next one comes around.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Gintama - 13

Hmmmm.

luM1jY8.png

Yamato 2199 - 24

OK i'm a little more understanding of desler motives now.

But
He lost his way big time... He choose the quicker path , forgot his ideals , forgot his path and failed while leaving everything that should have helped him behind

It's a real shame because
he clearly had the intelligence and the insight to think things properly.

For the rest of this episode. It was quite alright , some revelations here and there ...

zeroshiki

Now this kind of surprises me. Although maybe the fuji want to own it as well. I'm sure if you casually watch One Piece every week, you are probably also fine with just reading it in the magazine and then recycling it when the next one comes around.

The magazine is big, unwieldy and is made of shit paper. I actually make it a point to buy the tankobon for the manga I like rather than buy the magazines because of this.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Aikatsu! 24

...Rape blossoms?

DKBggGrl.jpg

aka nanohana in Japan, where I think they're a more commonly-recognized flower than they are in the West. I've seen them referenced in several shows, like the first Pani Poni Dash OP. Wiki says that the name comes from the Latin for turnip, but this is probably one instance where translators are probably better off using the Japanese name or the scientific name just to avoid the WUT? from 95% of the people watching.

Syrinx

DKBggGrl.jpg

aka nanohana in Japan, where I think they're a more commonly-recognized flower than they are in the West. I've seen them referenced in several shows, like the first Pani Poni Dash OP. Wiki says that the name comes from the Latin for turnip, but this is probably one instance where translators are probably better off using the Japanese name or the scientific name just to avoid the WUT? from 95% of the people watching.

Yeah they probably should. I did a double take there for a minute I was like "...Excuse me?".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom