• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Well, hopefully you'll enjoy the next episode. It's one of my favorite episodes of television, ever.

Like I said, this episode wasn't all bad, and unlike some shows the plot is certainly moving along. I think I've got my finger on Minmay and Kaifun as the thing that ticks me off, so I ought to be able to, if not overlook them, look around them at least. Next episode does promise to have some good action, and hopefully we get Misa back on the Macross, which will make things better I think.

cajunator

Banned
DKBggGrl.jpg

aka nanohana in Japan, where I think they're a more commonly-recognized flower than they are in the West. I've seen them referenced in several shows, like the first Pani Poni Dash OP. Wiki says that the name comes from the Latin for turnip, but this is probably one instance where translators are probably better off using the Japanese name or the scientific name just to avoid the WUT? from 95% of the people watching.

Is that where they get rapeseed oil from? (lorenzos oil)

Yamato 2199 - 25

All my fears and deductions were meet in this episode.

The witch was betrayed, various attempts for peace failed , and many many deaths.

So now desler is really dead , right ?

So well , the order of weapons now seem simple.

wave cannon > beam cannon > shell cannon > wave cannon... logic

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The one with the boobs or the one with the hopes and dreams?
Boobs!

They're not really comparable. HxH is a trope-subverting shounen while Gintama is a straight-up comedy.
Yeah, I have no idea about HxH. Maybe it's the best thing ever... but Gintama will always be the best thing in my heart!

The magazine is big, unwieldy and is made of shit paper. I actually make it a point to buy the tankobon for the manga I like rather than buy the magazines because of this.
I dunno, I look at it like reading comic strips back when I used to get a newspaper. There were like a dozen strips in there that I would read, but I have no interest in owning any of them in collected form.
I'm sure there are lots of people who read One Piece and Naruto and whatever but don't have an interest in having a shelf full of the stuff.

Aikatsu! 22

Bdbm_QmCIAA7uUT.png

Gentlemen please, contain your goggles

Raichi stop sniffing your sister's friends... and your sister for that matter. Better yet, he's not the same height! He's practically sniffing their cr---ooooooh.... oooooooooooh....

In other news, Raichi has some serious balls here. He's pretty alpha for a little brother
and he has taste

Hajime no Ippo: Rising 8:
Oh man, that meat eating scene was incredible. The whole discussion between Sawamura and his teacher was wonderful. I also loved when Aoki and Kimura told off Ippo for trying to act cool when he had no clue what he was going to do. This show can definitely get the comedic timing down to a science.

And things are improved for Ippo with
the return of Vorg; definitely a welcome sight for him and the viewers. I loved their discussion as Ippo worked in the yard.

I dunno, I look at it like reading comic strips back when I used to get a newspaper. There were like a dozen strips in there that I would read, but I have no interest in owning any of them in collected form.
I'm sure there are lots of people who read One Piece and Naruto and whatever but don't have an interest in having a shelf full of the stuff.

Each new volume of One Piece sells more than the total circulation of Weekly Shounen Jump. There might be some people who do given that there are plenty of people who only read One Piece in volume form, but I think you're underestimating things here. Most people who enjoy a series will want to buy the collected editions (which are fairly cheap, anyway), because of the massive increase in quality.

Quasar

Absolutely.

Thank goodness the manga is following her route.

Not read that.

I'm just glad the anime didn't end with Mio beating Celia and then Takahiro choosing Mio.

I still think it was pretty terrible. A haremy anime based on an eroge and it has no real romance / sexy component for the most part. Very different from say the last thing based on a Riccotta eroge, Princess Lover. Which is exactly what I imagine when I think of a ecchi anime based on an eroge.

Yamato 2199 - 26 [end]

This was an incredible journey ... i have few words that i haven't said before.
So many complicated feeligns

As a whole this anime was 9.8/10 material ... ..Tommorrow i'll think how i'll had it to my near complete AOTY list but right ,now i need to digest this finale.

WhAT A RIDE... i dunno if "manly tears" is the right way to feel about this ending but i sure liked it.

What a journey , so many "moments" , so many disapointment , so many experiences. Impressive stuff.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Each new volume of One Piece sells more than the total circulation of Weekly Shounen Jump. There might be some people who do given that there are plenty of people who only read One Piece in volume form, but I think you're underestimating things here. Most people who enjoy a series will want to buy the collected editions (which are fairly cheap, anyway), because of the massive increase in quality.
I dunno then... someone said that Gintama was the highest selling title, so I assumed that people didn't buy One Piece. lol
Either way, I feel like Gintama is the "lower tier" franchise when it comes to the shounen stuff. But I only get that impression based on the fact that they let the anime go idle while other shows will just throw in filler in order to keep the show on the air for as long as possible.

I mean, we can just assume that One Piece will end whenever it actually ends. With Gintama, it always feels like the show is on the verge of being cancelled. Hell, they couldn't even extend the anime an extra season to promote the movie. I feel like if the One Piece guys wanted more episodes or whatever, they would have gotten them.

I dunno then... someone said that Gintama was the highest selling title, so I assumed that people didn't buy One Piece. lol
Either way, I feel like Gintama is the "lower tier" franchise when it comes to the shounen stuff. But I only get that impression based on the fact that they let the anime go idle while other shows will just throw in filler in order to keep the show on the air for as long as possible.

I mean, we can just assume that One Piece will end whenever it actually ends. With Gintama, it always feels like the show is on the verge of being cancelled. Hell, they couldn't even extend the anime an extra season to promote the movie. I feel like if the One Piece guys wanted more episodes or whatever, they would have gotten them.

Gintama isn't the highest selling title, but it is one of the higher selling titles. It can comfortably outsell most of Jump's offerings, even if the sales have declined somewhat from their glory days where it would easily get 600,000 a volume.

One Piece pretty much towers over everything, but Gintama is pretty solidly in the second tier of Jump's properties when it comes to sales. It's always been an extremely strong performer in the TOC rankings and in sales.

As far as them letting the show go idle, well most new properties do that nowadays. The days of a show just doing endless filler or bad pacing to stay on the air has mostly been reduced to legacy titles (and I'm not sure why someone would want that for a favored title). Toriko is following in that path, but most new shows of long running manga now just go seasonal, even when they're extremely popular (look at Kuroko which is one of the most popular series out there right now).

In fact, I would actually say that Gintama's anime paints an extremely good picture. It's yet to miss airing in a single year, even as they adopt strange schedules. To me, that shows the high level of popularity the series has, and the fact that they're always willing to bring it back when they have more material to animate. History is lined with anime which took a break because they got too close to the manga and then never returned, or maybe had one extra season but had to wait years for it. Gintama has probably gotten the absolute best deal out of just about any property when it comes to treatment in anime form. It shows just how massively popular the series is in both manga and anime form.

White Album 2 13

Sure, lie to him you didn't want him as your boyfriend and love him as much as Touma. Because we all know that's going to fix everything.

Oh, and meeting her at the airport? Wonderful idea. I'm sure nothing could possibly go wrong for you.

Absolutely.

Nothing.

Also screw that half screen of darkness. Don't try and deny me someone getting plowed hard enough to barely walk in the morning.

Now that the season is over, let's talk about main characters. First up is Haruki, who is the perfect example of a mix bag. There's the completely likable and smart fellow that appeared before the school festival, and then there's this dumbass who decided to take over after that ended. If he just stayed like his earlier self, I honestly would have ranked him in the upper echelon of protagonist from last year. Sadly, it was just not meant to be. Damn sure I loved how everything didn't end perfectly for him. He's absolutely lucky neither of these girls took up an interest with knives. Touma is best girl without a doubt, but there's no denying she screwed up almost as badly as Haruki. If there's anything she should have learned after everything that's happened, is to never bide and wait. Gather up that courage and make your move so you don't have to go through the suffering. Finally, there's Setsuna. Nice girl, with a twinge of being controlling, whose entire situation went down the shitter the moment they came back from that vacation. I absolutely hate how she thinks its wrong to have acted on her feelings. That is not wrong and she should not have regretted over that fact at all. She's just the unfortunate case of being the losing member in this type of anime.

And while I may have gripes about how the characters acted in the later half compared to earlier on, they still managed to keep me interested the entire time. That's all I really need when watching a romance series and this show did it incredibly well. Helps that the music was very lovely.

8/10 Good. Either give me a second season or I'm going to track down that VN.

Gintama isn't the highest selling title, but it is one of the higher selling titles. It can comfortably outsell most of Jump's offerings, even if the sales have declined somewhat from their glory days where it would easily get 600,000 a volume.

One Piece pretty much towers over everything, but Gintama is pretty solidly in the second tier of Jump's properties when it comes to sales. It's always been an extremely strong performer in the TOC rankings and in sales.

As far as them letting the show go idle, well most new properties do that nowadays. The days of a show just doing endless filler or bad pacing to stay on the air has mostly been reduced to legacy titles (and I'm not sure why someone would want that for a favored title). Toriko is following in that path, but most new shows of long running manga now just go seasonal, even when they're extremely popular (look at Kuroko which is one of the most popular series out there right now).

In fact, I would actually say that Gintama's anime paints an extremely good picture. It's yet to miss airing in a single year, even as they adopt strange schedules. To me, that shows the high level of popularity the series has, and the fact that they're always willing to bring it back when they have more material to animate. History is lined with anime which took a break because they got too close to the manga and then never returned, or maybe had one extra season but had to wait years for it. Gintama has probably gotten the absolute best deal out of just about any property when it comes to treatment in anime form. It shows just how massively popular the series is in both manga and anime form.

So I can assume the movie is yet again another "the show is cancelled" joke?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So how close is the Bleach manga to wrapping up? I want to know if I should even remotely expect the anime to revive in the next year.

JoeFu

Banned
Monogatari 20

:( Hachikuji :( :( :( :(

I'm seriously sad right now :( Hachikuji was the best :( a;slkgjasl;kfjasl;kgja;lskdfjh;ljgag;lkj

Not read that.

I'm just glad the anime didn't end with Mio beating Celia and then Takahiro choosing Mio.

I still think it was pretty terrible. A haremy anime based on an eroge and it has no real romance / sexy component for the most part. Very different from say the last thing based on a Riccotta eroge, Princess Lover. Which is exactly what I imagine when I think of a ecchi anime based on an eroge.

Mio winning would have been terrible.

And I'm still waiting for Riccotta to do us justice and make a Celia H-OVA.

So how close is the Bleach manga to wrapping up? I want to know if I should even remotely expect the anime to revive in the next year.

Still in the phase of battling the final boss(?) elite soldiers.

So no final fight anytime soon.

No new revelations about the Spirit King.

And no Aizen getting out and trolling everyone in the vicinity.

CorvoSol

Guys, I'm hesitant to ask this because I'm starting a new semester and because Happy Science has stalled my trip down the List and because I'm watching like a gajillion shows right now anyway, but seeing as how I no longer have Monogatari to fill my time . . .

If you could recommend Corvo watched 1 anime, non-mecha, what would you recommend?

Like in all seriousness. Doesn't have to be giant robots, doesn't have to be crazy ass List shit, but if you could recommend me 1 show that you think is great or that I'd like or something, I kinda want ideas. I know I have some suggestions here from folks, but lemme pick yo' brains a bit.

So, I take it I should start getting caught up with HxH now, since based on what it sounds like,
it's Netero vs Meruem time?

I've got so much stuff to finish and start and catch up on. :/

I'm even thinking about watching Aku no Hana for the AOTY thread. I'm not entirely sure that's a good idea if I want to vote on time.

Actually, regarding that, the 2nd movie was planned to get released at the beginning of Spring which would fit the timing of when the last season ended.

But I guess delays and what not pushed it to a summer release and the time slot was already given away to another show (I think Aikatsu!) so they couldn't keep showing Gintama until the end of Spring to match the release of the movie, lol.

Which is different for One Piece since it has had that time spot since I guess forever by now.

Gintama (Yoshiwara arc)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH FUCKIN' A these fights were so cool! Kagura's especially, god damn. I hope Kamui comes back to wreak havoc and to fight Kagura or something, but until then I guess it's back to our much needed comedy-shounen now with a contended for best girl!

Also the ending to this #dead.

If you could recommend Corvo watched 1 anime, non-mecha, what would you recommend?

Like in all seriousness. Doesn't have to be giant robots, doesn't have to be crazy ass List shit, but if you could recommend me 1 show that you think is great or that I'd like or something, I kinda want ideas. I know I have some suggestions here from folks, but lemme pick yo' brains a bit.
Haibane Renmei.

Guys, I'm hesitant to ask this because I'm starting a new semester and because Happy Science has stalled my trip down the List and because I'm watching like a gajillion shows right now anyway, but seeing as how I no longer have Monogatari to fill my time . . .

Have you seen either Serial Experiments Lain or Paranoia Agent?

jman2050

Princess Tutu

Jarmel

Banned

Fullmetal Alchemist. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

You want awesome characters and badass GAR moments, watch Fullmetal.

You already like half of BONES's catalogue and either Fullmetal is one of their better works easily.

Quasar

Natsume.

Its my discovery of the year. And its episodic enough that you watch it piecemeal pretty well.

Also Aishiteruze Baby. My favourite 'dude asked to raise a kid' anime. Like it more than Usagi Drop. Though it is very low rent in terms of animation.

Hamatora 01

WHUM3P7l.jpg

I like it. Definitely very stylish, nice use of colors.

The way powers work in this show is pretty interesting. I wonder if some people got cursed with some stupid requirement before they get to use their own powers.

I wouldn't mind if this ends up being a weekly case show. Just the style itself would keep me want to keep watching.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 4:
Probably the tightest episode yet. There was a really tense atmosphere to the events, especially once
the group found themselves on the Yukikaze (and that had a really wonderful atmosphere all around, the direction and imagery were top not)
. The quieter episode allowed them to spend more time with the characters, and I feel like I know some of them much better now. I hope there are even more episodes like this that give me more insight to what makes them tick.

zeroshiki

Hyouka? K-On?

I don't watch terrible shows so I can't recommend you stuff of that type unfortunately.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Walkure Romance - 11-12 [END]

1QM2SAL.png

Not even this OTP can save this show

Aside from a few moments of Akane drooling over Celia in the first few episodes, this isn't really worth anyone's time. The CG jousting was absurd, and the Male MC had no personality whatsoever. It was like watching paint dry to listen to him talk, absolutely uninteresting in every shape and form. Only saving grace in this show were the character designs for the women, particularly Celia and Bertille. For anyone who plans to check this out in the future due to the women, do yourself a favor and check out the game itself as it will give you what you're most likely looking for
you pervs. :p

Mature

I don't know what you've seen, so i'll randomly suggest And Yet the Town Moves.

Kazzy

This was something I was wondering myself. I started reading at the beginning of the 'final' arc, though it quickly became apparent that they were going to take their sweet time wrapping that up too.
I dropped it when all the Captains starting 'dying', haha!

CorvoSol

Haibane Renmei.

Hmmm

Have you seen either Serial Experiments Lain or Paranoia Agent?

I've seen parts of Paranoia Agent. I might check that out.

Princess Tutu

I . . . might pass unless further elaboration proves convincing.

Fullmetal Alchemist. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

You want awesome characters and badass GAR moments, watch Fullmetal.

You already like half of BONES's catalogue and either Fullmetal is one of their better works easily.

I know, I know. I have to get to this one some time.

Natsume.

Its my discovery of the year. And its episodic enough that you watch it piecemeal pretty well.

Also Aishiteruze Baby. My favourite 'dude asked to raise a kid' anime. Like it more than Usagi Drop. Though it is very low rent in terms of animation.

Aishteruze might be worth checking out.

Hyouka's too good for Corvo.

My tastes and reactions are so crazy I honestly don't know what qualifies as too good for me, other than that I've indulged in so much filth that regular anime could well qualify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom