• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Dude, I love Chet Rippo as much as the next guy but I'm not watching K-On. Hyouka has been a source of constant controversy, though . . .

Its not really controversial considering it got AOTY here last year. It only seems that way because it has a small number of vocal detractors and then a bunch of guys very defensive about it.

I don't know what Chet Rippo has made you think about it but K-On is a good show. Its much more of a comedy at first but it settles down into a great show about nothing with fun characters.

Gazoinks

I don't know what you've seen, so i'll randomly suggest And Yet the Town Moves.

This is a good recommendation. Very nice surprise for me.

I'll also second Lain and Haibane. I need to rewatch/finish them, but they're both very good. Plus ABe art. aBe? I forget how to stylize it.

Jarmel

Banned
I know, I know. I have to get to this one some time.

Honestly, it depends on your mood. If you want action, FMA will give you plenty of that. You like badass leads and FMA has two of them. You'll like it, a lot.

tumblr_msyumdTKpR1sh5vt7o1_500.gif

Shergal

I feel like Corvo could write an essay about how much of a jerk Satoshi is.

On the other hand, Haibane Renmei and Paranoia Agent are both shorter and great as well.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Guys, I'm hesitant to ask this because I'm starting a new semester and because Happy Science has stalled my trip down the List and because I'm watching like a gajillion shows right now anyway, but seeing as how I no longer have Monogatari to fill my time . . .

If you could recommend Corvo watched 1 anime, non-mecha, what would you recommend?

Like in all seriousness. Doesn't have to be giant robots, doesn't have to be crazy ass List shit, but if you could recommend me 1 show that you think is great or that I'd like or something, I kinda want ideas. I know I have some suggestions here from folks, but lemme pick yo' brains a bit.

My brain says Seirei no Moribito, but my heart says Trigun. Do you want cerebral legit godtier anime badass or most-90s-action-anime-ever badass?

zeroshiki

Aishiteruze Baby wishes it were as good as Usagi Drop. I love the show to bits but its not in Usagi Drop's league. AiBaby doesn't even end properly.

CorvoSol

I don't know what you've seen, so i'll randomly suggest And Yet the Town Moves.

Was it you or Dresden who recommended me an incest anime when I asked for a romance? Nevertheless, I'll check this one out.

Its not really controversial considering it got AOTY here last year. It only seems that way because it has a small number of vocal detractors and then a bunch of guys very defensive about it.

I don't know what Chet Rippo has made you think about it but K-On is a good show. Its much more of a comedy at first but it settles down into a great show about nothing with fun characters.

I'm not ready for K-On GAF.

Hyouka would be a good choice. Tsuritama is another recent show that I can recommend wholeheartedly.

Fishing anime does look interesting.

jbug617

Banned
If you could recommend Corvo watched 1 anime, non-mecha, what would you recommend?

Like in all seriousness. Doesn't have to be giant robots, doesn't have to be crazy ass List shit, but if you could recommend me 1 show that you think is great or that I'd like or something, I kinda want ideas. I know I have some suggestions here from folks, but lemme pick yo' brains a bit.

I know you said no mecha but I want you to watch Asura Cryin'.

To fit your criteria how about Working!!

Quasar

Aishiteruze Baby wishes it were as good as Usagi Drop. I love the show to bits but its not in Usagi Drop's league. AiBaby doesn't even end properly.

Bah.

At least it has a kid who acts as such. And its not like Usagi ends..and thank god it doesn't.

zeroshiki

Was it you or Dresden who recommended me an incest anime when I asked for a romance? Nevertheless, I'll check this one out.

I'm not ready for K-On GAF.

Fishing anime does look interesting.

The Hyouka Cultural Festival will blow your mind, I guarantee it.

jman2050

I . . . might pass unless further elaboration proves convincing.

I'm not trying to List you or anything, just trust me on that one. Or trust other people who have watched it, wherever they are.

Hyouka I think is right up your alley too. I, um... do not like K-On. Yeah, let's go with that.

CorvoSol

Honestly, it depends on your mood. If you want action, FMA will give you plenty of that. You like badass leads and FMA has two of them. You'll like it, a lot.

tumblr_msyumdTKpR1sh5vt7o1_500.gif

See I'm not sure whether I'm looking to fill the hole Monogatari left, or the hole Gun/Diebuster left. If I could find something that hit both spots that'd be great.

I feel like Corvo could write an essay about how much of a jerk Satoshi is.

On the other hand, Haibane Renmei and Paranoia Agent are both shorter and great as well.

Paranoia Agent is in the lead at the moment.

My brain says Seirei no Moribito, but my heart says Trigun. Do you want cerebral legit godtier anime badass or most-90s-action-anime-ever badass?

I might go for the former.

From what I gather you either like mech shows, or terrible shit Corvo. So that's a huge range to cover.

Hey I watch good shows too! That aren't mecha! Like Utena and Bunny Drop!

Jarmel

Banned
See I'm not sure whether I'm looking to fill the hole Monogatari left, or the hole Gun/Diebuster left. If I could find something that hit both spots that'd be great.

Hyouka will fit neither. FMA will fit the Diebuster hole but not the Monogatari one. There really isn't much like Monogatari. You could try Wolf's Rain but that's super serious.

CorvoSol

Why not do both!

Destiny
V

Hey SEED wasn't bad it just looked bad.
All of them are Gundams :(

I know you said no mecha but I want you to watch Asura Cryin'.

To fit your criteria how about Working!!

That sounds odd, will watch eventually.

The Hyouka Cultural Festival will blow your mind, I guarantee it.

Hmmmm. I swear if it is Ghost House or Maid Cafe I'll smack Japan.

I'm not trying to List you or anything, just trust me on that one. Or trust other people who have watched it, wherever they are.

Hyouka I think is right up your alley too. I, um... do not like K-On. Yeah, let's go with that.

I dunno, I don't really need more List stuff at the moment.

I have feeling Corvo will write another essay about how similar Chitanda to Hamann Karn if he watching Hyouka.

Every woman is Haman Khan in my heart.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Shimakaze figma just showed up on AmiAmi and it is already sold out.

The fuck!?

Amiami can be overly conservative with their initial stock estimates, especially for popular items. Just keep checking back. That said, for instance when One Piece was at the peak of its popularity some Portrait of Pirates figurines used to sell out within minutes and never stocked again, so sometimes you really are SOL if you weren't camping the site.

Also keep an eye to HLJ if you don't mind paying more. It's not listed there yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
White Album 2 13

Sure, lie to him you didn't want him as your boyfriend and love him as much as Touma. Because we all know that's going to fix everything.

Oh, and meeting her at the airport? Wonderful idea. I'm sure nothing could possibly go wrong for you.

Absolutely.

Nothing.
8/10 Good. Either give me a second season or I'm going to track down that VN.
Is this a Kanna moment?! lol

Gintama isn't the highest selling title, but it is one of the higher selling titles. It can comfortably outsell most of Jump's offerings, even if the sales have declined somewhat from their glory days where it would easily get 600,000 a volume.

One Piece pretty much towers over everything, but Gintama is pretty solidly in the second tier of Jump's properties when it comes to sales. It's always been an extremely strong performer in the TOC rankings and in sales.

As far as them letting the show go idle, well most new properties do that nowadays. The days of a show just doing endless filler or bad pacing to stay on the air has mostly been reduced to legacy titles (and I'm not sure why someone would want that for a favored title). Toriko is following in that path, but most new shows of long running manga now just go seasonal, even when they're extremely popular (look at Kuroko which is one of the most popular series out there right now).

In fact, I would actually say that Gintama's anime paints an extremely good picture. It's yet to miss airing in a single year, even as they adopt strange schedules. To me, that shows the high level of popularity the series has, and the fact that they're always willing to bring it back when they have more material to animate. History is lined with anime which took a break because they got too close to the manga and then never returned, or maybe had one extra season but had to wait years for it. Gintama has probably gotten the absolute best deal out of just about any property when it comes to treatment in anime form. It shows just how massively popular the series is in both manga and anime form.

I suppose getting a 13 episode run a year is probably better than a lot of shows that just disappear completely.

I just don't see Naruto or One Piece ever being forced to schlep around like that, but I suppose in my head, Gintama filler episodes would be just as good as manga-based episodes. lol

Hell, even if they really did a run where it was just Gintoki in high school for 13 episodes, I'd be perfectly happy with that.

I hope that the franchise really isn't done and they mention the movie in some trolly kind of way if it comes back... but the fact that they finally gave us the White Demon arc feels like they went all out because there was nothing to hold back.

jman2050

I dunno, I don't really need more List stuff at the moment.

Bah, if only I could do more to convince you but everything I could use to sell the show is laden with spoilers except the infamous guitar ninjas image, which I don't think really makes much sense anyway.

fertygo

Couldn't be more ironic time to post Nichijou .gif
Hyouka will fit neither. FMA will fit the Diebuster hole but not the Monogatari one. There really isn't much like Monogatari. You could try Wolf's Rain but that's super serious.

At least he watching something different, I think that's what he seek anyway with mentioning monogatari, that's where Hyouka perfect the bill.

jman2050

I love the show to death but my gut tells me Corvo would find Toradora more frustrating than anything else.

If you want to try it though then by all means.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
yowamushi pedal - 13

firehawk street
Amazing. It needs to intersect with SatoJun Drive.

Gintama (Yoshiwara arc)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH FUCKIN' A these fights were so cool! Kagura's especially, god damn. I hope Kamui comes back to wreak havoc and to fight Kagura or something, but until then I guess it's back to our much needed comedy-shounen now with a contended for best girl!

Also the ending to this #dead.

Haibane Renmei.
Just wait until you get to Red Spider. Tsukky really is the best character and solidifies her position at that point. There's a reason why she's simultaneously the most popular female character on the show and the most hated character by female anime fans. lol

Actually, regarding that, the 2nd movie was planned to get released at the beginning of Spring which would fit the timing of when the last season ended.

But I guess delays and what not pushed it to a summer release and the time slot was already given away to another show (I think Aikatsu!) so they couldn't keep showing Gintama until the end of Spring to match the release of the movie, lol.

Which is different for One Piece since it has had that time spot since I guess forever by now.
Yeah, I know! But I figure if Gintama had bigger pull as a franchise, the network would have made an exception somehow.

Jarmel

Banned

Toradora is another good pick but that would fill the Macross void.
Why yes, I have watched Eureka Seven.

Ha, I guess you have seen it(or at least heard enough about it).

At least he watching something different, I think that's what he seek anyway with mentioning monogatari, that's where Hyouka perfect the bill.

Depends if he's talking about tone or not.

Edit:Now that I think about it, Ouran High School Host Club might be a good fit.

cajunator

Banned
Hmmm

I've seen parts of Paranoia Agent. I might check that out.

I . . . might pass unless further elaboration proves convincing.

I know, I know. I have to get to this one some time.

Aishteruze might be worth checking out.

My tastes and reactions are so crazy I honestly don't know what qualifies as too good for me, other than that I've indulged in so much filth that regular anime could well qualify.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9197GTl1ASg

zeroshiki

I love the show to death but my gut tells me Corvo would find Toradora more frustrating than anything else.

If you want to try it though then by all means.

He should do it in reverse and watch Golden Time first. Toradora will seem like manna from heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom