• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yamato 2199 - 23
Full spoilers needed because WTF
I don't even know where to start , first the emperor ... i just don't understand... in his quests , he totally lost his way in the most basic way possible. I can understand his goal of unification , but i sure don't understand how sacrifying his own people would lead them the right way . you're on the throne for 103 years for god sake ! i'd expect that from some rookie , some newbie , not from somone experimented

Bodyguard lie was to be expected after mori saved him and he was like smelling his hand .. it was nice , a nice sacrifice

Mori thinking was pretty good , i guess you don't have much options when you're in this situation ..Screw the damnsel in distress. Viva women who act.

The witch girl ..Well too bad for her , she lost her sister , she lost her saviour , heck her savior just left her to die...Again i don't understand this move.
Desler had no serious opposition at this point, your trusted follower is there and you leave her to die ? for what ?heck , all the general left were extra loyal at this point. I DONT UNDERSTAND.

This show is awesome.. but seriously i don't get it .

100 years unopposed. Now the Yamato is coming, there have been mutiny's I suspect Dessler is getting more and more precarious. The moment he lost power to control the fleet is when, imo, he switched to some delusional idiot fuelled by bitterness.

You know, the scene where Dessler shoots I see it as an accident. Dessler was probably really nervous and the elf girl just runs in on this tense situation with some pyscho blast that probably scared him or made him fear for his life and he shot without really knowing who he has shot. Not that he really cared for her.

CorvoSol

Man first Corvo rebuffs Princess Tutu, then I have to hold back my nausea from having to legitimately recommend a KEY work I actually liked, and now I read this post!

All I'm missing is one of those #TeamAmi losers showing up.

I was never going to watch Princess Tutu that easily.

Aikatsu! 24

pWZf2Rd.jpg

Lewd!

It's a Hotsprings episode
but not really. THANKS OBAMA

It's also a "fuck Yurika and Otome" episode, because they're not even involved here. Just the OG trio, bonding on the side of the road holding a suitcase, as well as laying in a field of rape blossoms.

Wait what, Ichigo has a dad?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Aikatsu! 24

It's a Hotsprings episode
but not really. THANKS OBAMA

It's also a "fuck Yurika and Otome" episode, because they're not even involved here. Just the OG trio, bonding on the side of the road holding a suitcase, as well as laying in a field of rape blossoms.

Wait what, Ichigo has a dad?

is it just me or is something seriously wrong with the blue girl's chin?

Geneijin

I know I've rec'd you a few things in the past, so I'll avoid re-rec'ing things like Golden Boy, but...

Romeo x Juliet, perhaps? It's very, very loosely based on it's Shakespearean source material (definitely not in the same way that Gankutsuou stays close) but I feel still contains the soul of its parent. It's visually interesting, the dub is pretty darn good (and probably even suggested, imo. They jump in and out of 'Shakespearean'-ish English, which can be jarring, but a nice touch to the dub process), the world is pretty interesting, has nice batch of characters for the most part (i.e., Tybalt's character is fucking just wankery cut out of the worst fanfictions but William is a joy to watch every time), and it still holds some elements of the original play.
Romeo x Juliet isn't really worth watching because
of Escalus, which was introduced way too late into the story; and because of it, resulted in the last few episodes being ham-fisted all to justify a tragic ending.

The best thing about Romeo x Juliet was the Sakimoto score though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
There a little bit of that for me too, though it had succumbed so badly to traditional shounen creep, that I had to just cut my losses.

If I had to pin-point that exact moment (of clarity), it was when Ichigo was fighting through goons (anime-only, obviously) and I was being bombarded with the awful comedy/drama, courtesy of those awful sidekicks. It was just such a jarring mismatch of elements, that the episodes had almost zero structure to them. It was obvious stalling was going on, but to be confronted by it like that? Well, I couldn't tolerate such a blatant holding-pattern anymore.

Bleach was never able to sustain tension for more than a couple of minutes without breaking it with manzai comedy bullshit. Nel's hollow friends were the insufferable nadir of that.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Romeo x Juliet isn't really worth watching because
of Escalus, which was introduced way too late into the story; and because of it, resulted in the last few episodes being ham-fisted all to justify a tragic ending.

The best thing about Romeo x Juliet was the Sakimoto score though.

Perhaps, but to me
the dynamic of the show isn't the universe its in. It's Romeo and Juliet fighting against a world that wants to tear them apart. Yeah, it probably could've been better if say Lord Montague killed Romeo or something, but I got more enjoyment out of simply watching the starcrossed pair than anything else.

Geneijin

Perhaps, but to me
the dynamic of the show isn't the universe its in. It's Romeo and Juliet fighting against a world that wants to tear them apart. Yeah, it probably could've been better if say Lord Montague killed Romeo or something, but I got more enjoyment out of simply watching the starcrossed pair than anything else.
Yeah, but
the show just falters after Romeo and Juliet's vows were exchanged around the same time Escalus was introduced too I think? So largely, for the 2nd half, Romeo was terrible and weak side characters like Ophelia were dragging the pace of the story. Tybalt should have had a bigger role. Mercutio too and even Lord Montague. The show would have also been better off if they were committed to their story and had Juliet be the Romeo in the story, but too many times, it was like Gonzo hamstrung Juliet to be the damsel in the story yet, it's like she was never the Red Hurricane...

LordCanti

Can anyone who has read the Mushi-shi manga answer a question for me, in the least amount of detail/vaguest way possible?

Do we ever get more detail about the uhh...older lady that..mmm... the lady that lived in the woods/narrates the anime (I think)/had the same hair/lack of eyeball as Ginko? I forget her name.

I just finished the anime.

jbug617

Banned
I'd second Toradora, if you haven't watched that. I was tooling around making a gif yesterday and I was reminded of how much I like that damn show.

Thinking about Toradora makes me sad about Golden Time. I had high expectations for that show.

Aikatsu! 25

The greatest intro of this show. I would like an intro like this for the rest of the show.

Surprising, another April Fools episode. I honestly don't think I can count off a lot of these types of episodes. Like... I don't think I even have to use both hands. I recall Smile Precure having one, but I'm drawing a blank otherwise.

Ichigo's dad is rather outrageous though considering the day and what he actually does.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You know if I watched this show, Hito would never, ever stop heckling me to watch the other Magical Girl shows. And I would have no grounds to oppose.
Nah, I know when not to push my luck. Marginal interest coupled with time constraints don't add up to tackling certain shows.

Shorter and more accessible material like Tutu, though...

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Yeah, but
the show just falters after Romeo and Juliet's vows were exchanged around the same time Escalus was introduced too I think? So largely, for the 2nd half, Romeo was terrible and weak side characters like Ophelia were dragging the pace of the story. Tybalt should have had a bigger role. Mercutio too and even Lord Montague. The show would have also been better off if they were committed to their story and had Juliet be the Romeo in the story, but too many times, it was like Gonzo hamstrung Juliet to be the damsel in the story yet, it's like she was never the Red Hurricane...

I can largely agree except for
Tybalt. Fuck him, he's a special snowflake Shadow the Hedgehog 2edgy4u Sauske clone. He needed rewritten before he should've been given a bigger role.
I still think it's worth watching, faults aside.

Geneijin

I can largely agree except for
Tybalt. Fuck him, he's a special snowflake Shadow the Hedgehog 2edgy4u Sauske clone. He needed rewritten before he should've been given a bigger role.
I still think it's worth watching, faults aside.
I find
idealistic Romeo much worse of a character. Tybalt could have introduced some interesting character dynamics instead of being a mere catharsis to Romeo and Juliet.

Edit: Romeo x Juliet is mostly an interesting premise to follow but not much of a story I would recommend taking an interest in. I really wish they've done more with William to expound and develop Juliet's character.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I find
idealistic Romeo much worse of a character. Tybalt could have introduced some interesting character dynamics instead of being a mere catharsis to Romeo and Juliet.

At
least a fool hearty, naive Romeo kinda feels right, at least when compared to his family and especially his father. I feel like the story almost requires Romeo to at least considerably idealistic to clash with the authoritative nature of his father's regime. Tybalt is just angst for angst's sake, in my view.

Geneijin

At
least a fool hearty, naive Romeo kinda feels right, at least when compared to his family and especially his father. I feel like the story almost requires Romeo to at least considerably idealistic to clash with the authoritative nature of his father's regime. Tybalt is just angst for angst's sake, in my view.
I agree with you about Romeo, but I wasn't much of a fan of Romeo's approach.

Angsty Tybalt could have worked if they played up the aspect of 'family is thicker than blood,' but that would require Tybalt to have more interaction with Romeo. It would have also provided an interesting duality to Mercutio, who loses his family and is adopted into the Montague family, but alas...

JoeFu

Banned
Holy crap... the end of Monogatari.

Wow I loved this show. It's so freaking good.

The series isn't over though right?
I read the wiki and it said there's supposed to be a movie prequel about Araragi's vampire stuff? Kanbaru wasn't shown this season either, so whatever she did with her aunt is also upcoming right? I thought I read something about that on the wiki too. And there's still the mystery of Ougi right? I can't believe Kaiki died though... There's no way he's dead right?

Anyways can't wait for more. Love the series so far. It's got one of the most messed up episodes of something I've ever seen with the toothbrush love(nise is the weakest out of all the stuff), but also hits the feels too with episodes later on.

Monogatari Second Season is just amazing.

also there's seriously no thread for the series? Someone who likes the show and is good at making threads should make one.

Gazoinks

Well, if anything, they give Fuko's arc a long time right at the beginning and that is really the first hint and what is truly in-store, in many ways.

Speaking of which, am I the only person who thought Fuko was one of the best arcs in Clannad? Everyone seems to think it's boring, but I found all of the arcs till the final one considerably duller.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I agree with you about Romeo, but I wasn't much of a fan of Romeo's approach.

Angsty Tybalt could have worked if they played up the aspect of 'family is thicker than blood,' but that would require Tybalt to have more interaction with Romeo. It would have also provided an interesting duality to Mercutio, who loses his family and is adopted into the Montague family, but alas...

But
Tybalt is part of both families by blood, technically, so I guess I'm a little confused by what you mean.

Speaking of which, am I the only person who thought Fuko was one of the best arcs in Clannad? Everyone seems to think it's boring, but I found all of the arcs till the final one considerably duller.

Nope, I think that's the general consensus...but you ain't seen nothin' yet.

Theonik

So is everyone else who died on Earth revived?
There is probably some limitations to it
It's based on memories as a blueprint of sorts and reviving a human is probably hard. It took all of Kodai's brother to revive Yuri. She was probably a special case because she had just died and her body was preserved, and Kodai.

I can't imagine what buying Anime use to be. It also seems to me the old model use to include tons of extra (physical items) compared to now
Well I came across this blast from the past from ADV the other day. Yes they actually sold packages of 4 random episodes of anime.

Gintama 10

Same universe? Same universe.
Those eyes. *dead*

What a journey , so many "moments" , so many disapointment , so many experiences. Impressive stuff.
So many memories *spoilers*

Robot Girls Z Episode 1-3:

I want the half an hour of my life that this thing robbed me of back, yea, going to stick to my orginal assessment and declare this a good symbol for what is wrong in anime.

Aikatsu! 26

It's a new year! 2nd years for our main people! New students, new mains, new intro, new OP/ED! And... this feeling that Sakura probably has an incest fandom.... ._.

Apparently, we felt that Ichigo was too strong, so lets give her someone who seems to be better than her! PINKY! Or Sakura. I'd call her Momo, but she seems to be dignified at least. Apparently, continuing the trend where Ichigo befriends weird people (besides Ran, which is probably why she loses a lot), Sakura's family has... quite the gimmick. And I think I will like it. Fucking spotlight moments!

To Syrinx, that one song isn't reused for this one. Totally new.

As for the audition, Sakura managed to lose despite already having a rep. To be perfectly honest, I expected it, if only because of her dance.

Anywho. Pretty weird for me, especially considering the transition to a new year half way through a season... well, of Aikatsu's length at least.

Aoi please. Don't destroy the goggles.

[About HxH]

Yep, I never imagined we would get to this point after such weird censorship in the beginning. What an adaptation this has been.

Well, I don't think the censorship has anything to do with a quality adaptation, or the level of censorship is influenced to being at the start or near the end of the anime. It isn't related to that.

The censorship is just affected by the level of violence shown on screen. Show more than X, and they have to put censorship. It's that simple.

They can show violence, they can show cruelty, they can show blood, they can't show a bloody ripped heart or half a brain exposed. With the appropriate camera work to get around the limits sometimes, it is a very minor issue.

While the censorship was a slight bummer when the series started, I never considered a big problem as manga reader (as other seemed to consider, given the level of complaints), because I knew that would be the equivalent of four or five slightly changed scenes in 100 episodes, no more. It isn't like Hxh is Gantz. It never was a big problem.

There is probably some limitations to it
It's based on memories as a blueprint of sorts and reviving a human is probably hard. It took all of Kodai's brother to revive Yuri. She was probably a special case because she had just died and her body was preserved, and Kodai.

Well I came across this blast from the past from ADV the other day. Yes they actually sold packages of 4 random episodes of anime.

Those eyes. *dead*

So many memories *spoilers*

tumblr_mvat7mw0Iu1qzqnxxo1_500.gif

cnet128

Banned
Guys, I'm hesitant to ask this because I'm starting a new semester and because Happy Science has stalled my trip down the List and because I'm watching like a gajillion shows right now anyway, but seeing as how I no longer have Monogatari to fill my time . . .

If you could recommend Corvo watched 1 anime, non-mecha, what would you recommend?

Like in all seriousness. Doesn't have to be giant robots, doesn't have to be crazy ass List shit, but if you could recommend me 1 show that you think is great or that I'd like or something, I kinda want ideas. I know I have some suggestions here from folks, but lemme pick yo' brains a bit.

Still waiting with bated breath for you to watch Higurashi.

Though Clannad would also be kinda fun I guess.

jgminto

Corvo, if you're going to watch FMA watch the original first. Brotherhood does a lot of big early moments really poorly.

Alrus

Hey AnimeGaf, could you recommend some good Horror/Mistery anime?

I recently watched Another on a whim (it was okay I guess) and it left me curious for more shows of its kind. I know about Higurashi and I'll probably get to it some day, but afaik it's a rather long series and the style kind of puts me off (like most studio Deen's works actually).

Not really into massive gore either, so I guess that Corpse Party OVA is out too (from what I heard it's just pure gore without much substance).

Thank you in advance :)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Corvo, if you're going to watch FMA watch the original first. Brotherhood does a lot of big early moments really poorly.

nahhhhh

I've only watched Brohood and had no complaints about the early part of it, perhaps compared to the original anime it's not as good, but without a point of reference it was absolutely enjoyable.

Geneijin

But
Tybalt is part of both families by blood, technically, so I guess I'm a little confused by what you mean.
It's been quite awhile since I've seen the show, so forgive me in advance for the added confusion of this.

Tybalt possesses blood from both families yet associates himself with his mother's side, the Capulets, while denying his Montague lineage. What I meant by saying "family is thicker than blood" was to question an old adage, "blood is thicker than water," which could have have been an interesting character question for Tybalt, and I would have liked to have seen him come to terms with that conflict. That it didn't matter if he had two bloodlines that were water and oil: they can coexist by witnessing the relationship between Romeo and Juliet materialize and acknowledging Romeo as his brother or something like that. Blood doesn't mean to be bound by loyalty. Your family is your family of orientation. It's why Romeo was willing to break off his familial ties with the Montagues, etc.

Like I said before, it was pretty disappointing for him to be the catharsis to Romeo and Juliet without an impetus - a backstory to drive the reason and motivation for those actions. Would have made for some interesting character dynamics.

sol_bad

I have just marathoned Attack on Titan and Valverave. They were both very satisfying shows and I enjoyed them both. Valverave was definitely crazy and over the top, someone mentioned it earlier but I too wish that the epilogue was an entire episode as it would have been nice to flesh the ending out a bit further.

Do we have any idea if there will be further seasons of Attack on Titan?
I already watch too many anime and TV shows, play vidya games and read comics to have any time to take up manga reading too!!! I really want to see the story unfold further and hopefully see more WTF moments.

I also just watched episode 17 of Gurren Lagann and what a total shift in tone it has, at least to me it does. The characters are all older, their personalities have changed, the animation style isn't as over the top and "cartoony" and human civilization has evolved in those short 7 years.

duckroll

Hey AnimeGaf, could you recommend some good Horror/Mistery anime?

I recently watched Another on a whim (it was okay I guess) and it left me curious for more shows of its kind. I know about Higurashi and I'll probably get to it some day, but afaik it's a rather long series and the style kind of puts me off (like most studio Deen's works actually).

Not really into massive gore either, so I guess that Corpse Party OVA is out too (from what I heard it's just pure gore without much substance).

Thank you in advance :)

Try Requiem from the Darkness. It's classic Japanese horror with pretty interesting direction.

Erigu

Holy crap... the end of Monogatari.
Wow I loved this show. It's so freaking good.
The series isn't over though right?
First season:
Bakemonogatari (adapted into 15 episodes)
Kizumonogatari (to be made into a movie whenever Shaft feels like it really guys there's no rush)
Nisemonogatari (adapted into 11 episodes)
Nekomonogatari (Kuro) (adapted into 4 episodes)

Second season:
Nekomonogatari (Shiro) (adapted into 5 episodes)
Kabukimonogatari (adapted into 4 episodes)
Hanamonogatari (was to be adapted along with the rest of the second season but was postponed to 2014)
Otorimonogatari (adapted into 4 episodes)
Onimonogatari (adapted into 4 episodes)
Koimonogatari (adapted into 6 episodes)

Final season (no adaptation confirmed yet, but barring some catastrophe, it's pretty much a done deal):
Tsukimonogatari
Koyomimonogatari
Owarimonogatari
Zoku-Owarimonogatari

So it looks like Hanamonogatari (which indeed stars Kanbaru, but isn't quite what you have in mind) is next for now.
After that... Well, either Kizumonogatari (a prequel telling us how Araragi became friends with Hanekawa, met Kissshot, was turned into a vampire and back, met Oshino, etc, etc, but fine, just keep postponing this, Shaft, it obviously isn't very important stuff), or the final season (I found Tsukimonogatari a bit meh, but I like the rest so far... feels like Nisio watched Hyôka and enjoyed the experience).

I can't believe Kaiki died though... There's no way he's dead right?
That's a hotly debated question, even in Japan.

Log Horizon - 02

I love how they really accentuated the fact at the beginning of the episode: If you die in the game you don't die in real life. Wonder what they were getting at there. ;D

The music was really good this episode too, I wasn't feeling it at first, but the fights were very good. I'll keep watching.

fertygo

So it looks like Hanamonogatari (which indeed stars Kanbaru, but isn't quite what you have in mind) is next for now.
After that... Well, either Kizumonogatari (a prequel telling us how Araragi became friends with Hanekawa, met Kissshot, was turned into a vampire and back, met Oshino, etc, etc, but fine, just keep postponing this, Shaft, it obviously isn't very important stuff), or the final season (I found Tsukimonogatari a bit meh, but I like the rest so far... feels like Nisio watched Hyôka and enjoyed the experience).

That's a hotly debated question, even in Japan.
Dayum

Anime adaptation at 2016?

Shaft pls

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Will be interesting to see if the invalid votes could have made a significant impact of the final outcome if they had bother to write one measly comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom