• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Guys, I'm hesitant to ask this because I'm starting a new semester and because Happy Science has stalled my trip down the List and because I'm watching like a gajillion shows right now anyway, but seeing as how I no longer have Monogatari to fill my time . . .

If you could recommend Corvo watched 1 anime, non-mecha, what would you recommend?

Like in all seriousness. Doesn't have to be giant robots, doesn't have to be crazy ass List shit, but if you could recommend me 1 show that you think is great or that I'd like or something, I kinda want ideas. I know I have some suggestions here from folks, but lemme pick yo' brains a bit.

I know I've rec'd you a few things in the past, so I'll avoid re-rec'ing things like Golden Boy, but...

Romeo x Juliet, perhaps? It's very, very loosely based on it's Shakespearean source material (definitely not in the same way that Gankutsuou stays close) but I feel still contains the soul of its parent. It's visually interesting, the dub is pretty darn good (and probably even suggested, imo. They jump in and out of 'Shakespearean'-ish English, which can be jarring, but a nice touch to the dub process), the world is pretty interesting, has nice batch of characters for the most part (i.e., Tybalt's character is fucking just wankery cut out of the worst fanfictions but William is a joy to watch every time), and it still holds some elements of the original play.

I know I've rec'd you a few things in the past, so I'll avoid re-rec'ing things like Golden Boy, but...

Romeo x Juliet, perhaps? It's very, very loosely based on it's Shakespearean source material (definitely not in the same way that Gankutsuou stays close) but I feel still contains the soul of its parent. It's visually interesting, the dub is pretty darn good (and probably even suggested, imo. They jump in and out of 'Shakespearean'-ish English, which can be jarring, but a nice touch to the dub process), the world is pretty interesting, has nice batch of characters for the most part (i.e., Tybalt's character is fucking just wankery cut out of the worst fanfictions but William is a joy to watch every time), and it still holds some elements of the original play.

If he likes the corny episodes of Sword Art Online of Kirito and Asuna just acting mushi, he'll LOVE this show.

All jokes aside it was very entertaining. Especially the japanese "you raise me up so i can touch the mountaaaaaaaaain"

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
If he likes the corny episodes of Sword Art Online of Kirito and Asuna just acting mushi, he'll LOVE this show.

All jokes aside it was very entertaining. Especially the japanese "you raise me up so i can touch the mountaaaaaaaaain"

I actually forgot about that. Being a cover song/adaption aside, I actually liked it as an OP.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This was something I was wondering myself. I started reading at the beginning of the 'final' arc, though it quickly became apparent that they were going to take their sweet time wrapping that up too.
I dropped it when all the Captains starting 'dying', haha!

I stopped spoiling myself like a year ago but it seems like a steady escalation of insanity which is all I could ask for at this point.

I also honestly super liked how the Fullbring arc was handled in the anime; even Kubo's dumbassery can be adequately salvaged with good pacing, higher production values, and active, strong direction. Ideally something similar happens with this arc and Jump/Pierrot is insisting on the manga wrapping up before producing new seasons so that they can blow through the rest without shit pacing and six-month-long filler arcs.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You know if I watched this show, Hito would never, ever stop heckling me to watch the other Magical Girl shows. And I would have no grounds to oppose.

Too afraid you might actually like it and want more, eh?

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy is like 26 episodes plus 3 OVAs. Not too shabby.

If you're going to recommend Pretty Sammy, just recommend the first two Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki OVA series. Corvo, I think you'd really like them.

Guys, I'm hesitant to ask this because I'm starting a new semester and because Happy Science has stalled my trip down the List and because I'm watching like a gajillion shows right now anyway, but seeing as how I no longer have Monogatari to fill my time . . .

If you could recommend Corvo watched 1 anime, non-mecha, what would you recommend?

Like in all seriousness. Doesn't have to be giant robots, doesn't have to be crazy ass List shit, but if you could recommend me 1 show that you think is great or that I'd like or something, I kinda want ideas. I know I have some suggestions here from folks, but lemme pick yo' brains a bit.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/14813/Yahari_Ore_no_Seishun_Love_Comedy_wa_Machigatteiru.

Watch this, if you are looking for something character driven and dialogue heavy similar to Monogatari. It starts off a bit slow but gets a lot better after a few episodes.

CorvoSol

Too afraid you might actually like it and want more, eh?

If you're going to recommend Pretty Sammy, just recommend the first two Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki OVA series. Corvo, I think you'd really like them.

I don't really have anything against Magical Girl series other than that I don't want to watch Magical Girl series.

What's your criteria again corvo

Not Mecha and not List.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Robot Girls Z Episode 1-3:

I want the half an hour of my life that this thing robbed me of back, yea, going to stick to my orginal assessment and declare this a good symbol for what is wrong in anime.

Kazzy

I stopped spoiling myself like a year ago but it seems like a steady escalation of insanity which is all I could ask for at this point.

I also honestly super liked how the Fullbring arc was handled in the anime; even Kubo's dumbassery can be adequately salvaged with good pacing, higher production values, and active, strong direction. Ideally something similar happens with this arc and Jump/Pierrot is insisting on the manga wrapping up before producing new seasons so that they can blow through the rest without shit pacing and six-month-long filler arcs.

Bleach scratched a particular itch that I didn't even know I had at the time - Though, it was entertaining despite itself at times, as you say. I honestly lost all semblance of interest around the Arrancar arc, which considering what precedes that (in the anime), is probably unfortunate.

I just think at that point, I fully accepted that it was never going to be what it had initially promised, or at least showed glimmers of during the opening arcs.
It was my first genuine shounen though, so it'll always have that, I suppose.

zeroshiki

Okay, Paranoia Agent and Hyouka it is then. Other stuff to watch over the course of forever.

the-victory-sign-001.jpg

jman2050

i can't remember if Corvo has seen Clannad or not.

I hesitate to recommend it cause you have to go through 20-somethingish+ episodes of mediocre sorta-decent KEYshit trappings to get to the awesome gooey center only to end up with a little nugget of feces at the very end and wow this metaphor is really going in the wrong direction isn't it.

Gazoinks

Oh jesus, I totally forgot I still need to watch After Story. Otherwise the suffering of the middle half of Clannad will have been for naught!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I hesitate to recommend it cause you have to go through 20-somethingish+ episodes of mediocre sorta-decent KEYshit trappings to get to the awesome gooey center only to end up with a little nugget of feces at the very end and wow this metaphor is really going in the wrong direction isn't it.

I think we've had this argument before (maybe? idk) and again I disagree with your assessment of the end and value the first have a bit more than 'mediocre' but largely agree. The last chunk is really, really good though.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Nah, but I'll write it down for later.

Oh shit, well then. Let's just say the ending can piss people off. It will probably piss you off. I liked it; it's hinted at heavily if you pay attention. There's also a lot of filler at times but Clannad and Clannad: After Story (especially the tail end of After Story) is some of the saddest, soul-crushing stuff out there.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Bleach scratched a particular itch that I didn't even know I had, but it was entertaining despite itself at times, as you say. I honestly lost all semblance of interest around the Arrancar arc, which considering what precedes that (in the anime), it's probably unfortunate.

I just think at that point I just accepted that it was never going to be what it had initially promised, or at least showed glimmers of during the opening arcs.
It was my first genuine shounen, so it'll always have that, I suppose.

yeah I stopped caring somewhere mid-Arrancar arc but a combination of my habitual inability to overcome the sunk cost fallacy and the fact that I will watch pretty much anything to completion if I am sufficiently invested in even a single narrative thread meant that I stayed with it 200 episodes past its expiration date. When you realize you've been watching something every week for several years, it just sort of becomes tradition irrespective of enjoyment.
read: how I made it through DokiDoki Precure

jman2050

I think we've had this argument before (maybe? idk) and again I disagree with your assessment of the end and value the first have a bit more than 'mediocre' but largely agree. The last chunk is really, really good though.

I'm probably underselling the first season a bit. I mean, I did like the School Life portion of the VN overall despite some very big issues, I just didn't like how the anime approached it based on what I've seen so I'm not being entirely fair I admit.

Jintor

I don't really have anything against Magical Girl series other than that I don't want to watch Magical Girl series.

Not Mecha and not List.

I'd second Toradora, if you haven't watched that. I was tooling around making a gif yesterday and I was reminded of how much I like that damn show.

jman2050

K-On is better than Hyouka. Dealwithit.gif

Man first Corvo rebuffs Princess Tutu, then I have to hold back my nausea from having to legitimately recommend a KEY work I actually liked, and now I read this post!

All I'm missing is one of those #TeamAmi losers showing up.

Kazzy

yeah I stopped caring somewhere mid-Arrancar arc but a combination of my habitual inability to overcome the sunk cost fallacy and the fact that I will watch pretty much anything to completion if I am sufficiently invested in even a single narrative thread meant that I stayed with it 200 episodes past its expiration date. When you realize you've been watching something every week for several years, it just sort of becomes tradition irrespective of enjoyment.
read: how I made it through DokiDoki Precure

There a little bit of that for me too, though it had succumbed so badly to traditional shounen creep, that I had to just cut my losses.

If I had to pin-point that exact moment (of clarity), it was when Ichigo was fighting through goons (anime-only, obviously) and I was being bombarded with the awful comedy/drama, courtesy of those awful sidekicks. It was just such a jarring mismatch of elements, that the episodes had almost zero structure to them. It was obvious stalling was going on, but to be confronted by it like that? Well, I couldn't tolerate such a blatant holding-pattern anymore.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I'm probably underselling the first season a bit. I mean, I did like the School Life portion of the VN overall despite some very big issues, I just didn't like how the anime approached it based on what I've seen so I'm not being entirely fair I admit.

Well, if anything, they give Fuko's arc a long time right at the beginning and that is really the first hint and what is truly in-store, in many ways.

I watched the entirety of Clannad last month and then got distracted before I started After Story. I'll start it up once I finish the 2013 stuff I still want to watch (From the New World and Rozen Maiden).

The first third of After Story is a bit more par for the course, but as you approach the end of that early third, shit really hits the afterburners.

I'd second Toradora, if you haven't watched that. I was tooling around making a gif yesterday and I was reminded of how much I like that damn show.

In addition to Romeo x Juliet and Clannad/Clannad: After Story, I also want to +1 Toradora!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom