• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

I did not know this was a thing and it absolutely crushed my soul seeing this.

Highlight for an explanation:
Its a Valkyria Chronicles Browser based card battle game

It's been around for a while, there's even exclusive pandery characters to go along with it!
I cried too.

LayLa

top anime of 2013 as voted for by subscribers to anime cable channel AT-X

1. Non Non Biyori
2. A Certain Scientific Railgun S
3. Attack on Titan
4. Girls und Panzer
5. Kiniro Mosaic
6. The Devil Is a Part-Timer!
7. Tamayura: More Aggressive
8. High School DxD New
9. Yuyushiki
10. Sword Art Online
11. Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ maji LOVE 2000%
12. WataMote
13. Arpeggio of Blue Steel -Ars Nova-
14. Little Busters! ~Refrain~
15. Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS
16. Free!
17. Saki Achiga-hen episode of Side-A
18. Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai
19. Unbreakable Machine-Doll
20. Kara no Kyokai: The Garden of Sinners

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Still over 3 weeks left to edit in a comment, no?

We'll see. I stated on the first page I'm not going to keep reminding people about it and I highly doubt many will come back to edit them in.

I will make a note of what their votes would have been worth so they can see just how important it is to read the OP.

But Girls und Panzer wasn't even a 2013 anime!

Finished in 2013.

We'll see. I stated on the first page I'm not going to keep reminding people about it and I highly doubt many will come back to edit them in.

I will make a note of what their votes would have been worth so they can see just how important it is to read the OP.

I completely overlooked that rule. Will edit in now, can't have Attack on Titan not getting it's deserved votes, can we?!

If you could recommend Corvo watched 1 anime, non-mecha, what would you recommend?

Like in all seriousness. Doesn't have to be giant robots, doesn't have to be crazy ass List shit, but if you could recommend me 1 show that you think is great or that I'd like or something, I kinda want ideas. I know I have some suggestions here from folks, but lemme pick yo' brains a bit.

I got three suggestions for you Corvo. One is a short 13-episode series, one is a 100+ episode Shounen, and another is a two season (20 something episodes each) love story..

Kino's Journey: Hey Corvo! Remember that super happy uplifting show that is Casshern Sins? Well I bet the happiness there can't compare to the sheer happy sense of wonder found in Kino's Journey! Heh Heh. It's dark. It's screwed up, and it's really damn good. Like, legit good.

Hunter X Hunter: After just getting off this train, I now have to recommend it to everybody. The sense of fantasy adventure in this show is amazing. While it takes a bit of time to pick up the pace (give it about five episodes), it really is a fun show. It's got the most creative system for superpowers I've ever seen. All those terrible clichés that plague many Shounens are almost nowhere to be found here. The main character isn't overpowered, and the direction the show takes isn't always the direction you think it will be. If you want a long series to get into, this is definitely the one.

Clannad (After Story Included): I'm not sure what kind of love went down in Eureka Seven (I've got that show on hold), but if you want a really good high-school romance with a love story that actually goes somewhere, I think Clannad may give Eureka Seven a run for it's money in terms of love. Seriously, everyone should give this show a shot.

So yeah, those are my suggestions.

Walkure Romance - 11-12 [END]

Aside from a few moments of Akane drooling over Celia in the first few episodes, this isn't really worth anyone's time. The CG jousting was absurd, and the Male MC had no personality whatsoever. It was like watching paint dry to listen to him talk, absolutely uninteresting in every shape and form. Only saving grace in this show were the character designs for the women, particularly Celia and Bertille. For anyone who plans to check this out in the future due to the women, do yourself a favor and check out the game itself as it will give you what you're most likely looking for
you pervs. :p
Thank you for your sacrifice camarade.
I didn't see any potential after watching the first episode, so i dropped it. Glad i was right.

anime trailer for that new senran kagura vita cooking smut game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=72miGajfJec

its.... probably nsfw?
i wasn't intrested in the cooking game.... but this trailer picked my interest a bit.
i Would need to se esome gameplay.

I either need an S2 or a localization announcement because that hotty with the short white hair is getting me hot and bothered.
Shinovi versus is comming this year, "that" hottie is in that game.
I would love a Anime S2,still

100 years unopposed. Now the Yamato is coming, there have been mutiny's I suspect Dessler is getting more and more precarious. The moment he lost power to control the fleet is when, imo, he switched to some delusional idiot fuelled by bitterness.

You know, the scene where Dessler shoots I see it as an accident. Dessler was probably really nervous and the elf girl just runs in on this tense situation with some pyscho blast that probably scared him or made him fear for his life and he shot without really knowing who he has shot. Not that he really cared for her.

Yamato 2199 end stuff
i disagree.
he still had plenty of power to sink one ship, heck what could be the escuse for dropping a city killing millions just for one ship ? Heck he had one ship himself that was powerfull with a wave canon himself. For someone intelligent enough and with tactics he was certainly Not at a disadvantage

As for the other scene, yeah desler was surprised when the witch came but he acted like a jerk afterwards. that's NOT how you treat your followers

Jintor

Yamato 14

Wow. I thought we were going to go Aliens, but then we went full-on Evangelion mind-fuckery. Jesus christ.

Sad-Cute Japanese popstar will be back next month

image.php

Hamatora 01 -

So ... wait (story spoilers)
How exactly did the villains know to target the women for finding the information regarding the safe combination? Why would they believe that the combination would be given to them and not to the actual heir to the household? Wouldn't it have made more sense to target the heir assuming they had no idea whether he was able to successfully open the safe or not? For that matter, how the hell is the existence of a safe that hasn't been opened public knowledge?

Where are the other kidnapped women and what did they do with them if they didn't know / remember any information about the safe to begin with?

... and who the hell "subconsciously" writes down any string of numbers they come across as a result of getting a new job?

I feel like the entire "kidnapping girls" angle was an excuse to show the backside of a naked women for 10 seconds and to give someone for the main characters to save.

This show is dumb. I'm probably not going to watch any more of it.

cajunator

Banned
Angel's Egg to become mandatory viewing

This wouldnt be a bad idea. Its not that long and its worth watching.

FUNimation got D-Frag!

http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=3299

I was assuming Crunchyroll would probably get this, but that does not matter to me so long as there is a legal means to watch it.

This does seem like it could be fun like some of the other club shows. D-frag is a weird name for it though.

Miyuki-chan in Wonderland

Watched Disney's Alice in Wonderland yesterday or the day before and found myself wondering why there wasn't any Alice in Wonderland anime. Then I remembered this (and Nunally in Wonderland!) As one can see above, it's primarily an SDBurton fever dream. Nonetheless it's pretty amusing for the short runtime, constantly moving and never lingering on a visual gag overlong.

THat damned themesong. It will never leave!

They don't have the time or luxury to screw around. This isn't an afternoon on the croquet field. They're humanity's last hope and they're pussyfooting around with
"oh but we can't destroy Pluto! Think of the children!"
Screw you. Pluto isn't even a real planet. It's just a cold rock. There's millions of similar rocks near it. You want to keep the "moral" high ground? Cool, you can do that
at the bottom of Pluto's oceans.
Meanwhile everyone on Earth dies for the sake of your morals. That's a great ethical system you have there.

Or you could have listened to the glasses guy and used your unstoppable superweapon.

Pluto will always be a planet to me!

It's a fun show, you should watch it for Makoto DA GODDESS.

Wise words once again.

Oh yeah, forgot to take a picture of the Madoka Rebellion cards. What a journey to get them all. lol

Click for full size.

Luckyyyyy.
You are pretty dedicated to things you really love. I can respect that a lot.

That one with with the loli and Mami must be some sort of Yuno/Miyako thing. I believe in the Umeverse.

I too believe in this Umeverse.

Just did a simulwatch to demo some of the May animus.

Ranking was Golden Boy > Super YoYo > AzuDaioh >=Lucky Star (latter was for straight up riffing purposes)

Golden Boy in first is the correct choice. however I would put Azudai in second. That might be nostalgia reasons.

Avatars are an incontrovertibly accurate reflection of what the user masturbates to.

That's forum science.

welp..

You know, it's rather problematic when people feel the need to not go to gaming side, which was probably the primary reason why people even join in the first place. Instead of being able to embrace the main luxury, we apparently feel forced to live in a one topi c ghetto with all the other unwanted users of our own ilk.

gaming side is just kind of dumb and boring to me. Maybe its because I dont like games that much anymore but it seems to lack fun discussion of any kind other than stupid sales talk or threads downing one system or another.

This season has so much potential for failure...
Either that or i'm getting to old for animu, gaf :|

You can never be too old for anime. Im turning 32 in May and still as much into anime as I was when I started. Probably more now that I can afford to keep up with it.

And Planetes!

(in before ninja episode debate)

The moon ninjas was the best part!

This seems like the perfect thread to ask this question, so here I go:

I want to try to get into anime, but I don't really know where to start. The guys on my favorite podcast(Super Best Friendcast) really like Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan, and I generally have the same tastes as they do.

So the question is: Are these 2 accessible at all for someone who has not been following an animated show since forever? And if not, what are your suggestions?

Something mainstream would be a good start. People mentioned stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Code Geass for sheer approachable lunacy, Ghibli movies that sorta thing. Theres a lot of targeted stuff out there that really should be approached once youve wet your wings on more "normal" stuff first.

More anime from the RightStuf sale showed up today (+ some other stuff):

Bought Place to Place because it was recommended to me in this thread. Thanks.

Youve done extremely well here. Place to Place is completely adorable soulfood and Youre Under Arrest is an absolute classic and one of my favorites. Accurately depicted cars are a dying breed in anime.

https://twitter.com/mushishi_anime/status/419488675928354818

Mushishi's really getting a second season in April 2014. Holy shit!

Oh my goooood.
*squees internally

Okay you got it :(

I will be split screening this weekend. NFL games on one screen and Yamato on the other. And then I will cry into my pillow at the life I am living.

This sounds like a fine life to live actually.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

1. Non Non Biyori
2. A Certain Scientific Railgun S
3. Attack on Titan
4. Girls und Panzer
5. Kiniro Mosaic
6. The Devil Is a Part-Timer!
8. High School DxD New
9. Yuyushiki
10. Sword Art Online
11. Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ maji LOVE 2000%
12. WataMote
13. Arpeggio of Blue Steel -Ars Nova-
14. Little Busters! ~Refrain~
15. Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS
16. Free!
18. Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai
19. Unbreakable Machine-Doll

There may be hope for Japan yet.

So is 2013's Kara no Kyoukai a new show in the sense that they redid all of the animation or did they just take clips from the movies and put it in chronological order?

duckroll

So is 2013's Kara no Kyoukai a new show in the sense that they redid all of the animation or did they just take clips from the movies and put it in chronological order?

They didn't take clips, they are the actual movies. It's not a new series, it's just a number of the movies edited down/split into TV runtimes so they could air it on a regular timeslot on TV.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Thank you for your sacrifice camarade.
I didn't see any potential after watching the first episode, so i dropped it. Glad i was right.

Yeah you made the right call, it's just your typical haremshit anime that's bad even under that standard. Should've known the show was fucked after they did an episode of Akane getting past her obsession for Celia.

Gbraga

Hamatora 01 -

So ... wait (story spoilers)
How exactly did the villains know to target the women for finding the information regarding the safe combination? Why would they believe that the combination would be given to them and not to the actual heir to the household? Wouldn't it have made more sense to target the heir assuming they had no idea whether he was able to successfully open the safe or not? For that matter, how the hell is the existence of a safe that hasn't been opened public knowledge?

Where are the other kidnapped women and what did they do with them if they didn't know / remember any information about the safe to begin with?

... and who the hell "subconsciously" writes down any string of numbers they come across as a result of getting a new job?

I feel like the entire "kidnapping girls" angle was an excuse to show the backside of a naked women for 10 seconds and to give someone for the main characters to save.

This show is dumb. I'm probably not going to watch any more of it.

It's said that they were targeting women he was having sex with because word got out that he was saying numbers while sleeping. Now how the fuck would they know about that, yeah, anime. I don't think they'll ever explain this, but if they do it'll probably have to do with some kind of minimum holder nanomachines bullshit.

It's said that they were targeting women he was having sex with because word got out that he was saying numbers while sleeping. Now how the fuck would they know about that, yeah, anime. I don't think they'll ever explain this, but if they do it'll probably have to do with some kind of minimum holder nanomachines bullshit.

Hamatora 01 stuff~
Not to mention the logical leap it has to take to believe that the numbers he's saying are not just a random string of digits or are in anyway related to his safe.

sigh sigh

They didn't take clips, they are the actual movies. It's not a new series, it's just a number of the movies edited down/split into TV runtimes so they could air it on a regular timeslot on TV.

Can't help but feel a bit disappointed but I thought it was weird that they were revisiting the source material to begin with so I guess it makes sense.

duckroll

Can't help but feel a bit disappointed but I thought it was weird that they were revisiting the source material to begin with so I guess it makes sense.

They did it to promote the 3D theatrical re-release of the first KnK movie as well as the brand new KnK movie Recalled Out Summer.

All the Animals just released an info dump

GL delayed to October, bah. Also worth noting is that they're planning a Kickstarter for UK and US rights for "something that slipped past everyone first time round" in the next week or so. Is anyone else thinking of a certain KyoAni show?

Edit; Kickstarter is to fund a fancy edition of a film, of which All the Anime has already landed the rights.

Theonik

All the Animals just released an info dump

GL delayed to October, bah. Also worth noting is that they're planning a Kickstarter for UK and US rights for "something that slipped past everyone first time round" in the next week or so. Is anyone else thinking of a certain KyoAni show?
I'm excited to see what it is. Also looking forward to them opening pre-orders for the Gurren Lagann and Escaflowne Ultimate editions. Buying those so hard.
The later especially.

Joe Molotov

Yeah you made the right call, it's just your typical haremshit anime that's bad even under that standard. Should've known the show was fucked after they did an episode of Akane getting past her obsession for Celia.

Is there even any good potential Blu-Ray material in it, or should I just devote myself to waiting for the Idolwr@ssler BDs?

Detective Conan 273:
Fuck you TMS and your shitty writers.

Well, I guess I was forewarned about this episode, so I had at least braced myself for something dumb. But dear god was that awful. And after they had been on a decent run recently, too, with most of the recent AOs being pretty solid. I guess the taste wasn't quite as bitter because there had been a bunch of great and plot centric episodes lately, as opposed to this coming in a long string of bad AOs.

But I don't get how they can write an episode that's such a complete failure on every level. There's no excitement, the mysteries are dumb, and there's not even a good climax because it all happens off screen. Plus the first six or seven minutes of the episode were wasted on a complete red herring that never went anywhere.

JoeFu

Banned
First season:
Bakemonogatari (adapted into 15 episodes)
Kizumonogatari (to be made into a movie whenever Shaft feels like it really guys there's no rush)
Nisemonogatari (adapted into 11 episodes)
Nekomonogatari (Kuro) (adapted into 4 episodes)

Second season:
Nekomonogatari (Shiro) (adapted into 5 episodes)
Kabukimonogatari (adapted into 4 episodes)
Hanamonogatari (was to be adapted along with the rest of the second season but was postponed to 2014)
Otorimonogatari (adapted into 4 episodes)
Onimonogatari (adapted into 4 episodes)
Koimonogatari (adapted into 6 episodes)

Final season (no adaptation confirmed yet, but barring some catastrophe, it's pretty much a done deal):
Tsukimonogatari
Koyomimonogatari
Owarimonogatari
Zoku-Owarimonogatari

So it looks like Hanamonogatari (which indeed stars Kanbaru, but isn't quite what you have in mind) is next for now.
After that... Well, either Kizumonogatari (a prequel telling us how Araragi became friends with Hanekawa, met Kissshot, was turned into a vampire and back, met Oshino, etc, etc, but fine, just keep postponing this, Shaft, it obviously isn't very important stuff), or the final season (I found Tsukimonogatari a bit meh, but I like the rest so far... feels like Nisio watched Hyôka and enjoyed the experience).

That's a hotly debated question, even in Japan.

Thanks for the info! Really excited for more of this show. I don't get how they put off Kizumonogatari.... Really interested in what happens there.

Pooya

this is imouto of the main character in Suda51's game for Short Peace, Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day.

l_52cd55876d84bpbelo.jpg

so Ranko wears an eye patch... her sister then has 3 eyes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mature

Detective Conan 273:
Fuck you TMS and your shitty writers.

Well, I guess I was forewarned about this episode, so I had at least braced myself for something dumb. But dear god was that awful. And after they had been on a decent run recently, too, with most of the recent AOs being pretty solid. I guess the taste wasn't quite as bitter because there had been a bunch of great and plot centric episodes lately, as opposed to this coming in a long string of bad AOs.

But I don't get how they can write an episode that's such a complete failure on every level. There's no excitement, the mysteries are dumb, and there's not even a good climax because it all happens off screen. Plus the first six or seven minutes of the episode were wasted on a complete red herring that never went anywhere.
Did I issue the warning on this one? Because my eyes definitely glazed over while watching it. This ones up there with worst AOs.

cajunator

Banned
I joined because the old game forum that I also didn't talk about games on was dying, and I saw that there was an active anime thread here. Weirder things have happened.

Fuck yes.

I'm super interested now.

Yeah Im gonna check this out.

The interest is piqued yet I can't help but feel that this show represents all that is wrong in anime today.

mostly whats right about it.

I'm going to watch Pupa for this same reason, so don't feel too bad.

I like disturbing stuff sometimes. Something different.

Huh, what .gif would that be?

*browsing*

GOD

DAYUM

You should see the tumblr pages. Im not linking them.

PUBLIC AND IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Please stay the fuck AWAY from Saikin, Imouto no Yousu ga Chotto Okashiinda ga, and if you ever decide to make the stupid decision to watch the big turd, then get some Headphones and lock yourself in your room, other people won't like to hear that piece of shit.

Oh my god, I think I'm gonna fain...

t....

Yeah. Sold.
Gonna watch it this morning now.

Saw this for laughs.....half an episode dedicated to the pissing yes literal pissing of a young girl and her inability to remove a chastity belt.

This is far worse than anything I would ever have imagined.

the pissing thing has been explored many times before. Cant anime do anything new gosh.

I'm going to assume a chastity belt is probably exactly what I think it is.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUfC_ZC44dg

Thankfully, I live alone and am thus able to watch anime without fear (except when visiting my family, at which times I make sure to watch less, er, family-friendly shows only when everyone else is asleep).

It sure is a good thing I have no concept of shame, huh?

It is an honor to be featured on that site.

Even not taking privacy into account, watching any kind of entertainment with a good pair of phones is a superior experience provided you don't have an expensive speaker system.

I'm partially responsible for perpetuating this so I can't speak too much against it. I just want others to be aware that winks and nudges are typically not implied when someone emphatically warns that something is a terrible experience.

You want us to watch it. Its obvious!

Mou Hitotsu no Mirai wo 01

20Bd4IWl.jpg

Soooooo, this is an anime advertising a lab and its products I guess.

Only real noticeable thing is that the characters look like they are from East of Eden.

Besides the lab talk that might as well went over my head, the concept of a phone calling into the future was pretty interesting by itself. No idea what on earth where they are going to go with this concept though.

Holy shit they really do. I wonder if that was intentional?

Guys is a Crunchyroll sub worth it right now?
trying to decide if I want it and Netflix back, its been a few months.

Yes, I would say it definitely is. There is a ton of content available, even for someone who buys a lot of anime like me.

If you're talking my post, I'm just joking around. I think AnimeGaf needs to lighten up a little, relax. Have some fun.

...Cajun :(

<3
I fully agree

First ep of Space Dandy had a dull first half and an awesome last 10 mins. I'd say sub was better but they're both decent aside from auto-tune for the english robot.

also OP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4VIiVSiioo

and ED http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4pMJ8nMkZ4

for those that watched on Toonami

Thanks for these. I really like the OP. Not so much the ED.

What's a good romance anime on CR for a former Kare Kano, Marmalade Boy, Kimagure Orange Road fan?

Hmm. Ai Yori Aoshi has its amazing moments. It also has some dumb harem antics which tried to ruin it.

Fools, Golden Boy is clearly the best romance.

And the best edutainment!

Well its just not fair comparing Goldenboy with anything else.

Did I issue the warning on this one? Because my eyes definitely glazed over while watching it. This ones up there with worst AOs.

Yeah, I remembered you saying that this was one of your least favorite ones.

It didn't cause me as much rage as a couple of other ones did, but it has to be on a short list of the most boring episodes of Conan. I think I was already checking the time by about the five minute mark.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Luckyyyyy.
You are pretty dedicated to things you really love. I can respect that a lot.
More OCD than anything. lol

1. Non Non Biyori
4. Girls und Panzer
5. Kiniro Mosaic
9. Yuyushiki
12. WataMote

nFokUqj.gif

With the number of good good shows in the top ten, I respect the list even if it has SAO and AoT on it.

We Have Met The Enemy And They Are Hot Blue Alien Space Babes
Melda is the best character after all!

Andrew J.

Guys, I'm hesitant to ask this because I'm starting a new semester and because Happy Science has stalled my trip down the List and because I'm watching like a gajillion shows right now anyway, but seeing as how I no longer have Monogatari to fill my time . . .

If you could recommend Corvo watched 1 anime, non-mecha, what would you recommend?

Like in all seriousness. Doesn't have to be giant robots, doesn't have to be crazy ass List shit, but if you could recommend me 1 show that you think is great or that I'd like or something, I kinda want ideas. I know I have some suggestions here from folks, but lemme pick yo' brains a bit.

Excel Saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom