• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
The problem with Ano Hana: The Flower That Geneijin Saw That Day is that it's a bad melodrama. By that I mean, as is common with bad melodrama, it seeks to move the viewer, not through quality characterization and tragedy that speaks to the human condition in weighty manner, but through cheap, unearned sentimentality and contrived, throwaway drama.

This is something hardly exclusive to Ano Hana as far as anime goes(see certain other series written by Jun Maeda or Mari Okada), but it's especially noticeable in this case because of how especially weak and capricious the writing is. Storylines are brought up and then dropped abruptly, like Anaru's bad behavior fueled by peer pressure. The show spends multiple episodes on an arc about building a rocket that is ultimately meaningless. The characters don't think to try obvious things like Menma writing in a notebook until the show is almost over. The characters either have nonexistent characterization(Tsuruko), or the characterization they do have is cliched and stupid(Anaru, Yukiatsu). What pathos exists in the show is trivialized by a meaningless love quadrangle that goes nowhere.

Ano Hana is a show which had lots of potential which was squandered with one of the poorest possible scripts.

I can't be too harsh on it as we exist in a world where Angel Beats is lauded.

This episode is probably my favorite. That or the next one (I think its the next one)
Kino isnt supposed to want or try to change customs so this is a bit different.

I just need to see his reaction to episode 12. I swear, I don't know what to say about it without spoiling it. Saying that the episode is
jaw-dropping
feels like a spoiler in of itself, so I spoiler-tagged that.

Not taking any chances.

Syrinx

This episode is probably my favorite. That or the next one (I think its the next one)
Kino isnt supposed to want or try to change customs so this is a bit different.

It was kinda funny how she entered the ring against that assassin guy, and the first thing she did was ask him questions about why he came and if he knew about the country's custom of making newcomers compete as gladiators (there are other words you can use to describe it, but just custom for now).

If she does aim to change it, I guess it's just because she sees this country as just straight fucked up. But she didn't really seem to bat an eyelash when that one country was going to blow the crap out of that other one because of something about that "prophecy" or whatever. I dunno, I should watch part 2 first, but not tonight.

zeroshiki

Thank you for the reply!

I also recently marathoned through Attack on Titan and loved it and it's messed up WTF moments. Do we know if there is going to be another season done?
I'd read the manga but my time is very limited because I also watch lots of movies, play games and read comics AND watch normal TV western TV shows/cartoons.

Attack on Titan is so popular that its 99% guaranteed there will be a new series.

yami4ct

Pretty CG Animation.

I still hate Anno for, in 2 movies, destroying 2 things I loved growing up. Eva and Ghibli.

Eh, the CG in Eva really doesn't bug me. I usually hate it, but Eva and Gundam UC are two pieces of animation where the CG really works for me.

As for the story, as a straight read the Eva films are terrible. As a piece of trolling, I love them, but that certainly doesn't excuse the garbage writing particularly in 3.0.

Oh god, by catching up with the manga you now have to pay the ultimate price, waiting for Togashi to actually get back to writing that damn thing. Haha.

Har har. It could have ended off in a worse way. Yeah it was a
cliff-hanger
, but not so much as a HOLY SHIT kind of cliffhanger where you NEED to find out what's going to happen next. It was more of a foreshadowing kind of thing.

But seeing as the last chapter came out like, almost two years ago, I can understand the pain of the others.

zeroshiki

Eva 3.0 is basically just Anno jacking off to the screen. In this case, Anno is Shinji and we, the captive audience stupid enough to pay money to watch his movie, are Asuka.

yami4ct

Har har. It could have ended off in a worse way. Yeah it was a
cliff-hanger
, but not so much as a HOLY SHIT kind of cliffhanger where you NEED to find out what's going to happen next. It was more of a foreshadowing kind of thing.

But seeing as the last chapter came out like, almost two years ago, I can understand the pain of the others.

The point the manga's at now isn't the worst stopping point Togashi has had. He had stopped numerous times right in the middle of the Chimera Ant arc. That's the worst of it. Just hope he somehow makes it through the next arc in one go. It's a nice dream, anyway.

Kazzy

...Regarding all this criticism of, well, criticism! I usually point it towards the work itself, but failing that, so long as it's simply a critique of an opinion (and not an attack), I don't see the problem. I think people conflate the idea of being disappointed, together with outright hate.

I honestly think a lot of that stems from people being extremely optimistic about projects, so much so, that they can't hide their anger. It's also extremely easy for people to misconstrue one-line, snarky replies. It's perhaps why I like to express my opinion as much as I do, which in itself, is guilty of veering off into the verbose!

Jarmel

Banned
Full Metal Panic! 17

Conclusion to the best arc of the series so far. Show did a good job of developing the relationships between the crew members of that unit and Sousuke in a relatively short amount of time. Batist was awesome.

Liked the closing shot with Sousuke and Chidori sitting on the floor next to each other.

Show could use a little down time after this.

Kinda interesting contrasting your impressions and Watanabe Kazuma's. I can see the complaints about the arc being too dark but I think it works pretty well establishing Sousuke not only as a character but also his mindset towards Chidori and his stay in Japan.

yami4ct

I heard Don Jon is crap. :(

I saw it and liked it. I certainly wouldn't call it crap. It's flawed for sure, but it's really interesting. It's quite clear that it's JGL's directorial debut. He's good in it, but it's a bit too experimental for its own good. Writing is super clever in spots, yet clunky in others. Overall, a very promising debut I'd say. His got a really interesting and fairly unique directorial style and I'm interested to see what he can do as he improves.

CorvoSol

Kinda interesting contrasting your impressions and Watanabe Kazuma's. I can see the complaints about the arc being too dark but I think it works pretty well establishing Sousuke not only as a character but also his mindset towards Chidori and his stay in Japan.

I think it also explains why Sousuke is so protective of her from then on out.

Sorcerous Stabber Orphen 1

Hey. Hey. Remember when I said I wasn't in the mood for 90s last night? I lied. This show with the hilariously euphemistic name is one of the first anime I probably ever watched, years and years back. If Record of Lodoss and Slayers are the best Fantasy Anime ever, then this is probably somewhere not to far from them. It's a lot like Slayers, actually, in terms of its setting and tone. Unlike Slayers, though, there's a lot more fan-service going on. Which is a funny thing to say, considering Slayers wasn't exactly avoiding that. What's funnier is I have no recollection of this fan-service. It's not there in my head at all. I really don't remember much about the plot, either, other than that it follows the titular Orphen, who is somewhere between the badass wizard in black that so many Fantasy protags could be and the scummy loser he actually is, Magic who, in spite of his name, doesn't know a single spell, and Cleo, who is their boisterous female friend.

I really like this anime, or at least I remember liking it, so we'll see from here.

sonicmj1

Pretty CG Animation.

I still hate Anno for, in 2 movies, destroying 2 things I loved growing up. Eva and Ghibli.

I know the Nausicaa short before Eva 3.0 was bad, but not bad enough to destroy Ghibli.

Curse the GAF gods for the archives!

I actually did like Kaguya Hime quite a bit more :p (I think sonicmj1 agrees?) I just couldn't resist poking you with the bomba joke.

I agree that Kaguyahime is the better of the two. Maybe Disney will be generous enough to give it a decent release in major markets, like they did with Arietty.

Jarmel

Banned
Some of my most hated shows are from wanting and expecting to like them. :(

ielDnBWv8dgWL.png

I want to cry so bad. :(

Fuck you Kyoda from the bottom of my heart.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I saw it and liked it. I certainly wouldn't call it crap. It's flawed for sure, but it's really interesting. It's quite clear that it's JGL's directorial debut. He's good in it, but it's a bit too experimental for its own good. Writing is super clever in spots, yet clunky in others. Overall, a very promising debut I'd say. His got a really interesting and fairly unique directorial style and I'm interested to see what he can do as he improves.
Fair enough. At least he isn't Shia Labuef!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Seitokai Yakuindomo Season 2 - 01

I forgot how utterly absurd this show was, now my stomach hurts from laughing so hard. There were quite a few characters I wasn't familiar with (I remember Judo girl) so it looks like I'll need to check out the OVAs real quick for a refresher on who these people are. That aside, great episode for sure.

And Naruko is best girl/woman at the moment, but it looks like Aria's maid
who wanted to drink her bathwater might just sneak up and nab that spot if we get more time with her.
:lol

zeroshiki

I know the Nausicaa short before Eva 3.0 was bad, but not bad enough to destroy Ghibli.

To be honest, I was playing it up a little for dramatic effect with the Anno bashing since I kinda forgot about his voice after a half hour. It really was bad the whole way though.

I agree that Kaguyahime is the better of the two. Maybe Disney will be generous enough to give it a decent release in major markets, like they did with Arietty.

The style is so unorthodox and the story so so very Japanese that I wouldn't be surprised if they just pawn it off to GKids and forget about it.

Branduil

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 11

iGfQ4p4Q00zIU.jpg
ibw7IOU18n6cbx.jpg

It was a mistake for them to mix in those hand-drawn battleships and explosions. It only made it more apparent how superior traditionally animated space battles are!

So, uh,
is there a reason evil UN guy wanted to attack the aliens?
I sure hope they're going to explain this.

yami4ct

So, I've seen a lot of people rave about Yamato 2199. Given I love space opera stuff, I guess I should check it out, huh? Do I need to see any previous Yamato stuff beforehand to appreciate it?

Jintor

So, I've seen a lot of people rave about Yamato 2199. Given I love space opera stuff, I guess I should check it out, huh? Do I need to see any previous Yamato stuff beforehand to appreciate it?

you'll get a little out of seeing old yamato beforehand, but it's not essential. (I oddly remembered quite a lot of the first two episodes though)

It's Space Opera executed amazingly well. The ideas in it aren't especially new, which is not surprising given it's a remake, but if you are a fan of space opera you should definitely watch it. I haven't seen anything else Yamato related, and don't feel like I missed out on anything.

sonicmj1

So, uh,

Yeah, I liked that they wanted to add some nuance to things, but I think that
replacing "aliens wanted to blow us up for no reason!" with "stupid Earth guy wanted to blow up aliens for no reason!" wasn't the right way to go about it. Surely there is a way to make an armed standoff between two groups that don't know each other turn ugly without requiring one to be headed by a total fucking idiot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
replacing "aliens wanted to blow us up for no reason!" with "stupid Earth guy wanted to blow up aliens for no reason!" wasn't the right way to go about it. Surely there is a way to make an armed standoff between two groups that don't know each other turn ugly without requiring one to be headed by a total fucking idiot.
But it's basically a
Pearl Harbor
parable. Given that the show is called Yamato, it seems somewhat poignant.

So, uh,

The show doesn't delve into it more than that, but it's easy to assume that it's fear and mistrust of the unknown that led to his order.

Branduil

It just felt like an exceptionally contrived way to write a
"humans are evil toooo!" message. Earth attacking aliens for the sake of attacking them makes no logical sense, even if you are evil, and given what we know of Shima's father, it doesn't seem likely he'd just blindly follow such a dishonorable and/or suicidal order either.
That, along with the overly-obsessed male gaze in this episode, makes it one of the weakest in the show so far to me.

The show doesn't delve into it more than that, but it's easy to assume that it's fear and mistrust of the unknown that led to his order.

It would have been believable if a nervous gunner just shot at the aliens unordered, but a general sitting on Earth wanting to attack them so much that he relieves Okita of his command makes no sense.

Guys. Let's say, hypothetically, if I wanted to watch some Fist of the North Star where do I start? The old original or is there some better point to start from? Like a newer movie or something.

Just watch the original. That's what you need to see in order to truly experience the series. The pacing can drag at times, but the show is really rewarding and you'll get what's so enduring about it.

What's there to be confused about? Every show I've watched with her involvement quickly turned vapid and dull.

While you're not wrong about Okada's 'talents', what I really took away from this post is that you need to watch Wandering Son and Hanasaku Iroha.

The point the manga's at now isn't the worst stopping point Togashi has had. He had stopped numerous times right in the middle of the Chimera Ant arc. That's the worst of it. Just hope he somehow makes it through the next arc in one go. It's a nice dream, anyway.

I doubt he can do it in one go unless it's another really short arc (which wouldn't make too much sense given the setup, but it could happen), but maybe in two or three gos if he keeps up at the 20-30 chapters in a row pace he's had lately.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It just felt like an exceptionally contrived way to write a
"humans are evil toooo!" message. Earth attacking aliens for the sake of attacking them makes no logical sense, even if you are evil, and given what we know of Shima's father, it doesn't seem likely he'd just blindly follow such a dishonorable and/or suicidal order either.
That, along with the overly-obsessed male gaze in this episode, makes it one of the weakest in the show so far to me.
This is a show where they go out of their way to say that the Wave Motion Gun is
a the syfy equivalent of a nuke
. Honestly, I found this big twist to be vastly more interesting than the original and probably more interesting than, say, the reasons Cylons attacked Humans on BSG.

Hell, the exact same thing happens in
Babylon 5
and it's fine there.

While you're not wrong about Okada's 'talents', what I really took away from this post is that you need to watch Wandering Son and Hanasaku Iroha.

Adaptations don't count and HanaIro really does have its own share of problems.

Branduil

This is a show where they go out of their way to say that the Wave Motion Gun is
a the syfy equivalent of a nuke
. Honestly, I found this big twist to be vastly more interesting than the original and probably more interesting than, say, the reasons Cylons attacked Humans on BSG.

Hell, the exact same thing happens in
Babylon 5
and it's fine there.

I don't think it's a very interesting twist, though, because
the Garmilons' response is still massively disproportionate and unjustified. All it tells me is that there's some crazy UN guy who's obsessed with attacking the first aliens who wander into the Solar System.

sonicmj1

But it's basically a
Pearl Harbor
parable. Given that the show is called Yamato, it seems somewhat poignant.

Pearl Harbor was the logical conclusion of Japan's imperial policy in the 30s. And the US oil embargo on Japan that forced it was a logical conclusion of the cozy relationship the US had with the Chinese at that time.

As I said, I appreciate the sentiment they were going for, but boiling down an incident like that into something started by an evil moron ignoring everyone around him for no reason doesn't serve anyone well.

Adaptations don't count and HanaIro really does have its own share of problems.

I don't think they 'count' from the perspective of saying Okada is actually good (she isn't), I was just pointing out that there are some really good shows she worked on that more people should see.

Hanasaku Iroha wasn't perfect, but aside from the film episodes I find it hard to find too many large faults with it, and for the most part I found the story and characters quite engrossing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom