• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comedy first, slice of life show second, you will understand as you watch the show.

So I imagined all the talk about school years, getting older and universities?

Shows like Azumanga or Hidamari do have larger SoL elements than pretty much everything else in this genre.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Speaking of moe girls doing moe things nonsense. I found this quote from Yuma Takahashi that was in an interview about Hidamari's anime production interesting.

For better or worse, Hidamari may have caused the eruption of all of these recent school life girls shows that people hate for reasons beyond my imagination! None of them are the greatest thing ever like Hidamari but I'm thankful anyway.

That's the thing though. A vast majority of these shows just feel like uninspired clones of Hidamari/Azumanga. Nobody will even remember most of them in a decade or so. Not saying every show needs to be on the level of Hidamari/Azumanga, just that I wish they would...try harder, I guess. So many of them are just lacking the substance that the greats of the genre have.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Azumanga will have to wait till after Hyouka
which has to wait till after SAO
but that clip is encouragiing

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
animegafs armond white

Man fuck off with your passive aggressive bullshit.

The series has not aged well at all. Its always been ugly. A lot of the comedy is poorly done as it the case with a lot of the 4koma series because they stretch the gags out for way too long.

Branduil

The manga of Azumanga is worth reading too, since it has jokes and scenes not in the anime, but Yotsuba& is Azuma's really masterpiece. Too bad it will never get an anime :(

Firemind

GA was pretty enjoyable. It tended to shoehorn a lot of pointless art class trivia and the lead girl with the glasses was a useless waste of space but it had a nice dynamic between all the characters.

Noda is so funny and adorable. I always looked forward to her ever changing hair styles.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The manga of Azumanga is worth reading too, since it has jokes and scenes not in the anime, but Yotsuba& is Azuma's really masterpiece. Too bad it will never get an anime :(

Gotta give Azuma credit for sticking to his guns, at least. I'm sure several studios have dropped sacks of yen at his door trying to get the rights to do an anime.

Jesus a lot came out today. Including old favorites. I'll probably info dump the impressions into one post.

Before I do that though, what are the first impressions on Pupa? Not sure if I should watch or not, but if the first impressions are good I'll start now. If not I'll wait and read further week's reviews.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Jesus a lot came out today. Including old favorites. I'll probably info dump the impressions into one post.

Before I do that though, what are the first impressions on Pupa? Not sure if I should watch or not, but if the first impressions are good I'll start now. If not I'll wait and read further week's reviews.

It turns out it's a 4 minute show. No reason to not watch it, I guess.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

It is short, like really, really short.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

censored/10

Well its 4 minutes long...

Branduil

It'll only take you 4 minutes to watch.

RIP Pupa.

Strange+ Episode 1
tumblr_mz5nljFY3M1qhrk6co5_250.gif

He is hilarious, and then Masumune and Kou just falling victim to each trap. Monthly Comic Zero Sum never fails to have some funny shoujo~ish manga, glad this got an anime.

Firemind

Just did the first draft of my top ten anime. Sort of iffy on Love Lab, I enjoy the show but not a big fan of the ending.

My top 5 are:

Silver Spoon
Non Non Biyori
Girls Und Panzer
Hataraku Maou-sama!
Love Lab

Of this year, right? Because out of those titles, the only one I've slightly heard of is Girls und Panzer.

How long have I been gone?

cajunator

Banned
Naw, I find it amusing but nothing exceptional.
And maybe I'm being a "he has an anime avatar" guy, but I lump LWA in with those class of shows so I just assumed you are into the four girl comedies. lol

Here. We. Go?

He likes Denpa Onna so he can still be saved.

You gotta be squiddin me.

Yuru Yuri > Squid Girl > Love Lab

I love all 3 though.

This ranking is correct.

I don't know man. I still got your back though. I can't believe some of the posts on this page.

How can anybody hate on Yuru Yuri?

I honestly have no idea. Its just pure joy in anime form. Some people dont like joy I guess.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I enjoyed Lucky Star but I'm glad I did drop after episode one in 2006(/7?) because honestly with the minuscule amount of anime I had seen up to that point and my lack of culture knowledge the later episodes really wouldn't have been as enjoyable.

jman2050

Golden Time 13

See, I told you all this two months ago. Ghost Banri is the main antagonist, and well deserving of getting punched in the face were he not completely incorporeal. He's like Kyubey only with less manipulation and more crybaby temper tantrums.

Meanwhile Koko is still the best. True rabu tier for sure.

wonzo

Banned
Man fuck off with your passive aggressive bullshit.
Thanks for proving my point.

The series has not aged well at all. Its always been ugly. A lot of the comedy is poorly done as it the case with a lot of the 4koma series because they stretch the gags out for way too long.
Azumanga Daioh is just as funny and entertaining today as when it first came out and more than easily stands toe-to-toe with the great manga.

Mr.Jeff

Noda is so funny and adorable. I always looked forward to her ever changing hair styles.
Yeah she was fun as was the rest of the class. It was the other lead, Kisaragi?, voiced by Tomatsu Haruka who was just dull and pointless. It didn't help that her voice was really grating since due to being typecast as the tsundere character for so long, sincerity sounds really out of place and forced.

Would still watch more of it but that one extra OVA was all the additional we'll get I guess.

Branduil

I predict that within 10 years anime series will be twice as animated, 10,000 times shorter, and so expensive that only the five richest kings in Europe will be able to buy the UBDs.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Thanks for proving my point.

The only thing you proved is that you're a prick.

If you want to disagree with my point then go do that. But you constantly insult other users with your obnoxious and rude analogies to random shit that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread or the discussion at hand and only do so to belittle other users or to provoke them.

Firemind

Is Azumanga Daioh the Seinfeld of anime? At first I couldn't fathom there is someone who actively despises it, but there you have it.

wonzo

Banned
The only thing you proved is that you're a prick.

If you want to disagree with my point then go do that. But you constantly insult other users with your obnoxious and rude analogies to random shit that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread or the discussion at hand and only do so to belittle other users or to provoke them.
Your lack of self awareness saying this is pretty amazing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Is Azumanga Daioh the Seinfeld of anime? At first I couldn't fathom there is someone who actively despises it, but there you have it.

Who despises Azumanga?

And no its not the Seinfeld of anime. Thats an awfully high bar to set.

Your lack of self awareness saying this is pretty amazing.

If you want to insult me then just do it. I am tired of you making rude snark filled insults at other users that you think are witty but are just incredibly petty and petulant.

I realize I have my own flaws but I don't go out of my way to mock and degrade other users on this forum because I disagree with something they wrote.

CorvoSol

That, however, doesn't exempt you from Tutu.

But magical giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirls

Lina would be considered downright stacked these days.

We're about five years away from tsunderes getting concave chests.

I guess so, but then again I feel like normally when a girl is complaining about her breast size in anime she's more well endowed than anybody is giving credit for. That and very rarely are those scenes any good. I think the only time I ever enjoyed one was the Azumanga scene with Osaka running around calling Sakaki an American.

Isn't every good human being a member of Team Mayaka?

So I won't be on that team, then?

kill la kill - 13

can ryuko just die

While I don't have any complaints with KLK, I kinda think I'd be okay if the show was instead focused entirely on Satsuki and her team.

No but you see it's
yuri ghost
rape, which is both hawt and unrealistic so it's totally okay.

Wasn't there an American movie about ghost romance?

The fuck am I reading?

Some people don't appreciate Rinne and Buster.

It's still very much a moe show, before people knew to hate moe shows.

In their defense, Azumanga's characters weren't the kind of wide-faced blob nightmares which people would later demonize Moe for.

Additionally anime spent a decade trying to copy Osaka's character in a slice of life show and none have succeeded.

I think it's like how, ever since Ice Age or maybe earlier, there's been some variation on a zany squirrel character in almost every CGI movie. Sometimes a character is too good for others to successfully copy.

Naruto Shippuden 344

Ending: Bad. Been awhile since the OP and ED for Naruto were both abysmal.

Don't worry, Tsunade. Madara definitely went easy on you.

There's a reason why he thought you were a cut above the rest.

Got a kick when I heard the hero motivation song playing while Madara talked at the end there. Yes, its mostly for Obito, but I laughed when it looked like they were making Madara appear to be the good guy.

cnet128

Banned
Mahou Sensou 1

This seems pretty damn supergeneric all round, and at the very beginning of the episode it felt like it was going to have no merit whatsoever so I was kind of hoping I could justify dropping it right off the bat. But as it turned out, this episode was actually kind of fun.

The MC has mad kendo skills and a magical power that's basically Shulk's visions from Xenoblade, which makes for some pretty sweet little action sequences. And the show has this hilarious magic system where
any random bystander who gets hit by any kind of magic gets automatically upgraded into a wizard, which results in three impromptu new magic users in the space of this episode
. I expect this mechanic isn't going to get quite so much use once the show actually gets going, particularly since there's also a rule that
hitting a wizard with a magical attack in the "real world" means losing all your magic forever
, making one wonder why the fuck you would ever use a magical attack in the real world at all. So I suspect the vast majority of the action will take place in the parallel wizard world where there are no
innocent bystanders to wizardify

Oh, and it's kind of convenient that
the MC's magic is entirely non-offensive, meaning that he can use it to excellent effect in the real world while more traditional magical-attack users are kind of screwed there
. Butyeah.

Anyway, the action seems kind of fun and the main girl is cute if generic, so I'll give this one a few episodes and see if the narrative continues to entertain.

But magical giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirls

I guess so, but then again I feel like normally when a girl is complaining about her breast size in anime she's more well endowed than anybody is giving credit for. That and very rarely are those scenes any good. I think the only time I ever enjoyed one was the Azumanga scene with Osaka running around calling Sakaki an American.

1. We just said Tutu isn't really much of a magical girl show.

2. I also enjoyed that subtle breast size joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom